• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
It's almost like you shouldn't use a 15 minute gameplay sequence to describe a seemingly deep game with many interwoven systems!

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Exploration sounds totally fine. Large levels, meaningful upgrades hidden in nooks and crannies, metroidvania style mobility and traversal abilities...

Story I'm with you on, there's no way of knowing until it's in our hands.

We might not know a lot about the plot, but I suspect, given who it involved, the writing is going to be fine.

Not surprised at the scaling of the AT-AT. It's on the cover art, so is probably the big set piece being saved for tomorrow.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool shit OP, thanks.

From what is in the OP, it seems like this was one of those cases of a game showing a demo that doesn't fully represent what the game is about. 3d map projection makes me think about Dead Space's UI which is great, and all the exploration based gameplay, rewards and all sounds pretty exciting, and even more so all the little touches to keep you immersed like "real time" travel, hubs and all.

All in all, sounds pretty good!

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The write up definitely gives more detail than the demo showed which shouldn't surprise anyone. Really like everything I'm hearing and definitely gonna play on hardest difficulty for this

Quick Summary (tl;dr version)

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

/Thread
  1. You can upgrade and customize your lightsaber with different parts and colors
  2. Levels are quite large
  3. Lightsaber combat is silk smooth and responsive and it's close to Sekiro
  4. Vehicles with guns confirmed
  5. Difficulty settings and there was plenty of challenge in the GI demo, harder than the EA Play demo
  6. There are combos but enemies are tough
  7. There's a ship-HUB, you use this to travel to various planets
  8. Many path locked behind gadgets and abilities to unlock
  9. Good variety in locations in old and brand new planets
  10. There's Photo mode
  11. Player customization and Skill tree with various upgrade circles

Shogeki

Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Whats wrong with linear? Much better than a bloated and boring open world which is a category most open world games fall under. You'd think you guys would learn your lesson by now.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Descriptions have me more excited than the stage demo for sure.

Still, I will forever be spoiled by the Jedi Knight series' blend of lightsaber and firearm combat. Being "just" a Jedi feels so limited by comparison.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
3i4oealz26331.jpg

Sith temple?

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Im really excited for this. The gameplay was decent but the GI coverage sounds so much better.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
yeah...after watching the gameplay demo, i find that really hard to believe.

Ehh...isn't responsiveness something you'd have to play yourself to know? Seems hard to pick up from watching.

Now jankiness is something I did notice so maybe he played a different build or something

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh the combat didn't look that smooth in the demo, and definitely didn't look like Sekiro.

Difficulty is something we'll have to play to see, but what they streamed today looked incredibly simple.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I liked the gameplay demo but this info sounds even awesome.

Seems like a lot of people are judging it just from the early basic demo and haven't seen any of this info yet.

Oct 25, 2017
When they make Sekiro comparisons, are they talking about the posture meter stuff? Seemed like there was something of that ilk going on

Sekiro's combat is a lot more than just the posture meter; namely, perfectly timed blocks.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Prior to beginning development of Jedi: Fallen Order, Respawn pitched EA on a Star Wars project, but the two sides couldn't agree on a deal that made sense. Director Stig Asmussen and a small team of developers at Respawn then set out to create a new intellectual property that featured third-person melee combat. When a demo was ready, Respawn pitched it to EA, which loved what was there, but thought it had great potential as Star Wars game. Respawn's CEO Vince Zampella asked his team if they would rather continue working on the original IP or turn it into Star Wars. The team enthusiastically said "Star Wars."
Wow.

It really is just EA saving ass after all their major fuckups with the license deal. Fuck EA, holy shit, man. A bunch of cowards. Still, best of luck to the team making this game. It's a great opportunity for all of them - I'm just crushed it's come at the cost of several other projects that EA almost nonchalantly seemed to put in the garbage bin from a layman's POV, along with hundreds of people's jobs.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Wow.

It really is just EA saving ass after all their major fuckups with the license deal. Fuck EA, holy shit, man. A bunch of cowards. Still, best of luck to the team making this game. It's a great opportunity for all of them - I'm just crushed it's come at the cost of several other projects that EA almost nonchalantly seemed to put in the garbage bin from a layman's POV, along with hundreds of people's jobs.
What are you going on about? The team decided they wanted to do Star Wars...

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Can developers just stop shoehorning FromSoft-style combat into games where it doesn't fit?

Do you want to be a fast acrobatic Jedi with a wide array of combat tools that you can creatively chain into sequences of your own invention, or do you want to clunkily circle an enemy with your saber out and wait for a counter opportunity, get a few slashes in, then go back to your holding pattern? I know my answer.

Stop treating Soulsborne combat like it belongs in every type of action game. Its deliberate nature and economy of movement are out of place in games where you should be agile and free.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

You got all of that from the quoted excerpt?

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I knew after seeing the 3D map that there must have been more to the level design. Sounds like this could be a winner, especially if they clean up some of the animations.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Can developers just stop shoehorning FromSoft-style combat into games where it doesn't fit?

Do you want to be a fast acrobatic Jedi with a wide array of combat tools that you can creatively chain into sequences of your own invention, or do you want to clunkily circle an enemy with your saber out and wait for a counter opportunity, get a few slashes in, then go back to your holding pattern? I know my answer.

Stop treating Soulsborne combat like it belongs in every type of action game. Its deliberate nature and economy of movement are out of place in games where you should be agile and free.

i made a thread about this a while ago, although i didnt really title or get at the main issue i was trying to and it swerved off course.

Basically, devs used to take the action game template from DMC and then GOW, and now its Souls. While its a testement to how popular and influential souls has been, its also kind of stupid, because it shows that developers of many of these games only riff off of what's popular and what they can easily understand as a concept, even if its not suited for the type of game they are making.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Gameplay reminded more of Sekiro than Dark Sould specifically but I understand the comparisons entirely

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
i made a thread about this a while ago, although i didnt really title or get at the main issue i was trying to and it swerved off course.

Basically, devs used to take the action game template from DMC and then GOW, and now its Souls. While its a testement to how popular and influential souls has been, its also kind of stupid, because it shows that developers of many of these games only riff off of what's popular and what they can easily understand as a concept, even if its not suited for the type of game they are making.
It's such an unfortunate trend. I really wish developers would take combat design cues from games that suit their project. There is no shortage of great combat gameplay to reference. It doesn't always have to be the hottest new thing, if the hottest new thing is slow and calculated while your thing ought to be zippy and unrestrained.

Thank goodness the new God of War and Devil May Cry games didn't just copy/paste Bloodborne's combat.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It's such an unfortunate trend. I really wish developers would take combat design cues from games that suit their project. There is no shortage of great combat gameplay to reference. It doesn't always have to be the hottest new thing, if the hottest new thing is slow and calculated while your thing ought to be zippy and unrestrained.

Thank goodness the new God of War and Devil May Cry games didn't just copy/paste Bloodborne's combat.

To be fair, with games like Nioh, Bloodborne and Sekiro, its not as if souls likes cant be ultra fast and in the moment...and God of war did take certain cues from souls while making its own thing...

But going back to the overall point, the flow of the combat for this starwars game does not really fit souls at all, especially with haphazard uncharted sections just bolted onto it as well