• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-hero-banner-2.jpg

MetaCritic: 81
OpenCritic: 84

IGN: 9/10
It's been ages since we got a great single-player Star Wars action game, but Jedi: Fallen Order makes up for a lot of lost time. A strong cast sells a dark story while keeping things fun and loyal to Star Wars lore, and fast, challenging combat mixes with energetic platforming, decent puzzles, and diverse locations to explore for an all-around amazing game.

Easy Allies: 9/10
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is a fantastic title and stands as one of the best Star Wars games yet.

Press Start: 9/10
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is the Star Wars game fans have been waiting for. It brings together a strong story, addictive combat and an earnest dedication to recreating that Star Wars magic to offer one of the best Star Wars games in over a decade. It's an experience that any Star Wars fan can't afford to miss.

Game Informer: 8.8/10
Despite these numerous little problems, Respawn's maiden voyage with Star Wars is largely a success. I couldn't put this game down, both for the thrill of exploring and wanting to see where the story took me next. The inspirations taken from Dark Souls, Uncharted, and Metroid Prime unite to create something unique that just happens to work incredibly well for this beloved license. Like most starships in this universe, Jedi: Fallen Order could use a little polish, but the rust doesn't hold it back from roaring with excitement.

GameSpot: 8/10
It's true that Fallen Order borrows liberally from other action games, but those elements work together with Respawn's combat and environment design, and a story that finds humanity in the Force and in its characters, to hone in on what makes the world of Star Wars worthy of revisiting again and again. Even with some rough edges, Fallen Order represents one of the most compelling game additions to the Star Wars franchise in years.

Shacknews: 7/10
While Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has some exciting combat and moments of genuinely interesting storytelling and acting, it just falls short of hitting the mark. It borrows heavily from several genres without actually adding anything new to the conversation. That's not to say it's bad, it just didn't leave me wanting to revisit this galaxy.

PowerUp Gaming: 6/10
With the noteworthy exception of its aesthetics, no single element of Fallen Order feels fully realised. Combat rests too often on bland, unbalanced encounters while ignoring the potential depths of its duels, and exploration feels good but the worlds themselves emerge underdeveloped and disjointed. Both of which are issues I could easily overlook in service of a good Star Wars story but Fallen Order fails to deliver anything we haven't seen before, only now slightly worse thanks to an unfocused script.

There are pockets of joy and engagement in Fallen Order, but ultimately it feels like a game developed a long time ago, before Star Wars moved on to brighter galaxies far, far away from this.

GamesRadar: 4/5
Still, even if this isn't the most polished Star Wars game we've seen, it's also the first one in years that comes closest to capturing the magic of the series. Battlefront looked like Star Wars. Fallen Order, with an endearing earnestness that mirrors its heroes, gets what makes the series special. It's in the glimpses of strange worlds and cultures we want to learn more about, it's enjoying the ragtag groups who slowly learn to trust each other, and it's the fact that lightsabers are really great fun. Especially when you get them right.

USGamer: 3.5/5
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order comes painfully close to being the best action game of the year, but it ultimately falls short due to pacing problems and a host of technical issues. Still, this is the first step into a larger world for a franchise that has persistently struggled since its acquisition by EA.

EuroGamer: No Recommendation / No Score
When I reached the end of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, I didn't feel like I'd had a rewarding experience. I was relieved it was over. With some side-meandering, it took around 30 hours, and I didn't enjoy a lot of them. I'll admit crunching a Souls-like in less than four days is an unnatural and gruelling experience: I imagine if I'd played Fallen Order over several months, I would have been less frustrated, but probably still bored. It's such a shame, as Fallen Order has an incredible gameplay experience at its core, with fantastic environments and well-directed action sequences. Yet it's unable to sustain this thanks to some fundamental design problems.

As for the story? Well, it never gets off the ground.

Polygon: No Score
Yes, there's a lot about this game that's awkward. But to do something different, you have to do something different, and that means it may take some time for a game to find its footing. Jedi: Fallen Order is enjoyable, with caveats about its performance and some aspects of its design attached, but it goes places I didn't expect, and it gets there by a route I would never have considered. That's a bold choice for a game this inherently commercial.

Jedi: Fallen Order is a flawed, sometimes messy game, but it's a Star Wars experience I didn't know I wanted. And after finishing it, I definitely want more.

