• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelDeux

Nov 20, 2017
I'm so hyped for this one, between The Mandalorian, this and TROS next month, the mouse works hard.

It was a nice detail that he didn't spoiled the game, hopefully as a SW fans, we are in for surprises to be added to the canon.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 5
Sekiro
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Disco Elysium
Control
Monster Hunter World Iceborne
Astral Chain
Judgment
Death Stranding
The Outer Worlds
Luigi's Mansion 3
Super Mario Maker 2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
Apex Legends
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Gears 5
Kingdom Hearts III

I'm sorry but this list doesn't do anything to help change my mind. Not one of these games stands out as a great game to me. You must play a lot of games if you have played all of these and think they're good. While I can certainly see the appeal in these to some people - not one of them leaps out to me as a game I want to play.

Control looked good and had some cool tech features in it and is probably the game in the list that made me want to play it more than any others but still didn't catch my attention enough to buy and play. Astral Chain is the second on the list and I may still go there one day but I dunno it's just not jumping out at me even though the combat does seem cool. I could say more about some of them having some slight appeal to me, Sekiro, RE2, DMC5, MHW, DS, LM3 and G5 but honestly not enough of appeal to pull me in so it's a clear pass for me.

For me, I used to play games SO much but as I've gotten older and my time priorities go towards creating my own artworks I only find enjoyment in very few games and there really hasn't been one game released this year that I have wanted to play and thus I've not really played any (that were released this year).

Fallen Order is the first game of the year that I will buy and want to play so I really hope I like it because I need some time off and am really looking forward to putting a good 3 days into playing all day when it comes out on Friday and for the weekend, thus I am looking forward to this game VERY much.

To give you perspective on my taste (and to fight a list with a list) the games I have played last year and this year:

God of War (game that inspired me to finally grab a PS4)
Breath of the Wild (game that inspired me to buy a switch)
Mario Odyssey
Horizon Zero Dawn
Spider-Man
Red Dead Remption 2
The Last of Us Remastered
Nier Automata
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (DNF and really only played this for a time because it's all I could find that might interest me)

Four of those games came out in 2018 which was enough to make it a good year but for me personally - Jedi Fallen Order looks like it will be the only new game I'll play this year which definitely makes it a sucky year IMO.

2020? It's going to be damn well huge.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I'm sorry but this list doesn't do anything to help change my mind. Not one of these games stands out as a great game to me. You must play a lot of games if you have played all of these and think they're good. While I can certainly see the appeal in these to some people - not one of them leaps out to me as a game I want to play.

Control looked good and had some cool tech features in it and is probably the game in the list that made me want to play it more than any others but still didn't catch my attention enough to buy and play. Astral Chain is the second on the list and I may still go there one day but I dunno it's just not jumping out at me even though the combat does seem cool. I could say more about some of them having some slight appeal to me, Sekiro, RE2, DMC5, MHW, DS, LM3 and G5 but honestly not enough of appeal to pull me in so it's a clear pass for me.

For me, I used to play games SO much but as I've gotten older and my time priorities go towards creating my own artworks I only find enjoyment in very few games and there really hasn't been one game released this year that I have wanted to play and thus I've not really played any (that were released this year).

Fallen Order is the first game of the year that I will buy and want to play so I really hope I like it because I need some time off and am really looking forward to putting a good 3 days into playing all day when it comes out on Friday and for the weekend, thus I am looking forward to this game VERY much.

To give you perspective on my taste (and to fight a list with a list) the games I have played last year and this year:

Mario Odyssey
Horizon Zero Dawn
Spider-Man
Red Dead Remption 2
Nier Automata
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (DNF and really only played this for a time because it's all I could find that might interest me)

Four of those games came out in 2018 which was enough to make it a good year but for me personally - Jedi Fallen Order looks like it will be the only new game I'll play this year which definitely makes it a sucky year IMO.

