• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Am I missing something?

Respawn: We want to do Jedi

LF: How about blasters and bounty hunters

Respawn: That's not the team we've built

220px-Titanfall_box_art.jpg
apex-featured-image-16x9.jpg.adapt.crop191x100.1200w.jpg

It was a splinter respawn team that made fallen order I believe. They were headed up by the ex dev (or lead) from the god of war games, so yeah...shooters weren't really in their wheelhouse

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
This is what you get for trying to make everything canon to each-other. These multi-media hydra franchise need to relax when a cultural shift is presented to their "universe".

I wish Lucasfilm would be as protective when it comes to their movies (*cough* TROS).

Their protectiveness is the reason why Star Wars is so creatively fractured.

Dec 20, 2017
I wonder how much of this is Lucasfilm specifically and Disney more broadly. Disney is inexplicably terrible when it comes to handling video games, in that they have access to the most lucrative media franchises in the world yet fail to almost ever make games out of them. I feel like the Disney terribleness with games rubbed off on them, considering how Star Wars was decent with games pre being bought out.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it just means I hate the extended canon which I haven't read or delved into. He was chopped in half. What were they thinking.

It was done in the The Clone Wars- a show that Lucas was personally heavily involved in. Which is why it was the one piece of "EU" content to survive the purge when Disney bought SW.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It was done in the The Clone Wars- a show that Lucas was personally heavily involved in. Which is why it was the one piece of "EU" content to survive the purge when Disney bought SW.
I also just remembered that Qui Gon didn't die by vanishing and his body was burned, so I realize every movie has subsequently "broken the implied rules" before.

Which still leaves me with LucasFilm: They have an iron grip sure, but what is it worth if they can't even be consistent themselves.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I guess it just means I hate the extended canon which I haven't read or delved into. He was chopped in half. What were they thinking.

They were thinking into making Maul into one of the best developed characters in the franchise. And they did.

Imagine the complete opposite of bringing Palpy back. As in actually working really well. That was Maul return.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You reminded me of this clip. Grievous is so smart.

Yeah, I have no complaints about this. If there was anyone pragmatic enough to utilize this tactic, it would be Grievous.

Yeah, he was brought back in Clone Wars, but he was in a really bad way after Obi Wan kicked his ass. Dude had a goddamn spider mech replacing his entire lower body before his kin fixed him up. Nobody's really complaining, though, apparently Clone Wars actually gave him a fuckton of depth that simply didn't exist in his debut.

He was gonna be brought back somehow anyway, the guy is way too popular to stay dead. The old EU had a famous tale (where the idea of the aforementioned spider legs came from) where he tracks down Obi Wan to Tatooine before A New Hope and fights him one last time.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I also just remembered that Qui Gon didn't die by vanishing and his body was burned, so I realize every movie has subsequently "broken the implied rules" before.

Which still leaves me with LucasFilm: They have an iron grip sure, but what is it worth if they can't even be consistent themselves.

Right but that's a George Lucas thing too. He was behind the whole "Qui-Gon was the first to become one with the force thing".

EDIT- basically it's just based on power heirarchy in Hollywood. Lucas could break the "rules" anytime he wanted because it was his franchise. Under Disney, the directors making the films can do whatever they want as well. It's the licensees (games, shows, comics, books) that have to get in line and can't break the rules.

That's why there as been so little EU content in the ST era until now. Lucasfilm knew the directors would never be beholden to decisions made by a comic book or game writer so they made pretty much the entire era off-limits to minimize the possibility that films would overwrite the new canon.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
They haven't earned that level of control after their hang-up sequel trilogy. The Jedi aren't sacred in those, they're out of control and can do anything their writers feel like they can. The moment when Qui Gon sat down to meditate while Darth Maul stood and waited with blood in his eyes in Phantom Menace is a better depiction of Jedi than any moment in the Sequel Trilogy, and I fully concede Phantom Menace isn't a good movie. But it got the core tenets if "Star Wars" right in terms of its history and lore.

