• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
I went to Dathomir to at least get the upgrade everyone is talking about but i reached a point where i can't jump as far as i have to and still no upgrade.Did i miss anything?
That's actually right on the path. Go back towards the entrance to that room, but hook around to the right instead of going back up the stairs. You should find a path.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I went to Dathomir to at least get the upgrade everyone is talking about but i reached a point where i can't jump as far as i have to and still no upgrade.Did i miss anything?

Yeah you missed it.

It's a benchwork.

The place you have to jump is for story related stuff later.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did u meet the old man? Turn around and go down on right side, there is a lightsaber bench there.
That's actually right on the path. Go back towards the entrance to that room, but hook around to the right instead of going back up the stairs. You should find a path.
Yeah you missed it.

It's a benchwork.

The place you have to jump is for story related stuff later.
Did u meet the old man? Turn around and go down on right side, there is a lightsaber bench there.

I did find the workbench but i didn't get anything?I can only customise the lightsaber there.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Played a few hours (played the intro, the first planet and an hour or so of the second) and enjoying this quite a bit.

I've definitely noticed slowdown playing on an original Xbone but I haven't noticed the bad loading times during gameplay Digital Foundry found yet. We'll see what happens when I get further.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a few hours (played the intro, the first planet and an hour or so of the second) and enjoying this quite a bit.

I've definitely noticed slowdown playing on an original Xbone but I haven't noticed the bad loading times during gameplay Digital Foundry found yet. We'll see what happens when I get further.
Anytime you die it's bad.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Playing on Jedi Master difficulty, I found myself dying to almost every boss fight once at most, or two in a few occasions. They're mostly because my impatience in learning the moves and patterns. Overall, it's on the easier side, and I'll definitely play on Grandmaster for the replay down the line later.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game last night and returned it to redbox five minutes before getting charged another day. For the $3 I spent I had lots of fun. I played on Jedi Master for maybe 2/3 of the game before bumping it down to Knight just to get through the story.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main quest of Zeffo, and didn't realize I barely had 50% of the planet completed. I decided to just go on with the main objective instead. I'm going to assume that even if I finish the main story, I can just go back to all the planets, correct? There's no point of no return, right?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main quest of Zeffo, and didn't realize I barely had 50% of the planet completed. I decided to just go on with the main objective instead. I'm going to assume that even if I finish the main story, I can just go back to all the planets, correct? There's no point of no return, right?
That remaining 50% isn't all available to you at the moment. The main story will take you back to Zeffo later. And yes, after credits the game takes you back to right before the final section so you're free to return to any planets and go for 100% completion.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yes. You can always go back to them anytime. Also, not sure if this is a spoiler..
Even by following the story, you'll be directed to revisit each planet later. So you can complete the maps while doing story objectives.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loving the game, but its clear that i needed a few more months, also, how come every normal chest has cosmetics, wtf, at least change some lightsaber stats with them.
Annnnd, combat needs works, hit boxes are all over the place, but overall, fantastic game, hopefully we will get a sequel.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Finished the main story last night. I'm going to go find more stuff and at least complete the skill tree. I agree with a lot of the criticisms, but when the combat works well it is very satisfying.

Pros:
  1. Game is not overly punishing, but trying to reach the next meditation point can create a good tension, especially if you are low on health
  2. I found it enjoyable to explore the maps and revisit areas for new finds and XP
  3. Figuring out strategies for different enemies and bosses is usually fun

Cons:
Jank
  • Combat can clunk, enemies manage to turn in midair to hit you and follow your movements when slowed
  • Force powers are too expensive, really interferes with having a jedi feeling. Some powers (power attack) are silly, the risk of a long animation should be the cost. As little force as you have, the cost of slow should be adequate for the slow-overhead combo.
  • Too many powers seem only good for crowd control, which are often easy enough anyway
  • Lock on is often poor, and it's easy to get stuck on a wall or have the camera facing a weird/useless direction
  • While I didn't think the platform was awful, there's too much of it

