• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
This looks alright but nothing special. I guess I will reserve judgement till we see gameplay but the 1313 reveal was far better.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it soooo hard to show gameplay!? C'mon! I'm sick of only Cinematics/CG trailers. I do have faith in Respawn so, 1st day.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Presumably because they found a talented actor capable of personifying a character that they've written?

It's Star Wars. If they wanted to find a POC to play the role, they could find one that could do it just as well or better. I'm not signing up for this narrative that the only person that can play this main role a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away could only be this White guy.

I'm sure he will do a great job. I'm not doubting that. I just think it's a missed opportunity.

kakistocrats

Oct 29, 2017
I actually don't mind the main character design and I found myself drawn into the general concept of a street kid on an Imperial world trying to keep his head down and stay hidden. I do think it's a bit tone-deaf to wait until the end of the trailer to show him using a lightsaber when the gameplay is apparently melee-focused and Dark Souls-esque.

I'm pretty sold on the thing as it stands now, though. I liked the vibe, the protagonist is a white guy which feels lazy but I appreciate that at the very least he doesn't seem to slot easily into a more common gaming archetype like a Nathan Drake type wisecracking rogue or a Kratos/Marcus Fenix style grizzled tsundere bro. Hoping this more or less turns out to be Jedi Souls mixed with a bit of Titanfall's traversal/mobility added in.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese companies understand that gameplay is king
Yeah the problem here is that they can't really talk about much because they can't reveal story beats. The only thing they can talk about is the process behind making the game but for the audience it comes off as boring because the audience don't know shit about the game. It's a pointless exercise.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm not watching the panel, but why is everyone talking about no gameplay reveal ? Was it confirmed ? The panel ain't over right ? There could be a last trailer at the very end, with gameplay.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say it's really refreshing to have a Star Wars game reveal like 1313 that wont be canceled this time.

I wish they'd show some gameplay though.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's Star Wars. If they wanted to find a POC to play the role, they could find one that could do it just as well or better. I'm not signing up for this narrative that the only person that can play this main role a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away could only be this White guy.

I'm sure he will do a great job. I'm not doubting that. I just think it's a missed opportunity.
its true that they could of found a capable PoC actor to play a PoC protagonist

but they chose Cameron Monaghan and wanted to build a character around him

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just rewatched 1313 gameplay, and the only thing good was the graphics the gameplay looked a bit meh.
Also I very much doubt 1313 would of looked like that in the final games.

wasn't all that mostly tech / placeholder since it was secretly a Bounter Hunter game? I dunno, seemed kinda cool to me but oh well.

star_wars_1313.0.0.jpg

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at knowing about Starkiller, making a new Star Wars action game, and landing on this look for the protagonist. Even just give him an interesting mohawk, or something.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was concerned this in-engine trailer was gonna look "too" good but it actually looks kinda unimpressive. Aesthetically it just look very dull.

RldmzrK.png

This was the most gamey shot of the trailer. yeaaaa.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

I understand the desire for a more diverse protagonist, but it reads as excessively dismissive to see one trailer, and insist that it would absolutely be a better product if it starred a POC.

You don't know what direction they're taking this story.
You don't know what direction they're taking this character.
You don't know why they may have casted this project as they did.

Cynicism is fine. But this feels like you've leapt ahead eight months in the discourse, and declared that in the grand scheme of this whole project - of which he have known about for 30 minutes - it was a major fatal error to cast this guy as the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.