• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Some of the reviews (especially Eurogamer's) seriously deflated my hype for this, but I'm a sucker for anything Star Wars so I bought it anyway. Can't pass up the first (and only) single player-only Star Wars game of the generation.

So far, I like it! Looks and sounds authentically Star Wars (the music in particular is an impressive John Williams pastiche). I'm not the worlds biggest Dark Souls fan (played many, finished none), so I'm glad it eases you in gently.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Quite liking the game so far (at early Zeffo). Can't seem to nail the parry window though, feel like the wind up/attack animation is sort of arbitrary compared to something like Sekiro. This game really reminds me of the latest Tomb Raider in structure, in the way the exploration/pathing is done, and the general feel of the gameplay.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Is this game Force Unleashed tier or better? Cause i quite liked Force Unleashed. Also, for people who enjoy higher difficulties, is the game challenging in a satisfying way or in a frustrating way, or maybe not challenging at all?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno how people can feel the start of the game was the best when it's the same set piece I have played in 20 games before, incredibly boring, spectacle aside. I feel like game is getting better at the second planet (first was kind of a mess). Enjoying this area so far.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So, haven't played yet today, but thinking back to last night, am I right in remembering that if you Force Slow an enemy, then hit them, it cancels the Force Slow (or lowers it's duration) on certain enemies? Or did I imagine that?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The amount of exploration in this is almost overwhelming. I'm loving it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Is this game Force Unleashed tier or better? Cause i quite liked Force Unleashed. Also, for people who enjoy higher difficulties, is the game challenging in a satisfying way or in a frustrating way, or maybe not challenging at all?

Way better than TFU in my opinion. The combat is way more engaging and fun, even though it's a tad janky and imprecise - especially when compared to the soulsbornesekiro series (a comparison that the game openly seeks out, so that's on them).
I feel like a lot of the negative aspects of the combat system are more obvious if you are a souls Veteran.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Way better than TFU in my opinion. The combat is way more engaging and fun, even though it's a tad janky and imprecise - especially when compared to the soulsbornesekiro series (a comparison that the game openly seeks out, so that's on them).
I feel like a lot of the negative aspects of the combat system are more obvious if you are a souls Veteran.
Sounds good. Also, im not a Souls veteran, I guess that helps as well then.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Only frustrating in the loading sense. On the Pro a 20 second load time after a death seemed common in the opening level (playing on Grand Master currently). Will report back once I've progressed a bit further into the story.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
This all kind of depends on your perspective. It's a different beast altogether than TFU. TFU was basically a character action game that made you feel like an insanely powerful badass. This is a more exploration heavy game with more thoughtful and deliberate combat. Very Sekiro-like, if you're familar.

In terms of difficulty, there are four setttings so you should be able to find something to suit your style. Onthe high difficulty, you can get killed in just a couple hits, but enemies don't tend to have that much life either. So it depends on if that's your kind of thing or not.

TrubbleFrog

Feb 23, 2018

If you like Star Wars and are capable of playing soulsborne games, you'll have a good time. I consider myself less-than-stellar at Dark Souls and I feel like I'm having a difficult, but fair time on bosses on the 3/4 hardest difficulty.

The force powers don't seem to be at the scale of Force Unleashed (yet), but they do feel good relative to the gameplay.

So, haven't played yet today, but thinking back to last night, am I right in remembering that if you Force Slow an enemy, then hit them, it cancels the Force Slow (or lowers it's duration) on certain enemies? Or did I imagine that?

That's been my experience so far as well.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Quite liking the game so far (at early Zeffo). Can't seem to nail the parry window though, feel like the wind up/attack animation is sort of arbitrary compared to something like Sekiro. This game really reminds me of the latest Tomb Raider in structure, in the way the exploration/pathing is done, and the general feel of the gameplay.

yeah, it is straight up lifted from Tomb Raider

also, i can´t understand the "Metroidvania" comparisons at all..

is Rise of the Tomb Raider also a Metroidvania only because you get 2 or 3 powers that you can use somewhere? Jedi is not a Metroidvania at all, it has a few moments where you return to a planet to go another way with a power you hadn´t before(which are marked on the map too!) and the rest is completely optional and leads mostly to cosmetics...the Metroidvania inspiration is super light at best and the term is misused in this case.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
For people struggling on first optional boss:

I see people doing him at the start from the side entrance. Go to the main mission first and on the way back you can jump ontop of him and do massive damage to start off with. And you'll have a level or 2 more and I think healing as well. Also you can block/parry the normal attacks

Just noticed this with streamers doing this a lot.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Desktop-Screenshot-2019-11-15-17-35-20-02-2.png

Ok this game is real pretty

Looks like concept art

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
How far in are you? I'm finding the performance to be a lot better after getting out of the dreadful first planet.

The "Inquisitors" are kind of a black ops unit specialized in hunting Jedi that are not exactly important enough for Vader to hunt personally. They are former Jedi themselves and play a rather large role in the new EU.
They were founded by Sheev and later given to Vader, who hated and disrespected them at first but later came to tolerate them and use them as his enforcers basically.

Oct 27, 2017
As I much as I love the game, I've put it down for now in hopes that a big patch drops in the next week or so. The performance issues on the base PS4 are just too much for me, and I don't want them to ruin an amazing game.
This is kinda where I am on this, I'm considering going back to delivering packages until this is fixed. How was this play-tested?

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Well I tried renting the game at a Redbox, but the stupid thing kept saying my card "wasn't authorized for games." Whatever the fuck that means. I guess I'm not playing it any time soon. Lame.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Can I go back to the Windswept Ruins? The one with the balls and destructible walls.

I missed a few things and the elevator just boosted me up to the surface.

