• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found GM to be a very rewarding and fair experience. There were sections or bosses that after I got through them I couldn't imagine having the same sense of satisfaction doing it on easier diff. Not to sound elitist though, everyone likes different things so *shrug* it really worked/clicked for me though.
Same. I didn't think it was that difficult to be honest.

Jul 24, 2018
I have had a lot of issues with the game, but I've come to love the combat and it has beaten Jedi Academy in being a more fun Jedi simulator. I hope Respawn gets to make a sequel hopefully without loot boxes and multiplayer like this one.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game last night. The last 90 minutes are really strong. I gotta echo that comment about it probably needing another six months to clean up a bunch of issues and tighten some things but they were really smart to focus on the sequences that carried the emotional beats of the game. Those bits were really strong.

Also, was anyone else expecting Ninth Sister to return towards the end? The framing of her falling out of frame to her (presumed) death was like classic "you didn't see the body, they're not dead" stuff.

For those that are struggling with parrying.

"Trust only in the force."

Weapon spoiler warning.
F9xEeoX.gif

The above is GM difficulty. In short. once you learn enemy patterns. Parrying becomes muscle memory. Ofc trying to learn all of them can lead to death as the parry window on GM, while consistent, is VERY small.

A big thing that helped was the sound design. Enemy attacks have sound effects that telegraph the moment you're supposed to parry. The best example of this are the probe droids if you wanna try and get the hang of relying on sound. Hell, you can even perfect parry blaster shots from enemies you aren't looking at if you learn to recognize the sound cues of ranged enemies.
You know...I had no idea until this gif that you could parry attacks from multiple enemies in such a short window. I never tried; I just assumed you'd be animation-locked.

So for what it's worth, thanks. I wasn't going to go back to sweep things up post-game but now I want to play with this so I'll be getting back into it later.

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
I'd say wait for sale and patches

It's totally worth picking up IMO.

Lol ok, I'll probably end up giving into my impulse and picking this up sooner than later...because Star Wars. I wish the game would have launched with a photo mode (like the developers said it would) but oh well I suppose I can wait on something like that.

If you're playing on PC, it's 100% worth it to get it with Origin Access Premier for a month.

Sadly, I still don't own a gaming PC so I would just be getting this for Xbox One X.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any word on upcoming patches?

I plan on getting it for Christmas so hopefully some of the issues are sorted out by then.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Lol ok, I'll probably end up giving into my impulse and picking this up sooner than later...because Star Wars. I wish the game would have launched with a photo mode (like the developers said it would) but oh well I suppose I can wait on something like that.

Sadly, I still don't own a gaming PC so I would just be getting this for Xbox One X.

You should definitely wait if you are gonna play it on console

Oct 25, 2017
The game is pretty clearly not balanced around the highest difficulty setting. Then again, what games are?
They could have been more generous with force generation on Jedi Master too, tbh.

Things will get better once I unlock stim = force fillup, but there's going to be an awkward period of time where the combat is frustratingly limited instead of good. They give you all these crowd control tools and make it almost impossible to use them half the time.

And to be clear, I'm not saying the game is too hard on this difficulty, I've been breezing through it so far. I'm saying it hurts the combat instead of making you master its breadth.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm rereading Charles Soule's Vader to get to the final issues and it's funny how [FO ending] there was another list with force sensitive kids and Vader does just like Kal did and destroys it

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The end of Chapter 5 was no fun on higher difficulties. I appreciate the souls mechanics but the game needs to be balanced better. Feels like I am close to the end.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They could have been more generous with force generation on Jedi Master too, tbh.

Things will get better once I unlock stim = force fillup, but there's going to be an awkward period of time where the combat is frustratingly limited instead of good. They give you all these crowd control tools and make it almost impossible to use them half the time.

And to be clear, I'm not saying the game is too hard on this difficulty, I've been breezing through it so far. I'm saying it hurts the combat instead of making you master its breadth.
I found the "perfect dodge = force" ability and the "more force from dealing damage even to blocking enemies" one to really help a ton

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Just finished it. 17 hours. Had a lot of fun, but I have the feeling there's a lot of untapped potential here. The sequel can be amazing if they fix a couple small things here and there.

That ending sequence was INSANE and I could feel the adrenaline myself just by playing it. So good.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
ou know...I had no idea until this gif that you could parry attacks from multiple enemies in such a short window. I never tried; I just assumed you'd be animation-locked.

So for what it's worth, thanks. I wasn't going to go back to sweep things up post-game but now I want to play with this so I'll be getting back into it later.
Me playing this on grandmaster vs. everyone else struggling with grandmaster and saying that parries are inconsistent.
MediumAcrobaticItalianbrownbear-size_restricted.gif

Pfroebbel

Oct 28, 2017
I am so pissed. I am missing only one Secret, i already took it but it didnt count. I have it in the Collection but it didnt count on the Map. So no Platin for me (or I have to start from the beginning and collect all Secrets and Chests again) :(((

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it.

Fucking brilliant game. Loved every second of it. That ending was cool as fuck.

