• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Revealing gameplay is always a little nerve-wracking, even more so when considering our goal of delivering 25 minutes of hands-on footage, not to mention the little point that this is the latest Star Wars™ game;).

In scope and expectations, this is by far the biggest E3 demo I have ever worked on.

Looking back a week later, the response has been amazing and informative. We are incredibly humbled by your support and are dedicated (more than ever), to make this game as great as it can be!

We spent months going back and forth discussing the best strategy to release this content, and ultimately decided for the first-look, it was critical to present a focused 15 minutes of raw, in-game footage highlighting lightsaber gameplay that speaks to the Jedi fantasy in an empowering way. But it should not be mistaken that our combat is overpowered or easy. I promise there is considerable challenge and depth to be found within our combat system. The same can be said about our approach to level design, which is crafted in a non-linear way with heavy influences from games like Metroid, Castlevania, and the Souls series. The game will feature several planets that the player can elect to travel to via starship. On these worlds unique abilities and upgrades can be found that open up new paths across other planets, making retraversal an essential part of the gameplay experience. This is a lot to describe in 15 minutes of gameplay. Getting hands on the full 25 minute experience is best to completely understand it.

With that said, we invited some press to play the game at E3, offering hands on for the full 25 minute demo. Here are some of their impressions: The Verge, Game Informer, GameSpot, IGN. From these previews, I think it's safe to say that the game isn't as easy as it looks and our thoughts internally about the game "feeling good" are closer to being validated. But we are not done yet, and are continually play testing to ensure the game challenges even the most skilled player, while not alienating those who want to take a more casual approach. And, maybe most importantly, we also want to make sure that the game is delivering on the core promise of becoming a Jedi.

Last but not least, we would like to share the full demo video with all of you. The top of the demo showcases a hand-crafted sequence we refer to internally as a Star Wars™ moment. Midway through look out for a small peek into our planet hopping system, an example of an upgrade/acquire, as well as our Metroid inspired map (in action). We sincerely hope you enjoy!

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fun, I cracked up when he butted the Stormtrooper heads together, didn't look strong or hard but knocked them both unconscious.

Keeping true to the movies, Stormtrooper armor seems to amplify damage that is received....

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I see why a lot of sites have been comparing this to the Souls series. That meditate checkpoint basically works the same as bonfires. Looks really good so far.

And the droid is pretty awesome! Even better and more emotive than BB-8 I must say.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It makes me so happy to see more and more developers that are working on 3D games citing Metroid[vania] as a world/level design inspiration. Despite not being a Star Wars fan, this game has my attention for that reason alone.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
man game looks so good graphically. just hope it looks close to this on PS4 Pro.

Whenever he pulls out the map, it looks confusing and unclear to me.

Also I guess that meditate function was the sneak peak into the planet hopping menu. Looks neat.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Honestly this video didn't excite me a single bit more than the original reveal, the game looks fine as that's the best and worst I could say about it imo.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
cOp0xeP.gif

FFVII style convo system for some light RP.

Planets you can pursue in any order:
o9maRjW.gif

Metroidvania upgrades:
7pSFSct.gif

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Well, now, that's more like it~!

No idea why they didn't show off something like this for its initial E3 debut (or even at Celebration, to be quite honest), but hey, if EA wants to coast by with layups when Respawn should be allowed to dunk, that's on them.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i cant watch, but giving the impressions so far i guess the gam its aight?

does anyone know how long to beat it?

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
A little bit better than the E3 reveal but I'm still indifferent to it.

Feels like they know they fucked up with how they initially presented things.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
It looks nice, but would have prefered a character creator or a less bland/boring main character.

Also less PG-13.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Enemies still stand still way too long. Combat looks....off.

Traversal stuff looks good, very uncharted vibe to it. This demo was ways better than what they showed at E3.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dissapointed the bodies don't get chopped up when you attack them. I wanna see storm troopers cut in half and arms flying.

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know if it's Star Wars fatigue setting in or the game just looks boring, but I'm not really feeling this one.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
A way better presentation than the first one imo. The Souls/Metroidvania comparisons make way more sense now

Very excited for this title

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019
The game is targeting 60fps on console? Pretty neat.
Running animation is pretty bad though.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
"it was critical to present a focused 15 minutes of raw, in-game footage highlighting lightsaber gameplay that speaks to the Jedi fantasy in an empowering way"
In which world the jedi fantasy is killing every one... it is quite the opposite actually.