• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
It's just weird that like 30% of the internet has decided to love a movie in which the mother of Luke and Leia dies of sadness after childbirth and where it puts Anakin in the Darth Vader suit because he decided to jump directly above Obi-Wan's lightsaber instead of just walking up the hill or like... jumping higher (Rey shows that Force-fueled jumps can get way more height than what Anakin got). Is there a lamer possible way of putting Anakin in the suit than that? Probably not...

And then there's Yoda and Palpatine's lighsaber duel and Palpatine's spinning...

Has there ever been a movie that treated its own lore this disrespectfully (seemingly unintentionally) and did so in a largely incompetent manner yet managed to be beloved by parts of the internet?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
the presence of its memes doesn't reflect how much people like it. i still assume it is a pretty divisive film with younger people enjoying it that probably grew up with it.

that being said, didn't a similar thread to this exist pretty recently about this same movie?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost entitely based on memes and nostalgia. Reddit's majority is early 20's, and they all grew up with the prequels.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really bad movie. The second worst prequel for sure.

It felt like they had the end destination they had to hit (Anakin becoming Vader) and hadn't really set that up enough in Episode2 and so rushed it and it's terrible.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because they arent suppose to care what you think of it, but of their own opinions

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing it opening weekend and thinking it was some dumb shit. But a lot of people seem to really like it even back then, I don't think the lore matters to the casual audience at large.

It was a bit less of a train wreck than the previous two films so I think it automatically scores better even though it's not really a good movie and in fact is worse in some regard as you mentioned for how it mishandled some characterizations and plot points in such epic fashion. People like what they like, I can see the appeal of it even though I don't like it myself.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Because they arent suppose to care what you think of it, but of their own opinions
3066.jpg

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Because no one cares about star wars lore, the movies are dumb fun even though the acting is fucking terrible lmao

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I just rewatched it along with the whole series and it's seriously a little staggering how much better 3 is than 1 & 2. The opening sequence alone has more character, fun and entertainment value than these entire 2 previous movies.

Obviously, Padme & Anakin scenes are still absolutely atrocious, but there are barely any in this movie. 3 consists mostly of campy, over the top action, a really fun Obi-Wan who actually has some chemistry with Anakin for the first time, special effects that don't actively hurt your eyes in 2020 and, of course, Palpatine who chews the scenery so hard that he elevates every single scene he is in.

Obviously 3 still suffers from the weaknesses the previous 2 had, but way less so because the focus is on such different things. It's not a great movie, but it's an entertaining one - at least for the most part - and with that it absolutely deserves to get recognized independent of 1 & 2, which are just atrocious debacles on nearly every level.

It's cheesy, campy and fun.. That's enough to make an entertaining Star Wars movie.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very dumb movie that is also fun to watch and has a lot of good memes.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never thought the lore was dumb. The execution of the film was a bit ehhhh (how is Palpatine gonna take out three Jedi masters one after the other as they stand their watching...), but it's the most fun Star Wars, and it took it where it needed to go.

Glad we got Rogue One too though, and the Clone Wars TV series.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone that loves episode 3 watched the clone wars cartoon (for the most part). The clone wars cartoon filled in the gap between episode 2 and 3, and make Anakins turn + his relationship with obi-wan MUCH more believable.

Is a great choice to put what I think is neccessary context in the cartoon? Of course not, but it is what is it, and it makes episode 3 one of the top star wars movies.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Episode 1 and 2 aren't even fun outside the podrace though. 3 is some fun. Some boring.

I think 1/2 are just very noble failures. They 100% don't work, but I think they have a lot of individually interesting themes/moments that make them worthwhile. I like messy movies that are aiming really high, and "weird political movies tacked onto a sci-fi massive franchise sidecar" totally qualified

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
They should have just had Anakin accidentally fatally hurt Padme instead of "dying of a broken heart" after giving birth to two children and still believing there was good in Anakin.

