• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Hopefully JJ doesn't include another Leia Poppins-like moment. It was probably the first time going to a cinema where I could hear the audience be shocking silent with concern one moment, and erupt in laughter the next. Don't think that was the desired effect they were going for.
I expected her to start fighting from space like yoda or having a battle mech suit

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I was so hyped for The Force Awakens only for it to be a lazy, terribly written remake of A New Hope that painted the story of the entire new trilogy into a corner. JJ Abrams deserves complete blame for this and all of the nonsensical plotholes that still haven't been resolved and likely never will be. Now, just like Revenge of the Sith, I don't even care about the 3rd entry of this trilogy and I love the original trilogy, except for every scene with the ewoks. Could've been an amazing new trilogy, but so far it's been just a cheap, horribly written and planned cash grab.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if Episode IX will keep Rey and Finn reunited for much of the runtime. A group of Rey, Finn, Chewy and Rose would be pretty damn cool to see.

The Leia scene looks a tad awkward simply because of the logistics; she's frozen and can't move but willing herself back towards the ship.

Regardless, it's a great scene because it gives us a glimpse of that Skywalker bloodline and potential.
It's a great idea that was horribly executed. In my opinion, it would have made more sense and would have been damn cool if Leia used a force shield/protection bubble as they did in the Legacy comics. More importantly, they would have avoided the Mary Poppins comparison.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Episode IX will keep Rey and Finn reunited for much of the runtime. A group of Rey, Finn, Chewy and Rose would be pretty damn cool to see.
I think that's almost a given with how the past two films end.

First splits them up so they can grow as characters without each other and in the second, now with their own experiences, they have a big emotional reunion. I'm fully expecting IX to have the three together for the entire movie.

I'm also thinking Rey and Poe will also have a lot of screen time together since they've not really interacted with each other aside from a tiny scene in TLJ.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wrap party is tomorrow (also contains lightish spoilers depending on how you look at it):

Nov 1, 2017
DFW, Texas
Nobody laughed at my 10 screenings.

People like to pull shit out of their ass to help their narrative.
One could easily say that someone claiming 10
screenings is "pulling shit out of their ass" as well. I mean seriously, we can play the "if you doubt me, I'll doubt you" but I won't passive aggressively tell you that you are full of shit, I'll tell it to your face.

And what narrative am I trying to project here? A drunk guy made a well placed joke in a movie? The crowd I saw the Last Jedi with was totally into it. Don't draw me into your haters vs. defense force fuckery.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Nobody laughed at my 10 screenings.

People like to pull shit out of their ass to help their narrative.
I have been to two screenings. People laughed at the first, no one at the second :shrug:
Maybe they were busy cringing like I was ? (J/k)
I like the movie but that scene is Uwe Boll levels of terrible

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Can't wait for the movie to come out!
Loved this trilogy so far and am curious to see how they wrap things up.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Sweet, I can't wait to see this movie. Loved VII and Rogue One. Haven't seen Solo yet and VIII was just incredibly boring until last 1/3 of the film.

IX will make or break the sequel trilogy for me. I have high hopes.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

It's a great idea that was horribly executed. In my opinion, it would have made more sense and would have been damn cool if Leia used a force shield/protection bubble as they did in the Legacy comics. More importantly, they would have avoided the Mary Poppins comparison.

Just cause you didn't see a force bubble, doesn't mean it wasn't there. Got to remember, space has no friction so all it would take is a light pull from your hand to send you into motion.

Also, why is it Mary Poppins, because it is a woman? There are many images of a man in that pose and it being considered flying and heroic.

images

Change it from a fist to an open palm and you got pretty much the same pose.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
giphy.gif

Hopefully JJ doesn't include another Leia Poppins-like moment. It was probably the first time going to a cinema where I could hear the audience be shocking silent with concern one moment, and erupt in laughter the next. Don't think that was the desired effect they were going for.

This was not a laughable moment. It was the most cringeworthy moment of the entire set of movies.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

It still gets me that no one making this remembered the ship was moving at flank speed lol. THey even diverted extra power to engines right before to get away from the FO. Yet for this she and the ship are stationary.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
It still gets me that no one making this remembered the ship was moving at flank speed lol. THey even diverted extra power to engines right before to get away from the FO. Yet for this she and the ship are stationary.
I mean it's space, relative velocities are a thing. Two objects traveling the same velocity would appear stationary to each other. This is complicated by the ship probably continuously accelerating and leia being propelled in a different direction, but it's hard to say just how fast that would look. Then there is the fact that explosions happen in space in this universe and sometimes it seems like there is drag when those ships are moving.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
If you really want to bring science into a SW thread...

If they had finished accelerating before she got blasted out, she would still carry that forward momentum and potentially keep up with the ship. It's not like there's air out there to slow her down and stop her.

