• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
This Novemeber? Hell yeah can't wait. Getting maximum value from the EA premiere.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
1. This is Star Wars.
2. This is 2019.
3. Even the films, traditionally more conservative, have more diversity than this game regarding its protagonist.

We've had 30 million games with white, straight protagonists. And, Star Wars is about inclusivity. To make a big, new STAR WARS game in 2019 and have it star as a White, Male dude is pretty much a bummer. Why couldn't they be a female? Why couldn't they be a person of color? Hell, why not an alien? Why not make them customizable?

It's a bummer.
because they wanted to go with Cameron Monaghan and base a character around him.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
If the setting and scenario aren't particularly original, you really need to show off some gameplay. I've barely consumed any Star Wars stuff over the last 15 years and everything about this still felt extremely familiar.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Visceral's Ragtag also had a white male protagonist - but he was actually gritty and interesting. Tbf it was too interesting for EA/Lucasfilm and they cancelled it though...
g10xbsnyzlhoxm0k9bwd.png
Is that a walking Manatee? Oh come on EA, why did you pull the plug

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
lol that first page is exactly what i expected from ERA

Anything white male = trash

come the fuck on

It's not about him being a white man. It's about the character in the trailer not standing out with anything from 1000 other game characters looking pretty much the same. It doesn't even capture the actor to well with it's very cartoons look. And the animations looked kind of stiff.

Hopefully the gameplay will look better.

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling, history of similar behaviour
ewwwww
a white protag, in 2019?
Y I K E S

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't liked the trailer because...it shows nothing

Nothing about the atory, gameplay, what happens...it is a boring trailer

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
It's extremely worrisome that they'd put a release date on it that's this close and not have any gameplay to show. We've been through this song and dance before.

Oct 25, 2017
I came in excited for this game, and I'm very disappointed with this

Gameplay is clearly what matters in a jedi game. I can't get excited from a generic trailer with dark, sterile environments in a franchise that can clearly do better.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I guess Stig really liked Man of Steel or something? I hope Not Kyle Katarn's dad or legal guardian dies in as memetacular a way like Pa Kent did with the tornado he chose to walk into. Maybe they walk into a Force Tornado? Or a Tattooine sand storm?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Because they already had Iden Versio in BF2?

Well, fuck me then. Pack it up folks. We don't need anymore female protagonists. They already got the integral and oh so important Iden Versio.

By the way, Lucasfilm could you please go back in time and destroy Rogue One from being made. I mean, females already got Rey with The Force Awakens, how dare you make the protagonist of Rogue One, Jyn Erso, a female?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
This is on UE4 rather than Frostbite, right? I had to give up on Battlefront 2's SP campaign because of game-crashing bugs that were never fixed. I know these sort of things aren't entirely or even slightly the fault of the engine, but I'd feel more comfortable splitting an Origin Access sub with a mate for release-day access knowing that it's at least theoretically less likely to come apart at the technological seams.

Edit: Answered. :)

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WAYNm1c.png

I think he's got a pretty solid worker like design. Reminds me of Issac from deadspace in a weird way. I think the design is good, it's just that from what they showed he hasn't displayed much of a personality.

Some of these takes on ERA about him are a little cringey tho.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Well, fuck me then. Pack it up folks. We don't need anymore female protagonists. They already got the integral and oh so important Iden Versio.

By the way, Lucasfilm could you please go back in time and destroy Rogue One from being made. I mean, females already got Rey with The Force Awakens, how dare you make the protagonist of Rogue One, Jyn Erso, a female?
they don't need to have a justification for having a PoC protagonist regardless of other games

they also don't need to justify having a white male protagonist

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Who cares what the main characters race/gender is, as long as the personality is interesting. Might still turn out to be uninteresting but as of now we dont know.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Will hold judgement until I see gameplay, trailer was nice though. EA definitely trying to get that star wars buzz afhter the movie trailer dropping yesterday.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Yeah, but it was hot garbo, lol.

I mean, Visceral's Ragtag also had a white male protagonist - but he was actually gritty and interesting. Tbf it was too interesting for EA/Lucasfilm and they cancelled it though...
g10xbsnyzlhoxm0k9bwd.png

Wish I got this game instead. Not even about the lead being white he just looks uninteresting whereas this lead for the canceled game doesnt. Hell I'm one of the biggest XB2 fanboy on this site and love Rex and Shulk to death.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
While I'm somewhat disappointed in the protagonist being a white guy, it is worth noting how rare that is for Star Wars these days. The sequel trilogy, Rebels, Rogue One, Battlefront II, all of those had diverse leads. Even the comics have break-out characters like Doctor Aphra. I can kinda let it slide for this one, especially considering his mentor character is a Jedi Knight who happens to be a black woman.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not about him being a white man. It's about the character in the trailer not standing out with anything from 1000 other game characters looking pretty much the same. It doesn't even capture the actor to well with it's very cartoons look. And the animations looked kind of stiff.

Hopefully the gameplay will look better.
I'd say a babyfaced male protagonist is actually kind of unique. Not that I really like it, but it stands out