• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you believe The Leak or not

• It's true all of it.

Votes: 834 79.4%
  • Noooo! That's not true That's impossible!

Votes: 217 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rey: You kill my papa.
Sheev: No, I am your Palpa.
Rey: Nooooooooo.

I am kinda laughing at the idea of, in one movie, they're all like "your parents were nobodies!" and in the next they're just going to drop "not really, your dad was Palpatine".

The only reason I say dad and not granddad is because she was born only fifteen years after the Battle of Yavin. If Palpatine truly didn't have a child until after his presumed demise on Endor, which was four years after Yavin, Rey would have to be that child.

Unless of course someone is going to tell me Disney is giving a green light to a ten year old being pregnant with Rey.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Snook can't be any flavour of Sheev surely because didn't he want Rey dead in TLJ, he would have to be someone completely unrelated.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I am kinda laughing at the idea of, in one movie, they're all like "your parents were nobodies!" and in the next they're just going to drop "not really, your dad was Palpatine".

The only reason I say dad and not granddad is because she was born only fifteen years after the Battle of Yavin. If Palpatine truly didn't have a child until after his presumed demise on Endor, which was four years after Yavin, Rey would have to be that child.

Unless of course someone is going to tell me Disney is giving a green light to a ten year old being pregnant with Rey.
Palpatine could have had a child sometime between the creation of the Empire and the events of ANH, which makes him the grandfather.

The only way I can accept Palpatine properly alive depite the events of RotJ ks because of the fact that he had all of Darth Plaguesius' knowledge. He could have killed vader and stole his life force to stay barely alive. But then again that would defeat Anakin's entire character arc.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Snook can't be any flavour of Sheev surely because didn't he want Rey dead in TLJ, he would have to be someone completely unrelated.
There is the other dumb bodysnatcher leak idea that could be worked into the entirety of Palpatines history and could make sense somewhat, despite being a terrible idea imo. In that case he wouldn't really care about his granddaughter tho (and why would he?) or she actually wouldn't be his granddaughter, works in both cases.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

vVkoPPU.gif

I'm very interested to see the mental gymnastics that people here will have to pull off to somehow justify Snoke's inclusion.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The same universe where the PT was considered a commercial and critical success at the time and then a total shitstorm a decade later.
A decade later? C'mon...

If anything after a decade after RotS, the prequels were loved more than previously but that's really just because of r/prequelmemes

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Sigh, TLJ has a fresh RT critics score. Okay. But thousands of people have by now pointed out what doesn't work in terms of the film's narrative and characterization (and no, I am not talking about Rose or Holdo) and these same criticisms come up again and again just like with the last season of GoT. You can have a different opinion but are you really saying all these people are objectively wrong because of a fresh rating on RT? Also, when someone calls TLJ a disaster then it is implied that their statement is preceded by "in my opinion".
Thousands bitching online, while millions watched it. The vast majority liked the film, while a comparative small minority didn't, and act like it's a religion that they have to preach to every Star wars and film thread in history.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thousands bitching online, while millions watched it. The vast majority liked the film, while a comparative small minority didn't, and act like it's a religion that they have to preach to every Star wars and film thread in history.

Most of the people who watch movies are morons who don't engage with the media they consume with any degree of criticism.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

They can also just say he shagged on his spare time before he died on Endor and that's one plot hole fixed.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
What a mess this trilogy has been, story wise

Just enjoy the ride now, people.

The mental gymnastics to justify what you'll see on screen wont do you no good

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
They'd have to use a CGI Carrie Fisher if all that is true too, I seriously doubt they have enough unused footage that would fit into the context of all those scenes described.

My guess is they would have to use Carrie's daughter as the body double for the young Leia sequence and then superimpose Carrie's face onto the body.
JJ already confirmed there will be no cgi Leia in the movie. All Leia scenes are from B roll of TFA so it's gong to be super limited. This latest leak is bullshit.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine could have had a child sometime between the creation of the Empire and the events of ANH, which makes him the grandfather.

The only way I can accept Palpatine properly alive depite the events of RotJ ks because of the fact that he had all of Darth Plaguesius' knowledge. He could have killed vader and stole his life force to stay barely alive. But then again that would defeat Anakin's entire character arc.

