• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Starting to get really fucking annoying now.
How do I get back to the ship after I have been to Zeffo the first time? I have Push and Comp Link now, and am in the abandoned village, but cant get on the other side of the one fucking building I am on because I cant Pull the broken bridge down.

Ice cave... Also very confusing and this thing keeps happening all the freaking time through the game.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i have next to no experience with combat in games like this and can use some tips for facing melee enemies, especially inquisitors where my strategy is literally run away to recharge force energy so i can do the dash attack that seems to always hit, rinse and repeat. everything else seems to be blocked, parries don't seem to give me an opening (unless i'm blowing it), and i seem to just mash otherwise which of course screws up opportunities to avoid damage by dodging at the right time. slow/push useful in any situation? dual saber vs single +/_? it feels like i'm not taking advantage of the tools available to me.

anybody?

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So, you are supposed to come back to these planets later in the main quest, right? Seems like there's a lot of ground to be explored and the game is directing me to another planet anyway.

Very much enjoying the game, but I wish there was more customization. Exploration would be more satisfying if it lead to meaningful upgrades instead of pointless lightsaber cosmetics. Would be great if they introduced mods that changed your lightsaber's stats. Oh well, maybe in the sequel.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to parry. Just normal blocking and then attacking after the enemy opens themselves up after one of their attacks - that strategy works against most of the enemies in the game, humanoid or creature

So, you are supposed to come back to these planets later in the main quest, right? Seems like there's a lot of ground to be explored and the game is directing me to another planet anyway.
Yes, the game gives you main quest reasons to return to planets later on with more abilities, so you don't have to go out of your way to return to these planets to check out the newly available areas

Very much enjoying the game, but I wish there was more customization. Exploration would be more satisfying if it lead to meaningful upgrades instead of pointless lightsaber cosmetics. Would be great if they introduced mods that changed your lightsaber's stats. Oh well, maybe in the sequel.
It's funny, when God of War 2018 came out, a lot of people gave it shit for the "unnecessary, tacked on" RPG and gear elements, but when they're missing in a big modern game like this or Sekiro, you see just how important they are to that persistent feeling of gradually making progress.

Last edited:

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
i have next to no experience with combat in games like this and can use some tips for facing melee enemies, especially inquisitors where my strategy is literally run away to recharge force energy so i can do the dash attack that seems to always hit, rinse and repeat. everything else seems to be blocked, parries don't seem to give me an opening (unless i'm blowing it), and i seem to just mash otherwise which of course screws up opportunities to avoid damage by dodging at the right time. slow/push useful in any situation? dual saber vs single +/_? it feels like i'm not taking advantage of the tools available to me.

also, been using auto targeting, because i dont want to have to target and switch targets mid fight, but as the game is now throwing many enemies at once it seems to be getting in the way more than helping. should i turn it off and just learn to use it?

First non Halo / Forza game Ivy ;)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It seems the developers fundamentally misunderstood the function of bonfires in Soulsborne. Literally one of the worst mechanics in the game next to the borked parrying.

I tried Dathomir first and left to go to Zeffo. It's really quite difficult early on.

The game told me this when I chose there first and I said, "fuck you, I beat Sekiro." They were slightly right, it was a difficult area for a starter but I quickly learned what to do and mowed through until I got to the dead end and had to leave the planet. Why even give us Dathomir as a choice so early on if you can't even progress in it beyond the first area?

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Well...i just pushed a Miniboss down a cliff. There is no corpse... no xp and more important no 100% scan savegame for me? =(

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Why even give us Dathomir as a choice so early on if you can't even progress in it beyond the first area?
The obvious reason, which I'm sure you know, is to give the option of getting a particular upgrade early in the game. The other reason is because there's some story elements on Dothemir, that are first presented in the first areas of that planet, that become quite important later on. Allowing those to be introduced earlier make them seem far less convenient than if they were introduced in the main story only when they become relevant.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
I genuinely cant believe there aren't any Jedi Robe cosmetics in the game, they missed a step on that one, also they could have added some movie lightsabers into the game, other than that, this is an awesome game, and I haven't completed it yet so I have no idea if it leads to a sequel or a trilogy but man as a starting game I would love to see a Cal Kestis trilogy.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I don't think I've ever felt so completely outmatched by a character. So powerful they don't even pretend you could stand a chance in a fight. I thought it made for a kinda underwhelming ending though, but not sure where they could keep going after that, because we obviously can't fight Vader and never will.
I expected the game to keep going, then the credits rolled. I didn't mind the ending but there is a lot of sequel baiting.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely cant believe there aren't any Jedi Robe cosmetics in the game, they missed a step on that one, also they could have added some movie lightsabers into the game, other than that, this is an awesome game, and I haven't completed it yet so I have no idea if it leads to a sequel or a trilogy but man as a starting game I would love to see a Cal Kestis trilogy.
There are absolutely lightsaber parts in the game that are modelled after Luke's, Obi-Wan's, Darth Vader's lightsabers, etc

