• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Control takes around that long to beat and that was one of my favorite games this year. I don't think it'll be that bad.

I have Control.

I spent more time than this on the game and I'm not even halfway through.

That's why I said "for these types of games", because exploration and rewards usually give it more length. And in Control's case, I'm sure you can rush it to finish it but it kind of goes against the best the game has to offer (so far).

It's not a big problem if it's well paced imo.

How many people need to tell you this before you understand it's subjective?

I didn't say it was a big problem. I said I had a big problem. As in, for me.

If it's a short well paced experience I'm sure that's great for EA access users, for me if I get this I'm staring at 70 euros. I couldn't justify this.

So after seeing the clear inspirations the game took from other games I enjoy and were meaty enough (regardless of semantics and nomenclature) , I said it would be really disappointing to hear it's really short.

That's it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have Control.

I spent more time than this on the game and I'm not even halfway through.

That's why I said "for these types of games", because exploration and rewards usually give it more length. And in Control's case, I'm sure you can rush it to finish it but it kind of goes against the best the game has to offer (so far).

I didn't say it was a big problem. I said I had a big problem. As in, for me.

If it's a short well paced experience I'm sure that's great for EA access users, for me if I get this I'm staring at 70 euros. I couldn't justify this.

So after seeing the clear inspirations the game took from other games I enjoy and were meaty enough (regardless of semantics and nomenclature) , I said it would be really disappointing to hear it's really short.

That's it.
Yes, I edited my post long before you posted as I realized that.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
12 hours for a souls like action rpg with supposedly metroid vania design would be utterly disappointing.
Why? Isn't that the norm for Metroidvanias? Pretty sure I spent around 20-30 hours on Metroid Prime as well.

Don't expect this to be an actual metroidvania. It's probably going to be failrly linear/uncharted styled but with side-rooms and areas that are pocket-sized metroidvanias.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Replayability is more important to me than a game's intrinsic length. Metal Gear Rising is a very short game, but it is one of my favorites games of all time. Sekiro is, in comparison, a huge, meaty game, yet I love both equally. I absolutely would appreciate more content in both, but I'm not dissatisfied at what they bring because every second presented is intently excellent due to the underlying mechanics.

I'm hoping this game even approaches the level of enjoyment I get from MGR and Sekiro. I know it's a much more accessible game, but I'm not so snobbish as to be incapable of liking an entire spectrum of combat mechanics and design. I enjoy Batman and old Assassin's Creed games!

What I've read regarding the decisions they've made for difficulty levels is very promising. Frankly, I hope the hardest difficulty is unlockable in the vein of DMC games. I find that to be an easy metaphorical carrot to drive replayability, but otherwise I'll just start with the second highest difficulty and go up from there.

Ultimately, if the gameplay is good, then I can enjoy replaying this for years - just as I do with MGR and Jedi Knight 2.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
it's just, ill probably fall in love with this game so yeah the more time i spend in it the better. honestly if it's just like 6 planets that would be disappointing to me. perhaps if there were like, dense as fuck with so much to do in them it would be alright but i would rather have more varied environments. at least judging from the previews, the enemy variety is def there, at least on Zeffo.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I guess 12-15 hours max for campaign and up to 25 hours for everything.

There are 5 or 6 planets iirc.

Think it's gonna be 20 hours for the main story

Those are some very weird expectations (12-15 hours especially is fucking hilarious and that would be a straight insult). Based on what exactly? There are 5+ planets with a metroidvanian leveldesign. So backtracking and shortcuts with souls like combat. Why would this be a 3-4 times shorter game than Sekiro and Bloodborne? The game should have some good funding behind it with EA. Respawns second development team started making this somewhere around 2014-2015. There's absolutely no indication the game will be that short, on the contrary.

It's not an action RPG tho.

Both Respawn and EA are calling Jedi Fallen Order an "action/adventure" title.

So? Uncharted 4 is 15 hours if you rush through the story from A to B and that's a linear game.

I trust Respawn that this is way longer.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Those are some very weird expectations (12-15 hours especially is fucking hilarious and that would be a straight insult). Based on what exactly? There are 5+ planets with a metroidvanian leveldesign. So backtracking and shortcuts with souls like combat. Why would this be a 3-4 times shorter game than Sekiro and Bloodborne? The game should have some good funding behind it with EA. Respawns second development team started making this somewhere around 2014-2015. There's absolutely no indication the game will be that short, on the contrary.

So? Uncharted 4 is 15 hours if you rush through the story from A to B and that's a linear game.

I trust Respawn that this is way longer.
That's what I expect, but if the game takes longer to beat then that would be better considering their isn't any drop in quality.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
As much as it sucks not playing it early, it's a great call tbh.

