• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
And I'm saying you were wrong on who cancelled 1313. And also you are likely wrong that we would get more games if it wasn't exclusive either, Avengers isn't exactly getting loads of games either, and a lot of valuable multimedia IP don't get anywhere near as many games as they used, the era of those kind of games died with raising development standards, even opening up you are still going to get less games and lots of cancellations, this is not an EA thing and a large amount of the big studios aren't interested in IP they don't own either. And it's even debatable that Disney are upset with EA's output either.

The opportunity cost of EA getting the license was 1313, and whatever else Lucasart might have done, was canceled. Not sure what is hard to grasp on that.

Yeah I guess it's an unprovable counter factual we would have gotten even less Star Wars games had there been no deal, it just doesn't seem very likely to me at all.

It wouldn't have to be Games Workshop levels of license flogging but I could easily see a half dozen or so more developers and publishers pick up Star Wars projects across a wider group of genres than EA is a capable of producing.

The Star Wars license and prior catalogue of games seems to lend itself much more readily to that than the Avengers.

Seems like the rebrand is a step in that direction hopefully!

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The opportunity cost of EA getting the license was 1313, and whatever else Lucasart might have done, was canceled. Not sure what is hard to grasp on that.

Yeah I guess it's an unprovable counter factual we would have gotten even less Star Wars games had there been no deal, it just doesn't seem very likely to me at all.

It wouldn't have to be Games Workshop levels of license flogging but I could easily see a half dozen or so more developers and publishers pick up Star Wars projects across a wider group of genres than EA is a capable of producing.

The Star Wars license and prior catalogue of games seems to lend itself much more readily to that than the Avengers.

Seems like the rebrand is a step in that direction hopefully!
1313 died because Disney wanted to get out of the gaming industry, not because EA took the licence, it would likely have died regardless of publisher or if Disney didn't even make a deal, they didn't want to make games at all. And again, I don't think as many publishers would jump at making Star Wars game as much as you think, Star Wars has a 20% cut

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
1313 died because Disney wanted to get out of the gaming industry, not because EA took the licence, it would likely have died regardless of publisher or if Disney didn't even make a deal, they didn't want to make games at all. And again, I don't think as many publishers would jump at making Star Wars game as much as you think, Star Wars has a 20% cut

I think plenty of developers would have jumped at the chance, I think the limitation would be that Disney would only be interested in AAA titles which is probably why they went with EA.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Ultimately developers make games, not publishers. It's no surprise that two of the best Star Wars gaming properties have come from BioWare and Respawn.

An exclusive license just means a limit on the number of top-tier studios that can work on Star Wars at any one time, particularly when you factor in that those studios are likely working on their own IP, too. It's clear that Disney and LucasFilm see the future of Star Wars as multiple timelines, character sets and stories within that universe, and I don't think an exclusive licensing deal will fulfil those ambitions on the gaming side quite like they're planned within other mediums.

Jul 24, 2018
Feels like Star Wars is going full circle back to where it was after the Prequel films released. I certainly hope this means we'll get some good quality Star Wars titles like back then.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
So if they don't go for AAA and they don't go for indie, who do they go to? The AA industry is only just starting to recover recently and still aren't that strong so how can they afford the 20% cut either?

Oh there are definitely middle tier developers who would have developed a Star Wars branded game in the past decade.

Otherwise why even give EA exclusivity if the economics don't work for anybody else.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Disney is never going to handle the IP to an indie studio or to someone smaller without a big publisher funding the project, good luck with that.

Disney wants nothing to do with all the funding/development/marketing/QA stuff, that's why they killed their gaming division, they just want the profits and having creative control over what are the studio actually making using the SW IP.

Oh there are definitely middle tier developers who would have developed a Star Wars branded game in the past decade.

This was before Disney, now Disney wants everything to be canon and they have a strict control on the IP.

Telltale making a STAR WARS story is going to be HELL for the studio compared to something like The Walking Dead, Batman or Fables where they had full creative freedom.

Otherwise why even give EA exclusivity if the economics don't work for anybody else.

Because EA had the cash
Because EA had a story with SW games (SWTOR)
Because EA is a major publisher

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Because it was really between the three big AAA publishers and even after the deal was made and EA got a new CEO, there were apparently debates within EA if the deal was that good or worth it? The idea that there's a lot of developers/publishers chomping at the bit to make a Star Wars game is debatable

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Because EA had the cash
Because EA had a story with SW games (SWTOR)
Because EA is a major publisher

So why do they need exclusivity if no one else is capable of doing it?

