• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
No SW is gonna do what TFA did. After all that build up, years of it.
I agree, though maybe with inflation some future movie could gross more on fewer tickets or something. :lol

Well, there's the whole 'stopping the SW movie machine' decision. There's also the decision to hire JJ, not RJ to finish up the trilogy.

Solo's box office is what prompted Bob Iger to rethink the annual release strategy. I believe he even said as much.

JJ was hired to take over IX because he was available and Rian wasn't. TLJ wasn't even out by the time JJ was brought back onboard for IX. It would've been impossible for Rian to jump on that movie right then for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which would be burnout. Similarly, you don't see Rian moving straight from TLJ to his trilogy; he's doing Knives Out first to take a break in between Star Wars films.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Hype -> Hate -> Acceptance -> Prequels were actually good

Just watched all three prequels this last week.

They are just all bad films.

Episode 1 has some of the worst acting I've seen. Episode II is an absolute disaster of a movie. Episode III has some good parts but overall is terrible.

People are crazy if they think The Last Jedi is anywhere near the terribleness of the prequels. Even though i'm not a big fan of it.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, there's the whole 'stopping the SW movie machine' decision. There's also the decision to hire JJ, not RJ to finish up the trilogy.
I mean, there are two years between the movies, they are on an aggressive timeline, so just logistically bringing in another guy when the other was removed makes sense. It makes double sense when it's the guy who set up the pipeline and created the characters.

However I will give you, if Disney had a choice between JJ and RJ, they would probably go with JJ every time if they could. Even if they like Rian Johnson and were happy with VIII. Rian made them a lot, JJ made them the most. That doesn't somehow invalidate wanting to continue working with RJ as well, which as far as they've said publicly is how it is.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched all three prequels this last week.

People are crazy if they think The Last Jedi is anywhere near the terribleness of the prequels. Even though i'm not a big fan of it.
Sadly this type of thinking is out there and it's dog shit. I mean it's not the perfect star wars film and i wanted more adventure out of it and exploration. Specifically more meat for certain characters to chew on, when it comes to their stories and actions. But it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That may be so, but the Force Awakens DID make 124 millions in China. And it was not on the back of nostalgia. I think they will work to replicate that at least.
It was on the back of curiosity. The lack of nostalgia for Star Wars in China is why fewer people have shown up for each successive movie. TFA ended on this major cliffhanger of Luke Skywalker turning to face the screen for the first time in 30 years, and it landed like a thud in China because they had no idea who Mark Hamill was and didn't care.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Who knows if RJ even wanted to finish the series out. Given he has his own trilogy in the works and his own movie to make.

Also the "stopping the SW movie machine" was due to the spin off under-performing and the crap-shot that was solo. An then tangentially the "backlash" that followed TLJ. But the movie alone didn't signal the change it was the footnote that made them billions. The fallout of having to handle that many spin off's and directors wasn't feasible to Disney. Especially given how poorly they planned their releases.

I agree, though maybe with inflation some future movie could gross more on fewer tickets or something. :lol

Solo's box office is what prompted Bob Iger to rethink the annual release strategy. I believe he even said as much.

JJ was hired to take over IX because he was available and Rian wasn't. TLJ wasn't even out by the time JJ was brought back onboard to rewrite and direct IX. It would've been impossible for Rian to jump on that movie right after TLJ for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which would be burnout.

That is true, however, those are not decisions that you take on a whim. Rogue One didn't underperform for a spin-off, it's only Solo that saw the large drop. TLJ, the mixed-reception, the alt-right trolling and misinformation, the poor sales of merchendise AND Solo all contributed to that decision.

You can also see Lucasfilm falling back on what worked and backtracking on the unofficial no-Prequel material directive with Clone Wars' new season, Clone Wars in Battlefront II, in the X-wing miniatures game and so on.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was on the back of curiosity. The lack of nostalgia for Star Wars in China is why fewer people have shown up for each successive movie. TFA ended on this major cliffhanger of Luke Skywalker turning to face the screen for the first time in 30 years, and it landed like a thud in China because they had no idea who Mark Hamill was and didn't care.
Hopefully the two trilogies will be able to create some enticement there. Depending on the path they take and the characters they choose out side the sky walker saga. Which to me has run it's course.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully the two trilogies will be able to create some enticement there. Depending on the path they take and the characters they choose out side the sky walker saga. Which to me has run it's course.

I imagine they may insert more Eastern influences into the new movies (like - if they're going to the Old Republic - making the ancient Republic/Sith more China-like in architecture and so on).

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is true, however, those are not decisions that you take on a whim. Rogue One didn't underperform for a spin-off, it's only Solo that saw the large drop. TLJ, the mixed-reception, the alt-right trolling and misinformation, the poor sales of merchendise AND Solo all contributed to that decision.

