• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
The stutter in this game is brutal. I've got an i9 9900K and an RTX 2080. The game is installed on a Samsung M2 NVMe drive. I've tried the fixes in the OP, but nothing is helping.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Renaming the intro .mp4 to something else just gives me a black screen. Anyone else getting this?

Last edited:

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably 3/4 of the way finished .Other than the few stutters during cut scenes or loading, this game runs like butter. It's so gorgeous too. I haven't had any kind of RDR2 like issues such as crashing at all.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just had my 3rd random 10-15 second freeze in the game. Thought for sure it was hung up but it finally kicked back in. No clue what's causing it but man is it annoying. My stutters are quite minor and not very common, this issue is much more concerning.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get rid of most of the stutter on my machine by capping the framerate to 60fps using the in game options.

Disabling cloud saves helped a bit, but it was still wonky before capping the frame rate.

Playing at 1440p, all settings maxed. Disabled chromatic aberration and dynamic res.

GTX 1080
SSD
i7 6700K

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i9 9900k
16GB Ram
GTX 2080

Had 1 crash but absolutely no frame drops, stutter, anything at all on max settings. I play at 1080p though, fps capped at 120, sits at 120 at all times (120hz monitor).

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
9900k stock
2080s
32gb ddr4 @ 3200mhz
SSD

Playing at 1440p with all settings at Epic (AA set to medium) with all the crappy post processing guff (motion blur/vigenetting etc.) turned off and I get an average of about 100fps. I have played on three planets up to Dathomir (sp) and the only slow down is a slight freeze when a new area loads in or when there is a very post process heavy cut scene but even then i have only seen it drop to 70fps.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I'm probably 3/4 of the way finished .Other than the few stutters during cut scenes or loading, this game runs like butter. It's so gorgeous too. I haven't had any kind of RDR2 like issues such as crashing at all.

I think the game is beautiful and it perplexes me when I see users or critics saying the graphics aren't great. The mocap too especially on Cal and Merrin is fantastic. You really see the acting. Maybe my bar is too low but I dug it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
despite high framerates, the game just does not feel smooth. Frametime inconsistencies, small stutters, completely out-of-nowhere momentarily framerate drops...

it's actually quite disappointing.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, I feel like some of us are just lucky. There's little to no stutter during gameplay for me, they're mostly persist during cutscenes or when loading the map.

Also, respawn time on my relatively old PC without SSD. It's mostly 10 seconds, everywhere in every situation. I've heard that people on PC are also experiencing long loading times like on consoles, which is unbelieveable according to my experience.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I feel like some of us are just lucky. There's little to no stutter during gameplay for me, they're mostly persist during cutscenes or when loading the map.

Also, respawn time on my relatively old PC without SSD. It's mostly 10 seconds, everywhere in every situation. I've heard that people on PC are also experiencing long loading times like on consoles, which is unbelieveable according to my experience.

I did have one small section that had a long black screen load time, but I haven't seen that since then.

jorimt

Mar 8, 2018
Regarding the stutter, there's probably little that can be done to remedy this on the user side; it's the way the engine (UE4 in general, really; The Outer Worlds had a similar issue) loads in new areas/assets, which appears to rely heavily on on-demand swapping from storage to DRAM/VRAM for initial load-in per area/chunk (instead of background pre-loading/caching before you reach the areas in question, I suppose).

- 1440p G-SYNC @144Hz
- 1080 Ti
- 32GB DDR4 @3200MHz
- 960 EVO NVMe M.2

I initially tried it on my 6TB WB Black 7200 RPM drive, and moving it to my SSD really only helped reduce load times.

If a game isn't specifically tuned to take advantage of an SSD (say, like Star Citizen, which I hear is basically unplayable in this respect without an SSD), it's not going to do much to reduce load stutter like this over a good HDD (which seems to be the case here).

Jun 14, 2019
yup surge 2 had this issue aswell, its a texture streaming issues and console and ini tweeaks arent fixing it, and just to show how bad it actually is for texture streaming please see these two screens taking at fully maxed on a ssd on my pc

pay close attention to the blue roof building just in front

huge ass blurry textures

49085125293_02fefffaec_o.png

step a lil closer and poof full detailed

49085848892_4a6d51ec19_o.png

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Digital Foundry hasn't done any PC impressions yet so I figured I'd ask here.

