• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I put the game down again (I keep doing this). I decided to pick it back up after the latest patch, and had a blast doing Zeffo. That area runs pretty well all things considered. I decided to go back to Bogano to do some side stuff, and Woof! I reminded me why I dropped the game. The performance on Bogano is really unacceptable. For a AAA game publisher and developer (that isn't Bethesda) to release a game in that state takes some balls.

Anyway I powered through the swamp again, and made it to Kashyyyk. As soon as we landed, and had the cutscene, I knew this world was going to be a technical disaster as well, so the game goes away again for now.

I'm loving the game, but it's just too bad it was put out there in such an awful state. I never would have thought Respawn was capable of releasing something that was so unfinished, but y'know.......EA.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I only have 1 more trophy to get for the platinum. Need to get Green Thumb, but these damn plants don't grow!
Same.. It's so frustrating. After doing all the miscellaneous stuff to grab all the other trophies I'm ready to put this game down, but I can't until one more of those plants grow.

Anyone figure out a way to make them grow faster?

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Wow what about that ending! Really pleased this game exists, I had a hell of a time playing through that 9/10

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Easily my GOTY. Respawn yet again knocked it out of the park.

The Vader reveal in the end is in my legit top 10 Star Wars moments. Just like Rogue One, i got legit chills. Vader DONE RIGHT!

OK, so after beating the game on Hard (which was nowhere as hard as any Souls game) here are my quick thoughts about it.

pros:
-Lightsaber combat is incredible. The way it sounds and feels is very authentic and is exactly like how a lightsaber should feel like.
-Story actually takes advantage from the era it's set in. Both PT and OT aesthetics are presented here. There are some story elements borrowed from Clone Wars and it is indeed a very nice surprise. Characters and voice acting are done really well. There is just enough humour and drama present here.
-Superb visual and sound design along with some great Star Wars music makes the one of the most authentic Star Wars experiences in this medium.
-The mix of Souls-like design and Uncharted style platforming along with Metroidvania exploration creates a compelling gameplay loop.
--Force powers are really fun to use and no matter you're using The Force in combat, traversal or Puzzles it's implementation always works.

Cons:
-Game is buggy as hell. I encountered a lot of visual bugs and crashes while playing on Base PS4. Needs some patches. Especially visual bugs like enemies appearing out of nowhere or textures loading slowly is annoying. Performance was not perfect yet not a deal breaker.
-Human enemies are great but combat encounters against non-humanoids were kinda meh. When i think of Star Wars action fighting against toads or giant spiders doesn't come to my mind.
-Even though bosses that are here are great, i thought game lacked in terms of the number of bosses.

Overall, despite the issues it's one of the greatest Star Wars games of all time.
9/10. Thanks Respawn.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Got to the 5 planet how much more is left?

Also the random robots that appear, I'm assuming you can find them again if they defeat you and disappear.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I'm loving the game, but it's just too bad it was put out there in such an awful state. I never would have thought Respawn was capable of releasing something that was so unfinished,
I agree.I finished the game yesterday,loved it, but serious technical problems/glitches on consoles are really unacceptable for such a AAA production.It probably had to launch now, together with Mandalorian and Episode 9,so i guess delay was not an option.

Makes me wish either R* or one of the console makers first party studios made this with all their polish.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
About to finish the platinum, holy shit, watching some fucking plants grow.
It's been 4 hours, aimlessly running around, hopping from planet to planet and nothing is happening.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Finished. Great game! I'm leaning more towards 8/10 than 9/10 because of technical issues, some enemies aren't fun to fight (mostly wild life) and the story and characters (other than Cal and BD) are kind of whatever, despite the very cool ending sequence. The main antagonist started super cool and then became lame in true Kylo Ren fashion. The soundtrack is also surprisingly tame for a Star Wars game.

But to be fair to the story, it's always hard to do something that feels consequential when the arcs before and after the story told here are already set in stone. It was always going to feel like a side story because it's exactly what it is.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Finished the campaign now - really enjoyed this game, but some parts are sooooo janky. The game would have needed more time in the oven.

Like that boss fight on Dathomir - the
huge bird thing. The part where you need to accurately 'dive bomb' onto its head is so dumb. The window to do it right is relatively small, so you end up having to attempt it 5 times, which totally ruins the excitement of the entire set piece.

And pretty much everything on Kashyyyk after the 'swimming' parts feels unfinished.

I played on Jedi Knight and I think 90% of my deaths didn't come from me running out of stims (being a huge completionist, i had 9 stims by the end... i could pretty much brute force any boss fight...) or the enemies overwhelmingly damaging me - it's the delay when you're asking BD-1 to give you a stim. It gets canceled if you do a last minute dodge, too...
Yeah my god, how annoying is that. Goes with the general feel of the game though, not tight.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Wait for a sale, I'd say. It's a poor man's uncharted, with worse controls and different combat.
Not sure if I agree with worse controls. I find the platforming (the most comparable gameplay element in terms of controls) here far better than in Uncharted. In terms of cinematography and bombastic set pieces, yeah, it's a bit like poor man's Uncharted.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Just beat the game last night, thought I'd leave my little review here to exchange thoughts and whatnot. Spoiler free.