Just because you've not played those games doesn't mean they're not great, what a strange logic. Also your list of recently played games might as well just be listing all the biggest AAA releases, you clearly buy games based off hype, marketing and brand power.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Very late embargo. But there is no way this reviews poorly. It has all the elements of a game that make it review-proof in terms of getting heavy criticism.

I expect high 80s.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I am actually really looking forward to this in a way I did not expect. Please don't hurt me EA........

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Just because you've not played those games doesn't mean they're not great, what a strange logic. Also your list of recently played games might as well just be listing all the biggest AAA releases, you clearly buy games based off hype, marketing and brand power.

Or maybe he just has a different taste? I would pick any game he listed over every game in the other list.

I am actually really looking forward to this in a way I did not expect. Please don't hurt me EA........

Good thing EA doesn't make the game.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Or maybe he just has a different taste? I would pick any game he listed over every game in the other list.

Oh comon you know that hasn't stopped them in the past. It's a single player game so I am hopeful it's just like Titanfall 2 but you never know

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018

If it was about taste, games like Sekiro and The Surge 2 have offered similar experiences to what Fallen Order is going for. Nothing that Fallen Order is doing makes it stand out as worth being the one game to play this year.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Oh comon you know that hasn't stopped them in the past. It's a single player game so I am hopeful it's just like Titanfall 2 but you never know

Disney is behind it and Respawn is a good dev. I'm sure this game is in good hands.

If it was about taste, games like Sekiro and The Surge 2 have offered similar experiences to what Fallen Order is going for. Nothing that Fallen Order is doing makes it stand out as worth being the one game to play this year.

I played Sekiro and the Surge 1 and I didn't like both. Both that game and The Surge may have similar mechanics, but these games are obviously also very different. JFO is heavily narrative driven and it has big setpieces and Uncharted/AC like traversal. There are most likely no deliberate difficulty spikes, apart from having higher difficulties.

Everything I have seen looks way more fun than Sekiro and The Surge, so there's that. If they nail the pacing (combat - platforming - puzzling - exploring) and the Star Wars vibe, they've got a winner.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Mario Odyssey
Horizon Zero Dawn
Spider-Man
Red Dead Remption 2
Nier Automata

BXRymt6.gif

Control feels so good to play, the surreal world building and psychological thriller aspects are great if that kind of stuff intrigues you, plus it's not as long as those other games. Some of the best combat in a third person shooter. I think you should give it a go if you like freedom in your games.

Do you play any indie games? If you're into storytelling, you should play A Plague Tale and Outer Wilds. If you're into quick 10-30 min arcade games, Ape Out and Lovely Planet 2.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
i've got this preordered because I want an action adventure in the sci fi / fantasy mould to play by the end of the year. So far it looks entertaining but very safe. Considering it is the same director as GoW3, hoping to see a bit more spectacle from the boss battles than has been shown so far. Nothing has been shown so far in that regard that grabs me...Maybe I should just flip my preorder for Control and grab this down the road.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why people can't wait until reviews are out.

You can buy games even without pre-orders.

My only dilemma is that I have the day off Thursday and I can get the game delivered for then which will obviously be before reviews. Usually I would wait but I'm pretty confident I will like this game and all impressions point to it being decent at the very least.

Hedera

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people can't wait until reviews are out.

You can buy games even without pre-orders.
Personally, I'm only buying the game at launch or near launch if I can take advantage of a trade in offer a store does where I'm from in which the game would cost 44€. And that means pre ordering as the deal is only up before the release date. Since I "only" have a base ps4 reviews are a tad more relevant for me cause performance consideration.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Man those impressions got me hyped, i had no idea the game was like this.

Thought it would be a linear progression, but this sounds great!

Mar 29, 2018
If I preorder this on Steam, are the chances decent I'll be able to open it early with a VPN?

(... It's out on Steam right?)

Control feels so good to play, the surreal world building and psychological thriller aspects are great if that kind of stuff intrigues you, plus it's not as long as those other games. Some of the best combat in a third person shooter. I think you should give it a go if you like freedom in your games.

