• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you believe The Leak or not

• It's true all of it.

Votes: 834 79.4%
  • Noooo! That's not true That's impossible!

Votes: 217 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Balance on Star Wars It's not something like Yin Yang.

Story Group Said Many Time. A Grey Thing Can't Exit In Canon.
Bendu isn't Grey.

He describes himself as not light or dark but in the middle.

The story group just seems hellbent on opposing the concept by name despite having characters who walked it in canon and in the EU. I think they just don't want to deal with that can of worms in the films, despite it being great fodder for a story.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Who cares about palps at this point? Why make ether a central theme of the movie at this point?
They killed off the big bad wizard in TLJ.
Kylo isn't a strong enough character to fill the role of main antagonist.
The First Order in general is too much of a one-dimensional caricature of Saturday morning cartoon villains.

The sequel trilogy never developed a good villain. It's disappointing for them to fall back on Palpatine but also not terribly surprising.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
He describes himself as not light or dark but in the middle.

The story group just seems hellbent on opposing the concept by name despite having characters who walked it in canon and in the EU. I think they just don't want to deal with that can of worms in the films, despite it being great fodder for a story.

Bendu is Just Powerful Force User that Doesn't care anyone.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
So after seeing that trailer....

Are we still on for Harry Palpatine and the Deathly Holocrons?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Its a small thing but "this dagger has Sith text that for some reason points to the ruins of the Death Star" keeps sticking in my brain as a baaaad sign of the movie's dramatic structure

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
I think people forget that there's only four days between TFA and TLJ because its actually somewhat mind-boggling and the way that the characters act towards each other makes you think they're lifelong friends.
That's one of the most jarring things about this trilogy. Everything happens in one weekend and the characters are so close to each other for...reasons?

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
The First Order in general is too much of a one-dimensional caricature of Saturday morning cartoon villains.

The sequel trilogy never developed a good villain. It's disappointing for them to fall back on Palpatine but also not terribly surprising.

The first order was suppose to be something of a contingency plan combined with plausible deniability. They were the thugs who could do the bad things the Imperial remnants wanted to do but couldn't do without breaking the cease fire.

Likewise the Resistance was there to counter them without dirtying the hands of the new republic. Many of them thought the first order was not the threat she made them out to be pre TFA and considered her a warmongering extremist.

So the story could have gotten into big politics with part 3. How does the rest of the imperial remnants respawn to the rash of very destructive and very very public violence by the first order? How do the republic worlds respond to the murder of the senate and their fleet?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
That's one of the most jarring things about this trilogy. Everything happens in one weekend and the characters are so close to each other for...reasons?
This is a major JJ Abrams problem also, and it ties into his other problem which is that he has no idea how big space is. It showed up all over the Star Trek films where we just never got any sort of sense that time passed offscreen or it took time to travel from point A to point B

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Its a small thing but "this dagger has Sith text that for some reason points to the ruins of the Death Star" keeps sticking in my brain as a baaaad sign of the movie's dramatic structure
Where they find another artefact that points them to Chateau du Palps. Only Kylo Ren destroys it, so Rey has to steal his artefact...or something.

Also "we have to wipe 3P0s memory so he can read the Black Tongue of Mordor". Just...why? (especially when you consider how commonplace translation droids/software must be...)

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

they had one with Snoke.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Balance on Star Wars It's not something like Yin Yang.

Of course it is. The light and the dark cannot exist without one another and as one grows more powerful, so does the other to equal it. That's why Palpatine was so powerful, because the Jedi had gone unchallenged for a thousand years, and why Rey is so powerful yet only awoke to that power when the dark smothered the light.

It's also why Anakin wasn't strong only in the light or the dark but both, because his purpose was to balance the two - either by leaving the galaxy and staying on Mortis to keep the Son and the Daughter in line or, as he ended up doing, destroying the Jedi and the Sith to wipe the slate clean.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
So the story could have gotten into big politics with part 3. How does the rest of the imperial remnants respawn to the rash of very destructive and very very public violence by the first order? How do the republic worlds respond to the murder of the senate and their fleet?
I don't think There gonna be Politics scene on Ep.9.
But on EU So Far People on Outer rim didnt care about the first order much.

Of course it is. The light and the dark cannot exist without one another and as one grows more powerful, so does the other to equal it. That's why Palpatine was so powerful, because the Jedi had gone unchallenged for a thousand years, and why Rey is so powerful yet only awoke to that power when the dark smothered the light.