Luke's force projection to reach a Non violent conclusion to his conflict with Kylo is.....nvm

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Working with Lucasfilm sounds like a fucking nightmare. Is there a term for preemptive brain drain?

I got the edition of the game that came with the "Making of" Documentary and it seemed pretty clear that Lucasfilm micromanaging and having to approve/tweak things probably led to the game not being as polished as it could have been (even if does feel more "Star Wars"). They basically had to have LucasFilm people come in and sign off on nearly everything. The story, characters, enemies, environments, objects in the universe, etc.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
EDIT- basically it's just based on power heirarchy in Hollywood. Lucas could break the "rules" anytime he wanted because it was his franchise. Under Disney, the directors making the films can do whatever they want as well. It's the licensees (games, shows, comics, books) that have to get in line and can't break the rules.
I know this so I guess to some point I'm being facetous but from a... moral POV for lack of a better term it's really stupid. There's a reason people say stuff like "corporate hacks"

Luke's force projection to reach a Non violent conclusion to his conflict with Kylo is.....nvm
Oh I'm not debating why he wants to do it. I'm just debating the "magic" of the force. When you have magic in stories you need to show their limitations and I just didn't buy this scene, because Luke is PLANETS away when he does it.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
It's so fucking stupid. Even the THEME PARK is canon.

Seriously...
It is?! Fucking hell.

I think they need to get over themselves and just let people make fun shit, even if there's inconsistencies, as long as it feels like Star Wars. Only the hardcore lore fans will be upset, but really, a lot of those guys are goddamn wankers anyway, and are also part of the contingent of fans who lost their shit over TLJ not because of its arguable actual faults but because it wasn't the story they wanted.
Yup. Worst part is, most people don't care whats canon outside of the movies. Sure the the super hardcore fans will complain but they complain about everything

& I thought the Fortnite stuff being canon was dumb.
Galaxy's Edge is one of the most immersive theme park destinations and is a monumental achievement in the theme park industry. Besides it being canon is more a push of the Imagineers than Lucasfilm. Disney is still trying to one up Universal ever since they built Harry Potter.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm not debating why he wants to do it. I'm just debating the "magic" of the force. When you have magic in stories you need to show their limitations and I just didn't buy this scene, because Luke is PLANETS away when he does it.

FWIW, Rian Johnson worked more closely with the Lucasfilm Story Group more than any other director in Disney SW. He even posted a video on twitter at TLJ"s release showing prior existence of "force telepathy" (or whatever you want to call it) in existing SW material to show that it wasn't a concept that he came up with.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
lol, the game is only the best Star Wars piece of media of the year. Good thing they let him do the work.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Their protectiveness is the reason why Star Wars is so creatively fractured.
Well, yeah that depends on what exactly we think they want to protect the SW brand from. The results aren't consistent (SW though never was to begin with) and we're left with a mixed bag. Personally I still like their approach more than anything we got during the prequel/EU era, since that was mostly questionable content, imo.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Gaming side's Star Wars takes are just as bad as EtcetEra's.
This thread has been good for a few laughs.

On topic, this doesn't really surprise me, and I think the collaboration between Respawn and Lucasfilm was in benefit to this game, as it's by far the most authentic Star Wars gaming experience I've ever had, and is definitely in my Top 3 Star Wars games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so fucking stupid. Even the THEME PARK is canon.

Seriously...
It is?! Fucking hell.

I think they need to get over themselves and just let people make fun shit, even if there's inconsistencies, as long as it feels like Star Wars. Only the hardcore lore fans will be upset, but really, a lot of those guys are goddamn wankers anyway, and are also part of the contingent of fans who lost their shit over TLJ not because of its arguable actual faults but because it wasn't the story they wanted.

