• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

Can't wait, think this will be the GOTY for me and many others
EDIT: A new pre-order bonus has been added in unison with this announcement

Last edited:

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Impressions have been really good. I don't usually go in for Star Wars games but I also trust Respawn.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Really hope it's good and pretty excited, I'm in the mood for a good star wars story.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fingers crossed for an underwhelming wet fart.

Given how positive practically all the press for this game has been, I'm somewhat surprised some of you keep pushing the negativity.

This and Death Stranding seem to have a built-in audience of people with fully engorged hate-ons locked and loaded, regardless of how well they are critically received.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Fingers crossed for an underwhelming wet fart.

Ah...that good old ERA bubble. Luckily the impressions imply the exact opposite and its shaping up to be a potential GoTY contender. If Death Stranding is divisive asf, it could even take GoTY given its mass appeal

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited to finally get my hands on this. Dark Souls + Metroid + Uncharted, wrapped in a Star Wars skin, is extremely my jam

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Also its good to see the generic comments have subsided. I expect a lot of crow to be served once reviews are out

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just want a playable demo. Nothing is more boring than reading the press all regurgitate the exact same talking points about games before release. I want to know how it actually feels to play in the moment so I can know if it's worth my time.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just want a playable demo. Nothing is more boring than reading the press all regurgitate the exact same talking points about games before release. I want to know how it actually feels to play in the moment so I can know if it's worth my time.

I'm not against demos (I love them) but generally speaking we seem well past the point of getting them for most games. That said, subscribing to EA Access for a month could greatly mitigate the financial risk if you want to play it and see for yourself.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Imagine waking up.

"Hmm, what should i do today, i'll probably watch The Mandalorian"

first episode finishes,, "time to boot up Jedi Fallen Order"!

:D Sounds like a fun time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not against demos (I love them) but generally speaking we seem well past the point of getting them for most games. That said, subscribing to EA Access for a month could greatly mitigate the financial risk if you want to play it and see for yourself.

Eh, unless I could get a free month, probably not. I really don't like subscription services.

I wish developers were confident enough in their games to LET us try them and decide for ourselves if they're worth buying, rather than always going "trust us" and having the press just parrot the same five or six PR-approved talking points in every article regardless of the website.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Despite a release date on the 15th, I bet we'll see this drop to half price by Black Friday.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It being designed heavily based on Souls progression has me depressed, but I can't say I'm not looking forward to a quality Starwars 3rd person action game. It does look great, and I'm full expecting a 83+ MC game, will probably rank as one of the best Starwars game made. Thanks to the team at Respawn .

Oct 26, 2017
It being designed heavily based on Souls progression has me depressed

The game has a classic skill tree, it's not exactly "Souls progression".
gpv29503xi631.png

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to the team. I'm really skeptical even though TF2 is a classic. I'll get it down the line on sale either way, got too much going on.

Dabi3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buying day 1 to support but will hold off until after I'm through Death Stranding.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Eh, unless I could get a free month, probably not. I really don't like subscription services.

I wish developers were confident enough in their games to LET us try them and decide for ourselves if they're worth buying, rather than always going "trust us" and having the press just parrot the same five or six PR-approved talking points in every article regardless of the website.

Making a demo does take away from development of a game. And there's gonna be plenty of reviews to read and watch to get an overall feel of the game as well as user scores. And I don't find it odd that the press often come to similar conclusions about the game.

They've also described the combat as being responsive and fluid in nearly all the previews despite the awkward looking animations at times if you're worried about controls. However, I did see a few saying the platforming might not be as tight as the combat. Ofc all previews are based on limited time with the game so take it as that. And even if they released a demo, I don't see it being as long as what the previewers got.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has a classic skill tree, it's not exactly "Souls progression".
gpv29503xi631.png
Oh ok, cheered me up a little. I heard there's camps and exp loss of you die? Hope all that is optional of true. Prefer the classic way of progress, don't mind Respawn making the combat more challenging though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Making a demo does take away from development of a game. And there's gonna be plenty of reviews to read and watch to get an overall feel of the game as well as user scores. And I don't find it odd that the press often come to similar conclusions about the game.

They've also described the combat as being responsive and fluid in nearly all the previews despite the awkward looking animations at times if you're worried about controls. However, I did see a few saying the platforming might not be as tight as the combat. Ofc all previews are based on limited time with the game so take it as that. And even if they released a demo, I don't see it being as long as what the previewers got.

Yeah, I don't really care about or trust the press anymore. Not because I think they're biased or anything, but every press preview sounds identical nowadays, and they don't actually tell me how the game feels in your hands. It's always top-level marketing-driven discussions of games hitting SEO-aligned buzzwords to ensure maximum engagement.

As an example, press people said Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey combat is "responsive" and then I played it and the combat was boring, bland and repetitive for dozens of hours despite making up the bulk of the game's content. People raved for MONTHS about Horizon and that game bored me half to death in minutes.

There's no real way to be sure if you'll enjoy a game's flow without trying it for yourself, and the barrier to entry for that is basically just "buy the game at full price, no refunds lol" nowadays.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok, cheered me up a little. I heard there's camps and exp loss of you die? Hope all that is optional of true. Prefer the classic way of progress, don't mind Respawn making the combat more challenging though.

Not optional, but I guess it doesn't sound that bad. Especially on lower difficulties where the chances of you dying are smaller.

Then there's the meditation spots, which are essentially the game's version of bonfires. There, you'll be able to upgrade your character's skills, and restore your health and healing items. Like Souls, mediating brings back all the enemies you killed.

More interestingly, dying will cost you your XP, once again just like many FromSoftware games. Respawn, however, has a bit of a different approach to the retrieval process Soulsborne fans know very well. When you return, you'll find that the enemy that killed you is marked.

All you need to do is hit them once to gain back your lost XP. You don't even need to kill them, and the game will even boost your health and Force power slightly as a bonus for diving back in.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Yeah, I don't really care about or trust the press anymore. Not because I think they're biased or anything, but every press preview sounds identical nowadays, and they don't actually tell me how the game feels in your hands. It's always top-level marketing-driven discussions of games hitting SEO-aligned buzzwords to ensure maximum engagement.

As an example, press people said Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey combat is "responsive" and then I played it and the combat was boring, bland and repetitive for dozens of hours despite making up the bulk of the game's content. People raved for MONTHS about Horizon and that game bored me half to death in minutes.

There's no real way to be sure if you'll enjoy a game's flow without trying it for yourself, and the barrier to entry for that is basically just "buy the game at full price, no refunds lol" nowadays.

Ehh...I'd say the controls are responsive in AC Odyssey but I agree that the combat is bland after spending dozens of hours with the game. I think if the game's AI was more aggressive and changed things up more, the combat would have been more interesting.

But as far as identical conclusions are, I think thats just part of people natually picking up on similar pros and cons in a game despite the fact previewers are sharing their own thoughts on it. Its hard for the press not to unanimously call this a Metroidvania with Souls like elements when thats ultimately what it is based on their time with it. How it holds up beyond those 3 hours remains to be seen.