• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
yeah and I guess it was basically Uncharted reskinned. OH well...man I'm like "whelmed" by both now lol...maybe having Jedi powers will be fun. Finger's x'd

To be fair it was not the best trailer.
But it will look as good as other AAA, the tech h effects on display are all very good.
I have faith in Respawn + stig.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
So you don't know who the actor is, never seen any work he has done, but call him generic because he's a white guy.

Nice. If you hate white people, just simply say it.

LMAO. It's puzzling that some of you can't understand that it's not a real human but his digital reproduction and that a lot of actors can feel generic in some roles.

From that trailer, the character looked generic to me.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Honestly, you hold gameplay because you want to have another thing to reveal. It's a valuable thing, and a company like EA will take every opportunity to juice it.

I'd bet good money we get a gameplay reveal on the Microsoft stage at E3.
They are at a Star Wars convention. What did you expect?
I'd be offended if it was E3 and they had shown no gameplay
I would expect it to match their official statement and press release that states:
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is designed with gameplay as a top priority in order to deliver the kind of intense Star Wars lightsaber battles that are seen in the films

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I honestly don't see why people are complaining about the MC being a white guy.

In the Movies there's Mace, Lando, Rose and now Landos daughter
In the games there's both Iden and her Daughter, looking even further back Kotor 1 and 2 had diverse characters, then there's Star Wars Bounty Hunter with Jango as well
And in the cartoons there Kanan and Ezra

Like these are all the examples that just come to mind right away, I could probably dig deeper if I wanted to.

I just don't see the problem here.

For me it's not that he's white, but it's because he's a plain faced blue lightaber wielding kid. A bald 30 year old white dude would be less generic than him. Someone like Kyle Katarn or a customized character would have been far more interesting (see Jedi Academy which did it right 16 years ago).

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That trailer was boring as hell but I trust Respawn. They really needed to show gameplay though.

I agree that MC seems pretty generic, disappointing that in a series to varied and diverse "white guy hero" is what we got.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Though I have no real issues with the character (I can't draw much from a two-minute teaser), I would have preferred a character with a little more grit, experience and somewhat battle-hardened. I mean, if you've played older Star Wars games, just look at my username, lol.

It's just that the 'learning the ropes' trope is a little played out.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

That is the article I was thinking about. I must've been conflating it with what the book discusses about Uncharted 4.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of anger in this thread seems insane. Personally am glad big budget single player games are still being made and I trust Respawn to deliver something great.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the desire for a more diverse protagonist, but it reads as excessively dismissive to see one trailer, and insist that it would absolutely be a better product if it starred a POC.

You don't know what direction they're taking this story.
You don't know what direction they're taking this character.
You don't know why they may have casted this project as they did.

Cynicism is fine. But this feels like you've leapt ahead eight months in the discourse, and declared that in the grand scheme of this whole project - of which he have known about for 30 minutes - it was a major fatal error to cast this guy as the lead.
This. Calm down people. If there's one franchise that's been super great in the diversity department it's Star Wars. The last Star Wars game with a story, Battlefront II, had a woman of color as lead in its campaign. Let's see what they do here.

Dragoneye

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The United States of America
For me it's not that he's white, but it's because he's a plain faced blue lightaber wielding kid. A bald 30 year old white dude would be less generic than him. Someone like Kyle Katarn or a customized character would have been far more interesting (see Jedi Academy which did it right 16 years ago).
I mean yeah I would have preferred Kyle myself, but we don't know a single thing about his character outside of some talk from the devs and the trailer. It's not really fair to just toss out "oh hes a generic white guy" when we know basically nothing about his character.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

In the games there's both Iden and her Daughter, looking even further back Kotor 1 and 2 had diverse characters, then there's Star Wars Bounty Hunter with Jango as well

Like these are all the examples that just come to mind right away, I could probably dig deeper if I wanted to.

The problem is that when a game has a fixed main character chances are that they are white and male. They are already over-represented in gaming and we actually made some progress in that regard in recent years, so this reveal just seems like a step backwards. Especially because it's such a big franchise. It's disappointing.

