• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
O3QeCnH.gif

View: https://twitter.com/williamshatner/status/624290094942433280

It was just "social commentary" not politics.

View: https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1552810617043423232

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't it Martin Luther King who let his kids stay up and watch the original series and representation and it's modern Trek is basically a Communist society.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason why a lot of Trek cast members tend to distance themselves from him, lol.

He plays a great character but Shatner is a clown.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
He's just trying to sidestep the fact that today's "woke" politics were in part influenced by the message of Star Trek.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The fact this this bothers him says more about this to me.

He doesn't want Star Trek to be considered "the Left". The goddamn Federation where everybody got free food, healthcare, and there wasn't even a need for money where capitalistic species like the Ferengi were considered greedy joke trolls.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
William Shatner has been fucking bizarre lately. His panel at SDCC was very questionable. Made several attempts telling people to take off their masks(which was against the rules), made jokes about Covid, complained about San Diego being dirty and homeless everywhere, and said Gene Rodenberry would be rolling in his grave(iirc) about new Star Trek.

Oh and he also shilled NFTs during that panel

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mmh, let's see

Has first interracial kiss on tv
Describe societies that believe in gods as "primitive"
The Federation provides food, lodging and healthcare to all its inhabitants
It puts emphasis on first contact with other races, dialogue, and peace with mutual respect
It renounced money or wealth to put emphasis on personal growth and knowledge
Its prime directive is literally about not interfering with less advanced cultures, including Never taking their habitat
Cultures prioritizing war or profit are seen as antagonists
Star Trek, at least originally, was pretty much a Communist utopia.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
William Shatner has been fucking bizarre lately. His panel at SDCC was very questionable. Made several attempts telling people to take off their masks(which was against the rules), made jokes about Covid, complained about San Diego being dirty and homeless everywhere, and said Gene Rodenberry would be rolling in his grave(iirc) about new Star Trek.

Oh and he also shilled NFTs during that panel
How long until he is seen with a MAGA hat or talking about the "coming storm"?

I give it 6 months.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
OK old man

5eSv.gif

I'm not even commenting on the quality of nu-trek, but to paint the first series as being somehow NOT political is just....wow.
We can probably stop paying attention to him now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he in a whole ass movie about the political ramification of an energy crisis? I always suspected there was a good reason they never called him to do stuff in the newer trek. Yet they got damn near everyone else
555183669058fb273008595a9393d628.jpg

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
He thinks political = has republicans and democrats
I think so. You see this a lot, where people have a very narrow/literal view of what "political" means, and think that something isn't "political" if it isn't about real life political parties, elections, urging someone to vote a specific way or w/e. Like he says right there that they were doing social commentary, which everyone in this thread understands is political.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He isn't the first actor to not understand the material he worked on. He won't be the last.

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't run his own twitter does he? It's ran by Paul Camuso iirc. Not saying that doesn't mean he doesn't endorse this shit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think so. You see this a lot, where people have a very narrow/literal view of what "political" means, and think that something isn't "political" if it isn't about real life political parties, elections, urging someone to vote a specific way or w/e. Like he says right there that they were doing social commentary, which everyone in this thread understands is political.
Sadly, in a vacuum somethings not being potlical and just social should be a thing, but we don't live anywhere near that universe and won't for a time.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Not going to defend the guy. But social issues can be political, and solved with politics, but they're not synonymous.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Im at this moment watching the 2nd Kirk episode of Star Trek, Charlie X, and within the first 10 mins a white and black crew member talk about finishing their shift together and meeting in the rec room later to hang out after work. This aired at the height of the civil right movement about a year and a half before Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. Cmon Bill... the 2nd episode...

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the whole "I'm Canadian and you Americans are too political" thing was a forum meme from 2004