It's the best singleplayer Star Wars game to date, I know it's faint praise, but I do think it is a great game. It's no GOTY by any means but it's very good and reminiscent of an era in which EA was actually likable.

Combat is heavily inspired by Souls but it's far too flashy and "clunky" to be a replacement, difficultly is probably the game's biggest flaw. The game on hardest difficulty isn't "like Dark Souls for Dark Souls fans" it's simply not balanced and not fun. In Bloodborne, I know if I died, it's on me. In here, I could die for endless reasons beyond my control. Fighting the Empire is fun, fighting the Fauna of each planet is entirely different and I didn't like it in all honesty,
The Force was super cool but rather pointless in boss fights other than the initial skill you are given. Platforming in this game is objectively bad, it looks cool and well animated but the game often fails to recognize what it's supposed to do and you will die a lot for it. So it's closer to Tomb Raider than Uncharted in that regard, but feels unintentional, set pieces while climbing are definitely inspired by Uncharted. Games
tries to use its level design cleverly but the system is rather clunky and doesn't recognize what you're trying to do very well, falling off pipes instead of jumping to the next, dropping down, etc.

Puzzles are simple enough that they remain interesting and traversal feels cool. However the lack of fast travel is puzzling to me, the worlds are interesting and the level design is honestly excellent, but I don't want to backtrack through these confusing multi level worlds just to find secrets, if I could fast travel between meditation circles, then I'd be down for it.

Story is the game at its best, it's really good for Star Wars standards. Which means, it's cheesy and in love with its own lore but it's great. I'd say a 10/10 for Star Wars standards and a 9/10 for normal game standards, ending felt a little weak to me, like it needed a punch but other than that, the characters grew on me and I cared for them, especially BD-1, those tippy taps, those god damn tippy taps, I'd die for that android.

Overall I think it's a very good game and hope Respawn make more of these, it was a very competent Souls-like game that needs more refinement which comes naturally with experience, the story is good and the difficulty is whack. Oh, played it on PC for $15 usd with Origin Access, played on Epic settings but the game crashed a lot near the end of the story. 8/10 for me.Dunno if it's Top 10 goty 2019 game for me, but I enjoyed it.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm early on the in the campaign and I have some question about the story. The premise of your mission is

find the list of force-sensitive children and rebuild the Jedi Order. Does the game ever address that the Jedi Order was a stagnant decaying thing that contributed to the rise of the Empire? We're going to be ripping those children away from their families and enrolling them in an isolated training regimen that forbids relationships - a prison sentence to most people. Essentially we're looking for kids to draft in our war against the Empire.

There are some hints of self-awareness in the dialogue but I'm wondering if it's going to stick the landing.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's driving me crazy that the stim animation is so slow and any movement breaks the animation. It's almost impossible to remain still without blocking or dodging without taking a lot of punishment.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'm early on the in the campaign and I have some question about the story. The premise of your mission is

find the list of force-sensitive children and rebuild the Jedi Order. Does the game ever address that the Jedi Order was a stagnant decaying thing that contributed to the rise of the Empire? We're going to be ripping those children away from their families and enrolling them in an isolated training regimen that forbids relationships - a prison sentence to most people. Essentially we're looking for kids to draft in our war against the Empire.

There are some hints of self-awareness in the dialogue but I'm wondering if it's going to stick the landing.
Oh it definitely will that's all I am willing to say

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the game, but one of the first things I need to hear about a sequel is "It will have fast travel." Getting back to the Mantis can be such a slog. And definitely hampered my enjoyment when I want to see what happens next but I have to spend a half hour getting back to the ship.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the game, but one of the first things I need to hear about a sequel is "It will have fast travel." Getting back to the Mantis can be such a slog. And definitely hampered my enjoyment when I want to see what happens next but I have to spend a half hour getting back to the ship.
Getting back to the ship wasn't so much my problem as getting stuck having to take some roundabout ass route to explore new paths opened by a new force ability. Fast travel would also solve this of course, but I have a simpler solution: why not leave marks on the map so you can clearly see when two areas are connected? If you want us to actually walk through the world, make the map more useful for that purpose.

The glowing orange indicators are great! Don't just delete them once we've gone past them, change them to green arrows or something. Clearly indicate which paths are one-way routes and which are two-way. Then the player can actually plan a smart route for exploration quickly and efficiently.