You can also see Lucasfilm falling back on what worked and backtracking on the unofficial no-Prequel material directive with Clone Wars' new season, Clone Wars in Battlefront II, in the X-wing miniatures game and so on.
Yeah i don't think any one can argue that Disney wasn't piling on WAY to much after TFA. They decided light-speed was the route for the Star Wars IP and find out that it was foolish and wasn't gonna help their bottom line in the long run. I can only imagine how their scheduling looked like and seeing them realize. How poorly it was gonna turn out.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Was this ever actually a directive or just speculation and rumors? The first visual thing they produced, Rebels, was a prequel, with prequel characters in both key and minor roles (I'm talking full on clones and battle droids), and bridged the prequels and the original series. They released prequel era comics, prequel era books, the second live action film was a prequel with actors from the prequels reprising their prequel era characters. The second numbered film directly referenced the events of the prequels. And most of this was before VIII even had a fucking trailer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Was this ever actually a directive or just speculation and rumors? The first visual thing they produced, Rebels, was a prequel, with prequel characters in key roles, and bridged the prequels and the original series. They released prequel era comics, prequel era books, the second live action film was a prequel with prequel characters. The second numbered film directly referenced the prequels.
just more of this guy presenting "speculation" as fact lmao. I shouldn't have bothered with him in the first place

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they may insert more Eastern influences into the new movies (like - if they're going to the Old Republic - making the ancient Republic/Sith more China-like in architecture and so on).
That's for sure gonna happen, the more old republic vibes and EU stuff. I hope their influenced by more stories not beholden to the Jedi - Sith messiah based war.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah i don't think any one can argue that Disney wasn't piling on WAY to much after TFA. They decided light-speed was the route for the Star Wars IP and find out that it was foolish and wasn't gonna help their bottom line in the long run. I can only imagine how their scheduling looked like and seeing them realize. How poor it was gonna turn out.

Yeah, they lost a lot of good will along the way with a series of bad decisions. If they didn't cancel the Clone Wars, close Lucasarts and cancels all those games, didn't retcon the old EU out of existence (should have gone the MCU route) etc. maybe the reception of the movies would have been different.

Was this ever actually a directive or just speculation and rumors? The first visual thing they produced, Rebels, was a prequel, with prequel characters in key roles, and bridged the prequels and the original series. They released prequel era comics, prequel era books, the second live action film was a prequel with actors from the prequels reprising their prequel era characters. The second numbered film directly referenced the events of the prequels.

I heard rumors about it being implied. Like with that Prequel Podracing easter egg cut from Force Awakens. Gradually, when they found out that the Prequel hate was over, they started to incorporate it. Rebels is a curious case; I would say it's still more OT than PT, but in the later series you do get that connection.

That's for sure gonna happen, the more old republic vibes and EU stuff the better in my minds. I hope their influenced by more stories not beholden to the Jedi - Sith messiah based war.

Maybe it'll be a Journey to the West reinterpretation ;)

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I heard rumors about it being implied. Like with that Prequel Podracing easter egg cut from Force Awakens. Gradually, when they found out that the Prequel hate was over, they started to incorporate it. Rebels is a curious case; I would say it's still more OT than PT, but in the later series you do get that connection.
Sure, it's possible they wanted to minimize it and started leaning in more when they realized there was a market for it, but everything I listed happened before VIII dude, so I'm not sure why you are discussing it in context to the TLJ reception.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh shit at that SW UK tweet.. So it IS true..

Also LMAO people still trying to spin TLJ as a box office failure, give it a fucking rest, christ

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It really depends on your arrangement. If you're on a retainer, yes. If you've just got a development deal as an option - depends on the contract. Remember at this point this is mostly talks, maybe a treatment.

Think of it as optioning an IP. If there was an intial fee, it was already paid. There is no financial reason for the licensee to return a license before it expires.

There is also no reason for Disney to annouce RJ trilogy as terminated at this point in time. Nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost. It's more prudent to just wait.

Probably not "shadow fired."

Do we have any other examples of shadow firings?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I really wish the internet would have been around for empire. Can you imagine how much people would have hated it.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
lmao, "they've fired for a lot less." Trevorrow was fired for writing a bad script; Lord and Miller were fired for running production out for too long, among other things. These are all logistical problems that make a complicated, expensive production process more complicated and expensive -- all of which are much bigger offenders in Lucasfilm's eyes than, uh, delivering a movie on-time, on-budget, and to a $1.3 billion box office.

You cannot be "shadow fired." Either he's working on the movie or he isn't. He has already said he is. Disney does not give two shits "TLJ detractors" online, just like they do not give two shits about what some people online think about James Gunn being fired or Lord and Miller being fired. If there was a concern that The Last Jedi had divided the fanbase and cost them a lot of business, their response to Rian pitching a whole new trilogy that he would oversee would not be, "Yes, let's do it."
Trevorrow was not fired for a bad script. It's because he disagreed with the direction Episode 8 went in relation to his owns ideas for Episode 9. Luke Skywalker and Leia had large roles to play in his movie and shared these ideas with Mark Hamill. He probably planned to retcon Luke dying and Kathleen didn't go for it. With Carrie dying, anything left of his script needed a complete rewrite and it probably wasn't worth having him continue knowing he didn't like the way Luke's character was written in 8 anyway.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help that Colin Trevorrow is a terrible writer. The Book of Henry and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom are travesties of filmmaking.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Can there be some kind of thread specific sub-rule for any future Episode 9 threads whereby dissecting and arguing over TLJ (or prequels etc) is just outright banned...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trevorrow was not fired for a bad script. It's because he disagreed with the direction Episode 8 went in relation to his owns ideas for Episode 9. Luke Skywalker and Leia had large roles to play in his movie and shared these ideas with Mark Hamill. He probably planned to retcon Luke dying and Kathleen didn't go for it. With Carrie dying, anything left of his script needed a complete rewrite and it probably wasn't worth having him continue knowing he didn't like the way Luke's character was written in 8 anyway.

