• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Luke experiences Vader & co blow up an entire planet, murder his only family, kill his mentor. Yes he didn't experience the culling of Jedi first hand, but he felt equivalent pain and trauma of losing what he perceived as people that were fundamental to his existence.
Those weren't the result of his own mistakes. Let alone things he personal built.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of the Dune sequels, so Luke's character is the thing I enjoyed most out of TLJ despite being fairly down on TLJ in general.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
The imagery was a bit clunky with the sunset and force-dice. "everything you said is wrong" line being used again kind of bugged me too.
That view from inside the temple, as his clothes blow away, with Rey spelling it out for us that she didn't feel sadness or pain but peace and purpose...it's just one of the more...happier(?) Jedi death's. And Luke deserves it, bless his heart.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
LOL no it didn't. It was goofy as shit.

And you are also missing the whole point of Yoda from ESB if you want him to be a 'badass.' Literal quote: Luke: "I am searching for a great warrior." Yoda: "Wars not make one great."
But thats the lesson yoda learnt from exile. Prequel yoda got broken down by the war. Then went to exile and learnt this.

What is so hard to understand here? It's character development

Why would yoda in ESB be the same as yoda at the peak of jedi power, influence and arrogance?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was Lukes plan?

No one knew of the back exit, and even if they did it was closed up by rubble.

So Luke goes out there and slows Kylo down for a few minutes. If the dogs didnt show the back exit and then Rey show up to open it.... Luke died for nothing.

Now if Finn had been allowed ot ram his ship into the weapon that would have atleast bough the Rebels maybe a day or 2.

Do yeah Lukes heroic ending that involved no plan that may have bought the rebels a couple minutes before death was saved thanks to cosmic coincidence making it all work out okay

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What was Lukes plan?
The same as Leia's. He passed the torch to the new generation and expected them to figure it out. While reigniting hope in the galaxy by playing into the myth of Luke Skywalker.
Now if Finn had been allowed ot ram his ship into the weapon that would have atleast bough the Rebels maybe a day or 2.
No it wouldn't have. Finn's ship would've done nothing to the cannon.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What was Lukes plan?

So Luke goes out there and slows Kylo down for a few minutes. If the dogs didnt show the back exit and then Rey show up to open it.... Luke died for nothing.

Do yeah Lukes heroic ending that involved no plan that may have bought the rebels a couple minutes before death was saved thanks to cosmic coincidence making it all work out okay

Finn's ship was already melting before he even got close to the cannon. It wouldn't have made a dent. His sacrifice would have been for nothing, and Rose was right to stop him (but stupid for ramming her ship into his; like, really? How did that not kill them both? 😂).

And the Jedi Master that's astral projecting across the galaxy, and has shown a penchant for being able to glimpse into the future couldn't possibly have sensed that Rey was already on Crait, and would be able to remove the blockage that had trapped the Resistance through the same Force he was using to buy them all time? Simplest explanation is that Luke knew Rey was on her way to help the trapped Resistance, and was simply trying to buy them time, like Poe said. That was his plan. Igniting hope in the Resistance throughout the galaxy was an added benefit of his actions.

Not to mention Luke appearing in the base gave Poe the notion that there must be another way in/out of the base. No, he didn't expect the way to be blocked by rubble, but good thing Rey was already there in the Falcon actively searching for a way to help them escape. Like Obi-Wan says, "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

In a world with space magic, I don't view such happenstance as coincidence or plot contrivances. There are definitely things to criticize TLJ for, but Luke's actions on Crait aren't one of them.

Last edited:

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the strongest scenes in the entire series. Luke manifesting his absolute being across an entire fucking galaxy, interacting with loved ones, and deceiving his enemies, is such a phenomenally triumphant demonstration of the force in passivity, where bonds of love and connection are formed with authenticity, and folly comes only to enemies too blind sighted by their own ego to see the truth. There's such a wonderful blend of tranquillity and ascension, and expression of mastery and sacrifice, in the scene and what it represents.

I have absolutely no time for people who argue Luke was neutered in The Last Jedi. I cannot think of a more fitting demonstration of and ending to someone with unparalleled mastery of the force.