It's also why Anakin wasn't strong only in the light or the dark but both, because his purpose was to balance the two - either by leaving the galaxy and staying on Mortis to keep the Son and the Daughter in line or, as he ended up doing, destroying the Jedi and the Sith to wipe the slate clean.

What the Father doing or think it's wrong. That why all of them is dead
You need rid the dark side or make them return.

You can't mix light and Dark because The Dark Will Consume all The Light.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems so. He said recently that it never panned out, it was just discussions that never materialized.

Paxis or MSW, one of them, said that when Sheev is rejuvenated he returns to his pre-face melting, RotS appearance.

Oh well that's not so bad. CGI has come pretty far since 2005 so maybe Palpatine won't look so... awkward when he's fighting this time around.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
So the Matt Smith = Young Palpatine was always bullshit? or they changed their minds because of the Ian McDiarmid -The Senate- face is irresistible villain charm?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Uhm I quite like this to be sincere. But the emperor just surviving RotJ without explanation is bullshit.

It's become a hallmark of this trilogy.

We could come up with a long, long list of plot elements in this trilogy that don't make sense and aren't explained at all.

RoS seems like it's going to add quite a bit to that list.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Matt Smith = Young Palpatine was always bullshit? or they changed their minds because of the Ian McDiarmid -The Senate- face is irresistible villain charm?

Nobody really knows. We don't even know if Matt Smith was supposed to be Palpatine, but who else would he have been? There were rumors a long time ago about some dark acolyte trying to revive Palpatine and we thought Matt Smith was that guy, but that's not happening. Could have been fake info or just something from another draft.

My thought is that in the original story Sheev was a young clone or resurrected in a young form, but once they got Ian on board they couldn't resist just keeping him for the whole job.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It just bemuses me that the plot they went with after TLJ was "hunt MacGuffins to find Big Bad".

The old - seemingly fake - leak, where the Knights of Ren were cultists with aspirations of reviving Palpatine by sacrificing Kylo Ben sounded much better :/

Literally any fake/speculated plot that wasn't just Abrams/Terrio putting RotJ and Dark Empire in a blender then shitting it out sounds better than what we're getting...

Dec 22, 2017
I remember walking out of The Force Awakens with a spring in my step, thinking all was right in the world because Star Wars was back. But this shit just sounds stupid.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also I really hope that snoke is directly tied to palpatine in this movie. People say Luke at the end of TLJ is the most powerful force usage we've seen but they're wrong. It's actually Snoke warping kylos brain from across the Galaxy for years right under Luke's nose.

I don't need everything explicitly explained In these movies but some random dude being capable of essentially mind controlling Jedi Jesus's nephew is ridiculous.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think There gonna be Politics scene on Ep.9.
But on EU So Far People on Outer rim didnt care about the first order much.

What the Father doing or think it's wrong. That why all of them is dead
You need rid the dark side or make them return.

You can't mix light and Dark because The Dark Will Consume all The Light.

From what i've read there was a ton of gaslighting going on from the imperial-aligned folks downplaying the first order as a threat. It's not until the destruction of the senate which was only a few days ago that people realized they were indeed exactly what Leia said they were.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Nobody really knows. We don't even know if Matt Smith was supposed to be Palpatine, but who else would he have been? There were rumors a long time ago about some dark acolyte trying to revive Palpatine and we thought Matt Smith was that guy, but that's not happening. Could have been fake info or just something from another draft.

My thought is that in the original story Sheev was a young clone or resurrected in a young form, but once they got Ian on board they couldn't resist just keeping him for the whole job.
There's a bunch of things from that original leak that are still in the current/final one, which implies it was perhaps an earlier draft.

IIRC the original had the Sith cultists lure Kylo to the Death Star ruins, where Palpatine's spirit possessed him. The new, even-more-unlimited power Sheev then started blasting Resistance ships, before Ben asserted control and begged Rey to kill him. Other variations of the same leak had Palps possess/turn into Matt Smith, and there was also talk of him lifting the Death Star ruins out of the ocean.

The main difference seems to be the removal of the revival/possession plot, and transferring the final battle to Exogol, with the Endor confrontation reworked. Palps still goes Final Form, still blasts ships out the sky, and Rey still stabs/"kills" Ben on Endor. I think there was also something out 3P0's memory in there, too?