Oct 25, 2017
Would you recommend a non-SW fan guy, who loves Uncharted series this game?
I'm not a Star Wars fan either and I liked this game a lot but it is really not very much like Uncharted. The opening level is very Uncharted, and has the best cinematics and set pieces in the game. The game changes to Souls-lite after that, so if you're looking for a propulsive linear adventure with a high level of polish you won't find it.

If you like melee combat and more complex level design and exploration, you'll dig this.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im only at the first planet and coming at this from a Souls fan perspective ...its pretty lacking, definitely needed six more months

Had a god chuckle at the SHORTCUT UNLOCKED prompt

Id much rather have them not try to do a bad copy of Dark Souls combat, doing this weird pieced together collage doesnt work well.

outside of combat though, good looking game, fun story.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think Tomb Raider with light Sekiro combat is the most apt comparison.

I'm glad this game exists. There's an audience out there that due to shenanigans on a corporate level haven't had a good Star Wars game this gen but there are some severe design flaws. It feels more like the last Tomb Raider than a Star Wars game. Things like getting back to your ship can be a chore.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad this game exists. There's an audience out there that due to shenanigans on a corporate level haven't had a good Star Wars game this gen but there are some severe design flaws. It feels more like the last Tomb Raider than a Star Wars game. Things like getting back to your ship can be a chore.
Yeah. Going back for secrets is also a chore. The game definitely needs fast travel.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Was thinking of posting a thread on that, but 110% agree, also add, only run with two stims.

Let's not get carried away here. I can do a bell/no charm run in Sekiro because the combat is A+. This game's combat is not good enough to do that sort of run. It's doable, but I just don't think it would be all that fun.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
100%'d the game earlier today; overall it's an excellent albeit unpolished GOTY contender. It's crazy how much this one reminds me of Shadow of The Tomb Raider, down to me being able to break the scripting simply by dying at points where the game doesn't seem to expect you to. Also, all the streaming bugs and T-posing enemies made me laugh. Goddamn the streaming functionality of this UEngine version sucks ass. 9/10, which says a lot considering how fucking unpolished it is at times; excellent characters, well thought-out levels and scenarios and an awesome ending. Lots of heart poured into it and pouring out of the characters, voice actors and the story beats.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Im only at the first planet and coming at this from a Souls fan perspective ...its pretty lacking, definitely needed six more months

Had a god chuckle at the SHORTCUT UNLOCKED prompt

Id much rather have them not try to do a bad copy of Dark Souls combat, doing this weird pieced together collage doesnt work well.

outside of combat though, good looking game, fun story.

Lol the first planet made me go oh no. Thought I'd regret getting the game... however that planet is definitely the outlier.

The game gets really good once you get off that shithole.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying to Tomb Raider here but I think it's a lot closer to Darksiders myself.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Getting spoilt on YouTube by watching Street Fighter V videos. Thumbnails with a character I had no idea was in the game with ENDING written in bold. FFS

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The platforming is so irritating in this game. Seemingly simple jumps get missed because it's so fiddly/janky. Also so much clipping through the environment.

And one of the cool cinematic sequences is a perfect example of the game not being able to get out of its own way
when you have to jump on the giant bird's back but it's easy missed and the game makes you re-do it.

The second half of the game is definitely much better than the first, but man I wish this game didn't feel so mechanical and soulless.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lol the first planet made me go oh no. Thought I'd regret getting the game... however that planet is definitely the outlier.

The game gets really good once you get off that shithole.
Yeah I got to that little optional boss fight and kept getting hit by attacks I clearly dodged then got killed was on the ground without a way to get up and went "oh no" lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Game is gorgeous btw
starwarsjedi_fallenorvpk3y.png

starwarsjedi_fallenorwukt2.png

starwarsjedi_fallenorubk67.png

starwarsjedi_fallenoruyjnl.png

starwarsjedi_fallenor86khp.png

starwarsjedi_fallenor9bj4i.png

So many places look like concept art come to life.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Going back for secrets is also a chore. The game definitely needs fast travel.

I got to the point where I stopped fighting enemies on my way back. Which in thee bigger scheme of things to me means I'm not enjoying it as much as I should. If this wasn't a Star Wars game I think I might not complete it which is rare for me.

Visually and in terms of sound this game is top notch. But this tomb raider esq design in a SW game just feels wrong.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Level design is not as good as it should be. It's not like a FROM or Nintendo game, you know, games like Dark Souls/Sekiro or Metroid games have usually a world that feels big but it's easy to traverse thanks to a good interconnected level design. Even without teleport system. This game tries it, and has some good shortcuts that feel natural, but at the same time tries to have this long, "cinematic" sequences (like the Jedi temples) that are really linear and are a pain to traverse later to get all the chests and secrets.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Enjoyed my time with it but the game was a bit too long for my liking. Enjoyed Zaffo and Kashyyyk the most, beautiful environments and some fun traversal. I think exchanging one planet (e.g. Dathomir) for some extra set pieces and/or story-rich content would have improved the pacing.