• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
You're not alone. I don't know what it is abouit the map but im having a hard time to navigate it.
This game desperately DESPERATELY needs a teleport back to Mantis button because I have felt trapped by so much of this game's bullshit.

Fucking hell YES.

I'm enjoying the game more now I dropped the difficulty down a notch but the trying to navigate using this absoifuckinglutely dogshit holomap is just a pain.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Yeh lol, the game went from 100 to 60 real quick. Literally just done with the first planet.

Getting used to combat, but I would like to feel more or a jedi. But let's see how the game progresses.

However, should I be able to beat the frog boss?? He literally kills me straight away

There's actually a shortcut to get above him and perform a sekiro style deathblow:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Really enjoying my time with the game, my biggest gripe I'd say is the lack of fast travel.

I love exploring and unlocking new routes in the worlds, but going back to a planet and having to retrace all my steps to get to a section I couldn't before is maddening. Some planets like Zeffo are massive, I'm kind of dreading heading back there to unlock those paths all the way in the back of the map.

And why in the world isn't there a "teleport back to Mantis" option? That'd save me a huge headache.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just traveled to the first planet. Holy shit this is pretty cool, music is fantastic. Story is surprisingly engaging.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Fucking hell YES.

I'm enjoying the game more now I dropped the difficulty down a notch but the trying to navigate using this absoifuckinglutely dogshit holomap is just a pain.

the holomap is one of the good things about the game, i mean you have a 3D model of the exact environment you are in...just zoom in a little and look for a route

Really enjoying my time with the game, my biggest gripe I'd say is the lack of fast travel.

I love exploring and unlocking new routes in the worlds, but going back to a planet and having to retrace all my steps to get to a section I couldn't before is maddening. Some planets like Zeffo are massive, I'm kind of dreading heading back there to unlock those paths all the way in the back of the map.

And why in the world isn't there a "teleport back to Mantis" option? That'd save me a huge headache.

because the game would feel much shorter if they added this option :-) it extends the playtime dramatically

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to mark unopened/unopenable chests? I can see that inaccessible DOORS show up on the map, but there's a whole bunch of boxes on Bogano that I can't open yet and I want to remember to go back for them.

The map does a lot of smart things (marking unexplored areas, places where you simply don't have the power for, and places you do), but not marking unopenable chests you've found seems like a huge oversight

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game desperately DESPERATELY needs a teleport back to Mantis button because I have felt trapped by so much of this game's bullshit.
You need to open the shortcuts back. It's extremely fast to get back ot the Mantis from almost anywhere.

I can't fathom people bitching about how long it takes to get around in this. It literally highlights the shortcuts for you in green. Just open them.

Mar 22, 2019
Keep jumping when i want to dodge, its quite funny especially fighting the frogs to see a jedi leaping around being chased.

Decided to go through my first playthrough on story mode as i want to enjoy and get comfortable first.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The level design is more akin to Metroid Prime than the souls games. I love it. Combat really needed more time in the oven.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The level design is more akin to Metroid Prime than the souls games. I love it. Combat really needed more time in the oven.
Yeah, this is why I don't really get some of the complaints. Did people complain this much about the map and the lack of fast travel in the Metroid Prime games as well? So far, the amount of shortcuts available has made it so it doesn't really take that long to backtrack.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
This game is incredibly, unforgivably buggy on Xbox. Glitches, poor performance and cutting out audio nonwithstanding - I'm several hours in and the game now hangs for me when traveling to a new planet. How'd this game pass cert?

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
not getting the fast travel complaints.. This is the type of game this is. Its kinda the point. I haven't had any issue finding my way back to the ship or anything.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Love the combat control. The only nitpick I can find is that targeting and enemy can be wonky, especially the camera.

Just got the dual light sabre. Love this game.
Yeah, agreed on that part. Camera can be wonky especially when fighting multiple enemies at once.