Yup. Worst part is, most people don't care whats canon outside of the movies. Sure the the super hardcore fans will complain but they complain about everything

& I thought the Fortnite stuff being canon was dumb.
You know the moar you guys piss and moan about the everything being canon approach the happier I am they do it this way. Especially if your whining about something so innocuous. Yes Galaxy's Edge is "canon" in that it and it's attractions are said to have a variation in the Star Wars universe. Now please inform me of this particular information has negatively effected you besides the fact that it exists and that's bad for some reason?

Of course what do I know? I'm just someone who enjoys canon and that makes me terrible for some reason I guess. I complain about everything! Unlike you fine people who have done no complaining about Star Wars what so ever I'm sure.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We know KOTOR 3 was pitched a few times, not hard to see why it was rejected outright every single time now. Disney was the worst thing to happen to SW games.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
You know the moar you guys piss and moan about the everything being canon approach the happier I am they do it this way. Especially if your whining about something so innocuous. Yes Galaxy's Edge is "canon" in that it and it's attractions are said to have a variation in the Star Wars universe. Now please inform me of this particular information has negatively effected you besides the fact that it exists and that's bad for some reason?

Of course what do I know? I'm just someone who enjoys canon and that makes me terrible for some reason I guess. I complain about everything! Unlike you fine people who have done no complaining about Star Wars what so ever I'm sure.
Why are you taking that personally?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
FWIW, Rian Johnson worked more closely with the Lucasfilm Story Group more than any other director in Disney SW. He even posted a video on twitter at TLJ"s release showing prior existence of "force telepathy" (or whatever you want to call it) in existing SW material to show that it wasn't a concept that he came up with.
That's actually pretty cool.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
You really wanna go here? You really wanna throw your hat in with the people who say this kinda shit?

I'm just not trying to throw shit at her. Lucasfilm needs another leadership. The company needs someone that actually understands Star Wars and can make very good things to the franchise in many ways (Movies, TV Shows, Videogames, Cartoons, Toys, etc). Someone might say that she hasn't done a bad job, and maybe they are right, but we all know someone else could do a much better job.

Shifts in leadership position is not uncommon at all. IMO, it will be for the better of the franchise.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017

I enjoy the aspect of everything being canon.

Two of them insulted anyone who likes these things being canon.

Why am I not supposed to take it personally?

Of course feel free to ignore the rest of my post I guess.
I apologize for my comment. It wasn't directed at you or anyone specifically & was just me saying I that I personally think it's dumb that everything needs to be canon. The hardcore comment was targeted only at the "fans" who harass people over what they think Star Wars should be.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I apologize for my comment. It wasn't directed at you or anyone specifically & was just me saying I that I personally think it's dumb that everything needs to be canon. The hardcore comment was targeted only at the "fans" who harass people over what they think Star Wars should be.
That's fair. I hate people who harass anyone over something. I just find some of the reactions to Star Wars lately to be unnecessarily extreme at times. Galaxy's Edge just seems like harmless fun to me. And while it made developments difficult it still released to critical and financial acclaim.

I don't want to tell anyone there wrong if they dislike something but at the same time the extreme negativity can be tiring.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing something?

Respawn: We want to do Jedi

LF: How about blasters and bounty hunters

Respawn: That's not the team we've built

220px-Titanfall_box_art.jpg
apex-featured-image-16x9.jpg.adapt.crop191x100.1200w.jpg
Yeah. Respawn is a multi team studio. They hired Stig years ago to build and lead a seperate team within Respawn.
edit: missed earlier reply

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoy the aspect of everything being canon.

Two of them insulted anyone who likes these things being canon.

Why am I not supposed to take it personally?

Of course feel free to ignore the rest of my post I guess.
A lot of the new canon is pretty stupid and awful though.

I'm still not sure if I hate or hate-love Vader's stalker.
Darth-Vader-Nurse-is-Stalker-Harley-Quinn.jpg

I can't think of ANY universe I've ever enjoyed where sticking to one default canon has ever benefited a property in the long-run. There are a lot of reasons why that is.

