• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of quality ignores in this thread.

Also, yea, a studio already on its heels won't recover from a game like this. I love Respawn and wish them the best but this is it. They'll do some DLC with a partnership and such but they're gone. EA is gonna end them sooner rather than later after this. I wish it wasn't the case.

Is this a copy pasta?

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
(on xb1x)
i didn't even realize there was a performance mode...or graphic options. It really didn't cross my mind to check.

So i turned all the excess stuff off. And turned performance mode on. And the games running even worse?? Is this just because of Kashyyyk?

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
I feel the same. I played a bunch yesterday but I think I'll go back to Outer Worlds until another patch drops.
Tbh before this release Respawn was always synonymous with polish for me, with the bare minimum I'd expect from them is a great feeling game. The fact that it's quite janky to play is really surprising. Can't imagine they would be happy to ship this in its current state.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Also, yea, a studio already on its heels won't recover from a game like this. I love Respawn and wish them the best but this is it. They'll do some DLC with a partnership and such but they're gone. EA is gonna end them sooner rather than later after this. I wish it wasn't the case.

I'm sorry, what?

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I am a few hours in and so far the game has been solid but not great. The game looks fantastic on PC and they really nailed the look, feel and sound of Star Wars and the lightsaber. I am not a fan of Uncharted so I am finding all the climbing to be somewhat tedious but I am enjoying the exploration which helps offset the climbing tedium and the platforming has been kinda hit or miss for me. I think the combat system is fine so far but not nearly on par with the Sekiro or even Bloodborne. The performance on PC has been pretty good with just a few stutters and frame rate drops here and there @1440p/60. Well back to it...

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I'm not seeing the great lighting, at all. Playing on a 1X/4K HDR, and it looks flat and cartoonish. Game does generally look nice, but your female Jedi's shipmate's face looks kinda goofy, with terrible skin shaders. Especially when compared to same actress's likeness in Wolfenstein 2, night and day
Do me a favor and turn off HDR in the Xbox system settings. See if that makes it a LOT more colorful for you.

The game is so incredibly flat and washed out for me with HDR on, and looks SO much better in SDR. I think it's broken al'a RDR2, or at least, just certain configurations... I'm on alpha skip ahead dash, with a TCL tv.

Mathmarauder

Nov 14, 2017
What does it mean if I'm normally good at souls type games but for some reason I'm dying endlessly even in story mode in this game? Something about the parry and dodge just feels so "un-deliberate". Like I press the dodge and it has no directionality it feels random. I'm in the camp of the first few areas I was blown away but the longer I play the worse my experience gets. With a 1070 I'm getting god awful performance, and turning down the effects introduced lots of artifacting and weird white flashing.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Can you turn off the hdr in game? I disabled the hdr on a system level (ps4 pro) and the game was even duller than before.
I dont see an HDR off option in the menu?
To see the difference, i used to have to turn it off via the xbox system settings.
But my TV got an update not long ago. That allows me to do it in the menu with my remote now. I can instantly toggle it.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is very unpolished but it is finally clicking for me now that i have a a buncha force powers.

Dying to buggy enemies is still extremely frustrating.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah I would definitely recommend modifying the controls to use the triggers to attack.

Honestly I think this game would have gotten GOTY-level scores if it had been a bit more polished. Maybe it needed a month or two longer in the oven. I'm loving it altogether, and I think the design choices are great, but man there are some technical issues.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah I would definitely recommend modifying the controls to use the triggers to attack.

Honestly I think this game would have gotten GOTY-level scores if it had been a bit more polished. Maybe it needed a month or two longer in the oven. I'm loving it altogether, and I think the design choices are great, but man there are some technical issues.
problem is on Xbox. U can only remap triggers on an Elite controller. Which i have. But i dont really want to use that for this game. I only use if i need to use paddles. And really the only thing i need on a paddle in this game is the run button

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this game have a new game+ to play with all the unlocked colors/costumes from the beginning ? Also would have been nice as an endgame reward to unlock Cal's jedi robe. that you can use on ng+.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
hmm. Im kinda against putting an attack button that i will use a lot on a trigger. Since triggers are analog. And the attack isn't an analog action. So its smarter to have it on a digital button that starts the animation immediately upon clicking.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
hmm. Im kinda against putting an attack button that i will use a lot on a trigger. Since triggers are analog. And the attack isn't an analog action. So its smarter to have it on a digital button that starts the animation immediately upon clicking.

Do you play Souls games? That's the default layout, allows maximum control of camera + attacking. But obviously, different tastes and preferences!

