• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
it's fantastic
and it's the show than FINALLY made my lady a fan of trek after years of resistance 💖
she played coy for as long as she could but kept asking when we were gonna watch the next episode, and finally in the second to last episode announced in the middle of it unprompted "OKAY okay.....I like star trek 😁"
She loves spock (and so do I)
Peck is hitting home runs in the part, definitely best since nimoy
And yes the chemistry is fantastic
Give me 7 seasons and a movie

Last edited:

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
SNW is the most fun I've had with Trek since DS9, but the bar has been set pretty low.

In for a 2nd season for sure though!

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
With this and lower decks trek is good again.

Too bad picard and discovery exist.

All you had to do was... do exactly what people wanted all along and kept saying.
it's fantastic
and it's the show than FINALLY made my lady a fan of trek after years of resistance 💖
she played coy for as long as she could but kept asking when we were gonna watch the next episode, and finally in the second to last episode announced in the middle of it unprompted "OKAY okay.....I like star trek 😁"
She loves spock (and so do I)
Peck is hitting home runs in the part, definitely best since nimoy
And yes the chemistry is fantastic
Give me 7 seasons and a movie
Exactly the same. My fiancée will finally watch trek with me and actually get excited about it.

Nov 27, 2020
Best 1st season of Star Trek maybe ever honestly.
In batting average, 100%. There wasn't a bad episode in the bunch. I'd still put TOS S1 over it. SNW had two episodes that came close to being "all-time classics" (Memento Mori and A Quality of Mercy), but TOS S1 has several that are all-time classics ("Balance of Terror", "Arena", "The Menagerie", "Space Seed", and "City on the Edge of Forever"). Oddly enough, most of those episodes are used in SNW S1.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
What a finale. The quality of this whole season has been fabulous. Superbly cast and performed, excellently written and the sets and sfx have been top draw. Best TV series of the year imo.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I like SNW but wish people wouldn't just use it to shit on Discovery. They're both great.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i have more thoughts and i dont know where else to put them

the whole cast was excellent. i love the characters

pike was great. number one didnt seem to do much but it seemed like they were kind of angling her for a counselor type figure, at least for the doctor and la'an. the doctor was great. his daughter... man his daughter

uhura was great, I liked what they were doing with her character not totally knowing what she wanted, but then she also just wasnt in like two episodes? chapel? great. spock? great. la'an? she was fine, a little one note in places but it's only the first season. ortegas was the best oh my god love her. hemmer? great! but you know...

the episodes? largely great. i only have a few criticisms. it definitely felt like there was an action quota. every episode at some point we needed a little action scene no matter how out of place or stupid it was. now we're going to have a chase scene! its dumb but we had to have it for some reason! oh theres fighting! no room for actual fighting that doesnt make sense so now its just a dream whatever got the action in. just stop it. its okay to just have people talking for a whole episode i promise you.

also its hard to explain but some of the balance of the episodes felt off? like we got a lot of character stuff that's great, but sometimes it felt like that was at the expense of that episodes main story especially when sometimes the character stuff was... kind of slow and even sparse? edit it a bit maybe i dunno im not an editor. the negotiation episode just felt like there needed to be more of it. maybe that's a good thing that I just wanted more I dunno. just wasn't the most satisfying thing I guess

but the beats! oh they hit the beats. i would get so excited... oh boy its a holodeck episode this week! oh its one of those fun negotiation with the strange alien race episode. its a how much do people sacrifice and how much do we accept other cultures episode. it was great

loved it. want more of it.

Oct 25, 2017
i have more thoughts and i dont know where else to put them

the whole cast was excellent. i love the characters

pike was great. number one didnt seem to do much but it seemed like they were kind of angling her for a counselor type figure, at least for the doctor and la'an. the doctor was great. his daughter... man his daughter

uhura was great, I liked what they were doing with her character not totally knowing what she wanted, but then she also just wasnt in like two episodes? chapel? great. spock? great. la'an? she was fine, a little one note in places but it's only the first season. ortegas was the best oh my god love her. hemmer? great! but you know...

the episodes? largely great. i only have a few criticisms. it definitely felt like there was an action quota. every episode at some point we needed a little action scene no matter how out of place or stupid it was. now we're going to have a chase scene! its dumb but we had to have it for some reason! oh theres fighting! no room for actual fighting that doesnt make sense so now its just a dream whatever got the action in. just stop it. its okay to just have people talking for a whole episode i promise you.

also its hard to explain but some of the balance of the episodes felt off? like we got a lot of character stuff that's great, but sometimes it felt like that was at the expense of that episodes main story especially when sometimes the character stuff was... kind of slow and even sparse? edit it a bit maybe i dunno im not an editor. the negotiation episode just felt like there needed to be more of it. maybe that's a good thing that I just wanted more I dunno. just wasn't the most satisfying thing I guess

but the beats! oh they hit the beats. i would get so excited... oh boy its a holodeck episode this week! oh its one of those fun negotiation with the strange alien race episode. its a how much do people sacrifice and how much do we accept other cultures episode. it was great

loved it. want more of it.

