• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

www.starwars.com

Lucasfilm Games Begins a New Era

New social channels, a sizzle reel, and more herald the bright future of Lucasfilm Games.
StarWars.com is thrilled to reveal that Lucasfilm Games is now the official identity for all gaming titles from Lucasfilm, a name that encompasses the company's rich catalog of video games and its eye toward the future. To mark this new era, Lucasfilm Games has launched social channels on Twitter (@LucasfilmGames) and Facebook (@LucasfilmGames), which will deliver breaking news and more directly to fans. You can watch a special sizzle reel celebrating the history of games from Lucasfilm below; the Lucasfilm Games logo, featured above, will appear in all future Lucasfilm Games titles.

I'm still not entirely certain what this means, honestly.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe now Lucasfilm will be publishing all the games themselves and hiring companies to make the games? 🤔

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's just the creative side of Lucasarts that helps in all the games, but I wonder if its a first step to publish their own games.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If it means we're already going to see a move towards a "Marvel Games"-like strategy, where various publishers can create games for a variety of hardware, I'm all for it.

EA's 10 year monopoly on the Star Wars brand can't expire fast enough!

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean its hard to see any way EA would be ok with this if they were still a part of it so it sounds like the deal is dead.

I'll be honest, I'm surprised they let them have it this long.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm assuming that this will be the logo that will 'roll' after the EA logo at the start of the game.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They are not dropping the EA Brand.

They are renaming the LucasArts branch related to the SW games and that's it.

EA STAR WARS title will keep using the EA Brand.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any clue how many players The Old Republic has these days? Always shocked when I remember it is alive still.

Diablo Rosso

Apr 18, 2018
If they're going the Marvel strategy of licensing the IP out to different publishers then it makes sense. Maybe Ron Gilbert can get Monkey Island. I know he said he wanted to buy but I doubt Disney will sell.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Not sure what channels they are talking about, but unless I am blind, these have existed for years?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Might as well call it "Star Wars Games"

Thought it was always quite cool that Lucasarts expanded beyond those IPs.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Huh? The first logo shown in that trailer still displays the EA logo, as does every subsequent EA developed game. Your thread title isn't at all correct unless I'm missing something.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
From what I remember, EA have the license until 2023 bar something really surprising happening (and I mean REALLY if they didn't take it away post-Battlefront II). I wonder if this hints at their plans to go the Marvel Games route of licensing individual games. This could also be the work of John Drake who left PlayStation to go work on video game licensing for Disney.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Please let the license expire and let Star Wars be developed by anyone.

EA completely squandered the license this gen

I doubt a lot of AAA studios would want to work with Disney/Lucasfilm once they see the licensing fee and strict oversight they would have to undergo while developing the title. Unless Lucasfilm drops their "everything is canon" and "we must approve everything" approach then even if EA's license exclusivity isn't renewed I don't see a lot of developers lining up to pitch SW titles.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Maybe now Lucasfilm will be publishing all the games themselves and hiring companies to make the games? 🤔

I don't get why they didn't do this to begin with.

Make Lucasarts/Lucasfilm Games a central hub and allow developers to pitch concepts while working in tandem with Lucasfilm and Kennedy to make certain continuity isn't fucked with.

Imagine giving not only large developers but smaller indies the chance to make SW games.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I doubt a lot of AAA studios would want to work with Disney/Lucasfilm once they see the licensing fee and strict oversight they would have to undergo while developing the title. Unless Lucasfilm drops their "everything is canon" and "we must approve everything" approach then even if EA's license exclusivity isn't renewed I don't see a lot of developers lining up to pitch SW titles.

Bingo.

People will always miss this point. Disney is extremely protective and everything has to be canon and they need permission for literally everything and without a publisher backing the project Disney is never going to reach out to an indipendent developer and fund his game because they don't want to. They killed their gaming division for this reason.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This just means the games division has a new (old) name, which is Lucasfilm Games.

There are still Star Wars games being made at EA.

Oct 25, 2017

That is true. The stuff Jason Schrier shared regarding the canned visceral game makes it sound like a very difficult process to make Star Wars games. But I would hope for more variety than EA only putting out 5 Star Wars games with multiple cancelations and 2 of those games having serious issues at launch

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lucasarts is better, lucasfilms games lol
I just discovered that LucasArts used to be called Lucasfilm games from 1982-1990

QMwT8aD.gif

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

I think what's going to set the tone is once we see what eventually this means for the likes of the rumored "KOTOR remake" and the like.

If we can get proof positive that Lucasfilm is okay with games that are allowed to do their own thing, but are either a) localized within their own niche and/or b) eventually have distinct "canon" paths that will only minimally affect what goes on in the universe in the rest of timeline, it may not matter as much.

For example, as far as the new SW canon is concerned, Revan was only just a "Sith Lord that existed in the past". Whatever the hell else that means for the universe is left up to question.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The timing kinda lines up for this to be a thing that'll start appearing with Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, a game without EA involvement, so it makes sense.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I despise what they did to AC, I still maintain that we would have at least 2 or 3 open world star wars games had ubisoft got the license.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All I'm saying is that this a credible insider saying this: