• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
They probably shadow fired him, though. They cannot fire him outright, because this would give the TLJ detractors ammunition and make Disney look weak and pandering to the crowd. At the same time, the movie divided the fanbase and cost them a lot of business and they've fired for a lot less. I imagine they will just quietly let this 'Rian trilogy' slide into oblivion.
???

He's still making the movie.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it ended
tenor.gif

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
They probably shadow fired him, though. They cannot fire him outright, because this would give the TLJ detractors ammunition and make Disney look weak and pandering to the crowd. At the same time, the movie divided the fanbase and cost them a lot of business and they've fired for a lot less. I imagine they will just quietly let this 'Rian trilogy' slide into oblivion.
He is 1000% still making them

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
lmao, "they've fired for a lot less." Trevorrow was fired for writing a bad script; Lord and Miller were fired for running production out for too long, among other things. These are all logistical problems that make a complicated, expensive production process more complicated and expensive -- all of which are much bigger offenders in Lucasfilm's eyes than, uh, delivering a movie on-time, on-budget, and to a $1.3 billion box office.

You cannot be "shadow fired." Either he's working on the movie or he isn't. He has already said he is. Disney does not give two shits "TLJ detractors" online, just like they do not give two shits about what some people online think about James Gunn being fired or Lord and Miller being fired. If there was a concern that The Last Jedi had divided the fanbase and cost them a lot of business, their response to Rian pitching a whole new trilogy that he would oversee would not be, "Yes, let's do it."

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't help that you have a history of being a massive troll in ever ST Star Wars related thread. Shit is tired man.

I understand you find a critique of a movie you personally like 'trolling', but it is nothing of the sort. I've made my arguments way over a year ago and won't be rehashing them in every comment.

Also, because you seem to not understand, me commenting on a movie is not equivalent of you commenting on me. Again: please stick to the topic and cut it out with the ad personam.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
lmao, "they've fired for a lot less." Trevorrow was fired for writing a bad script; Lord and Miller were fired for running production out for too long, among other things. These are all logistical problems that make a complicated, expensive production process more complicated and expensive -- all of which are much bigger offenders in Lucasfilm's eyes than, uh, delivering a movie on-time, on-budget, and to a $1.3 billion box office.

You cannot be "shadow fired." Either he's working on the movie or he isn't. He has already said he is. Disney does not give two shits "TLJ detractors" online, just like they do not give two shits about what some people online think about James Gunn being fired or Lord and Miller being fired. If there was a concern that The Last Jedi had divided the fanbase and cost them a lot of business, their response to Rian pitching a whole new trilogy that he would oversee would not be, "Yes, let's do it."

Rather, I was thinking about, for example, the firing of James Gunn. It was a decision motivated purely by business (and a possible loss of business if he remained hired).

What I mean by 'shadow fired' is that they simply are not interested in actually making a movie without firing anyone to not be seen as reactive. It's actually quite cheap to have a screenwriter on a prolonged script-writing pre-production duty without actually commiting to production.

And I'm not saying Disney is giving two shits about TLJ detractors. It isn't. But it does give a shit when it comes to the bottom line. If Rian Johnson's trilogy is sidetracked, it's bacause of the money, not because someone said it was a bad movie. But the fact is TLJ made less money than it could have.

To Disney Rian Johnson isn't anybody special. There are 10 more eager guys like him waiting in the wings for their chance. If Disney has the opportunity to make a new movie, and they can decide between the guy who stokes controvery and someone who doesn't... there's really not much they can gain with sticking with the former.

This is my two cents on the matter. I don't presume to know 100% what will happen, this is my take on it from my limited exposure to the industry.

Oct 28, 2017
I understand you find a critique of a movie you personally like 'trolling', but it is nothing of the sort. I've made my arguments way over a year ago and won't be rehashing them in every comment.

Also, because you seem to not understand, me commenting on a movie is not equivalent of you commenting on me. Again: please stick to the topic and cut it out with the ad personam.

You have entered this thread to advance a theory that has no evidence to back it. What do you think you are adding to this conversation, except peddling unsubstantiated rumors and pet theories, all because you didn't like a movie. Your schtick is old and tired.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
You have entered this thread to advance a theory that has no evidence to back it. What do you think you are adding to this conversation, except peddling unsubstantiated rumors and pet theories, all because you didn't like a movie. Your schtick is old and tired.

Sure, guy. So, again: stop the ad personam.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
But the fact is TLJ made less money than it could have.
This particular argument is so fucking weird and kind of meaningless. it can be said of literally any movie. Avatar made less money than it could have. It also made more than it could have, interestingly enough. The only hard undebateable fact we do have is that it made Disney over a billy and more than any other movie that year.

