• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Here are just a couple of references:

The ghost of Jaga (Obi Wan) - Thundercats

images

Dungeon Master (Yoda) - Dungeons & Dragons

Q5RHjkDdUGitR49zjWGD761yTGt_GdJGQ-jmnBANsdMSV611Esa8QRCEwZm839bmKDz70J_NQWxdj02_0-JLvJEmmnRU7CGP4w5L7vEhxSOceFYNuXWnMs6S_qGaQIwogTCANbE

How many more can you pinpoint? I can think of a fair few more but will refrain in the interest of discussion :)

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Star Wars was literally the blueprint for starting a toy empire by making a popular piece of kids' entertainment, so of course a lot of 80s toons (most of which were glorified toy commercials) would borrow liberally from it.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Pretty sure the Dungeon Master is just based on weird lumpy old dudes anyone who grew up playing the early editions of D&D has at least passing experience with.

That's just, uh, kind of how a lot of the oldheads/grognards from the tabletop wargaming scene looked.

OP
OP
YolkFolk

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I think quite obviously the promotion of swords in Masters of the Universe and Thundercats came from Luke Skywalker and his lightsaber.

Also He-Man and She-Ra being brother and sister was based on the idea of Luke and Leia being estranged brother and sister as well.

b659b81bec8507da47e207782fcae5fa.jpg

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Both Transformers and Thundercats have founding parts of the story being the heroes as remnants of a civilisation fleeing disaster, that are attacked in space, sending survivors down to some backwater planet that provides the focus for further adventures.

I think quite obviously the promotion of swords in Masters of the Universe and Thundercats came from Luke Skywalker and his lightsaber.
Not so sure about this given how common magic swords are in myth and fantasy long before Star Wars. Star Wars is borrowing from a much older trope of the magic sword having various symbolism of inherited power, sanction from a higher power, nobility, technology, strength, balance, justice or any combination of the above throughout mythology. I always thought it referenced stuff like Excalibur, Galatine, Kusanagi, Mistilteinn etc with 'a weapon from a more civilised age'. Agree on depictions of a 'light/power/energy sword' post Star Wars though.

Last edited:

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Both Transformers and Thundercats have founding parts of the story being the heroes as remnants of a civilisation fleeing disaster, that are attacked in space, sending survivors down to some backwater planet that provides the focus for further adventures.
Transformers also literally had TIE fighter and light saber noises as sound fx.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Transformers also literally had TIE fighter and light saber noises as sound fx.
In the 1986 film Optimus Prime and Megatron suddenly sprout never-before-seen energy weapons for a hand-to-hand duel too, despite one's signature weapon being a massive rifle and the other one both having a massive arm cannon and literally being a gun :D Given that Transformers regularly gain and lose the ability to fly or manouver in space on a whim, it's probably the least egregious fantasy tech in the series I suppose.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

Also He-Man and She-Ra being brother and sister was based on the idea of Luke and Leia being estranged brother and sister as well.

b659b81bec8507da47e207782fcae5fa.jpg

It was less about light sabers and more about being this amalgam of Star Wars and Conan the Barbarian. It's a convergence of two simultaneous trends at the time with both sci-fi fantasy (with Star Wars being the progenitor there) and sword & sorcery being very in vogue.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The GI Joe cartoon using lasers instead of bullets is a clear homage to Star Wars.

gliders.jpg

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the 1986 film Optimus Prime and Megatron suddenly sprout never-before-seen energy weapons for a hand-to-hand duel too, despite one's signature weapon being a massive rifle and the other one both having a massive arm cannon and literally being a gun :D
I think you're mis-remembering something there. The energy weapon duel is from the 2nd episode of the TV series, while (IIRC) the battle from the movie is just a straight-up slugfest.