This is a beautiful write up explaining the reasoning behind Luke's actions at the end of TLJ. Than you for this, EatChildren.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
What was Lukes plan?

He trusted the Force. He was pretty jacked in, in his last moments. He could of *sent* the dogs, but if you show that you ruin the scene.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
But thats the lesson yoda learnt from exile. Prequel yoda got broken down by the war. Then went to exile and learnt this.

What is so hard to understand here? It's character development

Why would yoda in ESB be the same as yoda at the peak of jedi power, influence and arrogance?

It is about what his character in ESB represented. It did not represent jumping around with a laser sword. Plot wise it all makes sense. It does not make sense theme wise.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
It is about what his character in ESB represented. It did not represent jumping around with a laser sword. Plot wise it all makes sense. It does not make sense theme wise.
Part of Luke's training by Yoda has him doing summersaults and acrobatics with Yoda on his back. There was nothing about Yoda or ESB thematically that clashes with his fighting style in the PT.

was saved thanks to cosmic coincidence making it all work out okay
Aka the Force.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
One of the strongest scenes in the entire series. Luke manifesting his absolute being across an entire fucking galaxy, interacting with loved ones, and deceiving his enemies, is such a phenomenally triumphant demonstration of the force in passivity, where bonds of love and connection are formed with authenticity, and folly comes only to enemies too blind sighted by their own ego to see the truth. There's such a wonderful blend of tranquillity and ascension, and expression of mastery and sacrifice, in the scene and what it represents.

I have absolutely no time for people who argue Luke was neutered in The Last Jedi. I cannot think of a more fitting demonstration of and ending to someone with unparalleled mastery of the force.

Eh, it was kind of silly in retrospect, and will only stand to embolden the galaxy because the writers want it to happen.

In reality, for any onlooker it would seem like Luke Skywalker just got defeated by the First Order. Sure he withstood a few blasts, then handily gets beaten by Kylo Ren. Not super inspiring for the "mythological" Luke Skywalker. No one but Kylo Ren knows the nuance of the fight. And it's not like anyone has a clue about astral projection. A flashier showing would have been far more effective to meet the end goal that Rian wanted. Regardless how cliche that might seem.

And what good is the force power of projecting yourself to another location if you're just going to die after using it? Like, I can't think of any good reason to use it aside from this very contrived scenario developed by the writer? The imagery was cool, but his death didn't feel earned.

So in conclusion: LUKE SKYWALKER = NEUTERED!!!!!

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Eh, it was kind of silly in retrospect, and will only stand to embolden the galaxy because the writers want it to happen.

In reality, for any onlooker it would seem like Luke Skywalker just got defeated by the First Order. Sure he withstood a few blasts, then handily gets beaten by Kylo Ren. Not super inspiring for the "mythological" Luke Skywalker. No one but Kylo Ren knows the nuance of the fight. And it's not like anyone has a clue about astral projection. A flashier showing would have been far more effective to meet the end goal that Rian wanted. Regardless how cliche that might seem.

And what good is the force power of projecting yourself to another location if you're just going to die after using it? Like, I can't think of any good reason to use it aside from this very contrived scenario developed by the writer? The imagery was cool, but his death didn't feel earned.

Did you see all those soldiers that watched Kylo make a clown of himself? He had Leia and the resistance cornered and, because of his grudge, and against the advice of Hux, he let them slip through his fingers as Rey speeds off, beating him once again. There's a scene where Hux is stink eyeing Kylo sooo hard as the find the bunker empty.

He didn't even get the satisfaction of killing Luke, himself. That will gnaw at him.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I've said before I think that TLJ has higher highs than Empire, just lower lows. Luke's scenes represent the higher highs I think about.

Nov 11, 2017
What was Lukes plan?

If his proton torpedo missed the exhaust port it would all be for nothing.

See how silly that sounds?

Oct 26, 2017

For any onlooker it would seem that Luke deflected thousands of laser shots and then avoided Kylo's attacks, then shrugged off being cut in half and teleported away. For all they know he's still out there somewhere.

And what he did saved the Resistance who live to fight another day. Without him, they would all be dead in that cave except for Rey and Chewie.

