• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
went back to find her in issue 19, and there she is

6mpkcUc.jpg

There's something kind of hilarious about the inquisitors just... hanging out

none of them seem to be having a good time and that's great

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Won't lie that trailed got me really interested. Yeah, it's generic Star Wars stuff, but I love that though. And yeah, the protagonist looks bland but...honestly I actually really like him and his voice actor. So as far as 2 minute no gameplay trailers go this was an A+ for me.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm far back enough in the comments to safely point out that being whelmed and overwhelmed are functionally very similar. To be whelmed is to be covered and engulfed by something. Overwhelmed builds on that idea, but is basically the same. Underwhelmed is a kind of anti-offshoot created from "over"whelmed, but at least it's not a word that already has meaning. So, we use whelmed in common language as a "I'm not over or under - whelmed", but this ignores the actual meaning of the... Hello? Is anyone still -
lmao

Yeah, Jedi Academy, but even that game had a white male lead as default if I remember right (Jaden Korr).

But at least they let you select different characters.
wasn't jaden an npc, like a buddy in the academy? it's been a while tho. i wanna say the player's name was left to them.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Honestly it's weird this one survived cancellation when the others that looked much more interesting didn't
Also find it unfortunate, but hopefully it will be better than no sp SW game at all.

I used to find SW exciting in many different ways, including games like Tie Fighter, KOTOR, Jedi Knight, pod racer, Battlegrounds and Rogue Squadron. Episodes 1-3 were also nice in the sense of enriching the lore and bringing games alongside, some that were actually trying new grounds.

But this Disney-EA era feels just safe and bland overall, and honestly the new Respawn game just fits the vibe of the recent movies for me: serviceble. Maybe the gameplay will prove me wrong though...

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yup it sucks. The Star Wars fanbase just got so dang toxic since the Last Jedi. Heck all the details we got about this game make it seem like it should be an Era darling. Instead we got a gaming side filled with salty star wars fans.
Details. Nothing really given as proof of concept bar some dot points. The games coming out at the end of the year, shit should be locked in at least enough to showcase gameplay and what it will play like.

Story is nice, but gameplay is what I Wi be playing and want to see.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Why? Sometimes a game just wants to tell a story and you're just along for the ride. Not every game has to be Skyrim! Or do you want The Last of Us to ditch its preset characters too in favor of blank slate character creations? Nah, there's room for both types of games.
Well considering my option as a minority is limited and they don't want commit to do a different looking protagonist, yes I'd rather have that option anytime

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Underwhelming, kinda cheesy trailer. It just didn't feel like Star Wars to me, nor what I wanted from the game.

However, it's just a trailer, and may not be super representative to the tone and style of the game overall. Looking forward to seeing gameplay.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
Cmon Respawn. It's been an eternity since we've had a decent Star Wars single player game, and you choose to have no gameplay in the reveal.

You should know better, this trailer was a waste of everyone's time, and it probably cost you a shitload to make.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have see these "in game engine" trailers many times . Doesn't inspire any confidence. This will probably be a really bad game like anything post Disney SW.

Oct 26, 2017
Also find it unfortunate, but hopefully it will be better than no sp SW game at all.

I used to find SW exciting in many different ways, including games like Tie Fighter, KOTOR, Jedi Knight, pod racer, Battlegrounds and Rogue Squadron. Episodes 1-3 were also nice in the sense of enriching the lore and bringing games alongside, some that were actually trying new grounds.

But this Disney-EA era feels just safe and bland overall, and honestly the new Respawn game just fits the vibe of the recent movies for me: serviceble. Maybe the gameplay will prove me wrong though...

Same! SW games used to be pretty diverse and interesting. The problem is EA, I guess.
fwiw I thought Titanfall 2's SP was stellar so there's hope.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike Mass Effect this isn't a role playing game. Also unlike Mass Effect are all the sequences performance captured by an actor. It's like asking Last of us to have a customizable protagonist.
sorry but, jedi academy already set the standard

it features:
  • The player's character, Jaden, is customizable and players have the option of being male or female of different species including a Twi'lek female, Kel Dor male, Zabrak female or Rodian male (as well as Human of either gender). You can also choose from several lightsaber hilts and blade and clothes colors (Skin Color For the Twi'lek).
  • Halfway through the game, players can choose to wield one lightsaber, two lightsabers, or a double-bladed lightsaber. The latter two can both be wielded as single blades; The player can select to ignite only one of the two blades interchanging between one and two whenever they wish.
it's an action game

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Can someone tell me what's so generic about a jedi padawan who escaped Order 66? Is that a story we've played 100 times over?

