• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I have since figured out Dathomir shouldnt have been the first stop, thanks to the forced stop at the place I'm supposed to be able to jump higher and several comments in this thread. Somebody said they hint in the game that Dathomir should not have been the first place, but it is presented as one of two options in the initial briefing and then as you're leaving Bogano you can see Dathomir referenced again on a wall so I thought that was a hint I should go there first. I guess I missed something somewhere.
If you look closely at the way the planets are displayed at the map. Dathomir is actually further away than Zeffo. They had a lot of discussions about whether or not they should let players have the option and decided to make that subtle hints like that along with the dialogue saying that Dathomir would essentially fuck you up.

Nov 17, 2019
I have since figured out Dathomir shouldnt have been the first stop, thanks to the forced stop at the place I'm supposed to be able to jump higher and several comments in this thread. Somebody said they hint in the game that Dathomir should not have been the first place, but it is presented as one of two options in the initial briefing and then as you're leaving Bogano you can see Dathomir referenced again on a wall so I thought that was a hint I should go there first. I guess I missed something somewhere.

As for the difficulty, I'm sure for a lot of people this game is easy enough. I have never played a Souls game or Bloodborne or any of the other games that this often compares to, and the combat in this is wildly different than any other game I have ever played. The block and party mechanics have been difficult for me to grasp, and the camera issues do not help. Several times in the hallways on Dathomir my camera has got stuck or pushed things at an odd angle, to the point where I cant even see the enemies for several seconds at a time. In the location I referenced earlier going against a trio of Nightbrothers and then a series of 6 others as I went through the area, I am being conservative guessing I died at least 20 times. Probably closer to 30.

Me being unable to figure out the combat is a me problem that I hope to address, but the camera issues are certainly with the game (as evidenced by a few other people in this thread making comments).

I'm sure as it goes on I will be able to get a good grasp on everything, but for now i am firmly in the camp that this game is difficult.

Percieved difficulty has an inverse relationship with how good you are at the game. You're not that good yet so the game is hard which is fine. Nightbrothers are tough foes especially considering you don't even have much experience dealing with standard melee troopers. I got my ass kicked with everyhing new the game threw at me until the combat clicked with me and I learned to adapt my approach with each different enemy. I've recently started a new game and now I'm cruising through everything wondering how I ever thought this game was hard.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I did something similar, instead of throwing it in the air, I let go of it near the egde, immediately used force slow, jumped down and pulled it lol.

This is, without a doubt, the best Star Wars game I've played since Jedi Academy, I only wish it was longer. Definitely gonna replay it soon.
thats what i did too- isnt that what you are meant to do? 🤔

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I want to play this game before Rise of Skywalker, where's the damn paaaatch. The idea of this game bugging out on me and having to rewatch an unskippable cutscene is madness to me. It's not Sparta, it's just madness.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I really like the game but damn it has maybe the most boring title screen in a game ever. Black and white zoomed out view of a broken Star Destroyer and some other thing (none of which appears plot related?) and super subdued music. I'm like, damn game, try and get me pumped up to play here!

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I really like the game but damn it has maybe the most boring title screen in a game ever. Black and white zoomed out view of a broken Star Destroyer and some other thing (none of which appears plot related?) and super subdued music. I'm like, damn game, try and get me pumped up to play here!

Really? I found it beautiful. Especially with the music.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, who else was dumb enough to try to fight Vader? I like that you just instantly die before you can even get half a room away from him.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Someone should photoshop this with a lightsaber and BD-1 on his back.
Screenshot_168.png

Oct 24, 2019
That part at the end was pretty fucking sick. I hope they tighten up the responsiveness though, nothing worse than pressing for a stim and it somehow not registering. same goes for jumps and parries.

Cere's creepy bug eyes need to go too

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Playing through this now. Just cleared up the visit to Kashyyyk. I've no idea how far I am or if there's other planets to visit.

I can't like, I'm not overly impressed by the experience it provides. I don't think it's bad, but it all feels...sterile, or something. Like a bunch of tried and true concepts from other AAA games bolted together, but none of them particularly exceptional or original in expression to stand on their own or to imbue the game with it's own identity. None of the influence it has drawn from is poor, but none of it is expressed in a way that's remarkable.

