• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
After the combat in God of War, it's hard to get excited about the combat shown in this gameplay footage. It needs a combat hook.

It also seemed like the person playing this demo wasn't very good at the game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So uninteresting sadly,
its Force Unleashed but less over the top.

I mean Force Unleashed is fine but after all the time from EA, and Respawn making it
I expected way more.
This is like the EXACT opposite spectrum of the force unleashed, because it actually feels like SW:
7abg16d.gif

vs.
ZQSp4jF.gif

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Not bad but it doesn't look very interesting. Maybe the skill points will offer some cool shit. Also doesn't help they demo'ed Storm Trooper fodder and fucking big spiders! Animations aren't looking to hot either. His run and double jump look stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks fine...

But the fact dismemberment looks precanned and sometimes it looks like you are just hitting them with a baseball bat and not a lightsaber is dissapointing

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
I think the problem is it is hard to make 3rd person melee games look entertaining, you have to experience them.

Personally, watching Dark Souls and DMC is boring, but not to play.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Game looks amazing: those calling it basic aren't seekng the Sekiro style posture meter, deep parry/combo systems on display and options with force use.

Verticality, lore scanning, wall running and deep storytelling arcs on show; how is this generic...God damn I'm sick of everyone tossing generic about like it's the bane/cure to all their armchair dev ills.

It looks like they threw Uncharted and Dark Souls into a blender with a metroidvania base. It just looks basic and AAA as hell even down to the experience bar which means there's also RPG mechanics. And even without that, it just doesn't look good. The combat looks like it lacks any weight and the animations don't look good either.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Looks nice enough for me. If it doesn't have any mtx bullshit it's a day one for me.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I want the spectacle in the movies lol. I'm fine with the games being different. Isn't KotoR one of the most beloved SW games? Does it have much spectacle in it, or is it beloved because of its great role-playing gameplay and solid writing?
Kotor had plenty of spectacle. Force powers that lit up the screen. Lightsabers of all kinds. Dual weidling. Force users jumping and flipping around. Combat encounters that actually posed a challenge ;P

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
Even as a huge Star Wars fan I have to say Fallen Order looks meh. Maybe the next gameplay footage will show something less boring.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Looks promising .
The characters animations is great but made me appreciate ND more

A 2016 game.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles

New games should be improving on previous games, not going backwards.

Fun fact, not sure most people know this. But this game is in fact not using the engine Force Unleashed uses, and literally everything you see is made from scratch by a new team. No photoscanning was used either, all hand crafted.

So it's not the 20th game using this engine and tools, it's #1. Things will only get smoother!

Looks promising .
The characters animations is great but made me appreciate ND more

A 2016 game.

A 2016 game using their own custom engine that they been developing for 20 years. Really impressive stuff they have over at Naughty dog!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I mean....they signed off on that brutal throne room scene
*gloriously brutal gifs*

Yea, this was a strange one insofar as the games are concerned given (IIRC) Jedi Knight games allowed for it. TFU also does not dismemberment- and that game was completely over the top.

Perhaps Disney wanted to continue on that path to get T rating from ESRB.

Personally, I feel like it nerfs how deadly the weapon actually is according to their depiction in other mediums.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
They're scripted in the demos. You should read the text.

The animation in the demo showcased here today literally looks better than the animation in force unleashed. The smear effect on the lightsabers and motion blur did a good job of the weird poses. Plus you're comparing a demo where the player likely has god mode and the difficulty turned down to a full game.

Hell just the gameplay options shown today showed more depth and options at the player's disposal than in Force Unleashed. Like with the grab mechanic we've seen the player execute:
NdTQvL5.gif

use it to block a blaster bolt:
fZu1PDD.gif

and knock an enemy into another:
oiTunf1.gif

That last gif is also a good showcase of the mix between input response and good animation blending.
That canned grab animation doesn't hold a candle to the dynamic force mechanics in FU.

1560020726262576.gif

15600207911120676.gif

15600208651120634.gif

They made a point of the "skilled player" playing the demo, so I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt in terms of AI. My first gif shows troopers dodging attacks and holding on to each other. They also grabbed on to the environment. Compare that against:

D6IsQHh.gif

Overall, I just expected much better from a billion dollar franchise.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
this looks.... boring & uninspired

they took a generic action game from the 2000s and added some star wars elements to it

should have made it more like assassin's creed tbh

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I think it looks pretty solid, not sure if solid is enough to get me buy it without a discount. I specially dont like how the protag looks like and some animations need work like the running one, it looks way to sloppy for a jedi.

Oct 27, 2017
Does the lightsaber, specifically the color, look off to anyone else? It looks kinda dull, almost like they did in some scenes in the OT DVDs (which was later fixed in the BluRays).

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I like what I saw, though it seems as if enemies just automatically know that you are nearby

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're scripted in the demos. You should read the text.

But they're not though. By ND's own account they play the same demo over and over again and record only the most eventful and cool looking play through, because all the different contextual non scripted elements, such as the examples you gave, which are mechanical and contextual based outcomes that exist in the final game, mean it's difficult for them to replicate the same thing every time, hence needing countless play throughs to get the coolest looking one to showcase.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
That canned grab animation doesn't hold a candle to the dynamic force mechanics in FU.

1560020726262576.gif

15600207911120676.gif

15600208651120634.gif

They made a point of the "skilled player" playing the demo, so I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt in terms of AI. My first gif shows troopers dodging attacks and holding on to each other. They also grabbed on to the environment. Compare that against:

D6IsQHh.gif

Overall, I just expected much better from a billion dollar franchise.

Fun fact, Respawn did not recieve near a billion dollars to make this title. Is actually a small team with limited resources

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Pretty disappointed with what I saw here. Look a bit like Uncharted with some unexciting lightsaber combat. That should be the selling factor of the game but it looks pretty stiff, slow and not that appealing.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even with low expectations, that looked quite dull. Dunno if it's just a poor choice for the vertical slice for demo purposes or if the game is just really gonna end up being that dull.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
But the fact dismemberment looks precanned and sometimes it looks like you are just hitting them with a baseball bat and not a lightsaber is dissapointing

Had this thought as well, especially after they came out and said a few days back that they wouldn't be treating the saber like a bat.

Gotta do what you gotta do for that T rating I suppose.

Since when has youtube likes/dislike ratio been a good indication of anything?

Remember when Infinite Warfare, one of the best SP shooters of the past decade, had its debut trailer come out to a record number of dislikes?

Alxjn

Nov 17, 2017
Are we really comparing a few low key encounters to one of Uncharted 4's most complex encounters. I think the beginning of Scotland would be a more apt comparison if you wanna do that.