The spoiler says he tries to have a child because of the connection Luke and Vader showed, so it can't have been before Return of the Jedi. Palpatine isn't the sort of person to have romantic relationships anyway and I really don't even know if an 88 year old would even be able to, y'know, do the deed.

I'm honestly kinda hoping this part of the spoiler is fake, a misdirection or a misunderstanding. Palpatine having a kid is way too weird. It'd be like Voldemort having one and we know how well that went down. I don't mind Palpatine and Rey having a connection of some kind, but something along the lines of "I'm getting Anakin's grandson to have a child with this woman who has shown incredible potential and I'm totally stealing the kid to raise myself" is way less stupid than "Rey, I am your grandfather".

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I read all the spoilers if that's the plot its very boring and expected especially the final battle and closing scene

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the people who watch movies are morons who don't engage with the media they consume with any degree of criticism.

This is an elitist argument used by so many people in so many fandoms that it's frankly ridiculous. "Only I, as a true fan know what is good about this piece of media."

If we want to go down that road...Star Wars itself is incredibly childish and simple. Even the OT, which most would agree is the best of Star Wars, is really low-level simply science fantasy compared to most science fiction out there. It's a child's story about an unlikely hero who is special and gets to have a laser sword. Star Wars is a great universe...but let's not act like it takes great taste or intellect to appreciate it. To suggest so is some Rick and Morty-level of toxic fandom.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is an elitist argument used by so many people in so many fandoms that it's frankly ridiculous. "Only I, as a true fan know what is good about this piece of media."

If we want to go down that road...Star Wars itself is incredibly childish and simple. Even the OT, which most would agree is the best of Star Wars, is really low-level simply science fantasy compared to most science fiction out there. It's a child's story about an unlikely hero who is special and gets to have a laser sword. Star Wars is a great universe...but let's not act like it takes great taste or intellect to appreciate it. To suggest so is some Rick and Morty-level of toxic fandom.

So you're saying all scholars who engage with Star Wars on an academic level are idiots for doing so? Let's not pretend that these aren't massively influential media texts in our society.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
So you're saying all scholars who engage with Star Wars on an academic level are idiots for doing so? Let's not pretend that these aren't massively influential media texts in our society.
Yes. I mean if you can call everyone morons for not doing it....

And as that poster said, Star Wars is a great universe. You have to have some serious nostalgia goggles on to pretend the story and writing were ever anything special

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

And as that poster said, Star Wars is a great univwre. You have to have some serious nostalgia goggles on to pretend the story and writing were ever anything special

Lmao. I guess somebody should then inform all those academics that they're idiots because...ckareset says so.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Reading The Secret History of Star Wars (which should be required reading for SW fans at this point), Lucas himself before and right after SW came out was under no illusions that SW was just a fun, dumb kids movie, meant only to entertain. It was only after the film became a megahit that he started spouting pseudo-intellectual bullshit about how it was an epic mythology influenced by Joseph Campbell (Lucas never even attended one of Campbell's lectures until AFTER Episode IV came out).

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Lmao. I guess somebody should then inform all those academics that they're idiots because...ckareset says so.
You can write academic case studies about literally anything. But like I said take the nostalgia goggles off the writing has never been special.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading The Secret History of Star Wars (which should be required reading for SW fans at this point), Lucas himself before and right after SW came out was under no illusions that SW was just a fun, dumb kids movie, meant only to entertain. It was only after the film became a megahit that he started spouting pseudo-intellectual bullshit about how it was an epic mythology influenced by Joseph Campbell (Lucas never even attended one of Campbell's lectures until AFTER Episode IV came out).

The creator is not the ultimate authority over matters such as these, sorry. Also, I'm not saying Star Wars is super deep. It is, however, culturally super relevant and, therefore, worthy of critical analysis from all sorts of different angles. People who just say "oh, these are dumb kids movies" are the exact morons I was talking about. I can respect a different opinion if some thought has actually been put into it.

Oct 27, 2017

People study everything. There are surely research papers on the Bay Transformers universe as well, and what they mean about modern pop culture, the racial undertones, etc. That doesn't mean the original works are intellectual.