So much of the game feels loose and flimsy to engage with. Cal kinda floats around the environment clumsily and without much weight. Wall running feels awful and rigid. There's very little weight or momentum to traversing the environment, and the same can be said for the combat system. A Dark Souls-lite influence is welcome, but the execution is clumsy. Hitboxes are an extremely mixed bag, and there's a lack of satisfaction to the impact of the lightsaber. Even the way Cal swings it just...doesn't feel right, or satisfying. A bit loose, a bit floaty, too animation priority heavy, like it's missing something that gives each swing a sense of momentum and power.

The visual design is the same; widely inconsistent. Sometimes it looks outstanding, other times less so. There's been vistas and cutscenes I thought were jaw droppingly gorgeous with phenomenal use of lighting and shading with incredible asset detail. Next moment I'm walking around in an area where the lighting seems actually broken.

So yeah, I dunno. It reminds me a lot of Tomb Raider 2013; a decent start to a new series that, in essence, cobbles together design tentpoles of other games, but results in a game that isn't particularly remarkable in anything it does and at times lacks identity and focus in originality to elevate the experience. Tomb Raider took me three attempts to get into and once I finally did I had a fun time, but I can't say I have any overly fond or potent memories of my playthrough. To Fallen Order's credit I'm happy playing through it as-is, on my first playthrough. But I also suspect my memories will be similar to that of Tomb Raider; kinda just going through the motion of Game Stuff and ticking of the boxes to see where the story and adventure goes, but not really forming much in the ways of unique memories.

We'll see. I still feel I'm kinda early in the game, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the pacing was wack. The story seems kinda meandering and I fully expect a climactic ending level to come out of nowhere.

Oct 26, 2017
I was really looking forward to this game and played a few hours today. Hmm... after Death Stranding this game fells old in many ways, imo, almost like a gen behind and nothing feels polished at all. Is the game getting any better after the first two planets? Glad that I bought a retail copy.
I enjoyed it immensely, the hardest difficulty really makes the game shine imo, but if you enjoy the Star Wars universe it's a fun time albeit a bit rough around the edges

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also HOLY SHIT the damage from that RPG was looooooooool. Is that on Story Mode? On Grandmaster it took off like 2/3rd of my heath.
Probably Knight or Master. I turned down the difficulty to Story to get that trophy where you have to have that goat thing kick you and then kick it back, and on that mode almost nothing does any real damage to you.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Oh I'm sure it's been mentioned at some point during those 82 pages but boy does that wanderer dude totally sound like a Souls-like NPC hahaha (read this in a Souls NPC obligatory creepy laughter of course). Everything about him is Souls-like, from appearance, mysterious and kinda creepy but also endearing, from his voice, speech patterns and the creepy laughter.

I like it. I hope he kicks me down a well some time. Heheheheh~
Probably Knight or Master. I turned down the difficulty to Story to get that trophy where you have to have that goat thing kick you and then kick it back, and on that mode almost nothing does any real damage to you.
The difficulty settings in this game are borked. Really needs something between Jedi Master and Grandmaster.

Or no setting at all but one perfectly calibrated and balanced mode like Sekiro 😏

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Finished it just now. I really enjoyed it. I played on Jedi Knight so it was kinda easy but it still felt fun to play and I enjoy playing games stress free. Final scenes were bad ass. But sadly the exploration felt really boring and unrewarding because of the boring cosmetics you unlock. I kinda hope they will add some kind of loot system in the sequel that actually powers up your character. Running around and just unlocking lightsaber cosmetic parts sucked :(.

Still a solid 8/10 game.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think my chief complaint with the game is that every attack you can do, except the basic light combo, takes meter. So until you get a bunch of Force upgrades, you're pretty stuck with parry/block and then punishing with light attacks. I felt like I was being punished for filling out the lightsaber tree first.

I do appreciate that the heavy attacks and later moves are really strong, but then being slow and taking meter made me avoid using them for most of the game. I think I would have preferred if they didn't hit as hard but didn't cost meter to use.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Late game dathomir is really starting to fucking frustrate me. Random shit like a stim not coming out, bad camera angles and small glitches drive me up the wall. Tempted to drop it off the hardest this far in.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone be so kind to tell me how far percentage-wise I am into the game?

I just caught a ride from the giant bird thing

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I'm sure it's been mentioned at some point during those 82 pages but boy does that wanderer dude totally sound like a Souls-like NPC hahaha (read this in a Souls NPC obligatory creepy laughter of course). Everything about him is Souls-like, from appearance, mysterious and kinda creepy but also endearing, from his voice, speech patterns and the creepy laughter.