Yeah it also made less than the other movie, which made more domestically than every single other movie in existence. So sure, you can massage that fact to force it as evidence they'll move on from Rian for conservative business reasons, while I'll use the fact they've had trouble keeping directors around while they reportedly had few issues with Rian as evidence that they'd like to keep him around. From a business standpoint he's the known and proven quantity from a production and critical standpoint.

Last edited:

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Do you still get paid if you're "shadow fired"?

It really depends on your arrangement. If you're on a retainer, yes. If you've just got a development deal as an option - depends on the contract. Remember at this point this is mostly talks, maybe a treatment.

Think of it as optioning an IP. If there was an intial fee, it was already paid. There is no financial reason for the licensee to return a license before it expires.

There is also no reason for Disney to annouce RJ trilogy as terminated at this point in time. Nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost. It's more prudent to just wait.

Oct 25, 2017
This particular argument is so fucking weird and kind of meaningless. it can be said of literally any movie. Avatar made less money than it could have. It also made more than it could have, interestingly enough. The only facts we do have is that it made Disney over a billy and more than any other movie that year. Yeah it also made less than the other movie, which made more domestically than every single other movie in existence. So sure, you can use that fact as evidence they'll move on from Rian from monetary reasons, while I'll use the fact they've had trouble keeping directors around while they had few issues with Rian as evidence that'd they'd like to keep him around. From a business standpoint he's the known and proven quantity from a production and critical standpoint.
You're choosing to keep him going, why?

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
This particular argument is so fucking weird and kind of meaningless. it can be said of literally any movie. Avatar made less money than it could have. It also made more than it could have, interestingly enough. The only facts we do have is that it made Disney over a billy and more than any other movie that year. Yeah it also made less than the other movie, which made more domestically than every single other movie in existence. So sure, you can use that fact as evidence they'll move on from Rian from monetary reasons, while I'll use the fact they've had trouble keeping directors around while they had few issues with Rian as evidence that'd they'd like to keep him around. From a business standpoint he's the known and proven quantity from a production and critical standpoint.

Why do you say that? We're on a video game forum. The big publishers regularly report sales in the milions while simultaneously saying they're short of projected revenue and estimations. Companies like Disney are interested in all the money, not just some. TFA was generally well received and made over 2 billion. TLJ probably underdelivered on internal projections. Also, it had a giant, larger than normal drop off in its second and subsequent weeks. It also underperformed in China, which over the last decade became one of the major markets.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you say that? We're on a video game forum. The big publishers regularly report sales in the milions while simultaneously saying they're short of projected revenue and estimations. Companies like Disney are interested in all the money, not just some. TFA was generally well received and made over 2 billion. TLJ probably underdelivered on internal projections. Also, it had a giant, larger than normal drop off in its second and subsequent weeks. It also underperformed in China, which over the last decade became one of the major markets.

It performed the same as the other 2 middle of the trilogy SW movies.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
And TLJ was generally well received and the biggest movie of the year. Everything else, this talk of projections, is pure speculation. Of course we know what they want, everything, but do you have additional, substantiated or informed insight into their projections or expectations? Whether they were disappointed in Rian, found the returns acceptable, or some combination of the two? You might as well be pulling shit from your ass.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
This particular argument is so fucking weird and kind of meaningless. it can be said of literally any movie. Avatar made less money than it could have. It also made more than it could have, interestingly enough. The only hard undebateable fact we do have is that it made Disney over a billy and more than any other movie that year.

Yeah it also made less than the other movie, which made more domestically than every single other movie in existence. So sure, you can massage that fact to force it as evidence they'll move on from Rian for conservative business reasons, while I'll use the fact they've had trouble keeping directors around while they reportedly had few issues with Rian as evidence that they'd like to keep him around. From a business standpoint he's the known and proven quantity from a production and critical standpoint.
All star wars films made less than the previous ones in their trilogies and spin offs also

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
It performed the same as the other 2 middle of the trilogy SW movies.

In my opinion this is not a good analogy, as we're talking about very different markets (time-wise). It would be more accurate to compare the ST to other contemporary trilogies or movie series (like the Batman Trilogy, Marvel trilogies or the post-soft reboot Fast&Furious movies).

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
And TLJ was generally well received and the biggest movie of the year. Everything else, this talk of projections, is pure speculation. Of course we know what they want, everything, but do you have additional, substantiated or informed insight into their projections or expectations? Whether they were disappointed in Rian, found the returns acceptable, or some combination of the two?

