• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The JJ cut is the equivalent of Godfather, free the footage Disney!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Disney sabotaging the cinema release so they can release the actual movie later, in an attempt to get more money.

Nah, that'd be insane.
It's only "sabotaging" if you buy into the dumb conspiracy theory. It's a bad movie, and I doubt editing "ruined it", quite the opposite probably.

Giving people a cut with unfinished scenes in return for big chunk of money might become a nice way to get additional money.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
The movie is his cut. He wrote a bloated, convoluted script, hacked away at it until he had 2 hours of footage and then redid some key parts in a panic right before the movie came out.

Yes, the circumstances of this production were very challenging but this is the film JJ Abrams made in those circumstances. Circumstances in which he agreed to work. The idea that some shadowy Disney executives are the ones responsible for the final cut, is absurd. Making a great film on such a tight schedule and with a massive hole in the story where Carrie Fisher was supposed to be, was going to be an almost impossible task even for a truly great director. JJ simply wasn't up to it.
Sure. I doubt anyone could have really made this work for everybody. As for Disney overruling a director; seems wild bit wouldn't suprise me much to he honest. If such a thing would be true then i wouldn't mind seeing the director's cut. It won't save the movie in any way though.

Anyway, i had my fun with the movie. Some great visuals and some great audio. Star Wars movies were never great movies. And always with the dumbest levels of humor imagineable so even slow Uncle Billie can have a laugh.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Haven't even watched the film, but this one may just be the greatest one ever made.

Loving all of the social drama that is coming in relation to it. :)

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I really buy here is that the nonsense idea that IX had to close out both the ST and the trilogy of trilogies (which doesn't even make any damn sense as the PT and the OT have clearly defined endings that wrap everything up) was a Disney mandated move. It's also the single biggest issue with TROS.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The only thing I really buy here is that the nonsense idea that IX had to close out both the ST and the trilogy of trilogies (which doesn't even make any damn sense as the PT and the OT have clearly defined endings that wrap everything up) was a Disney mandated move. It's also the single biggest issue with TROS.

I think it's more that due to the schedule and JJ's own lack of imagination, bringing back Palpatine was an easy choice. No doubt the story they had planned when Carrie Fisher was alive had to be completely thrown out and another rehash of the OT was straightforward and something that both JJ and Disney probably thought the reddit mob wanted after TLJ.

Oct 25, 2017
Get in line. I'm still waiting for the fabled extended cuts of The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith. Even if they existed we'll still never get them.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Babba Frek was bloody amazing.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like nobody is talking about the actual issues with the film and none of these 'leaks' or whatever really hit what's wrong with it that just cutting it differently won't fix.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
If anything this film needed more cuts. There were far too many characters introduced and plot threads. More Jannah, Zorii Bliss, and Lando would only bog this film down even further. Scenes explicitly making Fin force sensitive only makes this film even more of a Return of the Jedi imitation. If possible, anything regarding C3PO getting his mind wiped should be killed. Skip that droid shop planet. Chewie dies. Have Anthony Daniels ADR new dialogue.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man, what a convenient list of excuses that absolve JJ of all blame and make him look like a tragic hero. There's certainly no agenda at work behind that Reddit post. Nope. Not one.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more that due to the schedule and JJ's own lack of imagination, bringing back Palpatine was an easy choice. No doubt the story they had planned when Carrie Fisher was alive had to be completely thrown out and another rehash of the OT was straightforward and something that both JJ and Disney probably thought the reddit mob wanted after TLJ.
Yeah sure, an acclaimed director that has overseen the creative return of three big franchises "lacks imagination." Do you realize how pathetic and small-minded such a statement comes across?

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
This whole thing is a crazy example of how information works these days. A unsourced rumor from a shitty toxic subreddit comes out with absolutely no evidence that just happens to line up perfectly with that subreddit's biases. Most people realize that the source is terrible, so they ignore it. Some people, however, latch on to it and retweet it, often in the form of pictures that strip out the source. Now the information is out there on twitter divorced from the original context, so people see it without realizing that the source of all of it is terrible. Twitter has effectively laundered it to the point where plenty of people will see tweets about it, think its some legit thing and not realize where everything is coming from.

This could all be true, God knows I know nothing about it, but it's scary how a guy on a really shitty subreddit with a clear agenda can just post something without any evidence and a day later a bunch of people are treating it like some legitimate news.

Jan 29, 2018
This whole thing is a crazy example of how information works these days. A unsourced rumor from a shitty toxic subreddit comes out with absolutely no evidence that just happens to line up perfectly with that subreddit's biases. Most people realize that the source is terrible, so they ignore it. Some people, however, latch on to it and retweet it, often in the form of pictures that strip out the source. Now the information is out there on twitter divorced from the original context, so people see it without realizing that the source of all of it is terrible. Twitter has effectively laundered it to the point where plenty of people will see tweets about it, think its some legit thing and not realize where everything is coming from.

This could all be true, God knows I know nothing about it, but it's scary how a guy on a really shitty subreddit with a clear agenda can just post something without any evidence and a day later a bunch of people are treating it like some legitimate news.

Yep. People's "news" literacy is terrible. Dude offers no evidence they're actually in an insider position and has a laundry list of explanations that form a palatable narrative for a certain audience.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I agree that Disney meddled and wouldn't be surprised if this is what he didn't want but I am far from expecting a separate cut. If there was a cut, I have doubt that it is good. It is still JJ afterall.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
You want Leia resurrected by tribbles?

Because this is how you get Leia resurrected by tribbles.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For further clarification, this "movement" is primarily stemming from two groups: Reylos, who are convinced there exists an alternate ending where Ben lives, and Prequel Stans, who are convinced there is an alternate cut of the movie where Hayden Christensen appears as Force ghost Anakin (they claim the Han Solo scene is a reshoot of a scene where Anakin convinces Ben to turn back). The fake SaltierThanCrait post is an attempt to pander to both groups.

There exists no credible evidence that any of this actually exists. JediPaxis, the 99% reliable leaker who has been spilling TROS plot details for six months, never had any version of the movie where Hayden appeared or Ben survived, even before the September reshoots. Several other credible Star Wars insiders, like Jason Ward, have also confirmed that none of this has any basis in reality.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Yeah sure, an acclaimed director that has overseen the creative return of three big franchises "lacks imagination." Do you realize how pathetic and small-minded such a statement comes across?
JJ is a good starter of franchises, but as far as writing goes ...
JJ & Terrio garanteed this was doomed from the start.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
With the rushed production any cut scenes are likely to not have finished effects work so it'd be unwatchable anyway.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, this thread again. Let's check to see if that subreddit this comes from is still the massive shithole it appeared to be yesterday.... yep! This is definitely definitely all real!

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could be true, it could not be true no one really knows. If there are lots of scenes that were cut like Rose with Rey or something then it would be nice to see them. I loved TROS and I was satisfied with it so im good either way.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
From all the reports of people working on the film, it sounds like this was being made down to the wire with not enough time. There likely was never another cut, this is just what they pushed out with the time they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.