I know it is a real thing but wow, it is stupid.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
It's just weird that like 30% of the internet has decided to love a movie in which the mother of Luke and Leia dies of sadness after childbirth and where it puts Anakin in the Darth Vader suit because he decided to jump directly above Obi-Wan's lightsaber instead of just walking up the hill or like... jumping higher (Rey shows that Force-fueled jumps can get way more height than what Anakin got). Is there a lamer possible way of putting Anakin in the suit than that? Probably not...

And then there's Yoda and Palpatine's lighsaber duel and Palpatine's spinning...

Has there ever been a movie that treated its own lore this disrespectfully (seemingly unintentionally) and did so in a largely incompetent manner yet managed to be beloved by parts of the internet?

Characters dying of sadness is actually pretty reasonable considering, in Episodes 7-9, characters seem to
die from casually overexerting themselves.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
15 years later the nostalgia kicks in big time. It was one of the defining films for those growing up in the 2000s. And the memes are fantastic.

It is still, in fact, the absolute drizzling shits.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
They should have just had Anakin accidentally fatally hurt Padme instead of "dying of a broken heart" after giving birth to two children and still believing there was good in Anakin.

I know it is a real thing but wow, it is stupid.

That and removing Anakin killing everyone at the end of AotC would have made the series alone a lot better...

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
It's a dumb but still very entertaining movie unlike the movies that came before

Oct 27, 2017
It's the best of the PT, a fun movie in its own right and provides a relatively satisfying bridge between old Star Wars and new(ish).

At this point, if you're sat trying to over analyse plot holes or inconsistencies in this dumb as shit franchise then that's your problem, not that of any one movie or director.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone that loves episode 3 watched the clone wars cartoon (for the most part). The clone wars cartoon filled in the gap between episode 2 and 3, and make Anakins turn + his relationship with obi-wan MUCH more believable.

Is a great choice to put what I think is neccessary context in the cartoon? Of course not, but it is what is it, and it makes episode 3 one of the top star wars movies.
It's hard for me to even connect clone wars to the movie because the characters...mainly anakin, feel so different. Anakin in clone wars is this great leader and warrior described by obiwan in a new hope. Eide range of emotions and dynamic. I can't connect that to "I don't like sand" "you're so....beautiful", etc.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, 3 was stupid but entertaining. I yet have to see TRoS but the current run of movies is kinda boring.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I literally rewatched it over the weekend (along with Solo & Rogue One) and still really enjoy it. It's easily better than the first two.

There's dumb shit in the OG trilogy too 🤷‍♂️

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best of the PT, a fun movie in its own right and provides a relatively satisfying bridge between old Star Wars and new(ish).

At this point, if you're sat trying to over analyse plot holes or inconsistencies in this dumb as shit franchise then that's your problem, not that of any one movie or director.
The plot and all those aspects were made to be the main aspect of the prequels though. That's the difference. No one cared about that for the OT because people loved those characters and plots.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I literally rewatched it over the weekend (along with Solo & Rogue One) and still really enjoy it. It's easily better than the first two.

There's dumb shit in the OG trilogy too 🤷‍♂️
There is, but people ignore dumb stuff when you don't have entire scenes in a giant senet room and exposition of said dumb stuff.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

None of what you said was disrespecting it's lore lol.

The only thing it ever contradicted was Leia's line in RoTJ about her mother.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It's almost entitely based on memes and nostalgia. Reddit's majority is early 20's, and they all grew up with the prequels.
the presence of its memes doesn't reflect how much people like it. i still assume it is a pretty divisive film with younger people enjoying it that probably grew up with it.

that being said, didn't a similar thread to this exist pretty recently about this same movie?

Resetera is mostly 30 year olds and the poll here says that 2/3 of the people here like ROTS and only 1/3 dislike it.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
where it puts Anakin in the Darth Vader suit because he decided to jump directly above Obi-Wan's lightsaber instead of just walking up the hill or like... jumping higher
While it may have been kinda silly from an in universe perspective, in a cinematic sense it was a cool callback/parallel to Phantom Menace's sequence between Obi Wan and Maul