I expected the game to keep going, then the credits rolled. I didn't mind the ending but there is a lot of sequel baiting.
Not really. All of the major beats of a cohesive three act structure are present and executed extremely well, and the story reaches its logical conclusion, albeit not in the way that is initially expected.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I don't actually mind the idea of only cosmetics being hidden in the world since RPG-esque upgrades and component parts can just be a whole can of worms that some games are better off without. That said I also wish the cosmetics were better. I get wanting to maintain a core silhouette (poncho over work vest suit) but the could have done a lot more. At least have different models or armor pieces or stuff like this. So many cool designs in the Star Wars universe but the cosmetics here are kind of all just the same.

I still explore for the intrinsic enjoyment of uncovering more of the map, but it's definitely a slight bummer that when I see a hard to reach chest I just know it's gonna be some new switch for my lightsaber or other cosmetic that I really can't even notice when I equip it.

I think if they didn't want to go the RPG route (which is fine!) the game could have really benefitted from some quick use consumables, like thermal detonators, force refills, temporary damage buffs, and stuff like that. It would at least provide a good reason to explore, in terms of mechanics.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
That ending was complete bullshit though. The whole playthrough is pointless if he destroys the holocron. And then it just ends?

haradaku7

May 28, 2018

I agree, the game feel very linear and not very intresting out side of story progression. It needed another layer of coloectabilty or challenges to make it feel a bit more fleshed out, side missions, costumes, moves, bosses, Items, stats and such. something I hope they improve on in the eventual sequel.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I am really digging this game way more than I thought I would. Playing on PS4 Pro and I'm really impressed. It's scratching that Uncharted itch.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
That ending was complete bullshit though. The whole playthrough is pointless if he destroys the holocron. And then it just ends?
Did you pay attention at all to the last act of the story? They bring up multiple times why it would be a bad idea to actually use the Holocron to restart the Jedi Order.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
The game doesn't even throw many bosses your way (which is a shame imo).

Huh ?

there's a metric ton of bosses in this game, particularly when you reach a certain point in the story, then you get random ones on the planets

We have to differentiate between combat vs wildlife and combat vs humanoids in this game, because both is different.
Wildlife is more like "souls". Mostly dodge, sometimes parry, but whenever your Lightsaber hits you do direct damage to the health pool. Force powers can work, but have rather weak results here. Especially on large creatures. This is true for most bosses (not all though).

You're not playing right if you think force powers have rather weak results. You straight up one shot most of the little creatures with enhanced push for instance

Than there is combat against humanoid targets. They have a defense meter. You can only damage their health-pool when their defense meter is empty or you hit them from behind. You can deplete their defense meter by parrying (not super effective against elite ones), attacking them or using force powers and special attacks. Using powers to control their defense works great and is more effective than parrying imo. But you need to be active and aggressive to replenish your force-power. Throwing a purge trooper against a wall and than jumping him is more effective than to wait for one of their attacks to parry. Powers can also be used to crowd control. Storm troopers shooting you? Pick one up and use him as a shield for example. Slow the elite trooper down and go for the weaker first etc.

Look, I'm not saying this is completely different than souls. All I'm saying is: Do not go in and expect it to be Dark Souls with Lightsabers. Because it is "not hide behind your defenses" and strike when opportunity allows it. You can make your own opportunities, if you want. It's actually quiet fun, not the best combat system in the world, but fun.

Sorry but Grandmaster is actually souls with lightsabers, since you cant really use the force all that much until you get the heal upgrade in the skill tree that fills entirely your force gauge each time you're using a stim. Doing executions don't really fill your gauge until you get the "+ force on hit" upgrade in the skill tree as well

Like the whole point in GM is to dodge / parry and chip away either health or stamina as efficiently as possible, but you can't really toy with the force as creatively and as often than in Jedi master. It genuinely feels like a completely different game, to a quite baffling extent.

Like seriously Jedi master is almost a mindless (but rad) beat em all with a ressource to manage in order to do cool shit when you're not dealing with bosses. There's a defense meter for some enemies that you can break which in turn enables you to do finishers. Its super fun, don't get me wrong, but really not the same lol

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to parry. Just normal blocking and then attacking after the enemy opens themselves up after one of their attacks - that strategy works against most of the enemies in the game, humanoid or creature

Yes, the game gives you main quest reasons to return to planets later on with more abilities, so you don't have to go out of your way to return to these planets to check out the newly available areas

It's funny, when God of War 2018 came out, a lot of people gave it shit for the "unnecessary, tacked on" RPG and gear elements, but when they're missing in a big modern game like this or Sekiro, you see just how important they are to that persistent feeling of gradually making progress.
Thanks!