Never underestimate the power of a speed runner, even on a blind playthrough.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because you'll be able to finish it within the trial limitations.

Trials should be game-by-game specific and not time specific, so for instance in this game; first 25% or something.
Trials in the past have had limits before. It's to do with spoilers in this instance.

Note I was not talking about a trial in any case, I was referring to the usual 5 day early release of the full game.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Well, bummer about no EA early access trial, but I'm really looking forward to this. I'm hoping for 20 hr campaign, 40 to see everything

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though it won't have early access, does that necessarily mean there won't be a trial once the game releases?

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually quite a bit hyped for this game. It looks like it will be good and the game director in charge knows how to make epic shit.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Yea it sucks that we won't be able to play it early, hell i was going to buy EA access for 1 month for November just to play it early.
But i get it, it's a single player game, it won't work for that type of game, maybe they think people can beat it in early access.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So I bought Battlefront II because it's on sale at 7 bucks right now, and I have to say I am impressed by the support EA has given to the game and how DICE managed to make something really good out of a disastrous launch.

I'm a lot more confident now for Fallen Order as EA clearly is trying to salvage the SW licence. I also didn't know it was on STEAM. I think I will pass on Death Stranding to get this. :x

nQhLSzF.png

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
So I bought Battlefront II because it's on sale at 7 bucks right now, and I have to say I am impressed by the support EA has given to the game and how DICE managed to make something really good out of a disastrous launch.

I'm a lot more confident now for Fallen Order as EA clearly is trying to salvage the SW licence. I also didn't know it was on STEAM. I think I will pass on Death Stranding to get this. :x

nQhLSzF.png

BF I DLC were also really good.

Both BFI and BFII had poor launches (BF2 still sold 7 million copies in the quarter despite the controversy), but the post-launch support was extraordinary, no wonder they sold 33 million copies.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
BF I DLC were also really good.

Both BFI and BFII had poor launches (BF2 still sold 7 million copies in the quarter despite the controversy), but the post-launch support was extraordinary, no wonder they sold 33 million copies.

Well BF 1 made you pay for it so that was kind of unacceptable. (bought game at launch)

BF 2's redemption is entirely free so the amount of updates and content it keeps getting is absolutely insane. (on top of not splitting the playerbase. But I guess some modes suffer from the leveling system in that regard. Still, minor gripe for such a fantastic turnaround)

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'd install only the flight portion of BF2 if I could, simply because it's so damn good and I care nothing for the rest of the game. Disney needs to license their IPs out to every developer worth a damn to create fully realized Star Wars and Marvel entries of every genre.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

nQhLSzF.png

Where is it on sale? Origin still says it's 30 bucks and PSN says it's 17 bucks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Twelve hours...? For a third person metroidvania-style game? That seems...abnormally short, especially for a game that will presumably have a LOT of cutscenes compared to your usual Castlevania or Metroid.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I guess 12-15 hours max for campaign and up to 25 hours for everything.

There are 5 or 6 planets iirc.
Sounds perfect to me.

I just want a good ass video game. I don't want a longer video game just for the sake of it being longer.

Twelve hours...? For a third person metroidvania-style game? That seems...abnormally short, especially for a game that will presumably have a LOT of cutscenes compared to your usual Castlevania or Metroid.
Don't know where you got the idea this game was going to have a lot of cut scenes. From the footage we've seen I suspect they'll be quite short for the most part.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know where you got the idea this game was going to have a lot of cut scenes. From the footage we've seen I suspect they'll be quite short for the most part.

It's a Star Wars game with a bunch of known actors in it. They're absolutely going to make use of those performers - there will be significantly more cutscenes than something like a Metroid Prime game or an Igavania by that nature alone.

Oct 30, 2017
since i will be getting it through origin, i would be delighted with a tight-as-hell 10-hour campaign and nothing more. if there's more content to justify a longer runtime, fine, but i care infinitely more about pacing than longevity.

there literally has not been a good single-player star wars game in like 15 years. if one comes out that actually makes people want more, it's doing something right.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
\
Are there any recent updates on Pro/X enhancements for this?
Nothing beyond the fact that there will be a higher framerate mode on the Pro and X.

It's a Star Wars game with a bunch of known actors in it. They're absolutely going to make use of those performers - there will be significantly more cutscenes than something like a Metroid Prime game or an Igavania by that nature alone.
Sure, I'm just saying I don't think this is a Kojima production where we're going to be enduring lengthy cut scenes driving up the play time by hours.

I would put money on the reviews not coming out until the day of release.
This seems unlikely. I think we'll see review at least a day before release.

Status
Not open for further replies.