• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there's some revisionist history with Jedi Outcast and Academy having good lightsaber combat.

That crap was floaty as hell and felt awful. It was only good with cheats and mods.
I disagree wholeheartedly.
JO and JA combat could be improved, but its the best sword melee combat in any game to date. The only TPP game that came close to it, was Die by the Sword, by it was limited by control scheme too much.

Oct 25, 2017
h1i8v3jfbor21.jpg

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I just don't see it, and I never have, and even after trying it, I still didn't see it.

I don't understand why so many Star Wars fans (and I consider myself a HUGE Star Wars fan who has played most Star Wars games ever released) consider this to be the apex of lightsaber combat. It always just looks to me like two people hammering the left mouse-click at eachother. Yes the animations look nice I guess, but it still looks arcadey as hell (not that this is a bad thing, but for people to say this is the best of the best of the best?). Honestly I'd probably take the ROTS movie-tie-in game's dueling mode over this. It had weight, something this game's combat is severely lacking.

I think they could easily surpass this with a modern game lol.

The modding community was heavily active back in the day and did make the lightsaber fights have more frequent/weighted "pops" with big impacts like the movie fights. That video posted is like the opposite of my experiences. I wasn't big into the MP aspects because of that lol

I don't personally feel vanilla Jedi Outcast/Academy were very special, but what they could easily become with tweaks and custom levels and such made up some of the best PC gaming of all-time for me. Even the built-in dismemberment cheat multiplied the fun factor x10.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In regard to the leaked image:

TIE fighters, lookin' like OT ERA (or just before it) at earliest

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I just don't see it, and I never have, and even after trying it, I still didn't see it.

I don't understand why so many Star Wars fans (and I consider myself a HUGE Star Wars fan who has played most Star Wars games ever released) consider this to be the apex of lightsaber combat. It always just looks to me like two people hammering the left mouse-click at eachother. Yes the animations look nice I guess, but it still looks arcadey as hell (not that this is a bad thing, but for people to say this is the best of the best of the best?). Honestly I'd probably take the ROTS movie-tie-in game's dueling mode over this. It had weight, something this game's combat is severely lacking.

Red stance adds weight, and reminds me of combat in Dark Souls than anything

...but no, I'm not comparing both that way, but a friend and I had red stance multiplayer all the time in University. It was getting into position, using the right strikes, and sometimes jumping and kicking someone on the head before trying to go for a strike.

We had a force push as the only usable force power rule too. Fun as hell.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Excited to see what's up but still keeping my expectations low. It's a Star Wars game after all and we've had few that were considered amazing.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
So the assumption here is between prequel and OT? Not to keen on that personally.

Based on that image, I would have to wonder if it is between the end of the OT and Episode 7. Fallen Order would seem to imply the fall of the Empire and what happened during the transition of power to me.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So the assumption here is between prequel and OT? Not to keen on that personally.

Based on that image, I would have to wonder if it is between the end of the OT and Episode 7. Fallen Order would seem to imply the fall of the Empire and what happened during the transition of power to me.
Respawn said last year that it's set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. It isn't rumor or speculation.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Respawn said last year that it's set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. It isn't rumor or speculation.
I'm confident they'll make a good game. Just not keen on the setting. There has been enough stuff set in that period at this point between Rebels, Rogue One and books. I wish a different time period would be shown, particularly between ep 6 and 7.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Respawn has stated you will play as a Jedi padawan that survived Order 66 (kill all the jedis order given by the Emperor). I believe it even says this on the games website as of right now. It will take place after Revenge of the Sith.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confident they'll make a good game. Just not keen on the setting. There has been enough stuff set in that period at this point between Rebels, Rogue One and books. I wish a different time period would be shown, particularly between ep 6 and 7.
I don't mind the era (though admittedly the only thing from it that I've seen is Rogue One, so I'm not as familiar with or sick of it as others are), but yeah, I wish we'd get more stories that are closer to the events of the sequel trilogy. I get that they probably want to leave it more open for a bit so that nothing ends up contradicting anything that may later come up in a film, but it still feels a bit too sparse for me.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
While I don't disagree, one thing that could be in the story's favor is if they really do use this game as a means to possibly jump start content relating to the Old Republic. A number of others, including myself, are convinced that the lightsaber we see in the teaser art is a throwback to that era's style of lightsaber (or maybe even older). If that at all means we, as a fugitive Padawan post-66, are exploring avenues about Ancient Jedi/Sith/Force-users in the Outer Rim territories and the like, while avoiding Inquistors, Bounty Hunters and all manners of scum, I'll definitely be very, very interested. And that was the leaker in the other topic seemed to hint at when he replied to one of my wishlist item posts, so, I'm daring to hope.

Main thing is that I just don't want a story that takes place on familiar locales. intersects with known characters and play a role in battles that lead up to A New Hope. And if we NEVER see Vader and Palpatine show up in game beyond an off reference here and there, that would be JUST fine, by me.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

watch the video in its entirety so you realize the error of your ways

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone randomly remember how much fun they had playing Jedi Knight 2 and having a great time with the duels, those were good times. Hopefully this game can bring it back.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhh. Why did you put the date 13/4.....it's sooo weird. Anyway, excited to see what this might turn out to be. Please don't suck

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Between this, the leaks from last week and the KOTOR tie-in on Mixer...I'm getting VERY excited, right now.

Bring on all that Old Republic-styled goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.