I wonder if they were scared to upset the gaming community again and therefore wanted to play it as safe as possible. Hence all the talk about no MTX, no multiplayer, gameplay focussed etc. Seems like they really tried to tap into what this type of gamer demands and I don't think that's a good thing.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I would expect it to match their official statement and press release that states:
I fully agree. But I get the sense EA wanted the story & gameplay reveals to be separate events. Or at least, wanted the game at both Celebration and E3 - with discrete announcements for both.

It was a bad panel, but it genuinely had zero impact on my excitement for the game. Seeing the trailer basically confirmed what I'd assumed this game was, and nothing else.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

On one hand, I can certainly understand. It's 2019. One would think we've come a long way from the days when the likes of Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn and Starkiller were the designated leads in mainstream Star War games. The only other outlets were in the likes of KOTOR and Jedi Academy, where you could at least make your own lead. So, the idea that they possibly weren't even considering a PoC as a main for the first singleplayer-oriented SW game in over ten years is more than a bit of a disappointment.

I'm certainly not going to hold that against Cameron Monaghan, as I think he'll do an awesome job. But more against Respawn for possibly not getting out any possible comfort zones for a mainstream product.

Having said that though, I'm of course, looking forward to this game, and I'm hoping Debra Wilson's character gets to be an interesting, as well.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Although now that I think about it, I guess it makes more sense to have a padawan in a Star Wars game to maintain a little coherence between leveling up your abilities and the story. You can't be a battle hardened hero that can't force push, lol.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Well, how many bad games has Respawn developed?
Zero. Their 3 FPS games have been excellent. I'd just be a little more hesitant to pre-order something with zero gameplay shown by a company that's making something they aren't known for. I mean, you could have asked me the same question about BioWare before Anthem released. People shouldn't blindly trust companies

Dragoneye

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The United States of America
The problem is that when a game has a fixed main character chances are that they are white and male. They are already over-represented in gaming and we actually made some progress in that regard in recent years, so this reveal just seems like a step backwards. Especially because it's such a big franchise. It's disappointing.

I wonder if they were scared to upset the gaming community again and therefore wanted to play it as safe as possible. Hence all the talk about no MTX, no multiplayer, gameplay focused etc. Seems like they really tried to tap into what this type of gamer demands and I don't think that's a good thing.
I think you're looking into this too much. I highly doubt they made him white because "Oh no those damn gamers are mad at us!" it was more of just a direction they wanted to go to. On top of that if this game is using face capture stuff, which I believe it is it would also probably impact their decision based on the actor.

I just don't understand why this has to be seen as a "step" back, as if the previous games, movies and cartoons never happened.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Zero. Their 3 FPS games have been excellent. I'd just be a little more hesitant to pre-order something with zero gameplay shown by a company that's making something they aren't known for. I mean, you could have asked me the same question about BioWare before Anthem released. People shouldn't blindly trust companies
Eh, Stig's involvement already gives them major credibility in the world of third person action games. Plus considering how much excellent platforming there was in Titanfall 2's campaign - they've got all the peices here.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I trust Respawn to deliver a great game, but that reveal did not deliver for me at all. Given all the Bioware mess and problems EA had with its other Star Wars titles, this reveal felt way too reminiscent of traditional EA pressers for their games.

We need some gameplay. This thing releases in 7 months. I get that the game will be what it is regardless of when that gameplay is revealed, but without the gameplay, this announcement felt like some Atlus bullshit.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
li5kBUo.png

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty good. I want to see some gameplay though before I just right in. Glad this is being made with UE4 so Frostbite issues wont be a thing. I bet there will be a gameplay trailer at Xbox E3 conference.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yep 1313 blows this out the water in every aspect, but this will actual come out. I guess.
It must have been a while since you've seen that demo. Just to make sure, I took another look at it again and even though it still holds up pretty well, it is definitely not blowing Fallen Order out of the water graphics wise (for in game cutscenes at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.