It could have used another six months. I think, after Respawn is done patching, this will be a top-tier, amazing game. I love it in spite of the issues.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Game is pretty, story looks interesting but too hard for my taste even in lower difficult and the continue stuttering hurts the experience.
Also - how could they forgot the include a teleport back to the ship option?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Some of my frustrations with this are coming from the team copying Souls design without going all the way. Mainly their poor implementation of bonfires/mediation spots. For one, there weren't checkpoints in Souls games, so you always knew where you'd end up if you died. This made bonfires/lamps a tactical resource, since choosing which to rest at could be paramount in getting back to a location faster or be a better starting spot for a route. Also they were placed somewhat sparingly, allowing them to act as landmarks and bastions of relief from the otherwise deadly world

Fallen Order does not handle its equivalent with such grace. They're placed in a somewhat haphazard manner, sometimes baffling close to eachother or in a spot that means you have to endure cutscenes and platforming and minibosses all over again if you die. Plus, there are also autosave checkpoints so sometimes when you die, you might not respawn where you thought you would. Additionally the worlds doesn't seem sprawling and layered enough to warrant the bonfire system, when traditional checkpoints would have been suffice when you're engaging in relatively linear objectives. It just adds this backtracking annoyance without the sense of forging forward and strategic resting that contextualized the system in From's games.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Just killing some spiders the grandmaster way.

there's an even funnier trick/exploit for that specific area, you can stay on the ledge below all those creatures and force pull them down to you. If the spiders land on the middle ledge (where you should be pulling them down) they won't even attack but just kinda bug out and warp in place and die easy. I farmed 2-3 skill points that way. The slugs can't really be pulled down but will just hover above you and you can just saber em from below.

I found a lot of those kind of exploits, like enemies leashed to specific rooms so just backing up a bit lets you attack but not get hit back, although for the most part the AI is really good about having enemies jump up and down, traverse areas, etc. Just a few key places involving doors or gaps breaks them.

Oct 27, 2017
Loving this game minus the post death load times....also i don't really see a point to using the slowdown force power in combat if the enemy still turns towards you perfectly frame by frame when you dodge or attack in slo mo. That has to be a glitch i hope...

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
So I was able to eventually get the game, despite Redbox still not accepting my credit card for some reason. I beat the campaign last night, and I have to say that I really liked the game overall even though I have several issues with it. The story was good, the audio was fantastic, the graphics were (mostly) good, and the combat was ok. I liked the game enough that I've hoping for a sequel or some DLC planets.

I really enjoyed everything about the story, except for one logistical impossibility that took me out of the moment. Unfortunately it happens at the very end of the game, so huge spoiler incoming:

After defeating Trilla, Vader shows up. (Awesome!) However, after running back to the elevator, and literally shutting the elevator doors in Vader's face, he somehow magically appears all the way on the upper floor behind the exit door to stop you. How? There were no other exists or entrances to the Interrogation section. They even said as much in exposition, because that section is specifically meant to be the most secure part of the facility. And yet, Vader not only gets out of that area, but somehow beats you to a door that is clear across the compound. It doesn't make any sense. And Cere does the same thing, in addition to making a surprise comeback from being tossed over the edge of a walkway. Those two things immediately pulled me out of the moment and made me roll my eyes, which up to that point was pretty entertaining.

The combat was good, except the parry mechanic is either broken or terribly implemented. I know it's not me, since I'm not stranger to action games that require precision timing. There is just something off about the parry windows. I feel like they don't line up with the actual animations of the enemies. Yes, I'm aware the window length changes with difficulty. I played on the hardest one, and I also tried the others. It doesn't work the way it should. I ended up changing my timing to hit block when their animations start, instead of when I'm about to be hit and that seemed to work more often, but still not consistently. I hope they fix this in a patch, because it would make the combat feel so much better.

Also, no fast travel for post-game clean-up is mind-bogglingly stupid. Finishing a few of the achievements are going to be so annoying because is that.

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the game, but its clear that i needed a few more months, also, how come every normal chest has cosmetics, wtf, at least change some lightsaber stats with them.
Annnnd, combat needs works, hit boxes are all over the place, but overall, fantastic game, hopefully we will get a sequel.

