• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So we stop criticising and "memeing" EA for when the games are bad, bland or full of loot boxes/Microtransactions? 🤔

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is the EA contract over & is this just a rebranding of EA Star Wars games?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Makes sense. In addition, I am sure the EA branding was doing more damage to the Star Wars IP than helping it...hence why Lucasfilm decided not to renew their expensive contract with EA...

I wonder what EA thinks of this...no more Disney $$$$

EA Star Wars license lasts until 2023

Even if they don't have the exclusivity they will keep making Star Wars games, Jedi Fallen Order is a franchise for EA and they still have other stuff coming too

EA Star Wars games were way more successful than a lot of old SW titles.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Only Star Wars game I'm interested in for the foreseeable future is the new LEGO Star Wars.

Really hope Disney licenses the license out to more than just one publisher once the EA deal expires. They've been SO slow at putting out games, and as someone who isn't interested in multiplayer that makes Fallen Order the only one I had any interest in for an entire generation.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Should have rebranded it back to Lucas Arts.
6XsDKXJAC59HX36395axKA.jpg

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I believe in one of the other KOTOR threads Jason mentioned that the long-rumoured remake wasn't being developed by EA.

Obviously as others have said this doesn't mean an early termination of the EA contract, in fact it shows a lot of EA properties and logos within the sizzle, but it does open the door to a future where Lucasfilm Games have a bunch of projects in development with different partners, rather than under one roof. Which would make a lot of sense.

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Please let the license expire and let Star Wars be developed by anyone.

EA completely squandered the license this gen

SW Battlefront 1 and 2 releases were horrible.. But current BF 2, Fallen Order and Squadrons are excellent games. If they keep that quality up, they can renew the license in my opinion. But it will depend on what they release up until 2023.

Lucasarts licensing games sounds interesting as well though.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
On Disney/lucasfilm strict control, apparently, they really didnt want Respawn to do a game about Jedis, given how they were "sacred" to SW, at one point, the game wasnt going to use the word "jedi" in the game, only "force users" and that was for a linear, story driven game

So i dont think we will see a big scale RPG like Kotor anytime soon

EDIT: Found a source
www.gamesradar.com

Lucasfilm wanted Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to be a very different game at first

"You might as well ask us to start building a racing game at this point"

"I pitched, 'Hey, what if we do a game about Jedi and Force powers?' And they were not super comfortable with that. They kind of threw it back and were like, 'What about blasters, and maybe bounty hunters?' I was like, that's not the background of the team that we built. You might as well ask us to start building a racing game at this point. I don't think anybody's really gonna be happy with the results of that.

Oct 28, 2017
Having Disney "celebrating" Star Wars games is a bit rich considering they gutted LucasArts.

I do think EA will still make Star Wars, as they seem to do well for them. Honestly, I'd rather have DICE and Respawn work on their own IP.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
EA Star Wars license lasts until 2023

Even if they don't have the exclusivity they will keep making Star Wars games, Jedi Fallen Order is a franchise for EA and they still have other stuff coming too

EA Star Wars games were way more successful than a lot of old SW titles.
So if the license expires in 2023, does that mean other game companies can begin working on Star Wars titles and can release them right after 2023? Ord are other studios not even allowed to begin development until after 2023?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
So if the license expires in 2023, does that mean other game companies can begin working on Star Wars titles and can release them right after 2023? Ord are other studios not even allowed to begin development until after 2023?

We don't know.

EA might renew the license once again or Disney can have other devs making games but so far it's only EA games until 2023 (LEGO games are the exception)

Seeing how well SW games did to EA I think they will keep making them even if they don't have the exclusivity but they will absolutely start a bidding war if a major publishers is interested.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine this is probably just the Lucasfilm/Star Wars version of the Marvel Games label. Marvel Games negotiates with individual game publishers to license their properties for development. This is how we get Spider-Man published by Sony and The Avengers published by Square Enix, and the mobile games being developed by totally separate entities. Based on the success of some of those different games, I definitely bet this is the direction they're taking with Star Wars after that exclusive license expires. That way, EA/Respawn can keep making Jedi Fallen Order games, and maybe the Motive Star Wars projects or Battlefront games will continue at EA, WB Games can keep doing LEGO, but it opens up the license to other publishers, too. Wouldn't be surprised to see Xbox or Sony try to get one of their studios on an exclusive Star Wars game, tbh, after how much insane business Spider-Man has done.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
The games published by EA arent dropping the EA branding, they're even on the linked video

This is just the equivalent to what Marvel Games has had for a while. A division responsible for licensing, producing and helping advertise the games based on these IP

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Possible rebranding before Nvidia's event tomorrow - could be nothing.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Please make different and funny animated logos for each game. That's all I ask.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
We don't know.

EA might renew the license once again or Disney can have other devs making games but so far it's only EA games until 2023 (LEGO games are the exception)

Seeing how well SW games did to EA I think they will keep making them even if they don't have the exclusivity but they will absolutely start a bidding war if a major publishers is interested.