I have an Xbox One X with a really nice home theater setup that I usually prefer playing most games on. However, I also have a high end gaming PC with a 2080TI in it. How much better looking/running is the PC version in comparison to the Xbox One X version? Is it worth sacrificing my home theater setup/comfort for?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

I have an Xbox One X with a really nice home theater setup that I usually prefer playing most games on. However, I also have a high end gaming PC with a 2080TI in it. How much better looking/running is the PC version in comparison to the Xbox One X version? Is it worth sacrificing my home theater setup/comfort for?
The game doesn't look good enough on a high end PC that I'd assume it's vastly better looking than the X version. Rather, the big difference between console and PC is performance. While the game doesn't run flawlessly on PC, you're looking at vastly better performance on PC vs. what you can get on even the Pro consoles.

We're talking like 60-100 FPS at 1440p on a 2080ti, vs. 40-60 FPS at 1440p on X1X.

Oct 30, 2017
The game doesn't look good enough on a high end PC that I'd assume it's vastly better looking than the X version. Rather, the big difference between console and PC is performance. While the game doesn't run flawlessly on PC, you're looking at vastly better performance on PC vs. what you can get on even the Pro consoles.

We're talking like 60-100 FPS at 1440p on a 2080ti, vs. 40-60 FPS at 1440p on X1X.

The performance mode is 1080p on the 1X. And you can easily reach 4K60 with a 2080Ti.

No brainer Zutrax

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France

I'd go with PC. 60fps+ guaranteed vs 45-55 fluctuation on XBOX performance mode cinches in for me.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

I can answer this since I decided to download the PC version. I have a SLI Titan X Pascal GPU Rig paired with a I7 3930x OC to 4.8. I still have DDR 3 ram as I built this rig a few years ago, but it can still muscle through most games. While the game is not SLI compatible, I am able to run it a 4k Native, 60FPS with all settings to Epic except I dropped shadows to High or whatever the 2nd highest. For the most part, it maintains 60fps. In the opening of the game it never dropped below 60 with the exception of transitions from cut scenes to game play where I saw a 2-3 frame rate drop. Then in the first big cinematic where you first meet one of the main bad guys/girl it dropped to 40's. But in gameplay for the rest of the level rock solid 60fps.

However...and you knew this was coming...there are still some hitches as you play. The opening are was fine, but the first planet you get some hitches depending on where you are at. The thing is, these hitches are EXACTLY in the same place that they are in the Xbox One X version. On the first planet, there is a series of platforming you go through right before you get to the first Zip line you go down. As you are jumping from platforms and approaching this Zip line it hitches, drops frames etc. for a very brief but noticeable moment. On the "X" is happens in the exact same spot.

No matter what your hardware, those hitches as it appears to be loading in stuff happens all the time. I tested reducing settings, resolution and no matter what it still hitches in that exact same area. I have the game installed on the PC on a SSD as well. On the "X" I also have it on a SSD but moved it to the internal HDD due to DF's suggestion and this hitch still exist. It is the game..not the hardware.

However overall, if you have the rig it definitely runs better overall on PC. On "X" it is 1440p with a pretty consistent 30fps with occasional drops and these odd hitches. On PC I am at 4k native, rock solid 60fps (minus the above hitches).

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

X runs at 1080p in performance mode hitting 40-60fps. In quality mode it runs at 1440p and maxes at 30fps with some dips.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

You need your 2080TI as part of your home theater setup.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
yup surge 2 had this issue aswell, its a texture streaming issues and console and ini tweeaks arent fixing it, and just to show how bad it actually is for texture streaming please see these two screens taking at fully maxed on a ssd on my pc

pay close attention to the blue roof building just in front

huge ass blurry textures

49085125293_02fefffaec_o.png

step a lil closer and poof full detailed

49085848892_4a6d51ec19_o.png
Hmmm, I would say try and utilise some of console unlocker stuiff floating around out there to adjust mip map bias!

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I'm doing PC then.