Oh that's right, it isn't. We're just judging the character on his skin colour and not his premise.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's something kind of hilarious about the inquisitors just... hanging out

none of them seem to be having a good time and that's great
It is pretty fitting knowing their history etc. Basically turned on their fellow jedi to save their own skin and while a few probably enjoy the corruption of the dark side the rest are probably miserable shits

Rotimi

Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
disappointed is an understatement, generic as generic can be honestly. I have my fears that the game-play will be shallow, not expecting DMC but feel if they had something unique the will show it. lets wait and see more but for now hype has sunk to the bottom of the ocean

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trailer did nothing for me. Even from a presentation perspective it looked a bit wonky. And considering these are the fancy cinematics, that doesn't bode well for the actual gameplay. But I'll keep an eye on it. Who knows, it could end up good. I kinda preferred the look of what 1313 was doing if I'm being entirely honest.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
My bad, almost forgot about Battlefront but even then why they didn't just bring their customisation to this game? Would've gotten rid of some of the criticism about representation

Personally I'm glad they didn't. Customized protagonists tend to kill my investment in them. I prefer to just be told a story rather than "being" the story if that makes sense. I like defined characters because I feel like I can get really attached to them, I can't get attached to say Shepard or the Dragon Age Origins protag because of that.

I do understand that it goes the other way for some people though and that they get more invested in the character if they can customize them, so I'd have understood if they went that route. I was kind of expecting them to have a customizable protagonist to be honest.

Oct 26, 2017
Overall, it will be interesting to see how the gameplay looks.

Hope the platforming and puzzles are better than standard AAA stuff.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trailer did nothing for me. Even from a presentation perspective it looked a bit wonky. And considering these are the fancy cinematics, that doesn't bode well for the actual gameplay. But I'll keep an eye on it. Who knows, it could end up good. I kinda preferred the look of what 1313 was doing if I'm being entirely honest.
Kind of? Definitely did over here.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Not even mad at the white male MC, but him being a teenager is bumming me out. I've outgrown most anime due to MCs being all teens or tweens, getting the same vibe here. Plus it might be my "old person yell at cloud" thing, but I found him a bit obnoxious too (the voice maybe?)....

Rotimi

Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria

Glad am not the only one who noticed. Also there were two sections the animations looked off. It makes me worried about the gameplay honestly

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks awesome and am hyped. My number 2 most wanted game after Mario Maker 2 for the year.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me what's so generic about a jedi padawan who escaped Order 66? Is that a story we've played 100 times over?

Oh that's right, it isn't. We're just judging the character on his skin colour and not his premise.

It sort of is, sort of isn't. In terms of wider Star Wars media it is pretty much the generic backstory for Jedi (kinda has to be), from Kanan Jarrus in current canon to much of the side cast in The Force Unleashed, though it hasn't tended to be directly played so much - usually when when it crops up in games it's, as touched on with Force Unleashed, something for other characters as opposed to your own.

So in that respect, Cal's story is in a bit of a limbo - we have seen it before, but we've not usually been at the controls for it. So there is a novelty in the premise for the medium, but it is one that has been very commonly depicted elsewhere with oft-male, oft-white characters.

Cy-Kill

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Denying the existence of systemic prejudice; account still in junior phase
This is factually incorrect. Racism is discrimination based on skin color. The idea that it is systematic pretends that no poc can be rasicist or discriminatory in any way. Again wrong. Sexism is based on gender. So you absolutely can be discriminated against for being make. Sorry to break it to you.

Oct 31, 2017
Create a character would have been so much better. At least make him/her an alien.. something, anything else.. we've done this so many times before. It's not like this is the height of storytelling anyway. The trailer is full of shitty cliches/generic dialogue, so the "predefined characters work better for the story" argument doesn't really matter IMO.

I think every Jedi video game ever has had a white male lead?

Exactly. Ironically, one of the actual heights of all of video game storytelling was Kotor facilitated by its create a character design.

Honestly, I probably never enjoyed Star Wars more than playing my own character submerged in the galaxy far far away.

I thought create a character would be damn near ubiquitous is games at this point, but unfortunately not

Even the none-Jedi Star Wars games were white dudes, right? I remember that scruffy white dude on those N64 games wasn't a Jedi. The only poc main character in a SW game I can think of is Iden Versio in the Battlefront 2 single player campaign