• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Is there a cheap way to defeat Oggdo at the beginning of the game? He always seems to get me just before I land a couple of last hits.

Last edited:

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Has anyone had any issues with the cutscene coming out of sync with the audio? One of the final cutscenes was ruined because the audio was coming a second after the mouths started moving. This is on a PS4 Pro.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I totally disagree. So Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Sekiro are also not that different from Uncharted? Uncharted is (on of my favorite games of all time) an on-rails story driven game with practically no exploration element at all, apart from the mandatory stuff and some meaningless treasures here and there. Uncharted is not interconnected and does not have optional areas. It's nowhere near the same.

The levels are primarily tunnels? Are we playing the same game? The first planet is like 95% outside in the open and the second level also plays out outside.

I'm starting to think some of you are playing this the "wrong" way (which is fine, by the way, but not what the devs intended but by all means play how you like).

Yes it's a (wide)linear game in terms of from A to B objectives, but in between there are many paths to explore and shortcuts to open. The path I just took in Zeffo, will probably look totally different compared to the path somebody else took. I read somebody finished the game in 11 hours. I'm taking that time to explore one single planet because of all the exploration. Doesn't sound that tight to me.

Your "exploring" of the planet is taking linear route A, B or C. When it comes to story objectives, only one linear path will get you where you need to go. It's not like you can take one of several paths.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Can't decide between 4K or High Framerate because I get drops on either one XD
What you guys going with on Xbox One X?

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wish Star Wars media would stop taking the time to show that Darth Vader was an impossible badass. He had a cute scene in Rogue One. He didn't need to be here.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's not tight at all? Have you ever opened the map of a fully explored level? Call of Duty is tight. Uncharted is also tight (not as tight as CoD), but here you can wonder and explore for hours discovering stuff without going from A to B. With this reasoning you can call RDR2 also tight if you follow the main quest from A to B.

Fallen Order is nothing like God of War in terms of level design. This really has that From Software vibe going on. It's super interconnected and smartly designed. If you think this is "a pretty tight path" I'm beginning to wonder if you're even exploring at all or just running from objective to objective. I just spent like 10 hours on Zeffo alone. It's amazing and I'm really taking my time. You don't spend 10 hours in one level when a game is "tight". You finish a "tight" game in 10 hours.

Okay, I guess? I'm not arguing if it's linear or not. I am also not saying it's open. Only saying it's not tight.

If I read this:

"It's a pretty tight path you go through, with different branches to explore every so often."

I would definitely not expect the game I am currently playing.

I think the poster that responded after me has similar vibes to what I'm getting. The levels are large, but I personally feel that I'm going on a set path from objective to objective, and I look for an offshoot to grab a chest or essence, then get back on path and continue to my destination. I think I've explored pretty thoroughly, with 90% on over half the destinations, and the rest close by, and I still have an hour or two to finish. Uncharted certainly is much "tighter" than this, and I didn't compare it to Uncharted, I just described it as more tight (because it's not exactly linear) than open. If the word is the only thing that is bothering you, than I should say its more linear than open.

In general, you are going from A to B, and you have chests and secrets to find along the way. After you find them, you go back on your same path. These aren't huge branching paths that loop. I think the map looking so intricate is not the same as what it feels like to actually play. I've played all the From Software games to completion, and I'd say God of War's level design was influenced by Souls games, and this feels closer to that than it does Bloodborne, in my opinion.

With that said, I've enjoyed my play through thus far.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Is there a cheap way to defeat Oggdo at the beginning of the game? He always seems to get me just before I land a couple of last hits.

Did you already unlocked wall running on that planet? If not, continue the path. With it, you can get on top of the cave he's in and do a drop attack which chips away half of his health. Other than that, it's just good old "gitting gud."

Your "exploring" of the planet is taking linear route A, B or C. When it comes to story objectives, only one linear path will get you where you need to go. It's not like you can take one of several paths.

Yes, and ultimately the biggest open world games have a linear path from A to B when it comes to story objectives. This is a really dumb take. Let's just agree to disagree. If you think the game is tight, than that is fine. For anyone wanting to buy this game and asking if this is like Uncharted: only the platforming and setpieces are similar. The design of the game is totally different and way more like the Souls games (super interconnected with lots of shortcuts). The story is linear (just like 99% of the stories in games).

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if my EA account has been hacked (I have 2 factor auth on and no log in attempts) but I got an email from EA at 1am last night saying I've signed up for a free month of EA access.

