• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order was released in November to mostly positive reviews and strong sales numbers, but the game's success was not always a sure thing. Game director Stig Asmussen said in a new interview that Lucasfilm--which controls the Star Wars franchise--was originally resistant to Asmussen's pitch for the game.

In early meetings, the Lucasfilm team suggested that Respawn go a different direction and make a game using blasters instead of Lightsabers. The reason being was that Lucasfilm is very protective of Jedi in particular, Asmussen said.

"They weren't super comfortable with the idea," Asmussen said of his initial pitch for a melee-focused action game on the AIAS Game Maker's podcast. "I pitched, 'Hey what if we do a game about Jedi and Force powers, and they were not super comfortable with that. They threw it back and said, 'What about blasters and bounty hunters?' That's not the background of the team we've built; you might as well ask me and us to start building a racing game at this point. I don't think anybody's going to be happy with the results of that.

"What I came to learn is for them, Jedi is the Holy Grail. To make a game about Jedi, you gotta earn it. There was a little bit of a back and forth but they could see where I was coming from."

Later in the interview, Asmussen mentioned that Respawn and Lucasfilm had numerous "fights" about creative decisions regarding Jedi Fallen Order. He said he understands Lucasfilm's position being the rights-owner of the Star Wars series. He also said recalled that Lucasfilm came back to him with a "hard no" on several different ideas. He said his team at Respawn became frustrated at times, but again, Asmussen said he understood that Lucasfilm has final say being the owner and controller of the Star Wars franchise.

The entire interview is incredibly in-depth and fascinating, offering an illuminating and insightful look into the origins of Jedi Fallen Order. It's available everywhere you can find podcasts, including Spotify.

I guess that we can't blame EA for everything Star Wars related. It looks like that Lucasfilm has a lot of issues too.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Jedi is the power fantasy for literally billions of people.

God forbid we make a game about them.

Oct 27, 2017
They were resistant to Fallen Order yet let something as divisive as Episode VIII happen. Sometimes Lucasfilm just don't make sense.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Shit like this just makes me sad to read.

You should want to attract more people who want to make a game in your brand, not scare 'em away.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why is Disney so terrified of making Star Wars games? sure plenty of the mid-aughts stuff was rough but we got some great shit like BFII and Republic Commando there too

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
What? There are plenty of games where you have played as a Jedi. Now they're magically sacred?

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fallen Order is canon to the movies/shows, gotta be careful with retcons and inconsistencies. It seems they found a nice balance because Fallen Order had a ton of cool stuff relevant to the movies/shows and fit in really nicely with them.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Surprised they managed to get such a good story out of it with those constraints. Enjoyed the story plenty and Cal is my favorite Disney era Star Wars character.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
why is Disney so terrified of making Star Wars games? sure plenty of the mid-aughts stuff was rough but we got some great shit like BFII and Republic Commando there too

Because disney is utterly incompetent when ti comes to star wars. More star wars games would make sense. So they can't have that.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I want a bounty hunter game but c'mon. Who doesn't want at least one game to play as a Jedi? Lucasfilm are nuts.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
They act so protectively as if they have some kind of strategy to implement or quality to uphold but then flail around during the ST movies :/

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I wish Lucasfilm would be as protective when it comes to their movies (*cough* TROS). Fallen Order turned out to be superbly good in the end, so it's hard to say how it all influenced the final product.

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't be put in charge of negotiating with Lucasfilm because the urge to just say "yeah, but you also made TROS and AOTC..." would be too great.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a bad thing. It's okay to be told no and hash it out. You have to fight for your vision. It's good for the creative process.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What? There are plenty of games where you have played as a Jedi. Now they're magically sacred?
When you have a mandate that everything must be canon, that suddenly comes with a shit ton of caveats. Namely, you can't make a character like this:
Starkiller_Wallpapers___Wallpaper_Cave.0.jpg

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Before there were tiers of canon. Now that everything is canon it's a lot scarier to make changes to lore, which is why Lucasfilm plays it so damn safe all the time and the universe is so stagnant.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Yet they have no problem giving a hack like Chris Terrio so much influence in one their mainline films... lol.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Lucasfilm's default state is resistant. Making Star Wars games is a nightmare because they have to oversee every little thing (Lucas was worse, though).

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This would make more sense if stuff like Rebels which clearly shows Order 66 wasn't 100% effective (besides Obi Wan and Yoda) didn't exist

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
They're specifically terrified of making games with Jedi and Sith since these are always canon going forward. Their main movies also mainly revolve around them, so it's easy to see why they'd want to see something like bounty hunters to be used as a theme instead. At least that's what I think.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

In the disney era? Absolutely.

Remember, they abolished all EU Stuff and are very tightly trying to control what is considered canon and the story elements surrounding it all. Everything that carries the Star Wars name now, in any media, is probably considered canonical.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
TV (D+) and video games are their only hope of keeping SW relevant after that last couple of movies.