• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like the player base was destined to dwindle anyway. The type of person that the Star Wars license attracts is really not going to stick around for 6-12 months after launch. I think they may see the player base fall off a cliff whether they have a season pass or not.

They probably will but that's not the point. That dwindling playerbase was then split over several different modes and playlists which made the player count look less then it actually was. At least on this game even when the number of players do go down they will still all be herded into a few diferent modes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there ever going to be a Heroes v. Villains match that is not Rey/Yoda/Luke versus Vader/Kylo/Maul/Fett? I feel like even if they were to buff up some of the crummy characters, everyone is just going to gravitate to this set. So that makes me somewhat hesitant to spend any time on Hero progression.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
The reason for the lack of cosmetic items as microtransactions stems from their relationship with Disney. Unlike Overwatch, where Blizzard owns the original IP and can create the wackiest costumes they want, EA can't give a star trooper a lion mask without going through Disney, and Disney ain't having none of that shit.

So its either season pass or microtransactions in the form of progression - both which fucking suck ass tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
The reason for the lack of cosmetic items as microtransactions stems from their relationship with Disney. Unlike Overwatch, where Blizzard owns the original IP and can create the wackiest costumes they want, EA can't give a star trooper a lion mask without going through Disney, and Disney ain't having none of that shit.

So its either season pass or microtransactions in the form of progression - both which fucking suck ass tbh.

I'm not sure this argument has any weight. In their Reddit AMA they simply said cosmetics didn't make it into the game and they want to add them. They have access to the entire LFL archive to pull different armours and hero costumes from.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there ever going to be a Heroes v. Villains match that is not Rey/Yoda/Luke versus Vader/Kylo/Maul/Fett? I feel like even if they were to buff up some of the crummy characters, everyone is just going to gravitate to this set. So that makes me somewhat hesitant to spend any time on Hero progression.

I like to rotate through them all. More fun that way

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure this argument has any weight. In their Reddit AMA they simply said cosmetics didn't make it into the game and they want to add them. They have access to the entire LFL archive to pull different armours and hero costumes from.
They didn't make it into the game could mean 100s of things. It could mean the designs we have already weren't substantial enough. It could mean some of the designs we have are still trying to get approved by Disney. The point of the matter is, you can't just flood your game with 1000s of cosmetic items when each and every item has to go through several layers of red tape. Jack Fragz actually sat down with a developer a couple of months ago and asked why there weren't cosmetic items and fan-art in game and it was because of how Disney has a vice grip around any creative decisions dealing with Star Wars.

mojo2

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
They didn't make it into the game could mean 100s of things. It could mean the designs we have already weren't substantial enough. It could mean some of the designs we have are still trying to get approved by Disney. The point of the matter is, you can't just flood your game with 1000s of cosmetic items when each and every item has to go through several layers of red tape. Jack Fragz actually sat down with a developer a couple of months ago and asked why there weren't cosmetic items and fan-art in game and it was because of how Disney has a vice grip around any creative decisions dealing with Star Wars.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...ront_ii_dice_developer_ama/dpvb7hd/?context=3

Nah. There's three answers in AMA which come out as they can do it. I mean they had loads of skins in previous game so... there's that.

mojo2

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
For those of you who can't resist the dark side, greenmangaming has it on PC for 45 EUR if you register a new account.
The negotiations were short.
1c96ccf55226534971186d9f7b7ec718f6220b1e32e87588186d22dc1ff89268.jpg

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
They are just kind of poorly designed, the forest one especially. It's hard to get a decent sight on the enemy most of the time, and the maps all feel like they revolve around one single chokepoint area where everyone just congregates around spamming.

You've already played all Galactic Assault maps? How did you manage to do that? I keep getting the same maps. Still have to play 4 or 5 of them.
And you disliked all of them?

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They are just kind of poorly designed, the forest one especially. It's hard to get a decent sight on the enemy most of the time, and the maps all feel like they revolve around one single chokepoint area where everyone just congregates around spamming.

Maybe at the start but people are already learning the maps better.

Oct 27, 2017

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but wonder what their approach regarding lootboxes etc will be in the future considering the shitfest that followed this one.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
People are complaining about AI farming in galactic assault.... I didn't know there was AI on that mode? I noticed them in Star Fighter only.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People are complaining about AI farming in galactic assault.... I didn't know there was AI on that mode? I noticed them in Star Fighter only.