Well, yes, it's speculation. I never claimed to have insider knowledge with 100% accuracy on this particular matter. None of us can claim that. This is just my take on the matter. I try to explain the reasoning behind it. I think Disney's reaction after TLJ and Solo, i.e. cleaning the slate of new movies and saying they need to slow down the pace, is a signal the movies underperformed. Solo was probably a box office bomb; its hard to say how much it lost, because of the extensive reshoots. TLJ WAS profitable, more than any other movie that year; yet it made about 33% less than it's predecessor and generated controversy; it's something somebody talked in an office somewhere. "Why didn't it do as much as TFA and what we can do to make the next one earn more'.

My opinion of Rian or TLJ is not important for this conversation. I dislike the movie, but I also dislike Venom, but it's clear to me why that is getting a sequel.

wah wah ad personam!!!! this is a game forum so my made up theory with no evidence doesn't need evidence!!!!!!! if you're so upset for being told the thing you made up is made up maybe don't post made up bullshit?

Well, now you're just acting like an alt-right troll.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, yes, it's speculation. I never claimed to have insider knowledge with 100% accuracy on this particular matter. None of us can claim that. This is just my take on the matter. I try to explain the reasoning behind it. I think Disney's reaction after TLJ and Solo, i.e. cleaning the slate of new movies and saying they need to slow down the pace, is a signal the movies underperformed. Solo was probably a box office bomb; its hard to say how much it lost, because of the extensive reshoots. TLJ WAS profitable, more than any other movie that year; yet it made about 33% less than it's predecessor and generated controversy; it's something somebody talked in an office somewhere. "Why didn't it do as much as TFA and what we can do to make the next one earn more'.

My opinion of Rian or TLJ is not important for this conversation. I dislike the movie, but I also dislike Venom, but it's clear to me why that is getting a sequel.

It's curious how your "speculation" seems to find its way into virtually every SW thread you participate in. Funny how that happens.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Rather, I was thinking about, for example, the firing of James Gunn. It was a decision motivated purely by business (and a possible loss of business if he remained hired).

Gunn's firing was motivated by brand reputation. I don't actually think GOTG3 would've suffered at the box office because of shitty pedophile jokes made a decade ago, but at the same time the world's preeminent children's entertainment company does not want to associate itself with shitty pedophile jokes from a decade ago.

And I'm not saying Disney is giving two shits about TLJ detractors. It isn't. But it does give a shit when it comes to the bottom line. If Rian Johnson's trilogy is sidetracked, it's bacause of the money, not because someone said it was a bad movie. But the fact is TLJ made less money than it could have.

TLJ is the second-biggest Star Wars film of all time, and one of the biggest films of all time period. As far as the bottom line goes, I'm pretty sure Disney was happy with it. Otherwise, they wouldn't have, you know, said yes to his pitch for another three movies.

To Disney Rian Johnson isn't anybody special. There are 10 more eager guys like him waiting in the wings for their chance. If Disney has the opportunity to make a new movie, and they can decide between the guy who stokes controvery and someone who doesn't... there's really not much they can gain with sticking with the former.

There is no "controversy" around that movie beyond internet echo chambers. People who don't like TLJ will hate to hear this, but in Disney's eyes Rian Johnson actually IS special. Because of the nine directors that Disney has engaged for this recent batch of Star Wars movies, Rian is the only one to have overseen the whole production from start to finish, without any trouble. There were no delays, no script problems, no production issues, no falling behind schedule, no running over budget, no clashes with the producers, no personal temperament problems. He wasn't fired, he wasn't sidelined, nobody had to take over the movie from him. He's the only one to have delivered a Disney-produced Star Wars film on-time, on-budget, hassle-free. Maybe you're bewildered that the guy who directed a movie you and others hated would ever be rehired to do another 1-3 Star Wars movies, but from Disney's point of view he's a reliable sure thing.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
It's curious how your "speculation" seems to find its way into virtually every SW thread you participate in. Funny how that happens.

There's really no mystery to it, SW is probably the 'fandom' I'm into the most, so those are the topics I frequent the most. You will also find me in the Bor Gullet thread and maybe Prequel memes.

Oct 25, 2017

funny, since the alt-right trades in presenting falsehoods as facts and that's precisely what you're doing, then claiming it was only speculation and trying to invalidate people's arguments by naming types of arguments. which classic alt-right DEBATE ME tactics. lol

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they announce Rian Johnson was doing a trilogy BEFORE TLJ came out?
Yup.