Is this just a thing for buying this game or should I be worried? It seems to be a month trial, non-recurring but still odd to wake up to.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Did you already unlocked wall running on that planet? If not, continue the path. With it, you can get on top of the cave he's in and do a drop attack which chips away half of his health. Other than that, it's just good old "gitting gud."

Yes, and ultimately the biggest open world games have a linear path from A to B when it comes to story objectives. This is a really dumb take. Let's just agree to disagree. If you think the game is tight, than that is fine. For anyone wanting to buy this game and asking if this is like Uncharted: only the platforming and setpieces are similar. The design of the game is totally different and way more like the Souls games (super interconnected with lots of shortcuts). The story is linear (just like 99% of the stories in games).

Thinking this game is open at all is the ultimate stupid take. This linear path branched left slightly with a chest. I AM EXPLORING!

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

I strongly disagree, yes there are some shortcuts but definitely not Souls style, in a Souls game you wander to a totally different area and suddenly find a shortcut back to the hub at the beginning, the shurtcuts in FO are just minor conveniences in select places and does not let you skip entire trecks. This game is very linear compared to the typical souls game.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
And that's what I did. After several attempts I managed to kill him, landing a hit once in a while while dodging his attacks. Wasn't easy.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Thinking this game is open at all is the ultimate stupid take. This linear path branched left slightly with a chest. I AM EXPLORING!

Yes it is and I am not saying the game is open. Do you even read? I just don't think it's "tight". And sure dude, a linear path branched left slightly. Now you're just being a troll. Here, an example of a map. Yeah man, that looks very tight and linar from A to B. *SMH*

star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-review-map.jpg

I strongly disagree, yes there are some shortcuts but definitely not Souls style, in a Souls game you wander to a totally different area and suddenly find a shortcut back to the hub at the beginning, the shurtcuts in FO are just minor conveniences in select places and does not let you skip entire trecks. This game is very linear compared to the typical souls game.

JFO has different planets that are not connected to each other, yes. But each planet functions the same as in Souls. In the Zeffo ice caves there are doors/elevators that take you straight back to the beginning of the level and let you skip a lot of walking back. I can get to spots within seconds now, that took me hours the first time. So you're wrong or you haven't explored enough.

And that's what I did. After several attempts I managed to kill him, landing a hit once in a while while dodging his attacks. Wasn't easy.

Good job dude. Did you also find

the second mob type Oggdo Bogdo enemy

?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The levels are primarily tunnels? Are we playing the same game? The first planet is like 95% outside in the open and the second level also plays out outside.

I think you missed the part where I said that even the open areas aren't really all that open, despite appearing as such. The very first planet you go to is outside, and while you're on the same plane as your ship, you can see in pretty much all directions without much of anything occluding your view. But as soon as you actually start moving through the area, you are completely cordoned and corralled to go a very specific way. It gives the appearance of freedom while actually being constricting. After clearing Kashyyyk the first time, I couldn't not notice how linear the game was and how very restrictive the levels were in reality.

It's also ironic that you mentioned Bloodborne too. It is actually somewhat linear compared to Demon's, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3, yet the level design itself is vastly superior to what's on show with this game. The interconnectedness makes sense for the most part, and it largely feels organic (if not as inspired as what was seen in other FROM games). In this game it's like there's the main path, and everything else was just added to make "interconnectedness", despite it being really sloppy in execution.

I'm starting to think some of you are playing this the "wrong" way (which is fine, by the way, but not what the devs intended but by all means play how you like).

More like you see this game having more options than it actually does. Plus, the map image you posted just how narrow the areas you can actually run through are. Yes, it's this room stacked on top of this other room, running parallel to another...yet you are still actually moving through confined spaces...

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
JFO has different planets that are not connected to each other, yes. But each planet functions the same as in Souls. In the
Zeffo ice caves
there are doors/elevators that take you straight back to the beginning of the level and let you skip a lot of walking back. I can get to spots within seconds now, that took me hours the first time. So you're wrong or you haven't explored enough.

That's like the only place in the game that is designed like that.. And even there it's still pretty linear because a lot of the things on that planet is locked at first and the only reason they have those shortcuts is because you need to go back there later, same with
Kashyyyk

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I think you missed the part where I said that even the open areas aren't really all that open, despite appearing as such. The very first planet you go to is outside, and while you're on the same plane as your ship, you can see in pretty much all directions without much of anything occluding your view. But as soon as you actually start moving through the area, you are completely cordoned and corralled to go a very specific way. It gives the appearance of freedom while actually being constricting. After clearing Kashyyyk the first time, I couldn't not notice how linear the game was and how very restrictive the levels were in reality.