Woah, I had no idea o_O Source?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Source?

Oct 28, 2017

Ohhhh man

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

tumblr_p1eehqu3Of1tpk0vyo4_250.gif

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a legit source for this? Because I'm pretty sure this was all wishful thinking bullshit being peddled by people who didn't like TLJ around the time Trevorrow was fired.

As far as I know neither Trevorrow or Kennedy have ever explicitly said why he was let go from the movie, but the fact that it happened shortly after The Book of Henry came out and bombed is probably not a coincidence. Maybe Trevorrow really was trying to write the dream Star Wars film for people who hated TLJ, and Kathleen Kennedy just couldn't tolerate that. But I think it's probably a little more likely that the guy who wrote Jurassic World and Book of Henry could not put together a good enough script here.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a legit source for this? Because I'm pretty sure this was all wishful thinking bullshit being peddled by people who didn't like TLJ around the time Trevorrow was fired.

As far as I know neither Trevorrow or Kennedy have ever explicitly said why he was let go from the movie, but the fact that it happened shortly after The Book of Henry came out and bombed is probably not a coincidence. Maybe Trevorrow really was trying to write the dream Star Wars film for people who hated TLJ, and Kathleen Kennedy just couldn't tolerate that. But I think it's probably a little more likely that the guy who wrote Jurassic World and Book of Henry could not put together a good enough script here.
I don't think there is a legit source for this. However I will say, it is entirely possible that Colin Trevorrow, director of the wickedly sexist Home Base (2002) and noted director who has made controversial remarks regarding gender equality in Hollywood, does indeed have some opinions that line up with whatever troll site made up this bullshit that wouldn't jive with Kathleen Kennedy.

However, actual possible reasons that were reported on by slightly more reputable sources (with actual insider access) like Vulture include that he was "difficult" and over confident and just couldn't crack it, and Book of Henry was the perfect excuse to let him loose.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, none of these "rumors" hold any water. They're essentially just fanfic that people wanna pretend is real.

It's complete and utter bullshit and this site should be better about posting straight up lies.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

Mark Hamill is on record saying he and Colin heavily discussed Luke's role in episode 9. It was to be a major part.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Mark Hamill is on record saying he and Colin heavily discussed Luke's role in episode 9. It was to be a major part.
Oh damn, that's one hell of a source. You're telling me the man himself talked to the director about his role? I don't even know what to attach to the -gate suffix, this revelation is so all-encompassing.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Trevorrow was hired for IX a year after Rian was hired for TLJ. There is no way that Trevorrow started writing IX without knowing that the movie preceding his would end with Luke dying, and there's no way he wrote an Episode IX where Luke was alive that he had to ditch because he somehow learned too late that Luke was actually going to be dead.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Trevorrow was hired for IX a year after Rian was hired for TLJ. There is no way that Trevorrow started writing IX without knowing that the movie preceding his would end with Luke dying, and there's no way he wrote an Episode IX where Luke was alive that he had to ditch because he somehow learned too late that Luke was actually going to be dead.

Obviously Luke will be in 9 as a force ghost of some sort so technically those aren't mutually exclusive. Still people cling onto some story they read on the internet and keep repeating it as fact to fit a narrative. Kennedy fired Trevorrow because he was not cutting it. She has delivered on 3 great and 1 decent Star Wars movie in the last 4 years, so I trust her judgement.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like, Rian didn't start writing a whole movie and then read JJ's script and was, like, "OH NO WHO IS REY? FINN? HE KILLED HAN!? NOW I HAVE TO START OVER!".

The way this whole thing was set up JJ would write TFA and while he was shooting it, Rian would write TLJ and while Rian shot TLJ, Colin would write IX. This is what happened and then Carrie died, re-writes had to happen and for whatever reason he was replaced. Hell, Colin actually asked Rian to shot something that would set up something he had planned for IX.

The idea that Colin had a bunch of stuff planned about Luke before he even knew what would happen in TLJ is such goofy ass fanfiction.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It still boggles my mind that people hated The Last Jedi. It's not a slam dunk, but it's the most interesting Star Wars film since Empire.

TFA plays it safe, the prequels are pure trash.

Get your heads out of your asses.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping JJ can close this trilogy out back on track, TLJ got way too much hate but it was very disappointing and is going to feel very out of place when you watch this trilogy from start to finish.