KK is on record saying working with RJ has been one of her career highlights. Thats pretty impressive considering her resume.

Not nearly the same situation as the firing of L&M, Treverrow, Trank or getting Edwards replaced mid production.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no "controversy" around that movie beyond internet echo chambers. People who don't like TLJ will hate to hear this, but in Disney's eyes Rian Johnson actually IS special. Because of the nine directors that Disney has engaged for this recent batch of Star Wars movies, Rian is the only one to have overseen the whole production from start to finish, without any trouble. There were no delays, no script problems, no production issues, no falling behind schedule, no running over budget, no clashes with the producers, no personal temperament problems. He wasn't fired, he wasn't sidelined, nobody had to take over the movie from him. He's the only one to have delivered a Disney-produced Star Wars film on-time, on-budget, hassle-free. Maybe you're bewildered that the guy who directed a movie you and others hated would ever be rehired to do another 1-3 Star Wars movies, but from Disney's point of view he's a reliable sure thing.
tenor.gif

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Lol every Star Wars movie underperforms in China
The franchise being in freefall in China is probably going to hurt the box office for every future Star Wars movie in a significant way. I'm sure IX and some others will clear the $1 billion mark, but as long as China doesn't give a shit, any box office significantly higher than $1.5b is likely going to be out of reach. Unless another movie can replicate TFA's domestic gross but that seems unlikely too.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The franchise being in freefall in China is probably going to hurt the box office for every future Star Wars movie in a significant way. I'm sure IX and some others will clear the $1 billion mark, but as long as China doesn't give a shit, any box office significantly higher than $1.5b is likely going to be out of reach. Unless another movie can replicate TFA's domestic gross but that seems unlikely too.
No SW is gonna do what TFA did. After all that build up, years of it.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Gunn's firing was motivated by brand reputation. I don't actually think GOTG3 would've suffered at the box office because of shitty pedophile jokes made a decade ago, but at the same time the world's preeminent children's entertainment company does not want to associate itself with shitty pedophile jokes from a decade ago.

I agree! Disney doesn't want to associate with pedophile jokes because of their branding. There's no reason to risk losing even a fracture of the audience when for all intents and purposes the creators are replacable (see Edgar Wright etc.). But it also isn't like the screened Gunn before-hand to make sure he's clean; they didn't care until it was public knowledge and stoked controversy.

TLJ is the second-biggest Star Wars film of all time, and one of the biggest films of all time period. As far as the bottom line goes, I'm pretty sure Disney was happy with it. Otherwise, they wouldn't have, you know, said yes to his pitch for another three movies.

There is no "controversy" around that movie beyond internet echo chambers. People who don't like TLJ will hate to hear this, but in Disney's eyes Rian Johnson actually IS special. Because of the nine directors that Disney has engaged for these last five Star Wars movies, Rian is the only one to have overseen the whole production from start to finish, without any trouble. There were no delays, no script problems, no production issues, no falling behind schedule, no running over budget, no clashes with the producers, no personal temperament problems. He wasn't fired, he wasn't sidelined, nobody had to take over the movie from him. He's the only one to have delivered a Disney-produced Star Wars film on-time, on-budget, hassle-free. Maybe you're bewildered that the guy who directed a movie you and others hated would ever be rehired to do another 1-3 Star Wars movies, but from Disney's point of view he's a reliable sure thing.

Well, there's the whole 'stopping the SW movie machine' decision. There's also the decision to hire JJ, not RJ to finish up the trilogy.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

That may be so, but the Force Awakens DID make 124 millions in China. And it was not on the back of nostalgia. I think they will work to replicate that at least.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree! Disney doesn't want to associate with pedophile jokes because of their branding. There's no reason to risk losing even a fracture of the audience when for all intents and purposes the creators are replacable (see Edgar Wright etc.). But it also isn't like the screened Gunn before-hand to make sure he's clean; they didn't care until it was public knowledge and stoked controversy.

Well, there's the whole 'stopping the SW movie machine' decision. There's also the decision to hire JJ, not RJ to finish up the trilogy.
Who knows if RJ even wanted to finish the series out. Given he has his own trilogy in the works and his own movie to make.

Also the "stopping the SW movie machine" was due to the spin off under-performing and the crap-shot that was solo. An then tangentially the "backlash" that followed TLJ. But the movie alone didn't signal the change it was the footnote that made them billions. The fallout of having to handle that many spin off's and directors wasn't feasible to Disney. Especially given how poorly they planned their releases.