I hate the combat with creatures in this. Truly hate it. Dodge is just not useful with the big enemies. I want to love this game but the combat design just isn't there for me. Especially outside of the humanoid enemies.
For creatures, parry is your best bet. Parrying creatures attack at less than half health will lead to finishing strike prompt too. Even simply guarding will help immensely in combat with creatures.

not getting the fast travel complaints.. This is the type of game this is. Its kinda the point. I haven't had any issue finding my way back to the ship or anything.
Yeah, there's always a shortcut to go back to the ship, or going to a relatively far point of the map from the ship.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
my perfomance issues were mainly in the beginning. a tad on zeffo. And a bunch in the first half of wookie-ville.
i made it back to zeffo and everythings seemed to calm down. And im not getting hiccups or anything anymore. for now

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Yeah, this is why I don't really get some of the complaints. Did people complain this much about the map and the lack of fast travel in the Metroid Prime games as well? So far, the amount of shortcuts available has made it so it doesn't really take that long to backtrack.
There's no way to know the people who are having issues have even played Metroid.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Why would you want a fast travel in a metroidvania ? also man hearing all these posts about console performance is kinda sad : | sorry for the experience you're getting guys. On pc I dialed down shadows to medium and draw distance to high, it solved the constant stuttering I was getting

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Can anybody tell me how close I am to the end? I just finished Ilum and I feel like I'm almost done.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Why would you want a fast travel in a metroidvania ? also man hearing all these posts about console performance is kinda sad : | sorry for the experience you're getting guys. On pc I dialed down shadows to medium and draw distance to high, it solved the constant stuttering I was getting
Yeah, it's running beautifully on my relatively old PC too. Loading times are fast as well, 15-20 seconds on first boot, and 10 seconds max on deaths. No crash nor performance complaints from me.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dodge is quite literally the best tool against creatures tho, especially down the line with a particular talent in the skill tree. For instance the best way to deal with spiders is a double dodge on their side, slow time, and pummel their web thingie in the back (critical hit spot)

Same about humans, back hits are instant kills if you're not fighting officers / purge troopers

I love that the stim packs are hidden btw, gives some incentive to explore and in Zeffos it leads to some fucked up boss encounters lol

Also the game really "starts" quite late down the line, when it does tho buckle up cuz all the safeties are off and it becomes pretty brutal. Im eagerly waiting to read some impressions about one particular instance
I'm talking more about the large creatures that cover a ton of ground with big sweeping unblockables. It doesn't really feel consistently designed there, probably because the game doesn't apply i-frames to dodging (at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't). I dunno, a lot of the combat doesn't feel as tight as it should be.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019

Souls games eventually let you fast travel between bonfires. This should too imo.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why not just have the option? It doesn't change the design. Getting back to the ship isn't "super quick" at all. It doesn't take an ass load of time but it's still annoying to have to go back through the same areas for a few minutes again. Isn't backtracking one of the things people complain about all the time in games lol?

My biggest issue is not being able to start at different points of each map when I land. Even Souls games let you pick different locations you can fast travel to.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
I'm talking more about the large creatures that cover a ton of ground with big sweeping unblockables. It doesn't really feel consistently designed there, probably because the game doesn't apply i-frames to dodging (at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't). I dunno, a lot of the combat doesn't feel as tight as it should be.

Ah that's correct, there are no iframes at all and you also can't spam parry like you would in Sekiro, its a one time affair. Either fully block or parry, or dodge on time

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Runs awesome on X1X imo.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Why not just have the option? It doesn't change the design. Getting back to the ship isn't "super quick" at all. It doesn't take an ass load of time but it's still annoying to have to go back through the same areas for a few minutes again. Isn't backtracking one of the things people complain about all the time in games lol?