Congrats to Respawn. The game was not perfect and had it's share of flaws but I suspect if Respawn get to make a sequel, it will be something truly glorious.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Me playing this on grandmaster vs. everyone else struggling with grandmaster and saying that parries are inconsistent.
MediumAcrobaticItalianbrownbear-size_restricted.gif

Just finished a Grand Master run. Went fine. I think Jedi Master is probably more fun, just for the feeling of power, but GM is still easier than other similar games. Only boss that I didn't beat on the first attempt was the last because I got grabbed.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it up about an hour ago, it was decent overall. I'd say between 7-8 out of 10 range.

The story picks up at the end and does a lot of neat stuff with the characters. I am hoping they make a sequel. They can iron out a lot of the issues and make something truly special.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This fucking
giant bat boss
is one of the worst designed bosses I have ever seen. The camera is constantly spinning around he can nearly one shot you.

Difficulty is going down I thibk

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Just posting my impressions from another thread: I think I'm about 2/3 through Fallen Order on Dathomir. There's a greater variety to this game than most that I've played lately. The game really comes into its own and starts feeling like a Jedi Knight game once you get all of the abilities. There's a huge amount of progression here, and a high skill ceiling too. None of the abilities feel too overpowered like The Force Unleashed. I hoped a month ago but thought it would be too good to be true that I could build my Galaxy's Edge lightsaber in the game.

So far the story has been nothing special at all, if anything it's subpar. That's the main thing that's holding me back from calling this the greatest Star Wars game like a lot of people. KOTOR and KOTOR II may not play as well but they're still well ahead for me. And visually, the game isn't impressive at all, sometimes it just looks ugly. It's unusual that the forest parts of any game aren't the best looking, let alone the worst looking part.

If a sequel could mostly retain the same gameplay but move to another era, put much more of a focus on story, allow for Mass Effect style dialogue choices, have starship customization, have some starship flying, and have more impressive graphics, that would be a real GOAT Star Wars game.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Honestly, I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I had a lot of fun with this game. People ITT will tell you how it's bugged and "undercooked", especially on consoles, but unless you plan to play on a base console, you'll be fine.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I really want to pick this game up, but also want to hold off a bit and see if the game receives a polish update lol. Torn for HDR on PS4, or no HDR for PC with gtx 1080. I can never get HDR running right on my PC, so it's always a Ross up of which version of a game to get, pro or PC.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
So my progression is completely broken. I just finished the tomb of miktrull on zeffo. When I got the force pull power, I died as I became a padawan for the flashback, and respawned OUTSIDE the tutorial as a padawan, I kept progressing in my confusion until I realized something was off and I reloaded the game.

Upon reload, I was an adult again and could complete the tomb. That said, after finishing it, I get the "return to mantis" objective... I can reach the ship just fine, but nothing happens there. I looked this up and found there's a Bo Gunk boss fight in the ice cave that I missed, so I went to that location and... no boss fight. I get a regular enemy there (one of those large ones), but no fight. The ceiling above me looks like it should collapse as it looks like fragile ice, but I don't get anything there.

There's also supposed to be a jet trooper fight on the way back to the ship from my understanding, but that doesn't trigger either. I just get the return to mantis objective and when I get there, nothing happens at all.

This game was released far too early, and I don't want to restart the whole thing :(

I was really enjoying it. At this point it's the last strike on EA for me for a long time, literally every game I bought from them this gen has been massively disappointing in one way or another. I'm not one to complain about games normally, but this is just terrible.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I had a lot of fun with this game. People ITT will tell you how it's bugged and "undercooked", especially on consoles, but unless you plan to play on a base console, you'll be fine.
Im on a pc with a 2080ti, and guees what, game is bugged, and very undercooked, great game, but lets not deny reality.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Please share!

I was listening to MinnMax last night (ex-Game Informer folks), and the question was asked: What words would you use to describe Cal, excluding what he does and what he looks like?

The conclusion was that he is a nothing character, but ... I disagree! I have a weird soft spot for him.
Serious game spoilers post-Dathomir:

I think that the Order 66 moment in the game was amazing and truly showcased how gutwrenching that moment was in a way that other mediums haven't really touched. We've played as Cal, we've seen Cal be the aloof do gooder, but we don't really know much about him other than that he was a padawan at some point. To actually play his past and see a little kid have his friends turn their backs on him, watch his master sacrifice himself to save him from certain death, and finally understand that the reason he couldn't remember his powers were due to the psychological trauma of what he went through was very good.

That and BD-1 telling him that he "chose him" to replace his former owner was one of the cutest moments ever, idgaf.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Im on a pc with a 2080ti, and guees what, game is bugged, and very undercooked, great game, but lets not deny reality.

Idk, anecdotal, I'm aware, but I'm almost finished (according to the internet, in the last 2 hours of the game) and outside of two nightbrothers spawning from thin air and being in T pose for like a second, I didn't really have any jank or bugs in my playthrough (PS Pro).

If this is undercooked and buggy, then all games I've played this year are.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Serious game spoilers post-Dathomir:

I think that the Order 66 moment in the game was amazing and truly showcased how gutwrenching that moment was in a way that other mediums haven't really touched. We've played as Cal, we've seen Cal be the aloof do gooder, but we don't really know much about him other than that he was a padawan at some point. To actually play his past and see a little kid have his friends turn their backs on him, watch his master sacrifice himself to save him from certain death, and finally understand that the reason he couldn't remember his powers were due to the psychological trauma of what he went through was very good./SPOILER]
it was such a minor thing but the clone trooper high fiving Cal like 10 minutes before trying to murder him broke me

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I've never played a Souls/lite game properly before. Is there any difficulty related achievements for this?

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Enjoyed the game a lot. Don't think its a goty contender but still good, and definitely the best Star Wars game this gen.

This game lays a good foundation for future games (for systems and gameplay). Hopefully this does well so Respawn can iterate in a sequel.

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
This plays fine on X, only Kashyyk is weird the first time you're there but everything else is fine if played on resolution mode.

Ok cool and yeah it seems like pretty much all of the reviews mention the lack of polish but that the game is still very good.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished defiantly glad I got this on EA Access Premier than buying outright at full price.

Was a fun game (mins the few technical issues though nothing game-breaking except 1 crash on PC) and would give it 3.5/5 overall, would be a 4/5 if it had 1 or 2 more planets + less squeezing through gaps (for loading) and less overuse of the sliding mechanic.

Also BD-1 is cool.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Kashyyyk (second visit) and decided to do some chests/secrets/databank hunting before continuing the story, mostly because of that one area on Zeffo which just looked super cool to explore.

Seriously, the person at Respawn who decided this game shouldn't have fast travel deserves to be slapped in the face. I was constantly running back and forth on the map to search every little crevice for something I might have missed, which took me wayyyy longer than it should because of the way the levels are designed. Some shortcuts are only available from one direction, which means that if you come at it from a different direction you're pretty much fucked and have to run all the way around.

Would it have killed them to at least make some fast travel options between big landmarks in each map (on Zeffo for instance Hangar - Tomb 1 - Tomb 2 - Crashed Ship)? That would have made exploring searching for those final things so much less of a pain. I honestly don't get why they didn't go for a fast travel system or at least provide some way to travel the map fast or go back to a previous meditation point or something. Every single Souls-like game I played has an option like that and this game's level design and exploration clearly wants to be like Souls-like games.

I'm already dreading going back to Kashyyyk for the collectibles, as I've already checked on the map and I have to freaking climb that entire tree again because I apparently missed some data entries.

Oh that note, I simultaneously love and hate the map. I love that it's so detailed and you get accurate info per section how many chests and secrets you've found and how much there are, but why the hell is there no indicator for amount of data entries/scans the different sections have? On Zeffo I was missing one databank entry and the way to find where it was was by looking over the entire map, checking every single percentage and eventually I found a location that said '88%' despite having all chests and secrets. That really should be more obvious.

I also find it actually pretty hard to navigate on the map, but maybe that's just me. Due to the game using those slide-things so often and having lots of platforms, I often find it pretty hard to see whether two sections are actually connected or not and the level design is not good/easy enough for me to remember where exactly everything was.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
This game is absolutely wonderful, and I love that I can play on Master the whole time, but bring it down a notch when I'm having too much trouble with a boss. Proves that difficulty options really does work with this type of game, because I'm still doing 99% on Master since I actually have fun with it. It's a choice, and I'm not anxious about the next boss that might block my progress for nights and nights.

I do agree that the game needs a fast-travel, because the maps can get quite gigantic and it makes backtracking for hidden items a big chore.

This is probably my game of the year alongside Control, the level design is just exquisite and the acessibility means I actually enjoy my time, vs Sekiro which would have been great if not for the horrible suffering and anxiety that was actually playing it.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Seriously, the person at Respawn who decided this game shouldn't have fast travel deserves to be slapped in the face. I was constantly running back and forth on the map to search every little crevice for something I might have missed, which took me wayyyy longer than it should because of the way the levels are designed. Some shortcuts are only available from one direction, which means that if you come at it from a different direction you're pretty much fucked and have to run all the way around.
For sure, man. I hope they patch something in, its such an obvious design flaw. On Zeffo, I was on my way back to the Mantis and I forgot to cut a rope for a shortcut, and it resulted in me spending way to much time figuring out how the fuck to get back to the ship. It sucked
Just had a bug where the audio just stops working, quitting the game ane re-opening fixes it. Base PS4.
I had this same thing happen to me on dathomir. Started it back up and it was fine.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
For those that are struggling with parrying.

"Trust only in the force."

Weapon spoiler warning.
F9xEeoX.gif

The above is GM difficulty. In short. once you learn enemy patterns. Parrying becomes muscle memory. Ofc trying to learn all of them can lead to death as the parry window on GM, while consistent, is VERY small.

A big thing that helped was the sound design. Enemy attacks have sound effects that telegraph the moment you're supposed to parry. The best example of this are the probe droids if you wanna try and get the hang of relying on sound. Hell, you can even perfect parry blaster shots from enemies you aren't looking at if you learn to recognize the sound cues of ranged enemies.
In that gif are you pressing parry once and holding it for the second attack? Or pressing it twice (once for each attack)? Thanks in advance.