It's a well-known fact that other colours make you do better with your lightsaber. None of this baby blue! Green 4 lyfe.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Game is pretty, story looks interesting but too hard for my taste even in lower difficult and the continue stuttering hurts the experience.
Also - how could they forgot the include a teleport back to the ship option?

the game has a story mode, it is explicitly made for people that just want to experience the story and/or are playing with the controller upside down.. switch to that

do you really think they forgot a back to ship option? it is there to make the game feel longer, if you could teleport back it would be a 10hrs game. even with the backtracking and second planet visits this feels not like an epic journey

You get a lot of shortcuts so I think it's intentional.

the shortcuts don´t help with "go back to the ship" though

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder on Xbox if there is a difference between older and newer systems. I was experiencing around 8-15 second load times after I died to enemies (Respawn button reload), it was shorter in the first 2 planets and longer in the latter planets. I didn't crash a single time on X, but I recently swapped my scorpio launch X to the newer Gears of War 5 LE X through a trade promo. I know in the past people have said they have issues with older X's having heating issues, wonder if thats in play on the crashes.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
the shortcuts don´t help with "go back to the ship" though
They do because the first time at all of these planets, you get a new route (that's also shorter) to take to go back to your ship, you're not backtracking through the same path that you originally took from your ship. Subsequent returns to the planets already have these shortcuts back unlocked, so you are repeating the route back, but it's very quick

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm still fairly early on, and want to try and get impressions from the thread on what sequence people have gone.

I did Bogano, and then chose Zeffo instead of Dathomir, when I completed Zeffo I chose to continue on to Kashyyk, which I'm only at the beginning of. Haven't check but I imagine you can go back on the ship and go to Dathomir, but that would feel like abandoning on the story I'm in.

It doesn't matter which sequence you take does it?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why, oh why, oh why...

Is Saber Throw locked that far into the skill tree? That shit is like basic baby Jedi stuff. I guess the mindset is that other Jedi are using a combination of Force Push and Force Pull to do it and Cal was locked off from both of those powers at the start, but...

C'mon, Cal. Step it up. :/

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
In terms of complaints about later mechanics...
Twin sabers! Sweet! Except A: It's a special attack, not a style and B:The crowd-control weapon gets a single-target special, and the single-target weapon gets a crowd-control special. FUCK!

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
God, I suck at parrying in this game. I beat Sekiro - why is this so difficult? Either the timing is way off or something...

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the mindset is that other Jedi are using a combination of Force Push and Force Pull to do it and Cal was locked off from both of those powers at the start, but...
Yep, that was the conclusion I came to as well. Like most of the mechanics in this game (more than most games) I like that there's a narrative justification for it. Also, you unlock it at right around the middle of the game, so there's still plenty of playtime left where you can use it

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm still fairly early on, and want to try and get impressions from the thread on what sequence people have gone.

I did Bogano, and then chose Zeffo instead of Dathomir, when I completed Zeffo I chose to continue on to Kashyyk, which I'm only at the beginning of. Haven't check but I imagine you can go back on the ship and go to Dathomir, but that would feel like abandoning on the story I'm in.

I'd say it's worth going to Dathomir before Zeffo (or just early on in general) just to
get the double bladed lightsaber upgrade, and then as soon as you get that
you can just go to / back to the main story. It's definitely a big difficulty spike early on but doing some of Dathomir first and then going to Zeffo helped me get a grasp of the combat a lot better I think.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

Just a heads up, once you take a few steps into Kashyyyk, you lose the ability to return to the ship until you've completed that story section.

donginator

Jun 4, 2019
What other games have a red haired male protagonist where the hair isn't comedic in nature or due to some supernatural effect?

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
Just a heads up, once you take a few steps into Kashyyyk, you lose the ability to return to the ship until you've completed that story section.
On a related note, travelling between planets does not automatically rest you.
I had to do the Kashyyyk opening with one hit of health and no stims, which made it... somewhat nervewracking.

Oct 28, 2017
Beat the game.
It's pretty funny to me that
Nightsister Merrin gets more character development in the reasonably small part of the game she's in than Rey does in the first two movies she's been in.