I don't think we're going to be seeing too many more "bidding wars", when it would probably be more fitting to just make it open season for devs to come to them with prospects, and then possibly seeing if any of the major platform holders are interested in partnerships. Not unlike how we got Spider-man PS4 and MUA3 on Switch.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On Disney/lucasfilm strict control, apparently, they really didnt want Respawn to do a game about Jedis, given how they were "sacred" to SW, at one point, the game wasnt going to use the word "jedi" in the game, only "force users" and that was for a linear, story driven game

So i dont think we will see a big scale RPG like Kotor anytime soon

EDIT: Found a source
www.gamesradar.com

Lucasfilm wanted Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to be a very different game at first

"You might as well ask us to start building a racing game at this point"

"I pitched, 'Hey, what if we do a game about Jedi and Force powers?' And they were not super comfortable with that. They kind of threw it back and were like, 'What about blasters, and maybe bounty hunters?' I was like, that's not the background of the team that we built. You might as well ask us to start building a racing game at this point. I don't think anybody's really gonna be happy with the results of that.
Yep. As long as Lucasfilm Games goes for canon-only games, KotOR won't happen.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There's no chance of a "new KotoR" these days, regardless of who owns the license. That setting and those characters are in the canonicity limbo of maybe being brought back in the same way Thrawn was (same personality, totally different stories).

I could genuinely see an RPG being made set in the same setting as the new High Republic novels/comics/manga, though. I wouldn't be surprised if such a project is part of the impetus behind this move, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
Give me Battlefront III with Mando and Rebels content or give me death.

EA did it so badly,

If you give people the characters that absolutely should be in day 1,
Obi-Wan
Anakin
Yoda
Maul
Dooku
Palpatine
Han
Luke
Leia
Vader
Boba

Then i'd have been perfectly fine with EA selling secondary and side characters
Ahsoka
Dengar
Bossk
Chewie
Thrawn
Sabine
Cad Bane
Rex
Hera
Jango
Ezra
Kanan
Bo-Katan

Honestly i'd have paid $20 each for some of them.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Who is this person? They sound uninformed. I highlighted the exact reason why EA's output has been so minimal and why future AAA publishers would likely be wary of partnering with Disney/Lucasfilm. Those canned titles were partly the result of Disney's strict control of the IP. I really don't see Disney loosening restrictions on the IP anytime soon. That's also why I'm wary any KOTOR remake is happening.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Good, please let this be the end of EA-only SW games.

Also please don't let their obsession with all new merchandise being 'canon' get in the way of making new games. That policy has been a huge mistake.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Who is this person? They sound uninformed. I highlighted the exact reason why EA's output has been so minimal and why future AAA publishers would likely be wary of partnering with Disney/Lucasfilm. Those canned titles were partly the result of Disney's strict control of the IP. I really don't see Disney loosening restrictions on the IP anytime soon. That's also why I'm wary any KOTOR remake is happening.
A credible insider that other insiders trust a lot as well as a StarWars.com contributor

Star Wars News | StarWars.com

Visit StarWars.com to get the all latest news and updates, and test your knowledge with fun quizzes!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
A credible insider that other insiders trust a lot as well as a StarWars.com contributor

Star Wars News | StarWars.com

Visit StarWars.com to get the all latest news and updates, and test your knowledge with fun quizzes!

I'm not seeing how they have inside knowledge as to the business relationship between EA and Disney/Lucasfilm. Why would LFL be concerned about EA's output when they themselves have rejected pitches and had to be convinced to allow Respawn to make a Jedi focused lightsaber game? It makes no sense.

EA: We'd like to do X?

LFL: No.

EA: Okay, how about Y?

LFL: Absolutely not. How about instead a nice Z?

EA: Are you going to help fund development or marketing?

LFL: Hahaha, don't be silly.

EA: Okay, we pass.

LFL: OMG! WHY AREN'T YOU MAKING MORE GAMES FOR US!?!?!

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing how they have inside knowledge as to the business relationship between EA and Disney/Lucasfilm. Why would LFL be concerned about EA's output when they themselves have rejected pitches and had to be convinced to allow Respawn to make a Jedi focused lightsaber game? It makes no sense.

This response would assume we know the full story wouldn't it? What you're saying isn't wrong but there's still so much we probably don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if EA is constantly approaching studios to work on Star Wars and it just doesn't work out for a variety of reasons not including Lucasfilm

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Not calling it LucasArts actually feels like it could be a sign of respect to the defunct developers, to be honest. LucasArts was adored, and their games still are. Slapping their name onto something that isn't actually their rebirth would be disingenuous. It'd be like if Disney killed Pixar but then started referring to all their outsourced animated films as Pixar films.

If we're all daydreaming I really hope we see rereleases of Rogue Squadron 2 + 3, Super Empire + Super Jedi, and spiritual successors to each released soon.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I don't know if that's the reason why EA isn't doing more Star Wars games (seem a bit reductionist), but I'll agree that Disney's approach in making everything canon is tiresome for the franchise as a whole. When everything is canon, the lines are blurred into a gigantic, very hard to follow, multimedia franchise - which Star Wars has been for decades, but it never was a Kingdom Hearts affair where every entry was pivotal to understanding the plot and current events.