• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
It's impossible not to compare to The Force Unleashed, and saying that, seems wonky and uninspired.

Maybe that games, especially the first one, were more fast and dramatic in comparison, but this... well, let's see if this intimate and timed approach will be good or bad for the game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm all for story driven linear experiences done well. This looks like game one in the tomb raider reboot.
It doesn't look that bad to me, and the tone of dialogue and given who the writer and director is, suggests the larger picture of the game will deliver I think. It had a somewhat saturday morning cartoon sort of tone which fits in neatly with the fact that the scenario writer is from the Clone Wars show. It was just a sparse demo. Even if the game is ultimately a little monotonous in gameplay I expect a decent adventure from it, better than Tomb Raider Reboot because Crystal Dynamics did not grasp making a game with a writer and frankly, it just wasn't well sewn together. To me it looks like this will be.

There's a slight amount of jank tied to the running animation and stuff. Also some dumb looking faces in the trailer and that wookie in the gameplay. Several former Mass Effect Andromeda developers were moved over to this project. I point towards that but I also liked Andromeda, so I'll be content whatever this is.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Although the whole demo was boring but i see potential here.

I feel they should have shown something bombastic rather than Corridor fighting.

Saber is lacking that X factor i feel though i has potential like GOW Axe.

SP game yay

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
After playing that other linear action game from this year, nothing in that video did anything for me.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the GI article paints a completely different picture, including Metroidvania style huge open levels.

Preview words are just as valid and relevant as preview videos. But clearly no one wants to read.
agreed, but we live in the age of video, way more people will see the footage, than read the article.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, no. The exploration was "staged" it had dialogue from the main "oh you open a shortcut". The level was very linear. Maybe the finished product will have DS exploration, this demo? Didn't much. And that is not a bad thing. The game is fine.
I'm not talking about the demo. Which only showed off 13 mins of a level.

Mar 29, 2018
Maybe consumers have learned not to trust the words that come out of EA dev's mouths? Not to throw Respawn under the bus but they are still owned by EA and subject to the whims of management.

Although I suppose we cant trust their reveal videos either at this point.
Huh? The Game Informer article is written by a journalist who literally played the game for 30 minutes (later than the video in game). It's not marketing material written by EA. (Although obviously it's going to be positive to incentivise people to keep buying magazines and getting hype.)

Hmmm, no. The exploration was "staged" it had dialogue from the main "oh you open a shortcut". The level was very linear. Maybe the finished product will have DS exploration, this demo? Didn't much. And that is not a bad thing. The game is fine.
The GI article describes non linear levels and exploration.

The game doesn't even have waypoints.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Game looks fine...

But the fact dismemberment looks precanned and sometimes it looks like you are just hitting them with a baseball bat and not a lightsaber is dissapointing
Yeah I need that Metal Gear Rising style slicing action.

I want to hack stuff and/or people into smoking scraps, OK? Let me live my fantasy.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Looks like Uncharted Star Wars. Movement looks very floaty, combat looks mashy, no real rpg elements.

I'm not as excited about it anymore.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
By the way, is it my imagination or did the demo use a Stadia controller? The bumper icon matches up with how Stadia's bumper looks as well as the directional pad looked dissimilar to Xbox One controller's. Stadia's controller has all same face button as xbox one controller's as well.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
You can tell Souls was an inspiration, as someone that dislikes those type of games, i'm losing interest.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well I am starting to feel redundancy if every EA game is using Frostbite and everything looks the same from sport games to BF to Star Wars to even Plants Vs Zombies. I am almost looking at Anthem right now.
I never miss the opportunity to dunk on misinformed posts about game engines. Please read the following words
-This is not a Frostbite game

-Engines=/=art direction

Also wtf is your post?
37875301575_cf0008637b_o.png

madden-nfl-18-screen-2_1503745465.jpg

pMTRroH.jpg

rendition1.img.jpg

Last edited:

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Wow, I'm shocked how dull this showing was. They really just remade Force Unleashed in somewhat decent graphics.

That lightsaber doesn't look great either.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
This is what Respawn's talents are being put towards?

Do we really need another 3rd person cinematic action adventure game?

