• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you believe The Leak or not

• It's true all of it.

Votes: 834 79.4%
  • Noooo! That's not true That's impossible!

Votes: 217 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as some said. TLJ had that throne scene that felt more like some music video than an interesting fighting montage. We never got to see Snoke do something cool like Palpatine in Ep3, and also where was the lightsaber fight that would've rivaled the forest scene from TFA? Pretty unmemorable movie in terms of fights IMO. Lots of other things I liked in it. I loved the Force Connection scene with Rey and Kylo, but the movie was too soured by Rian's ways of working completely against the outline set by TFA.
Snoke nonchalantly zapping Kylo was "cooler" than any of the goofy theatrics Sheev performed in RotS.

As for the bolded, I disagree.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
oh after this shit really settle down im def making a thread about just how Star Wars fumbled the SHIT out of the diversity in these movies

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
So we can all agree that Babu Frik is the best thing in this movie, right? No one cares about D-O. Babu Frik is far better.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was more puzzled by Palpatine managing to construct 500 ships in secret underwater on a hard to reach isolated planet with unstable weather. Or maybe he just parks them there.

Yeah me too.
I immediately asked myself where he got the resources and industry needed to build and maintain a fleet like that.
A Star Destroyer has a crew size of about 37k. That's 18.5 million people just to operate the ships, add ~5 million Storm troopers, plus people operating the ship yards and all supplying industries. This planet is highly advanced, with maybe the biggest industry in the galaxy.
He did all that in just ~30 years. That's about 16 ships per year. Plus two generation of officers and troops. Damn impressive.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Luke and Leia knew Palpatine was alive all along? Could they sense him? Did force ghost Yoda know?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when everyone defended Disney wiping out the old EU because now it meant shit like Luuke was gone? Well now we got Sheeev aka Snoke in a shittier adaption of Dark Empire. Least Legends let Luke have sex before he died and Han and Leia didn't totally end up as failures.

I kept telling them that this new cannon was going to Ultimate be the Ultimate Universe to the EUs 616. :P

He made her really angry in this one, so she has flaws now!!

Good god, Rian you were too good for us

This is something that had been set up since TLJ (it's simply that TLJ didn't set it up very well). Things like Rey going 'straight to the darkside' in the cave, as well as her yelling in raw agression during the duel in Snokes throne room. This is one thing that TROS does pick up from TLJ. It's not out of nowhere, and likely was a planned beat for the middle chapter.

2k24pp4q2yc01.jpg

At the time, many people clamoured about how much they loved that part and dismissed it as being indicative of anything (even giving into agression and anger as a mechanism for falling to the DarkSide is a core element of Star Wars, but oh well)

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I was more puzzled by Palpatine managing to construct 500 ships in secret underwater on a hard to reach isolated planet with unstable weather. Or maybe he just parks them there.

Per Wookiepedia, there were only 30 Star Destroyers at Endor.

So Palpatine drained the Empire's resources to build the largest fleet of all time to park it in the middle of nowhere, wait for the Empire to collapse and reform, and be inherited either by the grandson of his treacherous Apprentice or his own son granddaughter so that he, Palpatine, can then steal their lifeforce and uuuuuuuuuuuggghhh why even bother, man.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
So, who here reckons she was always meant to be Palpatine's grand daughter?

I don't buy it. From what we know of Trevorrow's version, Palpatine wasn't in the story and Rey's parentage wasn't getting reconned. Rian killed off JJ's Emperor stand-in so JJ just brought back the Emperor himself. Then he connected her to Rey because the story needed a dozen plot twists for some reason.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You know what would have made the final third instantly better for me?

Instead of thousands of Rebel / Friend ships Vs fricking hundreds of Star Destroyers? Have like four Star Destroyers Vs a dozen ships. Give the things a sense of danger. Menace. The whole cannon fodder approach is dumb and it felt absolutely weightless.

The mantra of less is more applies throughout coupled with the pacing. The first 10 minutes of Ben meeting Palps and then the Falcon lightspeeding through like 7 locales was barmy and not in a good way. The planet section where Poe meets his friend and they go to rewire C3PO could have been easily cut. The device to find the location of the Wayfinder when Rey was stood on the shore near Death Star II was beyond stupid - line it up Goonies style to some rocks and the outline of the DS and it points to a vague section of the crashed wreckage in high seas?

The interplay between Driver and Ridley was a shining light and they could have done with more breathing room. I'm glad Poe and Finn got to spar a bit more and their chemistry was good but some of the dialogue in those scenes....woof. Leia was slotted in well enough from the footage they had.

As mentioned before Hamill's tone seemed...off and I can't place my finger on why. I don't necessarily like the angle they took with him in TLJ but his performance at least felt focused. Here, it didn't

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I can't wait until TROS is out on blu-ray so people can make edits and replace Palpatine's voice with clips from Revenge of the Sith...

Window

Oct 27, 2017
So we can all agree that Babu Frik is the best thing in this movie, right? No one cares about D-O. Babu Frik is far better.
He got the most laughs at my screening. Him showing up at the end in the pilots seat with Poe's friend was totally some B movie comedy schlock though lmao. But it worked. It got a laugh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad that after all these years, the final film in the story is the film equivalent of SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING DARK SIDE from goddamn Family Guy.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Man Poe is such waste of Oscar Isaac. This film should have been him being the leader of resistance as it was logical progression from TFA and TLJ. He should been using a communication device to show he organising the fleet have Lando and Wedge as voice lines on the communicator then at end he brings in the fleet with Wedge and Lando only appears at end during the party. Could even have some jokes about Poe owing Lando one then at party end Lando walks away with Poe saying "now about that favour". Have Wedge as Poes flight instructor give these cameos some reason to exist and for Poe to be relevant

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Every single scene with Babu Frik had my screening laughing their asses off.

He legit stole the show, his drunk-ass voice was hilarious. People cheered more when he appeared during the final battle alive than in any other scene.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then he connected her to Rey because the story needed a dozen plot twists for some reason.

Which is fine, if they make sense. I guess it was just a middle finger to Johnson about Ray being a nobody.
Even worse is the moment when she adopts the name Skywalker for herself. Luke & Leia were of course present and agreed. That scene was terrible.

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Luke and Leia knew Palpatine was alive all along? Could they sense him? Did force ghost Yoda know?

I'm on the fence when it comes to Palpatine always being the main baddie of the ST. The whole thing smacks of being made up as they've gone along.

I wouldn't waste your time theorising over characters and back stories as it's clear the writing teams just pull it out of their arse.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the fence when it comes to Palpatine always being the main baddie of the ST. The whole thing smacks of being made up as they've gone along.

I wouldn't waste your time theorising over characters and back stories as it's clear the writing teams just pull it out of their arse.

One hundred percent this. The only reason palatine is back is because snoke died without a warning in episode 8.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
He IS the first order, he had the resources.
I guess then it comes across as even more unbelievable that he was mounting two independent seperate sets of forces without them knowing about each other (or at least one faction not knowing). First order in itself was a step too far for me but an even larger Final order? All in secrecy? It's still not comparable to pulling that off while emperor (and even that was pushing it). This is two steps beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.