Also, the movie literally tells you that what happened spread across the galaxy. The slave kids on Canto Bight heard a specific enough account to be able to act it out, not too long afterwards.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Cool article, thanks for posting. I don't really know that much about eastern philosophy. And though I know the OT was influenced by it, I didn't see much of it (or look for) it's influences in TFA. And this article described in a succinct way how the Jedi are really warrior monks, and how Luke didn't fight agressively, but in a peaceful and defensive way.

And that that in itself can be seen as how far he's come as a person. Not only in how strong he is with the Force, to project himself across the galaxy, but also how far he's come in personal, spiritual development.

Again, cool article.

Slightly off topic, but sometimes I feel about dumb about not picking up on this stuff, and what the mirror scene meant in detail for Rey, even though I've seen the movie three times. Luckily there's articles like this to point it out.

In the article it talks about astral projection in Eastern philosophy, how hard it is. It also talks about nirvana as an endpoint of enlightenment, and also a 'snuffing out of a candle'. And how helping others can be a way to achieve nirvana. Which apparently happened when Luke did what he did?

If that's what Johnson was going for it was a very specific choice, so far from a contrived scenario. And then it made for a fantastic, though bittersweet, ending.

Last edited:

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The death was cool, just wished he could have stayed on for a bit longer as he is my favourite part about the new trilogy so far

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What was Lukes plan?

Luke knows Rey is there. This is made clear by the cut from Luke's "I will not be the last Jedi" to Rey demonstrating some Jedi-ass powers in clearing away the exit.

In any event "cosmic coincidence making it all work out okay" is basically the Force anyway

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like some of you all watched a different OT. Luke's first interaction with Yoda involved being told "War does not make one great"

He throws down his lightsaber in Return of the Jedi and refuses to continue fighting.

Luke's final act of heroism is very in line with the other movies.

I am convinced y'all wanted him to be like Yoda in attack of the clones

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He trusted the Force. He was pretty jacked in, in his last moments. He could of *sent* the dogs, but if you show that you ruin the scene.
Luke knows Rey is there. This is made clear by the cut from Luke's "I will not be the last Jedi" to Rey demonstrating some Jedi-ass powers in clearing away the exit.

In any event "cosmic coincidence making it all work out okay" is basically the Force anyway

the crystal wolf is literally waiting for them to follow it.

i dont understand how people after fucking 40 years of lore and shit (even if most of it was nuked) dont get how the Force works.

even if Han says to Finn "thats not how the force works" but man, thats exactly how the force works.

i know that saying this will prompt people to jump and say "uuh so our heroes have no free will, and they chose dont matter if everything is controlled by the force hur dur"

Fuck that.

ALSO, giving the premise of this thread, and Luke being a Buddha watching over everything, HE KNOWS, what is happening inside the cave and with Rey

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also maybe it's just me, but I always thought Rey's hairstyle in TROS makes her look like a Buddha:

nAXPLQx.png
RPdJu2x.jpg

In TFA her buns were actually lower, which made them less visible from the front:

yA1L5bR.png

Oct 29, 2017

I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree. My breath was STOLEN from me with the reveal of his being a force projection. It cemented his legendary status in my opinion, and was a beautiful moment. Best in the movie if not the series, 100%.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that but, it's not well explained in TLJ, at all. You have to understand, luke's been depicted in a certain way in a lot of media before TLJ came out. 20 years of media that Disney "washed away". Books, comics, video games, CCG's. I wasn't angry at all when I finished watching it, I was simply disappointed.

The expectations of some fans for Luke to be some kind of ultimate badass were addressed in the movie by Luke himself. He dismissed them as ridiculous, then proceeded to put on a show for them anyway.

Now some of them are as pissed off as the First Order.

Why didn't he manifest his green lightsaber? Didn't Kylo know Rey had Anakin's lightsaber?

It's been addressed in this thread already, but it just goes to show how blinded by anger and hate Kylo was.

My question is, why was Luke holding his lightsaber with his left hand on top?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
This was a great read and gives me a better appreciation for the thematic elements of his arc in TLJ.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

I love this.