Looks unimpressive as well from everything they showed, not even like it was doing something really well or innovative.

Mar 29, 2018
From the video? If you say that your base is metroidvanias then show a linear demo.. people are going to believe what they are seeing.

If the Microsoft demo tomorrow is better, great.
It just feels like people have goldfish memories or, maybe worse, can't read. The GI article literally released in the last couple of hours describes over 30 minutes of gameplay which sounds precisely what everyone here was clearly hankering for. But no one wants to read, so it's ignored.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is literally more braindead because the player is hilariously overpowered.

I should point out that the player was very clearly making deliberate decisions in order to showcase the moveset.

ND's own account stated that the 2012 TLOU demo wasn't scripted or choreographed either so maybe don't take their word so literally when it comes to demos of unfinished games a year or sometimes even longer from release? By their very nature a demo like that has to be scripted and will have multiple moments where although there's a guy holding the controller making it look real, it's not.

The examples GIF's you gave are literally within the game itself, so if they went to the effort to make them real time contextual mechanics for the game, why would they be scripted for the demo? And how have you exactly concluded it was scripted? Do you have a source for this claim or have you literally just assumed it?

Also, the E3 UC4 stage demo literally started with the character going into idling animation on screen for 30 seconds due to the dualshock 4 not being connected properly. Whilst others may fake it, ND clearly did not. You can't use an example of another studio faking it as evidence or proof that ND did, that's ridiculous.

On a side note, throughout the years I've seen you post countless PC screenshots you've captured yourself in numerous debates (eg to defend multiplatform games, Assassin's Creed etc), but I've not seen you do the same thing for PS4 exclusives that you seem to be routinely debating or berating. You clearly don't even realise that many of the things you claim are faked or scripted are in some of the games you're discussing, so I have to ask, do you actually own a PS4 and have you ever actually played UC4? Or do you just base your opinions off random YT clips of other people's play throughs, because that's what it seems like you do based on the inaccuracies of some of your points and posts, since anyone who'd actually played these games would have most likely experienced these different so called 'scripted' animations in their subsequent play throughs, potentially multiple times in different areas and locations, not in a scripted manner, but fully contextually.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I will be shocked if EA ditches their own engine to use UE4 instead.

Well I will watch again very well and check on big screen.. The moment I saw character models, I was surprised that some didn't even look as good as Anthem especially the famous celebrities. This didn't give them any justice.
I mean it's not a hypothetical, the game is on UE4.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Looked alright to me, not sure what people were expecting from a linear SW action game. That said anytime I see third person SW it just makes me want KOTOR 3 or Jedi Knight 4. Bring Katarn back you cowards.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
There are glimpses of really awesome things here, but nothing really seems to come together. Until I see more that seals the deal, it might mean not picking it up until it's cheap.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? The Game Informer article is written by a journalist who literally played the game for 30 minutes (later than the video in game). It's not marketing material written by EA. (Although obviously it's going to be positive to incentivise people to keep buying magazines and getting hype.)
If true I hope they show the more interesting parts of the game during E3 then.

Mar 29, 2018
If true I hope they show the more interesting parts of the game during E3 then.
It is true for FS.

On the front page of this bloody website is a link to a several thousand word article which gives about a hundred times more information than this video. About the whole game, not one tiny snippet.

It would take you about three clicks to get to that article from these words and a few minutes to read it then you'll have a much better sense of what is in this entire game rather than what is in 13 minutes of linear gameplay made to show off how shiny it all is.

Why does everything have to be shown off in a video for god's sake? The majority of the most valuable information is in articles

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I'm glad I don't live in your world, damn. I thought it was thrilling from start to finish. I played it many times.

The only bland thing about it is some of the environments.
I never played it, I just once saw a 3 minute gameplay trailer and just dismissed it as bland, boring, meh and underwhelming without giving it a proper chance.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just feels like people have goldfish memories or, maybe worse, can't read. The GI article literally released in the last couple of hours describes over 30 minutes of gameplay which sounds precisely what everyone here was clearly hankering for. But no one wants to read, so it's ignored.

I've already read it. So what? I'm not going to believe that when I can see gameplay right now. Not my problem if they are demoing one thing and showing something else closed doors.