It's also ironic that you mentioned Bloodborne too. It is actually somewhat linear compared to Demon's, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3, yet the level design itself is vastly superior to what's on show with this game. The interconnectedness makes sense for the most part, and it largely feels organic (if not as inspired as what was seen in other FROM games). In this game it's like there's the main path, and everything else was just added to make "interconnectedness", despite it being really sloppy in execution.

More like you see this game having more options than it actually does.

yeah, in essence, only Zeffo feels a bit more "open" because of the shortcuts but the other areas are fairly linear. but even in Zeffo it feels like there is an A and a B way through the area.

Kashyyyk is the worst, you basically go in one lane to your target destination and when you return to the planet for a second visit you go the same exact linear corridor again just to take another fork leading to the "new area"

that is why i said "fake Metroidvania" about the game´s structure, it feels like it has major Metroid influences on the outside but when looking at it, it is not really interconnected.(with the worst offender being exploration rewarded not by new tools but cosmetics, the tools you need are all offered by just following the story and going to marked destinations on the map)

the last third of the game is completely linear

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

It's also ironic that you mentioned Bloodborne too. It is actually somewhat linear compared to Demon's, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3, yet the level design itself is vastly superior to what's on show with this game. The interconnectedness makes sense for the most part, and it largely feels organic (if not as inspired as what was seen in other FROM games). In this game it's like there's the main path, and everything else was just added to make "interconnectedness", despite it being really sloppy.

More like you see this game having more options than it actually does.

The first planet obviously acts as some kind of tutorial and is WAY smaller.

Sure the levels are restricted in some kind of way and I'm so glad they are. I'm loving it. I'm pretty sick of everything being open world nowadays. This is the perfect blend between a linear story driven game with wide explorable interconnected levels.

Yeah it's not From Software level, but let's give Respawn a little credit maybe? It's the first time they tried something like this and they did a mighty fine job.

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
The first planet obviously acts as some kind of tutorial and is WAY smaller.

Sure the levels are restricted in some kind of way and I'm so glad they are. I'm loving it. I'm pretty sick of everything being open world nowadays. This is the perfect blend between a linear story driven game with wide explorable interconnected levels.

Yeah it's not From Software level, but let's give Respawn a little credit maybe? It's the first time they tried something like this and they did a mighty fine job.

You changed your stance regarding open closed world quickly. Oh well.

Anyway, the game is fun. It just is. I think it being starwars is what saves it. Otherwise its just a pretty obvious a copy paste of several games together. Yes, almost every game copies something. It is what it is though, and with so many stupid fillers in between ("exploration", chests for shaders and poncho materials and some exposition which I'm pretty sure most dont bother with after pressing interact). Its a shame there is nothing truely special about this game because the story is quite fine, I like it.

And dathomir was truely lame.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

So what? It being their first or tenth time attempting something like this should have nothing to do with my personal enjoyment from the way it was designed. It's actually egregious too when you consider how completely unoriginal the game is, and they could have designed the maps so much better, but only read the CliffsNotes on all the material from other developers they studied.

At the end of the day, it's a Tomb Raider light that has some above average--yet still janky--for a Western studio combat. The best thing about the game to me was the music, many of the sound effects (which we've heard countless times now from other games) and the first impression on Bracca, which gave an overwhelmingly false one at that. My enjoyment should have zero impact on your own too.

I wish Star Wars media would stop taking the time to show that Darth Vader was an impossible badass. He had a cute scene in Rogue One. He didn't need to be here.

Yeah, and you know what else?
All of this added exposition makes a particular scene from the first film even more ridiculous now in hindsight. In this game they let you know he's the most feared Sith in all of the galaxy, yet in the first film him being a Sith, his powers and all of the shit he had done up to that point was a blip in the history books and seen as snake oil by a fucking Admiral in the Empire?

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Kashyyyk is the worst, you basically go in one lane to your target destination and when you return to the planet for a second visit you go the same exact linear corridor again just to take another fork leading to the "new area"

that is why i said "fake Metroidvania" about the game´s structure

tbh that's exactly how metroid feels to me, especially Metroid Prime.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Finally beat the game. It took my only 22 hours, which is lower than expected as I didn't really had much trouble with the combat and puzzles.