Last edited:

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Who's the poster who said he would take a ban if this game got a single game of the year award?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My review at Ars, no score/number:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has incredibly good elements, and they play out exceptionally well in its first three hours. Force-power diversity, combat animations, beautiful opening zones, clever puzzles, and Jedi-salvation stakes could lead anybody to believe they were in for a Star Wars single-player epic worth investing in.
The trouble is, the game begins to run on fumes after those three hours. The presentation declines. The combat suffers from a hamstrung approach to difficulty balance and Force-power generosity. The plot becomes a painfully telegraphed "morality tale," burdened in particular by terribly sold "conflicts" between Cal and his accomplices. The incentives for so much backtracking get bungled.
Each of those issues would be easier to swallow if it appeared in isolation, surrounded otherwise by a game that turned out to be solid-but-redundant in its 12-hour romp. But as a combo platter, the whole package misses its "three great tastes taste great together" sales pitch. I left J:FO unmoved as both a Star Wars fan and an action-adventure gaming fan. Despite its polish and best ideas, I wish I'd just reinstalled both Force Unleashed games, and I encourage anybody eager for a fun, Force-filled, third-person Star Wars experience this year to do the same.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, we're looking at a high 80s average. Best scoring EA title in several decades lol.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Excited for this! Looks good! Opencritic is already down to 86, it'll be lower than Death Stranding by the time I wake up tomorrow so I'll have to unfortunately have to cancel my purchase obviously. edit - oh wait its back up, never mind purchase is happening!!

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Quote from Brad on the Giant Bomb Quick: "I legit think this has the best storytelling I've seen this year".

Says it's on his tentative GOTY list.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually read through a handful of reviews there on Opencritic and I don't see how you can say GotY! Sounds like they tried to get some patches to reviewers too late for technical issues, but that wouldn't have changed their thoughts on the story and characters. I kept my expectations low on that front.

In any case I look forward to it tomorrow. Hopefully I don't run into the same technical issues.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit less than halfway through the game, and yeah 9 seems appropriate. Really well designed, with a much better script and just overall storytelling than I was expecting. The biggest detractor is honestly the technical side. The game's a bit buggy and performance isn't great, even on a high end PC

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
87/100 right now.
I still believe in Respawn. 89 is within our grasp!
Buggy and performance issues are the only thing stopping me from buying it asap

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I haven't watched a lot of pre-release footage so this might be a known quantity to most, but this map is incredibly evocative of Metroid Prime...makes me really want to pick this up lol.

star_wars_map_min.gif

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
These reviews make me so freaking happy, man. Glad to see this one worked out!!!

Hopefully they iron out the apparent bugs soon too.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Who's the poster who said he would take a ban if this game got a single game of the year award?

OH I remember that dude lol

He replied to my comment. I have the comment bookmarked but I do know how to find bookmarks lol

Overall great scores. So glad to see a great SW game in years

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I'm a bit less than halfway through the game, and yeah 9 seems appropriate. Really well designed, with a much better script and just overall storytelling than I was expecting. The biggest detractor is honestly the technical side. The game's a bit buggy and performance isn't great, even on a high end PC
ugh I can't do another links awakening. And all I have is a pro and a base xbox

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to love this - KOTOR is my favorite game of all time and who doesn't love Star Wars? And it's been a LONG time since we've gotten an excellent single player game with the IP.

But even with these great reviews, every bit of gameplay just reminds me of Uncharted with its basic platforming and puzzles with a SW skin - and the combat looks okay but not exceptional enough to carry the game. Clearly this isn't the case, but it's like the narrators of each of these reviews sing all their praise over very, IMO, ho-hum looking gameplay.

I'll pick it up for sure. There's something good here, no doubt. But I'm just not seeing it in the gameplay. Maybe it's all just super early.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems very solid, but again, like with Pokemon, there are so few reviews. Are some publishers just not giving out many review codes these says or something?

Also, is there not a meta link yet?

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Where's your review?
"Star Wards Jedi: Fallen Order has been incredibly fun for the 10 hours I've played it." "Death Stranding was an absolute slog that I quit playing after 10 hours, watched videos of the cut scenes on youtube, and wish I could get those ten hours back because that story is SHITE". thank you, that was my TED talk.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Seems very solid, but again, like with Pokemon, there are so few reviews. Are some publishers just not giving out many review codes these says or something?

Also, is there not a meta link yet?
There is, but the disparity in meta for each platform is huge, 83 for PS4, 85 for X1 and 92 on PC because PC got all the perfect scores while still having less reviews than the PS4 version.