Have you seen 2001? Do you think their ship was stationary during all those spacewalk repair scenes?

Oct 25, 2017
If you really want to bring science into a SW thread...

If they had finished accelerating before she got blasted out, she would still carry that forward momentum and potentially keep up with the ship. It's not like there's air out there to slow her down and stop her.

Have you seen 2001? Do you think their ship was stationary during all those spacewalk repair scenes?

The ship was under constant acceleration (other support ships fell behind when they ran out of fuel). That and Leia was pulled out at a different vector that the ship itself so even with both continuing at the same speed (humoring this ignoring the constant acceleration) she should've been well behind the ship at that point.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
The ship was under constant acceleration (other support ships fell behind when they ran out of fuel). That and Leia was pulled out at a different vector that the ship itself so even with both continuing at the same speed (humoring this ignoring the constant acceleration) she should've been well behind the ship at that point.

I mean, it's silly to discuss acceleration at all since the engines are always burning all the time in SW, so I feel like I humored you first, in a sense.

But unless she was blown backwards, I don't think this puts her behind the ship. It wouldn't subtract from the forward component.

I'd have to look it up, I'm a math person, not so much physics.

Edit: actually, I'm pretty sure the force of her ejection would have to rival the starship engines themselves (proportional to her mass, so more like a Starfighter engine) to be able to leave her behind. Assuming the ship had stopped accelerating in or before that moment.

Last edited:

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but we are forgetting this attack happened PRIOR to the big race, immediately after the First Ordered popped up and the resistance was only starting to turn their ship around and run away. The acceleration, scenes of ships falling behind all happen later after they had been running away for some time.

At the point she is launched, there is no visual indication of the magnitude of acceleration and no clear visual indicator of her velocity. She WAS in fact some distance away from the ship though.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

They probably shadow fired him, though. They cannot fire him outright, because this would give the TLJ detractors ammunition and make Disney look weak and pandering to the crowd. At the same time, the movie divided the fanbase and cost them a lot of business and they've fired for a lot less. I imagine they will just quietly let this 'Rian trilogy' slide into oblivion.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, you do you but, if you want to talk about why that particular scene didn't work bedsides the goofy framing and pacing of the moment; the lack of consistency of in universe logic even within the same movie is part of it. I don't particularly care if SW is scientific or not but at least craft the rules of the universe to be plausible in it's own rules rather than making something like that which is jarring to movie itself.

Sure, but we are forgetting this attack happened PRIOR to the big race, immediately after the First Ordered popped up and the resistance was only starting to turn their ship around and run away. The acceleration, scenes of ships falling behind all happen later after they had been running away for some time.

At the point she is launched, there is no visual indication of the magnitude of acceleration and no clear visual indicator of her velocity. She WAS in fact some distance away from the ship though.

The moment happened right as her ship started to accelerate away, the order was to drop the forward shield for the rear and give full power to engines to get distance from the FO ships. Leia was ejected right as they were accelerating out of range.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you do you but, if you want to talk about why that particular scene didn't work bedsides the goofy framing and pacing of the moment; the lack of consistency of in universe logic even within the same movie is part of it. I don't particularly care if SW is scientific or not but at least craft the rules of the universe to be plausible in it's own rules rather than making something like that which is jarring to movie itself

The point is we've been on this merry go round a million time already, and you yourself have participated in raising the same grievances over and over again about that movie. What does that scene have to do with episode 9 wrapping production?

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
The moment happened right as her ship started to accelerate away, the order was to drop the forward shield for the rear and give full power to engines to get distance from the FO ships. Leia was ejected right as they were accelerating out of range.
Okay, then here is my final attack. She was launched at high velocity...from the front of the ship. The bridge is at the front. The shot of her in space is from above and in front of the action. The ships are accelerating toward her, at least on one axis.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you do you but, if you want to talk about why that particular scene didn't work bedsides the goofy framing and pacing of the moment; the lack of consistency of in universe logic even within the same movie is part of it. I don't particularly care if SW is scientific or not but at least craft the rules of the universe to be plausible in it's own rules rather than making something like that which is jarring to movie itself.

if:
BRIDGE_BLOWN_UP==1
then:
ACCEL=0

Oct 28, 2017
The film was made by an idiot and self admitted lazy writer
They probably shadow fired him, though. They cannot fire him outright, because this would give the TLJ detractors ammunition and make Disney look weak and pandering to the crowd. At the same time, the movie divided the fanbase and cost them a lot of business and they've fired for a lot less. I imagine they will just quietly let this 'Rian trilogy' slide into oblivion.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
You cannot be serious

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
How about we move on from the space Leia scene discussion or move that particular discussion to another thread eh?

I'd prefer to talk about how we're closer to Episode IX now and how Poe and Rey are just clinging on to Finn lol. I'm serious.