Overall, I like it a lot, but I also agree with some of the common complaints. Animation is not up to it which unfortunately affect the flow of combat. I never had any issue with the backtracking as the shortcuts are enough to keep the traveling much shorter. Story is good, but not great. There are lots of great moments but I never feel that attached to the characters that much. It's probably because they never had enough screen time since most of my time playing the game was spent exploring the maps. If the sequel can fix some of the major problems with this game, it might become a game to be remembered. I'd love to see where the story goes from here.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this game wasn't Star Wars, I would have dropped it due to the inconsistent combat, glitches, bad platforming (I hate the sliding sections, and every time you have to wall-run and jump to grab a rope before you unlock Force Pull), an extremely bland main cast and meh story, but Respawn used the SW universe so well in this game that I'm loving every second of it, despite the technical issues and some design flaws.

Also, I'm getting frequent loading pauses on Xbox One X. Digital Foundry and/or whoever said the X version doesn't hang up that often clearly didn't do much exploring and/or sprint. Every time I go somewhere the game clearly doesn't expect me to go (like backtrack after meditation instead of going forward) I get those loading pauses. It's infuriating.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
You changed your stance regarding open closed world quickly. Oh well.

Anyway, the game is fun. It just is. I think it being starwars is what saves it. Otherwise its just a pretty obvious a copy paste of several games together. Yes, almost every game copies something. It is what it is though, and with so many stupid fillers in between ("exploration", chests for shaders and poncho materials and some exposition which I'm pretty sure most dont bother with after pressing interact). Its a shame there is nothing truely special about this game because the story is quite fine, I like it.

And dathomir was truely lame.

I never said it was open, so you're not reading. Oh well.

Agreed the cosmetics don't really add anyhting special, but I'm also finding a lot of echoes (which give tons of XP), stims, life and force upgrades, which a lot of people conveniently don't mention when whining about the exploration.

So what? It being their first or tenth time attempting something like this should have nothing to do with my personal enjoyment from the way it was designed. It's actually egregious too when you consider how completely unoriginal the game is, and they could have designed the maps so much better, but only read the CliffsNotes on all the material from other developers they studied.

At the end of the day, it's a Tomb Raider light that has some above average--yet still janky--for a Western studio combat. The best thing about the game to me was the music, many of the sound effects (which we've heard countless times now from other games) and the first impression on Bracca, which gave an overwhelmingly false one at that. My enjoyment should have zero impact on your own too.

Yeah, and you know what else?
All of this added exposition makes a particular scene from the first film even more ridiculous now in hindsight. In this game they let you know he's the most feared Sith in all of the galaxy, yet in the first film him being a Sith, his powers and all of the shit he had done up to that point was a blip in the history books and seen as snake oil by a fucking Admiral in the Empire?

I am not sure how we got from the game being labeled "tight" vs. "interconnected" to how much you enjoy this game or not, because I really don't care. I also don't care if you find the combat janky or not (feels very good to me though on the second highest difficulty, so keep on practicing). My response was to the statement that From Software (who are practically the masters of interconnected level design) games are designed better interconnected-wise, which is a "no shit Sherlock" to me. This is a first attempt Star Wars game an it should appeal to a wider audience than Dark Souls does, so obviously it's designed simpler in some regards.

This is way better than Tomb Raider IMO. What a disappointment Shadow was. A total borefest of 95% walking around seeking pointless collectables with lame level design.

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
I never said it was open, so you're not reading. Oh well.

Agreed the cosmetics don't really add anyhting special, but I'm also finding a lot of echoes (which give tons of XP), stims, life and force upgrades, which a lot of people conveniently don't mention when whining about the exploration.

I am not sure how we got from the game being labeled "tight" vs. "interconnected" to how much you enjoy this game or not, because I really don't care. I also don't care if you find the combat janky or not (feels very good to me though on the second highest difficulty, so keep on practicing). My response was to the statement that From Software (who are practically the masters of interconnected level design) games are designed better interconnected-wise, which is a "no shit Sherlock" to me. This is a first attempt Star Wars game an it should appeal to a wider audience than Dark Souls does, so obviously it's designed simpler in some regards.

This is way better than Tomb Raider IMO. What a disappointment Shadow was. A total borefest of 95% walking around seeking pointless collectables with lame level design.

True about the health and life/force upgrades. There are many times more useless chests that you had to unlock a new ability for bd to get, for some reason. Or unlock some new force ability to get to. And for fucking shaders. Talk about rewarding exploration.

Im also playing on JM difficulty. Games is super duper easy. When regular mobs give you hard times more than bosses (which I manage to 1st time them easily), it tells you something about combat. On dathomir I eventually started running from mobs because I ft like it was a waste of time and could get annoying. Camera and movement is clunky, and while I unlocked most powers by that time, I was barely using anything because why should I waste more time with trying to make cool moves that just prolong battles?

