• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
This is going to be the fanserviest thing to ever fanservice

I blame all of you for complaining about The Last Jedi so much

Seriously. I loved The Las Jedi. I feel what could have been a great different end to the Skywalker saga will turn into a fan service film. I'm still going to watch it day 1, but will it get my return visits?

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
I don't think they would showcase that voice very clearly at the end of the trailer and bring McDiarmid on stage for something as insignificant as a found recording. I don't think Sheev will be a huge part of the movie, but it's got to be more significant than that, otherwise why play it up like this?
It'll definitely be a recording

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
It's gonna end with Kylo and Rey teaming up to fight the Emperor. Kylo will get his big redemption and die. Rey will take on the Skywalker name to carry on the legacy or whatever.

Book it.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
That was a really meh trailer, even more meh title. There's like only 1 plotline where I'd be okay with that, but even then. Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has to be the most underwhelming Star Wars trailer ever. Literally 2 minutes of "it's fucking nothing". Wonderful.

"The Rise of Skywalker" is a bullshit name. I don't even like The Last Jedi, but I loved the audacity of its ideas, it was the execution I took issue with. Now they are throwing, apparently, the only good thing about that movie out. Fantastic.

Palpatine laugh got me intrigued somewhat, for what it's worth. But overall, the issue is that that Star Wars has defined itself with respect to nostalgia ever sicne Disney bought them- either entirely for (TFA), or against (TLJ), and this trailer does the exact same thing. It has no effect on me anymore.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this I really wish JJ did the entire thing.

The Last Jedi is jarring in contrast with what RJ tried doing that it doesn't feel like it slots in nicely in the middle of this trilogy.

Let him do his own trilogy but this one fits in closer to Force Awakens.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And seriously Palpatine?

In his defence, Palpatine is deeply connected to the Skywalkers. I guess if this is the farewell tour for the Skywalker bloodline, having him involved somehow makes sense.

I doubt he's coming back to life or anything like that, but it's entirely possible Snoke was a failed clone of Palpatine and there are more out there hidden away in the Unknown Regions.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Could it be any more obvious that "Skywalker" is going to be a new category of force users? And yet people still whining that this means Luke is Rey's dad or some nonsense.

If they spend screen time explaining power levels and midiclorians and shit, I'm gonna laugh out loud in the theater.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were really dumb to not have planned out this trilogy, or ar least have had JJ do all three.

They should have just used George's ideas in the first place...he was never a bad director or storyteller he just had waaay to much freedom and no one to call him out on legitimately dumn ideas with the prequels whereas he was constrained by technology in the OT and also mentors who could tell him NO.

Anyways it seems like TLJ was more or less in tune with his concepts and some of the stuff in this trailer is too apparently.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I really think people should be wary with that "retcon TLJ" stuff until you've seen the movie and it really IS a retcon.

Rey taking the Skywalker name, or using it as a title for a new balanced force user is IMO more likely than her being a blood-related Skywalker.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing

The Last Jedi alienated half the fanbase, particularly many OT purists, irredeemably
The Rise of Skywalker will now probably alienate the other half of the fanbase who actually liked TLJ

Truly the darkest timeline
Just like the prequels killed Star Wars, right? Don`t mix up the whole fan base with some ever-salty manchildren that only watch their original VHS tapes of unaltered Original Trilogy and hate on everything that deviates from that.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
That title is horrible. Who thought it was a good idea.

Oct 25, 2017
It rules that it seems like the prevailing thought on TLJ was that it was like a mgs2 tier swerve and not just a slapshod hail Mary to spice something up without any real plan and with the follow up being made by the king of safe and comfortable

What a series

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
think all the people saying that Rey dissolves the Jedi and starts a new order called the Skywalkers to honor the legacy of Luke/Leia are right on the money. in which case, just going with "Rise of the Skywalkers" would've been a better sounding name but ah well

anyway I'm just here to see my favs Rey, Finn, and Poe do their thing. love that they're going on a big adventure together

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, she can literally fly, or "sky walk", hence the title, she is rising up literally to walk in the sky. It is genius for all can understand it instantly.

tenor.gif

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty but I'm going to leave the hype train in the station for now. After all ...

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

13747.jpg
"

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Rey saved some of them but it was a whole library of stuff.

Sorry, but it's literally the one shelf surrounded by the tree.

Though I realise that's getting pedantic about the matter when yes, the core of that scene is about the need for Luke specifically to let go. Because this is not his story anymore, and he needs to stop clinging to the idea that the fate of the galaxy rests with him and him alone (among other things).

Though that does beg the question of who the Skywalker in the title is. Ren redemption arc? Honorary title for Rey? Secret clone? All of the above?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm guessing Papa Palpatine figured out how to reincarnate himself, and that was Snoke. Which is actually pretty cool. Guessing he comes back again in a better reincarnation of himself. Kylo turns back and helps Rey defeat him permanently somehow.

So basically Palpatine created the Skywalker lineage that would ultimately end up defeating him, which really is the Sith way but the apprentice this time turns his back on the dark side instead of embracing it.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Kylo is the Skywalker. He will kill Palpatine (lol) for good

Or

Kylo and Rey make babies, and some kind of timeloop happens where Rey/Kylo get sent back in time with the babies and thus is the first "Skywalker". Then 1000 generations of inbred skywalkers happens which is why the jedi order is so fucked up.
It writes itself.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Oh god, I just had a little theory that popped up in my head.

What if 'Skywalker' is actually going to replace the moniker of 'Jedi', hence Rise of Skywalker?

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Love that there are so many people panicking to find things to hate on, like trying to let go and be excited for something for even a moment is way too vulnerable of a feeling, "I CANNOT like a Star Wars thing! How dare the!".

Trailer made me hyped, not going to be able to handle the Carrie Fisher scenes.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Worse title - Rise of Skywalker or Wandavision?

Disney taking some serious Ls on naming this week

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The Rise of Skywalker.

The retcon of TLJ.

Great news.
What do you want it to retcon? Like Snoke was a body double, Rey is a daugter of a chosen one after all, Luke dying was just an illusion within an illusion? Wouldn't that just be as sad as Kylo Ren fixing his mask and it looking pathectic, even if you didn't like TLJ surely it'd be better to just move on, build on what they have and better spend the time resolving the current heroes' arcs, the retcons would just make the overall story look more hollow like Kylo's mask.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke is goku
sheev is freeza

Episodes VII and VIII were the "gohan goes to high school" arc

sorry rey