Honestly... fair, I've thought about it, but I'm having a tough time getting Displayport to play nice with my receiver.
I've got an overclocked 2080. It's a blast to connect it to my home theater. I'll never go back to multiplats on console. Fallen order is a great experience on pc.

Oct 25, 2017
Much later in this game now, and yeah you kind of get used to the drops once you know when to expect it.

Luckily I've not really had it happen in combat.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy with performance. I've settled on locking FPS to 70 with RTSS. 1440p, 70fps, all max settings. It's been locked at 70 all the time, aside from the minor asset loading. 4 worlds in.

2080/8700 combo

Game is super pretty imo.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh... any ETA for a patch? Performance is kinda dodgy with my 2070S/3700X... loaded on a SATA SSD.

Patch dropped today. Here are the patch notes (source: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-D...rder-Patch-Notes-w-c-Nov-18/m-p/8444865#M1456):

Hey everyone,

We're in the process of releasing a PC Patch for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. We have a patch that will follow on Xbox One and PS4, also due out this week.

• We've fixed a texture flickering issue that would display on the screen while driving the AT-AT on Kashyyyk
  • Sometimes the input from the arrow keys would fail to respond within menus, this has now been fixed.
  • Dynamic resolution settings will now save properly.
  • Fixed an issued where the game could become slow and loading times longer than expected.
We've been blown away from all the feedback we've received so far, and we're so happy that you've been enjoying Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

Please do keep the feedback, fanart, suggestions and everything else coming!

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am i missing out on lowering settings from epic to high? From the one graphics comparison i can find it looks basically identical on every single setting. Is there a video or article somewhere that goes more indepth? Doesn't seem like 1440p and 60fps is gonna be hard to get in this at all on my 1070.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Man, I might just wait for a patch, this stuttering is not great on my end.
Wait, I think it's my xbox one controller causing the performance drops. Is this a thing? I connect via bluetooth and I noticed that when my GPU usage was dropping down to single digit percent, my controller started flashing for a second. Almost like it was losing signal.
This is very unusual for me to hear about -- don't think I've heard of the Xbox controller causing severe performance issues before.

I'm playing with a controller too but I'm using the dedicated dongle -- I generally tend not to trust Bluetooth connectivity in devices unless it's Apple, but I haven't tested Bluetooth connection with an Xbox controller since the feature was introduced in the updated controllers years ago.
Old-ish posts I know, but I had this issue with Gears 5. Using an XB1 pad with Bluetooth made the framerate tank to the 40s or lower after a while. Fixed itself as soon as I connected it with a wire.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
3700x
2080ti
32GB DDR4 3000 RAM
Samsung EVO 970 m.2

80-144fps. with all settings maxed out @1440p

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I feel like the thread title should get a title change about the patch as the hitches are basically non existent anymore at least on my end.

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017
TCL 6 Series Windows HDR has been broken since the latest Roku release. You can fix it by switching the input name to Game Console and the content type reported to your display as full-screen video.

So I get the part about making the input name to Game Console but what do you mean by the content type being reported as full screen video? If you mean setting the video settings in the game to fullscreen I tried that with the game console input and it still looks super washed out :(

Jsee80

Nov 18, 2017
So I get the part about making the input name to Game Console but what do you mean by the content type being reported as full screen video? If you mean setting the video settings in the game to fullscreen I tried that with the game console input and it still looks super washed out :(

Goto Settings, system, system update on the TV. An update just came out tonight that fixes the dark screen bug.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

I have the game on PC (9900k, 2080ti) and Xbox One X and the PC experience is much better than on console. On certain planets you can really feel the fps on console compared to PC so I'd 100% recommend PC for this title.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
After yesterday's patch, I still get loading stutters but they're like a quick hitch now rather than the whole game kinda stuttering for a few seconds to load things in. I can still perceive when the game needs a moment to load, but it's not as disruptive. Nice little improvement!

Not feeling anything else new here, though, other than the settings menu now retaining the dynamic resolution setting, which I've now favored using as it does also help with performance on my rig, and it feels like whatever temporal rendering solution they use here is really keeping image quality great even if the res has to drop to maintain performance sometimes.