For people struggling on first optional boss:

I see people doing him at the start from the side entrance. Go to the main mission first and on the way back you can jump ontop of him and do massive damage to start off with. And you'll have a level or 2 more and I think healing as well. Also you can block/parry the normal attacks

It becomes easy if you fight it on your way back to the ship. You have healings and other skills. On the first encounter it's almost impossible, but I think it should be doable.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Lol froggie boss kicking my ass. Jeez.

It's optional to take it on from the very start. It's not worth it other than bragging rights. Just finish the first area and you'll get something that will make it much easier on your way back to it.

The clue is to dodge him, not jump (don't press A if you're on Xbox). That and learn the timing of his attack, one of his red-glowing moves are slightly delayed which may mess you up a few times.

The camera is the main issue, and the other is the animations, or lack thereof. It kind of just rocket propels itself into you nearly instantly at times. Pray if it knocks you into a wall while you're trying to recover during a double attack...

I actually noticed you could even do that after already killing it.

yeah, it is straight up lifted from Tomb Raider

also, i can´t understand the "Metroidvania" comparisons at all..

is Rise of the Tomb Raider also a Metroidvania only because you get 2 or 3 powers that you can use somewhere? Jedi is not a Metroidvania at all, it has a few moments where you return to a planet to go another way with a power you hadn´t before(which are marked on the map too!) and the rest is completely optional and leads mostly to cosmetics...the Metroidvania inspiration is super light at best and the term is misused in this case.

Yeah, it's not really a Metroidvania in the sense that you actually are rewarded for backtracking. Unless cosmetics are what you are longing for 95% of the time...

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had any real performance issues on X in non-performance mode. Performance mode felt inconsistent and the visual clarity was WAY lower thoough, I prefer the solid 30.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Only frustrating in the loading sense. On the Pro a 20 second load time after a death seemed common in the opening level (playing on Grand Master currently). Will report back once I've progressed a bit further into the story.
Ah, looking forward to hearing more then!
This all kind of depends on your perspective. It's a different beast altogether than TFU. TFU was basically a character action game that made you feel like an insanely powerful badass. This is a more exploration heavy game with more thoughtful and deliberate combat. Very Sekiro-like, if you're familar.

In terms of difficulty, there are four setttings so you should be able to find something to suit your style. Onthe high difficulty, you can get killed in just a couple hits, but enemies don't tend to have that much life either. So it depends on if that's your kind of thing or not.
Havent played much of BB/DS/Sekiro, but I usually choose higher difficulties in third person combat heavy games, and enjoy the challenge. My worry with this game would be that you would have to resort to cheesy tactics in order to make it through higher difficulties, and therefore compromise on what makes jedi's cool in the first place. I would like to rely more on parrying and counter attacks as oppossed to spam rolling, but maybe the counter timing windows are so small on the higher difficulties and enemy attacks so damaging that it becomes suboptimal to play that way, which would suck. It would be super unbecoming for a Jedi knight to roll around non stop, trying to avoid attacks, or fleeing from combat every other sec to regen or something like that.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, looking forward to hearing more then!

Havent played much of BB/DS/Sekiro, but I usually choose higher difficulties in third person combat heavy games, and enjoy the challenge. My worry with this game would be that you would have to resort to cheesy tactics in order to make it through higher difficulties, and therefore compromise on what makes jedi's cool in the first place. I would like to rely more on parrying and counter attacks as oppossed to spam rolling, but maybe the counter timing windows are so small on the higher difficulties and enemy attacks so damaging that it becomse suboptimal to play that way, which would suck. It would be super unbecoming for a Jedi knight to roll around non stop, trying to avoid attacks, or fleeing from combat every other sec to regen or something like that.

The counter timing is super lenient even on Jedi Master IMO, only Grandmaster requires some more precise timing, more close to Sekiro.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by the all the negative comments in here. Is it that bad? Gonna have to hold off on picking it up I think.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caved and got Origin Premiere for this.
Had planned to play this in 3 weeks or when the wife and kids are out for a night BUT WHAT THE HECK.
You are only young once!

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Me after the Tutorial and first Planet: That's a nice game, I kinda like it but it's not too great.

Me after the second Planet: OMG I didn't have this kind of fun since Sands of Time, this will be a tough fight with Sekiro for GotY.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Any patches yet? all the crashes really put me off continuing
What crash? I've never had one on PC (Steam). I'm only 6 hours in though.

Me after the Tutorial and first Planet: That's a nice game, I kinda like it!

Me after the second Planet: OMG I didn't have this kind of fun since Sands of Time, this will be a tough fight with Sekiro for GotY.
Yup, this is definitely a GOTY contender for me too.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Really a bummer this doesn't have dismemberment for stormtroopers, making the close up executions and combat against them kind of weightless and silly. Both Force Unleashed games had it *shrug*

Hell Last Jedi had tons of it too.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I'm surprised by the all the negative responses in here. Is it that bad? Gonna have to hold off on picking it up I think.

It's good. It has a certain jank to its combat but honestly, it's mostly obvious in direct comparison to souls/sekiro/bloodborne.
That doesn't mean the problems with the combat aren't there, but if you are not experienced with souls games as a direct comparison, you would probably shrug them off more easily and not really think about it.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good. It has a certain jank to its combat but honestly, it's mostly obvious in direct comparison to souls/sekiro/bloodborne.
That doesn't mean the problems with the combat aren't there, but if you are not experienced with souls games as a direct comparison, you would probably shrug them off more easily and not really think about it.
Soulskiroborne combat has truly ruined the combat in other games for us all

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
The camera is the main issue, and the other is the animations, or lack thereof. It kind of just rocket propels itself into you nearly instantly at times. Pray if it knocks you into a wall while you're trying to recover during a double attack...
Yeah that's actually happening to me constantly. Then even dodging won't help. But I killed it eventually.