If you're good with starships, then picking up a ship in GA is a fast way to build battle points. Its the primary way I've been able to get enough to select a hero in GA.

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Electronic Arts shares drop after Wall Street raises concerns over 'Star Wars' game sales

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/01/ele...aises-concerns-over-star-wars-game-sales.html

Well deserved EA. :p

Title is very misleading title. The article is more about the December forecast of EA being under what investors expected. And I do not think it has anything to do with the loot box story. If anything, the investors say:

"If Star Wars can encourage users to spend real money on virtual goods (like FIFA) the game could drive meaningful upside to F'18 and '19 EPS, but this is not a certainty"

So, not sure...

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

There is videos of how to farm crazy points by just killing AI. Starkiller Base is the worse since there is unlimited easy to kill AI with not much the other team can do to stop it, so you have one side just farming AI for tons of points while ignoring the actual game objective.

Oct 25, 2017
I use Iden or Leia every match I play.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
yes EA wants people to play their game for a long time...no surprise...yes grinding is part of the game but also a necessary evil in that you want to extend the shelf life of the game by getting people to continue playing to unlock certain items...this game is meant to last for 12+ months

The current absurd grind is just for the base game that we just paid $60. I thought DLC was what was supposed to extend the life of the game? Since we all know there will be an even more insane grind for that since we haven't even put a nickle towards it.

Interesting I just opened a daily crate and I got a common card out of it 75 credits and 5 craft parts. Yesterday with no common card it was 125 credits and 5 scrap.

Also has anyone been experiencing this? Sometimes the match/round/whatever will end and I'll get thrown into a completely empty lobby with maybe just one more person in there. Which sucks because it never fills and I have to exit and search again. This is on PS4.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The current absurd grind is just for the base game that we just paid $60. I thought DLC was what was supposed to extend the life of the game? Since we all know there will be an even more insane grind for that since we haven't even put a nickle towards it.

you mean most people don't play 4-6 hours a day? :D

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is videos of how to farm crazy points by just killing AI. Starkiller Base is the worse since there is unlimited easy to kill AI with not much the other team can do to stop it, so you have one side just farming AI for tons of points while ignoring the actual game objective.

I can see the secs reducing the cost for killing AI ships to make this less enticing. From memory, I was getting a couple hundred points for killing ships that go down in seconds.

gugodoi

Nov 3, 2017

People need to stop saying that, it's not true. They CAN make customizations and include cosmetic items, they even said it in the Reddit AMA and will start doing that "soon". They made a huge mistake with this lootbox model, but it was their mistake not someone else.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a shame EA did what they did because I'm quite enjoying the MP because I'd definitely buy it if this loot box shit wasn't there.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first game sold a lot even after backlash. But I don't think this one will have the same outcome. As the last one while barebones was still a complete game and didn't have content locked behind paywall that's already on the CD.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a misleading article. EA stock was down yesterday due to the stock market being down. The stock market is up today and EA stock is back up.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People need to stop saying that, it's not true. They CAN make customizations and include cosmetic items, they even said it in the Reddit AMA and will start doing that "soon". They made a huge mistake with this lootbox model, but it was their mistake not someone else.

I think he meant that Star Wars customization options are more limited due to the license, at least when it comes to ostensibly "realistic" games like this. So no Holiday outfits or other outlandish skins that games like Overwatch offer. Nevertheless, there is plenty of reference from within Star Wars that they can pull from. They could, for example, lock alien skins in loot boxes for the rebels.

ManatuBear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I wonder what Disney thinks of all this negative press their IP is getting and what consequences will come from it (to both EA and Disney).
I really doubt that Disney wasn't aware of the MTs, they probably get a cut from the sales of credits.

Nov 15, 2017
I kind of feel the same way. I want to love it because it's Star Wars, but I'll have to wait to see if they get rid of the aggressive microtransactions

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I am on the fence on whether this is better or worse than the previous one but it doesn't have to do with loot boxes.

I liked the customization of my trooper in the previous one. I know there are multiple eras here but I'd love to be able to fix up what they look like in each era. Let me worry about managing my time if I want to do that. That is a biggie for me though I don't think that is a huge negative.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After picking this up first for the Xbox One X, I ended up buying it again for the PS4 Pro last night.
The controller just feels so much better than the new Xbox controller and I am not putting out for an elite controller.