You mean like the multiple well received shows, books, games, comics, and yes, movies, that they've already made?
For all the problems I have with the new movies (and games, until this year), the brand is doing fine with their animated shows, comics, the Mandalorian, and Battlefront 2's turn-around and Fallen Order prove that there is still good stuff outside of the ST's hiccups.

That doesn't mean I don't hate the "everything must be canon" approach. It's insanely restrictive and harshly limits the world of Star Wars. There's a reason you don't see the "everything must be canon" approach for something like Marvel outside of their films, even if the Disney+ shows tie-in. The cartoons, comics, shows, movies, and books are their own thing, often in their own universes, because boxing their characters into one specific "canon" very quickly becomes a mess. Comics learned long ago that mistakes happen, retcons and reboots are necessary, and alternate universe tales and "non-canon" material is often just as good or better than the mainline stuff.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. I hate people who harass anyone over something. I just find some of the reactions to Star Wars lately to be unnecessarily extreme at times. Galaxy's Edge just seems like harmless fun to me. And while it made developments difficult it still released to critical and financial acclaim.

I don't want to tell anyone there wrong if they dislike something but at the same time the extreme negativity can be tiring.
I doubt they are actually mad at Galaxy's Edge being canon.

A theme park being canon is way far down the list of problems with Star Wars

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the new canon is pretty stupid and awful though.

I'm still not sure if I hate or hate-love Vader's stalker.
Darth-Vader-Nurse-is-Stalker-Harley-Quinn.jpg

I can't think of ANY universe I've ever enjoyed where sticking to one default canon has ever benefited a property in the long-run. There are a lot of reasons why that is.

For all the problems I have with the new movies (and games, until this year), the brand is doing fine with their animated shows, comics, the Mandalorian, and Battlefront 2's turn-around and Fallen Order prove that there is still good stuff outside of the ST's hiccups.

That doesn't mean I don't hate the "everything must be canon" approach. It's insanely restrictive and harshly limits the world of Star Wars. There's a reason you don't see the "everything must be canon" approach for something like Marvel outside of their films, even if the Disney+ shows tie-in. The cartoons, comics, shows, movies, and books are their own thing, often in their own universes, because boxing their characters into one specific "canon" very quickly becomes a mess. Comics learned long ago that mistakes happen, retcons and reboots are necessary, and alternate universe tales and "non-canon" material is often just as good or better than the mainline stuff.
I feel like thats one benefit Marvel naturally had over Star Wars. Star Wars wants the mythology of something like Marvel but it can't commit to the things that allow the Marvel multiverse to function so well as a vehicle to tell stories.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Lucas shouldn't have sold Star Wars to Disney. If it were for Disney, games like KOTOR or Star Wars Racer wouldn't exist.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lucas shouldn't have sold Star Wars to Disney. If it were for Disney, games like KOTOR or Star Wars Racer wouldn't exist.
I love you guys using this as an excuse to shit on the Disney acquisition like stuff like the Mandalorion or Rebels didn't happen or that Fallen Order didn't release to critical and commercial acclaim.

There were nine years between KOTOR and the Disney buy out. Unless you liked the MMO you probably weren't getting your next KOTOR anyway.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But the sanctity of Star Wars games must be preserved!
tenor.gif

I love you guys using this as an excuse to shit on the Disney acquisition like stuff like the Mandalorion or Rebels didn't happen or that Fallen Order didn't release to critical and commercial acclaim.

There were nine years between KOTOR and the Disney buy out. Unless you liked the MMO you probably weren't getting your next KOTOR anyway.
We take the good with the bad. In 8 years we got a single good offline Star Wars game, and years were spent making Battlefront 2 the opposite of a literal international screw-up. Rebels, Clone Wars, and Mandalorian all share one big positive ingredient - Dave Filoni - and Disney was smart to keep him on-board.