Dec 25, 2018
In the 1986 film Optimus Prime and Megatron suddenly sprout never-before-seen energy weapons for a hand-to-hand duel too, despite one's signature weapon being a massive rifle and the other one both having a massive arm cannon and literally being a gun :D Given that Transformers regularly gain and lose the ability to fly or manouver in space on a whim, it's probably the least egregious fantasy tech in the series I suppose.
That whole movie took a lot of influence from Star Wars both in story and visuals. The pitch for Unicron was probably "What if Deathstar but Transformer"

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think you're mis-remembering something there. The energy weapon duel is from the 2nd episode of the TV series, while (IIRC) the battle from the movie is just a straight-up slugfest.
You're quite right, I've merged loads of bits in my memory. Particularly this bit from 2.47 of this clip from the film when Megatron pulls a lightsabre is what I was thinking of, but yeah I've merged it in my head with that energy weapon duel you mention from early in the cartoon series too. Also both of them do go for their ranged weapons when they get the chance, so I've done them dirty there :D

This is likely also a real stretch in terms of a Star Wars reference I admit, but Autobot cities and ships being orangey-brown earth tones, always reminded me of the way the Jedi like brown-beige-cream, those warm, pleasant tones, to contrast the cold ones of their enemies.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The GI Joe cartoon using lasers instead of bullets is a clear homage to Star Wars.

gliders.jpg
I think a lot of high-combat cartoons like Mask and TF did that to get around the censors re. blood etc too. The neon-bright colours and sound effects were attractive and totally influenced by SW though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't seen it yet, watch The Toys That Made Us to see just what kind of effect Star Wars had on the toy market.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors was also influenced by Star Wars.

herc2-jayce-and-the-wheeled-warriors-39849455-480-360.jpg

Jayce is a bit like Luke, Herc is a cocky pilot reminiscent of Han, and Oon is a bumbling robot like C3PO/R2D2.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you haven't seen it yet, watch The Toys That Made Us to see just what kind of effect Star Wars had on the toy market.
I must watch that, I've only seen the TF one so far
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors was also influenced by Star Wars.

herc2-jayce-and-the-wheeled-warriors-39849455-480-360.jpg

Jayce is a bit like Luke, Herc is a cocky pilot reminiscent of Han, and Oon is a bumbling robot like C3PO/R2D2.
Good shout! Along with his space wizard mentor too :D I loved this cartoon as a kid. Along with Ulysses

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
You're quite right, I've merged loads of bits in my memory. Particularly this bit from 2.47 of this clip from the film when Megatron pulls a lightsabre is what I was thinking of, but yeah I've merged it in my head with that energy weapon duel you mention from early in the cartoon series too. Also both of them do go for their ranged weapons when they get the chance, so I've done them dirty there :D

This is likely also a real stretch in terms of a Star Wars reference I admit, but Autobot cities and ships being orangey-brown earth tones, always reminded me of the way the Jedi like brown-beige-cream, those warm, pleasant tones, to contrast the cold ones of their enemies.

There's also the scene with Hot Rod training with a light sabre against a droid onboard a spaceship.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I hear laser and tie fighter sounds lifted right out of Star Wars quite often in G1 Transformers.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Speaking of Transformers the Movie, Arcee's helmet is definitely influenced by Princess Leia's hairstyle in A New Hope.

fb1cbe824d063eef3c17d71b3736048b.jpg

Princess_Leia%27s_characteristic_hairstyle.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
You sure that wasn't just to get around the TV ratings considering it was a kids show?

It was both. Those lasers were Star Wars lasers, because all lasers were going to look like Star Wars lasers after Star Wars.

But in general, Star Wars' influence was so all-encompassing in the '80s, and Star Wars itself was an amalgamation of so many tropes, that its difficult to pull clear examples out except for literal lightsabers and stuff.

The Dungeon Master is both just an old fantasy trope *and* Yoda, because there was no way to make a character like that in the '80s and not be influenced by Yoda.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
There was an entire Muppet Babies Star Wars episode too, and it appeared constantly throughout the show (Gonzo was obsessed).

wt6d32k5k8r31.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find it right now, but someone made a YouTube video of all the Star Wars toy TV commercials from when the first movie came out. Over 30 different toys. I remember owning five of them. Star Wars conquered popular culture in a very accelerated time frame.

But the ideas and tropes themselves go back much farther than Star Wars, which is hardly as original as it gets credit for being. Even in cartoons there was a Star Trek animated series in the early '70's. There were the '70's Tolkien animated adaptations. Dungeons and Dragons became a cartoon of its own in the early '80's.