Star Wars (the original) was a masterwork of editing in terms of making a movie that encapsulated the trope of the hero's journey. But beyond that, there is nothing outstanding (in terms of writing, content) about the rest of the universe that is not seen in 1,000 other pieces of literary or film work. Star Wars is great, and I love it (and have read all of the EU, etc), but I am not under any illusion that it is intellectual. Thinking that makes one believe that they are special, part a group that includes only a few, select people that truly get it. That's elitism in a nutshell.

Oct 27, 2017
The creator is not the ultimate authority over matters such as these, sorry. Also, I'm not saying Star Wars is super deep. It is, however, culturally super relevant and, therefore, worthy of critical analysis from all sorts of different angles. People who just say "oh, these are dumb kids movies" are the exact morons I was talking about. I can respect a different opinion if some thought has actually been put into it.

I absolutely agree that it is worthy of study, in terms of why the movies resonate so much (more so before, I think they are fare less relevant with the current young generation...MCU has taken that mantle). But being worthy of analysis doesn't make it deep or special, it just means it had an impact and should be studied. FDR and Trump will both have hundreds of books written about each...but I don't think there is any serious illusion that Trump is on the same level as FDR in terms of how intelligent they were, or effective as a President. Star Wars is popular, but it is not intelligent work. It's fun, and that's a good thing that should be celebrated.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing others
Lol scholars?

Haha I find this hilarious

Star wars is dumb fun

'Scholar' is an actual word that does not just refer to the great thinkers in Ancient Greece. Also, must be nice to turn one's brain off completely while consuming media. Of course, turning off one's brain assumes there is a brain to be found to begin with.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I don't have a problem with Snoke because the series has literally always ignored in the moment character backstories that get filled in later. I mean how many of the series antagonist have been properly realized in the movies they are in.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And the 'dumb fun' argument is just a lazy way to shut down discussion. It's a way to dismiss other people's opinions without having to do any thinking of your own.

Oct 27, 2017
The most interesting thing to me is how are they going to have the title make any sense?

The last film of "the Skywalker saga" as they've been calling it, has RISE in the title? I mean Return of the jedi, Revenge of the sith, Rise of skywalker sure, but it better make some sense! How in God's name are they going to have "the end is the beginning", cyclical thing work? I am genuinely curious.

The early theories of "Skywalkers" being Grey Jedi or the force restoring balance after the Jedi are wiped out with tonnes of immaculate-conception-force-kids spawning across the galaxy was my best guess. But now I think it's time travel. Seriously.

Palpatine has access to time travel. Prepare yourselves.

The RISE of Skywalker. WTF does it mean???

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The title is another JJ mystery box that will have no obvious purpose or meaning.

Some of the leaks say
Luke literally raises Ben from the dead after he dies confronting Palpatine. Apparently Luke and Leia show up as ghosts to help defeat Palpatine too, so the title can also refer to that.

So I think the title is pretty on the nose.

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok fine, Rey can be Palpatine's grandaughter while her parents still weren't that important which still doesn't make that much sense but whatever. It's at least an interesting parallel to Kylo Ren, albiet and uncreative one. Still better than I would've thought though.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've got a guess for Snook, he was a prisoner of Palpatines hidden away, maybe even a source of life for Sheev, taking his life force. When Sheev died, Snook managed to regain some strength and escape. He initially took over the forces that was protecting this asset at a secure hidden location. That or perhaps he was just an apprentice that turned against Sheev but didn't manage to defeat him and Sheev tortured him for the rest of his days. I think Sheev has some fancy chambers and Snook stole his relaxing end of the day opulent dressing gown that he saw him walking around in.

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
So honestly, Palps in the flesh and old as hell (so the same body apparently). How are they going to explain this without it seeming super contrived? Ideas, anyone?

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
So honestly, Palps in the flesh and old as hell (so the same body apparently). How are they going to explain this without it seeming super contrived? Ideas, anyone?
The blue flash when Palps fell down the generator shaft? Force teleportation! The advanced form of force communication that Rey and Kylo are able to do!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You know how John McClane fell down the shaft reaching for the vent and somehow managed to catch one way below. Like that but with the force or all his little blue evil ghost things which I always thought they were when he hit the bottom part, reassemble back into a body.

Status
Not open for further replies.