• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Watching the IGN review footage, it looks kinda boring, like a half-rate Uncharted clone.
Really it's more like 1 parts uncharted, 1 parts Souls, and 1 parts Metroid.

I might wait for a patch, because the footage from this GB quick look seems janky as all hell. Animations seem very jumpy.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
nice reviews, watched the EZA vid so far.

i may have to look into this, seems like a great time.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
High enough to confirm impulse buy. Halp.

Need details in the technical issues though. That's a dealbreaker for me.

babycakin

Nov 2, 2019
Either I'm gonna play this for the holidays or Death Stranding. Not sure which to pick but this is sounding like the better choice.

Right now tho, Pokemon comes first.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Good reviews.

I saw a bit of footage from fextralife on twitch and it looked solid. I'll most likely get it next year on a good sale.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty decent actually. Seems like a huge discrepancy between the two numbers though.

Maybe 12 is just the main story? Are there meaningful side quests in the game, or would the other ~15 hours of gameplay be just your bog standard collection/repetitive missions?

Hopefully the consensus is that it's good! Won't be able to play it till some steep discounts, tho.

Oct 27, 2017
Good scores, but I'm deep into Death Stranding and the praise isn't effusive enough for me to check it out immediately. I'll wait for a sale.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Damn, and I really liked the Force Unleashed games too. Could you expand on your comparison between the two games?

Force Awakens is a dumber straight-ahead combat game, and at first, you'll be glad to see J:FO branch out with inspirations from other adventure games. (I in no way apologize for Force Awakens' weaker points, it sure has 'em.) But too quickly into my runtime with J:FO, I wished I could enjoy combat options and Force powers the way I did in Force Awakens 1 & 2. I felt more like a Jedi badass playing those. I didn't have the same taste in my mouth by the end of this one. I talk about this issue in J:FO, about a painfully paltry Force meter, in my review.

Jesus I cannot stop mixing up Awakens and Unleashed, someone Force shove me off a bridge already

Last edited:

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the one review saying it takes 6 -10 hours yet most other reviews talk about taking 20 plus?

anyway great scores and can't wait to dig in!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's really weird, looking at this game and Death Stranding. Both reviewed very well on the aggregate sites. However ... when the reviews are negative, they are scathingly negative. You would expect the negative opinions to be ratcheted down to "didn't impress me", and yet both games have the negative reviews implying that nothing at all about either game is good. Just like with Death Stranding, I think I'm going to have to consume a few hours of streams to decide if it's for me or not.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
We're in a timeline where within a week, a new ea starwars is handily outscoring a new kojima IP and first console pokemon.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Favorable reviews. So does anyone know how it compares to the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series? My birthday is tomorrow so I'm tempted to spoil myself and get it.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Ars says 12 hour romp, short shit.
When it comes to Metroidvanias, I wouldn't read too much into completion playtimes unless they did 100%/Platinumed the game in that time. Difficulty levels (iirc this has different ones), player's skill level, how much additional exploration & possible side quests they do, how quickly they find solutions to solving puzzles/circumventing obstacles, if they just run through everything or try to find secrets or just take in the scenery etc. Something that is 12 hours for one player can be 18 for another even with similar completion percentages. I imagine reviewers are mostly rushing through the game with fairly minimal extra, so non-reviewers taking their time with everything and maybe going for 100% can spend noticeably more time on the game.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
What's up with the one review saying it takes 6 -10 hours yet most other reviews talk about taking 20 plus?

There is definitely the ability to spend a lot of time looking for secrets and such. I'm 5 hours in on the 2nd planet and i haven't found even close to half of everything on the 1st and 2nd planet. I didn't read that specific review but I imagine they didn't get anywhere close to all of it either. Not that that's a requirement ofc for the time to finish a game, just something to consider I guess.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Force Awakens is a dumber straight-ahead combat game, and at first, you'll be glad to see J:FO branch out with inspirations from other adventure games. (I in no way apologize for Force Awakens' weaker points, it sure has 'em.) But too quickly into my runtime with J:FO, I wished I could enjoy combat options and Force powers the way I did in Force Awakens 1 & 2. I felt more like a Jedi badass playing those. I didn't have the same taste in my mouth by the end of this one. I talk about this issue in J:FO, about a painfully paltry Force meter, in my review.

At least get the name of the game right lol...

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Do many reviews mention how long this game is? Still playing Death Stranding and The Outer Worlds, plus got Pokemon and Shenmue 3 coming up, so not sure I'll buy right away unless there's a substantial campaign on offer.
If you rush as fast as ars did and skip everything, 10-12 hours. If you actually stick around and do side stuff and collectibles, upwards of 30 potentially.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019

I imagine if you make a beeline for the end and aren't playing on the higher difficulties it's not that long. On the "second" planet the game wanted me to hop back in the ship. . .but the map I was on was like 50% explored and I spent a good chunk of time trying to find what I could.

There is gameplay length here if you want there to be.

But too quickly into my runtime with J:FO, I wished I could enjoy combat options and Force powers the way I did in Force Awakens 1 & 2. I felt more like a Jedi badass playing those. I didn't have the same taste in my mouth by the end of this one.

That. . .really wouldn't make ANY sense in the context of this game though (also I assume we're talking about The Force Unleashed).

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was wrong on MC prediction but I knew my trust for Respawn will be paid, got my copy and it's reaaaaallly good

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Good scores.

I personally think that the game score will differ depending on if you like Souls games and what difficulty you play on.

The game is meant to be played on Jedi Master or above I would say.

And obviously being a Star Wars fan will help but there it's definitely a good game in it's own right as well.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Kat´s review gives me pause but it´s nice to see that things apparently worked out. Another one for November then and SW really needed this one.
That said, why couldn't Respawn and EA put tougher an interesting gameplay video or even trailer? They made it look like another run off the mill license game with lots of money put into the graphics up to now.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
I just watched the IGN review. Why does the reviewer never lock onto enemies? Looks like the camera is always at a weird angle when he's fighting as a result.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insane. If you asked me a year out that this would do better than console pokemon with the critics, I'd call you a liar.

Oct 27, 2017

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017

Force Awakens is a movie ;)

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
In Respawn We Trust.
If I see it down to $40 on Black Friday I'll definitely be pulling the trigger.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Jesus I cannot stop mixing up Awakens and Unleashed, someone Force shove me off a bridge already
I was actually worried about that too reading impressions about how the combat is methodical and souls-esque. Like yeah that's great but at times I also want to feel like a badass Jedi