Because it was really between the three big AAA publishers and even after the deal was made and EA got a new CEO, there were apparently debates within EA if the deal was that good or worth it? The idea that there's a lot of developers/publishers chomping at the bit to make a Star Wars game is debatable

EA needed exclusivity because they weren't sure it was a good deal? I don't quite follow.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Ok so why do they need exclusivity for core games.

That's why.

"We had a long relationship obviously with Lucas on the original Star Wars, and when Disney took over Lucas, they really wanted to maintain a video game business around Star Wars," Jorgensen explained during an appearance at the UBS Global Technology Conference. "They came to us because of our partnership and they knew that we could help them develop really great games, and we struck what we believe is a fantastic deal, which allows us to be able to build games in many different genres across multiple types of platforms over 10 years, and we'll leverage the strength of the Disney marketing associated with the Star Wars properties both in movies and other things that they may do over the timeframe."

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Do many people think things will be much different if the license is given elsewhere? Didn't a lot of the troubles with JFO (and this part iis me speculating) and cancelled projects come from the fact that Lucasfilms demand that everything be canon moving forward?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

Sorry but this doesn't really answer why EA would need exclusivity if no one else is capable of making these games.

In truth the reason EA would need exclusivity is the same reason they need it for the NFL and FIFA licenses; so other developers cannot make games based on the license to compete with them.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Do many people think things will be much different if the license if given elsewhere? Didn't a lot of the troubles with JFO (and this part iis me speculating) and cancelled projects come from the fact that Lucasfilms demand that everything be canon moving forward?

That rule is why I think that many developers/publishers won't bother with it, because it stiffles creative freedom way too much. Imagine prototyping something and then Disney coming in and sayin "Nope", because the game doesn't abide by that stupid rule. Not only would that be a huge waste of time, but it also would be a money sink to these devs/pubs.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Sorry but this doesn't really answer why EA would need exclusivity if no one else is capable of making these games.

In truth the reason EA would need exclusivity is the same reason they need it for the NFL and FIFA licenses; so other developers cannot make games based on the license to compete with them.

No shit? Disney went to them and EA agreed and they obviously paid money to have the license exclusively. That's how exclusive deals work.

And again, this deal didn't stop Warner Bors and TT to make LEGO Star Wars games or the VR titles made by other studios or Zynga mobile games.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
No shit? Disney went to them and EA agreed and they obviously paid money to have the license exclusively. That's how exclusive deals work.

Ok well for clarification you quoted me discussing with someone arguing other developers couldn't make Star Wars games which I don't think is necessarily true, which is why I made the point EA must have asked for the exclusivity for a reason.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

And again, this deal didn't stop Warner Bors and TT to make LEGO Star Wars games or the VR titles made by other studios or Zynga mobile games.
And as I mentioned earlier in the thread when EA got a new CEO they questioned if it had been actually a good idea to spend so much money tieing themselves to such an expensive IP when they had actually started more trying to invest in their own IP's -something the majority of AAA publishers have been doing too

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of discussion about this but I can't find the answer within it:

Does this mean that (shit) EA deal is now over?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Exclusivity agreements are bullshit and the whole criticism of Disney for making a 10 year deal with only EA being allowed to make Star Wars games is bad business.

Pretty much this.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, the deal is until 2023.

But they are going to release more Star Wars games even if they don't have the exclusivity.
Yeah that's fine.

I'd just love to see a world where any dev could present an idea to this "Lucasfilm Games" and have a game made. Imagine if indie devs could use the Star Wars IP?

Frig.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this signals more Star Wars games. It's the biggest brand on the planet still and the potential for something truly great will always be there.

I want a big 60 hour RPG set in the High Republic era.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
hot prediction: no studio/publi outside EA will do the games cause of the licensing, percentage money to disney and lack of freedom. it will remain an EA ip and they have studios ranging from Indie to AAA.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The approach to licensed games these days is very different than it was at the time. The reason why we got so many Star Wars games during the 2000s was that devs could do a lot without worrying too much about canon, and there were movie tie-ins as well. Nowadays, every Star Wars game has to be canon, every game asset has to be approved by Lucasfilm Games, and more.

This rebranding is not at all related to the EA/Star Wars contract. Lucasfilm had a group of people working on the games' licenses and greenlighting stuff, but they now have an official name, and can license more than Star Wars games. Indiana Jones is the first step, and maybe we'll see more as they have quite a few interesting franchises to use (Monkey Island please).