Now I dont give a damn about chests, I dont even stop to check them out (just looking for yellow chests if I spot one in the distance. I dont need more than 7 flasks anyway.

Combat is just not rewarding. I remember pkaying force unleashed and that was rewarding, much more than this game ever will. Its ashame really, they shouldnt have tried for "thoughtful combat" by copying soulsekiro. They already had a winning formula there.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finished it last night. That was a pretty good finale. They have things set up for a sequel that can improve on combat/exploration rewards. I think this game's greatest achievement is actually the character of
Merrin. The last nightsister who joins the good guys, helps out with witchcraft and has a dry sense of humor? So good. She really came into her own in those last hours, right when the game came to a close. I just hope she gets a big part in the next game because boy do I love this character. Also great performance by the voice actress.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure how we got from the game being labeled "tight" vs. "interconnected" to how much you enjoy this game or not, because I really don't care.

You told me that I should be giving Respawn a little credit, just because it's their first time attempting this, and I told you why actually, that's irrelevant. I don't play games to pat a developer on the head or make excuses for them. I play them for personal enjoyment.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
tbh that's exactly how metroid feels to me, especially Metroid Prime.

Metroid Prime feels like Metroid Prime, Fallen Order feels like a bad attempt of Metroid Prime areadesign.

the best thing about the game was the mongolian song to me

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Love how everyone is asking how long they have til the end as if they can't wait for it to be over, lol

I loved the game, but I do have a weird obsession about knowing roughly how far I am through a game. I regularly scan through a longplay of Shenmue 2, to get a rough idea how far I currently am through it.

I like when I'm watching a TV series, or reading a book, that I'll know how far I am through it.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
You told me that I should be giving Respawn a little credit, just because it's their first time attempting this, and I told you why actually, that's irrelevant. I don't play games to pat a developer on the head or make excuses for them. I play them for personal enjoyment.

Yes, give them some credit for not being as good as From who have been creating levels like this for years. It's a silly comparison to make and also irrelevant.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Man, taking down an entire unit of Stormtroopers by deflecting the machine gun troopers bolts back in one go is one of the most satisfying feelings in a game.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
It is not. 3700x, 2070 super here and it runs great at 1440p w/epic settings, with those short little stutters loading new areas, no pauses. The possible difference could be that I'm on a M.2 SSD, and as the DF video showed, even on console, the issues are I/O related.
Maybe, but I doubt it as I've only had this PC since September.

I'll move it to my M.2 and see if it makes a difference.
Yeah, I had no idea how much of a difference an SSD could make. I installed one in my PS4 Pro and it got rid of all the hang ups I used to have within the menu screen while using the FF7 theme. It's silky smooth all the time now.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Anyone know when the patch for PS4/X1 is supposed to drop? I'd love to pick up the game again after a lil' spit shine from Respawn.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it a couple hours ago. I enjoyed it and such but it felt very by the numbers. Plot didnt do much for me, but its star wars so not like i expected anything significant there. Combat was nice and felt heavy but i found the force powers very underwhelming. I get that youre a newbie jedi in this but still felt pretty boring. They mostly felt like glorified stunmoves, outside of the few times you could push someone over the ledge. But nothing will probably ever beat the physics fest that was the force unleashed.

But it was cool generally? Just incredibly safe. Just hope for something more daring in the next installment.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it - what a complete, satisfying adventure that was.

Some ending stuff:

Holy hell that Vader sequence was so cool and well done... the voice was nailed perfectly and I love that he was framed as 100% undefeatable.

Also, I don't get how people can say that (a) the game ended out of nowhere, or that (b) it makes no sense that Cal destroys the Holocron. I've heard both of these things said multiple times here.....

I mean, this part of the story is clearly over. A sequel would be great but this feels very much like a complete arc of Cal vs. Trilla. Where would things even go from here? Cal vs Vader? Assembling the actual order? Either would need an entire game or more to unfold. Fallen Order's plot resolves very nicely and is super classically paced and resolved. And as for why Cal destroys the Holocron... I mean, how is that not obvious? He knew it would bring misfortune when he had the vision of himself becoming an Inquisitor, and then it was really reinforced by meeting Vader and seeing how unstoppable he was in his anti-Jedi crusade. He doesn't feel like his place to bring kids into that, and explicitly says so when he breaks it. It's crystal clear and makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, loved the game despite a few imperfections. I think it had a lot of heart and it really felt like an earnest attempt to make something good and impactful rather than a half-assed Star Wars cash-in, which it easily could have been.
Completely agreed, I think the ending is fantastic. It makes sense, its built up to well and I wouldn't change anything about it