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
The wookiees aren't great, but hair is still really expensive for gpus, so I can forgive it. I wish they could have used the same fur they use for Greez's mutton chops, but perhaps that is just too much for this gen.
Greez's in game model (when you're not in a cutscene) isn't good either.

There's definitely areas in the game that look fucking sick, so obviously there have been some conscessions made, but OTOH we got a very competent single player star wars game w/o microtransactions so you win some you lose some.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Exploring the first planet was a real neat experience...until I forgot which of the thousand shortcuts I opened up took me back to the ship

Spent a good half an hour trying to get back, then got a hard crash on my PC.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Their depictions on the SW mural make it more apparent than the cartoon.

Yeah, after reading up on it, it makes sense. I'll be damned, I'd never really thought about it, but yeah. And actually, the fact that it's Freddie Prinze Jr kinda seals the deal for me since I've always felt like the whole Rebels cast were kind of designed to be potentially played by their voice actors in live action if the need ever arose.

Actually, it's kinda nice that the main Rebels cast is all PoC or alien within the story context too, considering that's always been a persistent trait of the Empire vs Rebellion... the Empire is almost always shown to be very white and very human; the RA is usually comparatively diverse. Nice that the show literally called Rebels reflected that.

(sorry to be all off topic in here)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the wookies alone are a crime against humanity.
Given the limitations of real time rendering there's valid reasons for wookies to look off for a LONG time when it comes to showing them in video games and a reminder of what last gen wookies looked like:

They nailed the other alien characters.

Yeah, after reading up on it, it makes sense. I'll be damned, I'd never really thought about it, but yeah. And actually, the fact that it's Freddie Prinze Jr kinda seals the deal for me since I've always felt like the whole Rebels cast were kind of designed to be potentially played by their voice actors in live action if the need ever arose.

Actually, it's kinda nice that the main Rebels cast is all PoC or alien within the story context too, considering that's always been a persistent trait of the Empire vs Rebellion... the Empire is almost always shown to be very white and very human; the RA is usually comparatively diverse. Nice that the show literally called Rebels reflected that.

(sorry to be all off topic in here)
Yea it's great stuff.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
alright. I dont love the controls as is. So im going scorched earth...to try something different.
Target to LT
Vertical Slice to RT
attack to RB
bumper Jumper LB
parry to Y ala Batman/Mordor
slow to X
Pull to A
Push to R3

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given the limitations of real time rendering there's valid reasons for wookies to look off for a LONG time when it comes to showing them in video games and a reminder of what last gen wookies looked like:

They nailed the other alien characters.

Chewie looked great on BF2 and the wookie ( hero soldiers ) looked great on BF2. Wookies in this game didn't look good. Heck even the video you posted while lower poly models they still look better than the wookies in this game. It's ok to criticize something you love man. No need jump at defending everything you like that people criticize. you do that lot. And yes i love this game 9/10. Behind RE2 for GotY for me

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

what

Apex Legends continues being profitable and this game will still sell millions.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Good, not great. Played about 5 hours, wrapping up the second planet. Not sure I like full backtrack back to your ship to end missions. Seems bloaty.

solid Redbox rental. Glad did not buy it at full price.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Chewie looked great on BF2 and the wookie ( hero soldiers ) looked great on BF2.
vfhxm4oikcscykmeiac3.png

IIRC the fur was still AF too. It will be a long time until we get great looking Wookies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering when I would meet that killer frog I had been hearing so much about here
and bam. Died and died and died. Haha

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's no Sekiro in the gameplay department to say the least, lots of jank in both gameplay and performance. Movement on Cal and enemies feel loose or floppy in some way. Imagine it feels better on PC with a solid 60+ framerate.

But not a bad first try for Respawn. Should've gone with the PC version, might sell my PS4 copy and go over there.

FYI, It doesn't, it still controls and feels like crap on PC. My biggest complaint on the game aside from everything else I absolutely hate.

Biggest disappointment of 19.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was wondering when I would meet that killer frog I had been hearing so much about here
and bam. Died and died and died. Haha

It's a good way to teach you how to fight in this game though. I died over and over and over... then I killed it. When I discovered that I could take the high-road after getting the wall walking thing down, you can take a ton of health from them by hitting x from above.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

Lol wtf?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, fuck

all the shit in the Shadowlands. The plants are creepy as hell

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Forcing myself to keep playing this. It's not a bad game, it's just bland. Nothing stand out, combat are basically Sekiro but much worse, exploration is unrewarding, animations are janky... good looking game (sometimes) and some nice acting but yeah... better than Battlefront 1 I guess ?
Not even a close to be a top 10 Star Wars game.