But I'm glad people see patterns in images and tropes from Star Wars' influence. Even though we got Laverne & Shirley and Pac-Man cartoons from the same time period (which were also crazy popular IP's at the time) we didn't end up with a torrent of spherical chomping characters or flawed-but-fabulous woman duos in subsequent animated or even live-action series.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's hard to describe how much it changed things back then.
And of course, it too was influenced by other media.

Oct 30, 2017
Ulysses 31 definitely lifted the light sabre from Star Wars.

Huh, also just learned this:
Allegations of copyright infringement:
During the mid-1980s, there was a court ruling against the international producers of Ulysses 31 (Haim Saban) due to copyright infringement via Lucasfilm Ltd.[citation needed] The cue "Battle Theme"/"Ulysse Terrasse le Cyclope" was the case as the piece blatantly used the John Williams' cue from George Lucas's Star Wars sequel, The Empire Strikes Back (heard in the film and on the Williams soundtrack album as "The Battle In The Snow"). Under the hearing, it was deemed that existing prints of the show could use this piece of music after damages were paid. Subsequent soundtrack releases would later omit that theme as royalties would have to go to their respective owners of that music. The actual version used in the series is a disco remix of 'the battle in the snow' cue taken from the 10-inch vinyl album Meco Plays Music from the Empire Strikes Back released in 1980.

Edit: Uhh, epilepsy warning I guess!

2R83wMT.gif

Last edited:

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I'll add Thundarr The Barbarian with his Sun Sword. Very SW. Loved this show.

Thundarr is straight up Wookies and Lightsabers, with some Mad Max thrown in. I appreciated this even as a kid watching it when it was on Saturday mornings.

Also, without Star Wars, we wouldn't have Star Blazers or Battle of the Planets (Yamato and Gatchaman existed prior, but they wouldn't have been localized if it weren't for the Star Wars influence).

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Thundarr is straight up Wookies and Lightsabers, with some Mad Max thrown in. I appreciated this even as a kid watching it when it was on Saturday mornings.

Also, without Star Wars, we wouldn't have Star Blazers or Battle of the Planets (Yamato and Gatchaman existed prior, but they wouldn't have been localized if it weren't for the Star Wars influence).
And now I'm down the rabbit hole of old 70s and 80s sci fi cartoons on youtube I loved as a kid. Herculoids, that was another classic HB one. Those were the days...

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I noted in another thread (FFXVI one on the Gaming Forum) that 80s fantasy was a big inspiration for JRPG settings (especially a mixture of medieval-themed worlds with sci-fi technology). A lot of those 80s fantasies were directly inspired by Star Wars (which mixed fantasy elements with science fiction). Hell, watching a lot of Youtube vids on some 80s movies I loved (history behind them and how they were made), there were MANY studios that LITERALLY said "We want our OWN Star Wars!".

There was an entire Muppet Babies Star Wars episode too, and it appeared constantly throughout the show (Gonzo was obsessed).

wt6d32k5k8r31.jpg

I'd also say it slipped into some music videos as well:

Hell, Disney's Captain EO (which had George Lucas involved) was thing where you could see the Star Wars influences.

Some people (younger people) try to downplay how popular the OT was. It was so big, its shockwave affected pop culture for MANY years after RotJ, even into the 90s up to the PT, and hell, it's still influencing stuff.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
The Aeneid is such a Star Wars clone (/s)

I recall a Super Friends episode that must have been produced immediately after Star Wars/ANH since it was just them helping a peaceful planet fight the space station of an evil empire led by a guy in white armor. Can't seem to find the episode title/summary in a list though.

Needless to say, you also have other famous series like Mobile Suit Gundam (started in December '79, so it's still 80s) wherein a protagonist with latent precognition fights (sometimes with beam swords) against space-nazis (who have a giant laser superweapon), the main antagonist being somebody wearing a kabuto-esque helmet.

Last edited:

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

The entire 86 movie is pretty much a Star Wars ripoff. Its where Transformers transitioned into being a space opera.

Arcee has hair buns like Leia.
Villain is a planet-destroying thing that the good guys have to blow up.
Mentor figure dies.
Springer is Han, Hot Rod is Luke, Arcee is Leia. Arcee and Springer even have a subsequent romance.

Edit: I see the rest of the thread agrees with me!