Do you play any indie games? If you're into storytelling, you should play A Plague Tale and Outer Wilds. If you're into quick 10-30 min arcade games, Ape Out and Lovely Planet 2.
That GIF spoils a couple of great powers imo. I went into Control not knowing you could do either of those things and it blew my mind.

Idk, this is an AAA metroidvania and we almost never get AAA metroidvanias. Based on that alone I'd put it up there as "must play" this year. Star Wars brand aside.

The last AAA metroidvania we got was God of War last year and before that... God knows. I can't think of another AAA metroidvania without going back a long time. MGS3 or Lost Planet 3 maybe. Dead Space.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the latest previews for the first time. This really is a Souls-like with backtracking, enemy respawn and bonfires :( (I don't like the Souls games)
I was mildly hyped but now it's probably gonna be a pass for me. I expected a rather linear story-focused game like Uncharted.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
They have 100% used this excuse for Mandalorian. TV critics are pretty pissed about it too. I've seen multiple stories on TV review sites just in the last few days about it.
Nowhere in any of my posts on this topic did I suggest otherwise. All I said is that I don't believe them when they say that's the reason. I think they're worried about review scores.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
Star Wars is a family friendly franchise - I'm 99% certain this will be a far more accessible and chill implementation of Souls design. It's also a metroidvania which neither Souls nor Nioh are.

I hope so, but...how can it be both a metroidvania and a souls-type? They seem like polar opposites to me. One is about unlocking new areas through the acquisition of new tools and weapons and the other one is about unlocking new areas by getting to a certain point and unlocking shortcuts.

I much prefer the former but I don't know which one is more prevalent here.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I hope so, but...how can it be both a metroidvania and a souls-type? They seem like polar opposites to me. One is about unlocking new areas through the acquisition of new tools and weapons and the other one is about unlocking new areas by getting to a certain point and unlocking shortcuts.

It's the former

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

No.

"Souls-like" means strategic combat with movement telegraphing. It means resetting health items at "bonfires" while enemies respawn when you use them. It means you earn currency by slaying enemies and losing it when you die, but being able to get it back in your following life.

Mar 29, 2018

The label "Souls" isn't just about world design and traversal. Its most unique aspects are:
- the "bonfire" checkpoint system where enemies are permadead until you "rest" at which point they ALL respawn. (Player-controlled checkpointing and world reset)
- more tactical, considered combat and combat being an integral part of the level/world design (stamina/posture management, back and forth engagement with enemies, enemies as "traps" and features of the game world)
- experience points and currency being the one single pool and interacting with game systems (eg combat) in clever ways (e.g. enemies "carrying" your currency after death, harsh loss of XP on consequent deaths, etc)

None of these features/concepts preclude a game from being a metroidvania.

The core features of a metroidvania are:
- the game is a blend of combat, exploration and puzzles (never just one. Souls is mostly combat so cannot be a metroidvania) and
- parts of the world are reachable but locked until new abilities are found in the game world, enabling you to reach/access new areas, progress through the world/story, and solve more puzzles.

We know FO has puzzles and exploration as core features alongside combat (unlike Souls which has few/no puzzle mechanics) and has multi-use abilities which enable you to reach new areas in a non-linear fashion.

In other words:
In Souls you'll never find a grapple tool halfway through which will let you reach high places previously inaccessible. In Fallen Order you probably will. Hence it's a metroidvania.

Last edited:

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
No.

"Souls-like" means strategic combat with movement telegraphing. It means resetting health items at "bonfires" while enemies respawn when you use them. It means you earn currency by slaying enemies and losing it when you die, but being able to get it back in your following life.

I'm aware of those aspects I guess I was just more concerned with how you get around and find new areas, etc. Sorry for the confusion.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Everything about the way this game has been shown/marketed feels so weird. Maybe it's just me, but I was not impressed with the E3 showing and hadn't heard a lot of "buzz" but every time I see individual impressions from actual people the game seems awesome. Feels like it's setting up to maybe be a bit of a sleeper hit?

maybe I'm just not paying attention, too. Respawn has yet to make something I haven't loved so I still have some expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.