When Disney got Star Wars, the possibilities were endless. We should be swimming in quality Star Wars games right now - not a good one every 8 years (and it's also SEVERALLY glitchy and undercooked, so I wish it hadn't been rushed to market...). Rebels was good, yeah, but I don't see anyone holding up Resistance as worth their time. The movies are their own beasts, of course, and the comics have been hit and miss for awhile (Vader and Aphra are great!... aforementioned stories about stalker girl or tie-in material about Captain Phasma's epic trash heap escape, less so).

Disney has done good stuff. Yes. They've also done bad stuff and wasted a metric tone of potential.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Star Wars is... a mixed bag. It has stuff that flies and stuff that sinks.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the sanctity of Star Wars games must be preserved!

We take the good with the bad. In 8 years we got a single good offline Star Wars game, and years were spent making Battlefront 2 the opposite of a literal international screw-up. Rebels, Clone Wars, and Mandalorian all share one big positive ingredient - Dave Filoni - and Disney was smart to keep him on-board.

When Disney got Star Wars, the possibilities were endless. We should be swimming in quality Star Wars games right now - not a good one every 8 years (and it's also SEVERALLY glitchy and undercooked, so I wish it hadn't been rushed to market...). Rebels was good, yeah, but I don't see anyone holding up Resistance as worth their time. The movies are their own beasts, of course, and the comics have been hit and miss for awhile (Vader and Aphra are great!... aforementioned stories about stalker girl or tie-in material about Captain Phasma's epic trash heap escape, less so).

Disney has done good stuff. Yes. They've also done bad stuff and wasted a metric tone of potential.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Star Wars is... a mixed bag. It has stuff that flies and stuff that sinks.
And through all that I don't see how the 'everything is canon' policy being removed will fix it.

Yeah there's good and bad stuff from a popular property? No shit. Not even getting into the subjective stuff like your feelings on the comics.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And that wouldn't happen if it wasn't all canon?

And what's "awful" exactly?
See above.

But that's my point. "Canon" doesn't make something better or worse, so putting such a heavy focus on "canon" over "quality" can indeed be detrimental. Is it truly better to make everything "canon", even if the new material sucks, instead of permitting a creative individual to go wild and make something like the next KOTOR or Crimson Empire or Genndy Tartakovsky's animated series?

Can you imagine what would happen if Marvel dictated that all their shows, comics, movies, cartoons, and games had to ascribe to one single canon? It would be a disaster and it would limit so many stories as to make some of the best material impossible to create.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Id give up every single movie and tv show Disney has done for some more sweet Tartakovsky shorts.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See above.

But that's my point. "Canon" doesn't make something better or worse, so putting such a heavy focus on "canon" over "quality" can indeed be detrimental. Is it truly better to make everything "canon", even if the new material sucks, instead of permitting a creative individual to go wild and make something like the next KOTOR or Crimson Empire or Genndy Tartakovsky's animated series?

Can you imagine what would happen if Marvel dictated that all their shows, comics, movies, cartoons, and games had to ascribe to one single canon? It would be a disaster and it would limit so many stories as to make some of the best material impossible to create.
And if I don't think the new material sucks? If I like the aspect of everything being canon?

If something being "canon" doesn't decide if something "sucks" or not then it's not detrimental.

If we wen't by you're way then we wouldn't have characters like Ahsoka coming back because who gives a shit about this one character from this one non-canon show. They'd probably just kill em off because who cares. there's no consequences or stakes with anything now so what does it matter?

Them making everything non-canon isn't going to fix whatever you don't personally like and it isn't going to magically give Bioware the ability to crap out whatever RPG you think we'd just have for some reason if Disney didn't have the series.

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
You can tell they were resistant because
none of the story fucking mattered. I was so mad that after pulling you in, the story ends with destroying the holocron. So nothing you did in the game actually mattered. It had no bearing on the larger Star Wars universe, because God forbid things outside the shit movies and comics contribute to the lore at all.