And yeah, I agree with you, especially when we are talking about 20+ hours long campaigns that need to keep you engaged for a long time.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I wish video games would fuck off with this "oh you got hit by attack? lol gutted, here's another attack while your character is in the getting up animation, get fucked! Oh you're still not in control of the game? Here, have another one!"

fuck straight off

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
The game told me this when I chose there first and I said, "fuck you, I beat Sekiro." They were slightly right, it was a difficult area for a starter but I quickly learned what to do and mowed through until I got to the dead end and had to leave the planet. Why even give us Dathomir as a choice so early on if you can't even progress in it beyond the first area?

Because you get the double lightsaber by doing so ?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
how about dual vs single light saber? obviously the game points out the dual saber is great for crowd control, but it seems better to the single blade in every way (except perhaps responsiveness in blocking/reflecting fire?)

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017

also, been using auto targeting, because i dont want to have to target and switch targets mid fight, but as the game is now throwing many enemies at once it seems to be getting in the way more than helping. should i turn it off and just learn to use it?
The main thing is that the tougher enemies require more than one parry to get through their block. They've got a block bar under their life bar that will go down as they block or as you parry them, and when that empties you can get free hits. As far as I can tell you get a certain number of hits, and so consider using the strong attack here instead of the weak one.

Otherwise most of the enemies will be vulnerable for a little bit after they get through an attack rotation and especially after they do a red attack.

The dodge-kick skill is really useful against some enemies -- it breaks their block instantly. It only seems to work when you're locked on.

I stuck to the single saber for almost everything -- it does more damage per hit. The dual saber is fantastic for when four stormtroopers pop up and start shooting at you though, since it can reflect everything back instead of just one shot.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
how about dual vs single light saber? obviously the game points out the dual saber is great for crowd control, but it seems better to the single blade in every way (except perhaps responsiveness in blocking/reflecting fire?)

Funny you mention that, when you get the powerful moves, the single lightsaber's one is a crowd control attack while the double lightsaber is a high single target damage one lol

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping the lightsaber customization would have some influence on gameplay, feels pointless to have several parts for it otherwise.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't sound like you figured it out. A parry is just that, a perfect timed block that results in an attack (or blaster shot) being deflected and costing you no block gauge. If it's in melee, it does damage to the enemy's block gauge as well. HOWEVER, many enemies have special strings/attacks that when parried do give you instant kills on them.

How do you figure them out though? Scan them, and read their bio. Here's some examples.

Ahh thanks for the info!

I know that the low tier enemies are much easier to insta kill with parries, but the purge troopers I always thought you had to perfect parry multiple times...

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
played the game for 3-4 hours, this has to be one of the less polished triple a game i played in this entire gen, hitbox on some enemies are complete bullshit...combat in general is not near souls or sekiro or even lesser games tbh.

nice graphics tho.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure I just did the fight you are talking about and not sure what's so messy about it? The game has ranged opponents that actually do something and I could see that be a problem but you just gotta take it slow, use force on melee opponents and reflect ranged shots.

That one felt really messy to me. But I'm not great at these games, Sekiro was something I could not get through. Could also be my PC being on the lower end and just general annoyance with some of the games systems.
I would love to have some fun with the force powers but they are always empty.

What is the "stim amount" you had/have when you reached this point?
Maybe I have to look for more, 3 feels a bit on the low end.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Cause
It seems the developers fundamentally misunderstood the function of bonfires in Soulsborne. Literally one of the worst mechanics in the game next to the borked parrying.

Cause there is an item you can get without needing powers thats nice to have early on.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
I wish this game had sprint and dodge on the same button like the Souls games. I loved being able to dodge right into sprinting to quickly attack an enemy.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is there much left of the game when
the story leads to Dathomir and i have defeated the bat creature

this game feels way longer than it is at this point, just want to be done with it

It's been out a day when you posted this and you wanted it done with. Stop playing if you don't like it.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
and it shows!

i'm doing fine, but just playing cheesy and dont feel like i'm taking advantage of only a fraction of the tools available to me.

Ha totally been there. I wish I could help but I haven't picked it up yet but if it is anything like Souls / Sekiro spend the time mastering dodge / block mechanics. It will always make your life a million times better if you put the time into getting that down.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think it needs more unlocks in general and a new game plus mode that at the very least carries over the costmetics you've earned. Some DLC I'd like to see post release are character packs like TFU had so you can play through the campaign as somebody completely different like Luke, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Rey, Kylo Ren etc. I don't care if it looks goofy in cutscenes it would just be fun to play through as them.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
I am loving this game but WOW fuck the
Rabid Albiono Jotaz. Get stun-locked and you are a basically dead. This thing is pissing me off.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got no problem with that, assuming they have enough time to polish the sequel properly. I'm genuinely really enjoying this, but it definitely needed another few months of polish.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It's not very often I read an OT on this site and come away not knowing if a game is actually any good or not,lol.
I guess I'll just pick it up cheap or even wait till PS5 given it drops to 720p on base PS4.