It's like Abrams took the original draft and, well, Abramsed it...

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this trilogy will always be controversial for the central point that it made the OT characters all miserable failures and largely undid the ending of ROTJ.

There's always going to be a vocal crowd of people that just are going to be upset with that.

I almost feel like this trilogy would've been better off avoiding that whole grenade and giving the audience a temporary Han/Leia/Luke reunion at the end of VII (the whole point of TFA was nostalgia anyway, put you don't even do the main nostalgia thing people probably would've wanted which is at least one scene with the OT characters together).

And then have the First Order blast them into seemingly oblivion but leaving the door open that they might still be alive in the Outer Regions or something.

That way you basically force Rey/Finn/Poe to take over the story and you can bypass the whole "they were all miserable fucking failures and the ending of ROTJ didn't mean much".
The main reason why I fucking despise the ST.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Reading this document is fucking unbearable. Its like the ramblings of an 8 year old. And then this, and then this, and then this.

Sounds like an absolute cluster fuck of a movie.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It's become a hallmark of this trilogy.

We could come up with a long, long list of plot elements in this trilogy that don't make sense and aren't explained at all.

RoS seems like it's going to add quite a bit to that list.
It's kind of wild that the sequel trilogy has almost the exact opposite flaws of the prequel trilogy.

In the PT, at least the general structure of the universe and the plot outline makes sense. "Palpatine orchestrates a series of crises to acquire more power, overthrowing the Republic and Jedi Order. Anakin is impatient, can't deal with loss, and succumbs to the dark side as a result." No problems there. But the execution is just atrocious, with weak characterization, laughable dialogue, and soap opera quality cinematography. And the finer points of Palpatine's conspiracy often align a little too conveniently.

The ST is just way better when it comes to acting, action, compelling characters (well, at least at the start), and at least the small details for world-building. The scenes of Rey scavenging and cooking on Jakku in TFA still stand out to me as solid and important details that help bring the world to life. And I even like some of the controversial choices in TLJ regarding Luke. But man, they really threw these movies together without any plan for where the story was going or even any concern for the movies' own universe being logically consistent. TFA did a really good job at emphasizing its strengths (character drama), but in the back of my mind I always had this nagging feeling that there just wasn't a satisfying reason (or any reason at all) for them to have returned to the status quo; I couldn't help but ask myself what the Rebels had actually won in ROTJ. And this sort of thing has only gotten worse since then.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I really hope that snoke is directly tied to palpatine in this movie. People say Luke at the end of TLJ is the most powerful force usage we've seen but they're wrong. It's actually Snoke warping kylos brain from across the Galaxy for years right under Luke's nose.

I don't need everything explicitly explained In these movies but some random dude being capable of essentially mind controlling Jedi Jesus's nephew is ridiculous.

The relationship between Snoke and Ben is never really explained. We don't even know if they never met in person until after Ben burned down the Jedi Temple or if he and Snoke had known each other for years, met in secret for years, and Leia sent Ben to Luke to try to save him from himself.

Sadly, any backstory or explanations regarding Snoke are apparently entirely unnecessary and it doesn't seem as though Episode IX even mentions the guy. Maybe it should've just been Palpatine talking to Ben and Hux in Episode VII, leaving us to wonder if he's really still alive, just an AI continuing his work or someone pretending to be him.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
At least according to leaks they axed the dyad bs,it would be stupid to introduce that to the last movie of the trilogy.Bummed they removed the force ghosts, gimme Anakin godammit

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least according to leaks they axed the dyad bs,it would be stupid to introduce that to the last movie of the trilogy.Bummed they removed the force ghosts, gimme Anakin godammit

Palpatine's dialogue in the trailer seems to hint at the dyad thing. Changing major plot points this late in the game is not a good sign if that's whats happening.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Leia is also a Skywalker and Rey definitely had a bond with her. I think that element of the movie will feel natural, by the end of the film she will understand why Luke made the choices he did, and her connection to the other two Skywalkers she's met is already strong.

Leia's more of an Organa or a Solo. She's only a Skywalker by blood.

Rey has more reasons to take the Solo name than the Skywalker name. Hell, she has more reasons to take the Organa name than the Skywalker name.

It's really cheap pandering.

Status
Not open for further replies.