I like it. I hope he kicks me down a well some time. Heheheheh~

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Patches The Trusty? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Dark Souls legend. Darth Patches was a Dank Trickster of the Sith, so annoying and so greedy he could use the Kick to influence the Priests to create loot… He had such a knowledge of the Dark Souls that he could even keep the ones he cared about from hollowing. The Dark Souls of the Kick is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unbalanced. He became so overleveled… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his Souls, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught The Chosen Undead everything he knew, then his apprentice kicked him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from falling, but not himself.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Late game dathomir is really starting to fucking frustrate me. Random shit like a stim not coming out, bad camera angles and small glitches drive me up the wall. Tempted to drop it off the hardest this far in.
If you're having trouble with Nightbrothers, you can Force Pull and stab them. It'll one-shot them, and they have no defense against it. It made them one of the easiest enemies in the game.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you're having trouble with Nightbrothers, you can Force Pull and stab them. It'll one-shot them, and they have no defense against it. It made them one of the easiest enemies in the game.
That changes a lot. Also about how much more do I have left?
I just defeating that giant bat on the planet
. Game is fantastic but I kinda just want to reach the end already.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So ah, how the hell do you get the achievement for one saber three guys?

I've killed multiple 3 enemies with a single attack. Still can't get it.

Also, how do you kick?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Replaying the game on grand master and I'm finding the combat way more enjoyable.

Part of this is obviously already beating the game once and being familiar with everything, but I honestly feel like the low aggression on jedi knight difficulty makes fighting enemies feel so much worse. I think a difficulty option with less incoming damage and a slightly more forgiving parry window would be perfect.

Also, how do you kick?

Evade and then normal attack straight away. It's a skill upgrade you have to unlock first.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replaying the game on grand master and I'm finding the combat way more enjoyable.

Part of this is obviously already beating the game once and being familiar with everything, but I honestly feel like the low aggression on jedi knight difficulty makes fighting enemies feel so much worse. I think a difficulty option with less incoming damage and a slightly more forgiving parry window would be perfect.

Evade and then normal attack straight away. It's a skill upgrade you have to unlock first.
The kick or the three guys with one saber attack?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That changes a lot. Also about how much more do I have left?
I just defeating that giant bat on the planet
. Game is fantastic but I kinda just want to reach the end already.
You're pretty close to the end.

Also, how do you kick?
It's a saber throw, so try to get three enemies gathered near each other and throw. The enemies on Dathomir are pretty aggressive and plentiful.

To kick, you first need the skill that allows you to kick. Then to actually do it, you have to do a precision dodge (dodge right an attack is about to hit you) and then press light attack. I've found the timing window is actually more lenient than the one that slows the enemy and gives you meter back, so you don't necessarily have to trigger that to kick.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're pretty close to the end.

It's a saber throw, so try to get three enemies gathered near each other and throw. The enemies on Dathomir are pretty aggressive and plentiful.

To kick, you first need the skill that allows you to kick. Then to actually do it, you have to do a precision dodge (dodge right an attack is about to hit you) and then press light attack. I've found the timing window is actually more lenient than the one that slows the enemy and gives you meter back, so you don't necessarily have to trigger that to kick.
Thanks to both of you.

Soj

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I was actually just there now (2nd visit to Zeffo) and tested the damage, it was still a bit more than this gif, so not Jedi Master at least. Still, an RPG should hurt more, you know :P that's one attack I don't mind being really damaging.
I think my chief complaint with the game is that every attack you can do, except the basic light combo, takes meter. So until you get a bunch of Force upgrades, you're pretty stuck with parry/block and then punishing with light attacks. I felt like I was being punished for filling out the lightsaber tree first.

I do appreciate that the heavy attacks and later moves are really strong, but then being slow and taking meter made me avoid using them for most of the game. I think I would have preferred if they didn't hit as hard but didn't cost meter to use.
Hmm can't say that I agree, I used the strong attack for the lightsaber quite a bit, it's very strong.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

The saber throw trophy is tricky, as it has to be three kills with one lightsaber throw. The best places to do it are areas with a lot of melee Stormtroopers. I think I did it somewhere on Kashyyyk (I'm like 85% sure it was Kashyyyk). There was a spot that had a mob of them and a transport ship that delivered more. I ended up getting it randomly while fighting them all. It helps if you can lure a bunch of them into a narrow chokepoint.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.

Can you tell when you pull of a "precision" evade?

The precision evade is a late game upgrade. It slows time and makes a cool sound when you do it right. IMO it should be unlocked way earlier in the story. It gives you force meter for successfully pulling it off, which encourages more power usage.