My biggest issue is not being able to start at different points of each map when I land. Even Souls games let you pick different locations you can fast travel to.
you need to find the shortcut back to the ship.
You never have to "retrace all your steps", the levels are designed in a way so it sort of loops back.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The final act of the game is fuckin' sublime. From the moment you
Unlock your dual saber
through the remainder of the game is incredible.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah that's correct, there are no iframes at all and you also can't spam parry like you would in Sekiro, its a one time affair. Either fully block or parry
I'm fine with not being able to spam parry but I want to be able to perform it from a block state. Not to stray to far into "But ACTUAL JEDI did THIS" territory but lightsaber combat is defensive in nature, attacking and countering from a block or guarded state. Having to drop guard ahead of attempting to parry just doesn't feel good. Also kinda feel like that would give more weight to the block value you're given. Not sure I have ever burned through that meter because of the way the game requires you to play.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
uo1p1k7.gif

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
I'm fine with not being able to spam parry but I want to be able to perform it from a block state. Not to stray to far into "But ACTUAL JEDI did THIS" territory but lightsaber combat is defensive in nature, attacking and countering from a block or guarded state. Having to drop guard ahead of attempting to parry just doesn't feel good.

Yeah thats definitely fair

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
My post implied even with shortcuts open. It's still an unnecessary annoyance. I gain nothing from having to backtrack my steps (shortcuts included).
My whole point is there no backtracking, take the first real planet for example. After you got your new ability, you go down to the ice cave where a cable car takes you right back to the boss fight with the walker at the mantis. 0 backtracking. A perfect circle.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the combat is utter garbage and the cheapest thing ive ever seen. tracking enemies that do 180s to block me and are always teleported a little to reach me

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally do not mind getting around on foot but I feel that a lot of the complaints about needing fast travel could be alleviated by having multiple landing pads on a planet.

For example, you finish up an area, clear the enemies, and they move the ship over to there. Then on future visits to the planet you could just choose where to land based on what your goals are.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the combat is utter garbage and the cheapest thing ive ever seen. tracking enemies that do 180s to block me and are always teleported a little to reach me
But at the same time stormtroopers doing overheads can completely miss you and fuck up your parry because you moved a step or two to the left or right.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My post implied even with shortcuts open. It's still an unnecessary annoyance. I gain nothing from having to backtrack my steps (shortcuts included).
There are a handful of times where the level changes a bit during your run back, so being able to wantonly teleport back to the Mantis could hurt that. I can also think of a specific planet where you explicitly can't leave until you've progressed far enough through it. But at the same time they could just disable it during those moments. Outside of the one planet and those smaller moments I don't think it'd hurt the design of the game at all to have a button that would take you back to the Mantis.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My whole point is there no backtracking, take the first real planet for example. After you got your new ability, you go down to the ice cave where a cable car takes you right back to the boss fight with the walker at the mantis. 0 backtracking. A perfect circle.
Even there, say I want to get further back into the Imperial base in the back of the map. Once there (which takes its own time and I can't understand why we can't just pick a spawn point on the map) I still have to go back through the cave, the elevator and back to the ship. What did I gain by doing that? Just let me teleport back to the ship. Nothing valuable was added or lost.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also disgusted that I now have to carry around a (Early spoiler for your lightsaber)
staff lightsaber because I was thorough early on and went to that non-essential planet. Staff lightsabers are for chumps and they're ugly as fuck.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Ah that's correct, there are no iframes at all and you also can't spam parry like you would in Sekiro, its a one time affair. Either fully block or parry, or dodge on time
These are both wrong. There absolutely are iframes on dodges, LOTS of iframes. It's your best tool in every combat situation and let's you play aggressively.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Zeffo is gigantic. Is this planet about the same size as the other ones, or are most of them smaller?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Even there, say I want to get further back into the Imperial base in the back of the map. Once there (which takes its own time and I can't understand why we can't just pick a spawn point on the map) I still have to go back through the cave, the elevator and back to the ship. What did I gain by doing that? Just let me teleport back to the ship. Nothing valuable was added or lost.

It artificially pads the play time, so instead of an 8 hour game it's a 14 hour game.