We do have a regular thread

https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...lds-season-1-ot-to-boldly-go-episodic.578300/

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I've never watched any Star Trek in my life until the last 2 months or so. I have absolutely no context for old trek other than watching like the last 30 episodes of DS9 which was amazing (still the best Trek I've watched) and am starting Voyager now.

I really enjoyed Strange New Worlds but I gotta say Discovery is by far the best of the new Star Trek shows I've watched. This thread kind of bums me out cause its less people talking about SNW and more folks crapping on Discovery. I really think some of the acting in SNW is kind of lousy, I don't feel any kind of attachment to the characters outside of a couple the way I did with most of the characters in Discovery.

Picard is absolute dogshit though. There is absolutely nothing redeemable about that show.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It was totally planned! I think the show obviously changed directions as it went along but that's normal for most shows, I wouldn't hold it against it... too much. It's still a massive triumph and the best sci-fi series I've ever watched.

I've been meaning to give one of the new Star Trek series a chance though, but if feels like there are dozens of them.
There's 5 lol
This is the second best one after Lower Decks.

Also, amazing video. lol

Akahige

Oct 27, 2017
Almost done Star Trek Discovery S02, can I dive directly into this right after that or will I be missing some story points by not finishing up the latest 2 seasons of Disco?

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Hemmer was wasted potential. Not too into how they're handling the Gorn so far. Number 1 is just kinda there. Ortegas needs to be fleshed out beyond being the obnoxious quip character. And the score needs to chill, not every scene needs music.

Besides all that it was pretty great. Not my favorite first season of Trek but better than most.

Last edited:

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the last two yet, but it is indeed the best thing since DS9.

I came to ST late and VOY was the first thing I watched, while it was airing, and I went back and found the others, and truly DS9 is the only one I can genuinely rewatch with absolute enjoyment these days.

Tried Disco, it was ... fine? But I consider things like structure and tone to be as much a part of a franchise as the names of the characters and the designs of the ships and such. And Disco was not ST in either tone or structure. Intentionally so, but I and many others felt the difference palpably, and got tossed in with a bunch of MRA idiots while trying to express that. Feel the same about Lower Decks. It's set in the Star Trek universe, technically speaking, but it's very much a different thing at core.

End of the day whatevs, I really like SNW and find it to be the best thing out there, even if I've my quibbles like anything. It's a tad too fan servicey and winky. It can be a bit broad and arch, while also trying to be modern and serious. But it balances it really well.

The whole team is doing a fantastic job, from actors to set and production. It's really well done. I'm genuinely curious how the narrative approach holds up over time and whether the slightly disconnected staccato quality (Hemmer gone fast, M'Bengas daughter's arc) continues to feel that way, or if we end up getting more layering of the ongoing narratives while also getting the story of the week.

Really curious if they can pull off that layering, or if it all stays at about this level of ... intro/outro.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
With this and For `all Mankind hitting its stride, I would argue it's a golden age for space opera, just need the Expanse to come back as well.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I do like that SNW is less... manic than Discovery if that's the right word for it.

I like Disco reasonably well (I'm on season 3 now and I do think it's an improvement, it's nice to see a Star Trek series finally move past the TNG era), but the characters and story lines are just SO extreme. All out war, end of the universe (more than once), etc.
I liked the 2009 Trek series, but Disco feels like an even more amped up version of that take on Star Trek.

Picard is best not spoken of. It's watchable action schlock, but beyond that it's pretty nonsensical and so far removed from the spirit of TNG and the characters that it barely even works as fan-service.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I really enjoyed Strange New Worlds but I gotta say Discovery is by far the best of the new Star Trek shows I've watched. This thread kind of bums me out cause its less people talking about SNW and more folks crapping on Discovery. I really think some of the acting in SNW is kind of lousy, I don't feel any kind of attachment to the characters outside of a couple the way I did with most of the characters in Discovery.

Thanks for sharing. It's an interesting perspective you have. The truth is a certain portion of the fanbase hate that Discovery is doing well even more than hating the show itself.

You and other newcomers love the show, and it's bringing a ton of new fans to Trek, which was needed as the rest of us are all old farts at this point.
That said, if you grew up with classic Trek, Discovery is an acquired taste. And if you genuinely hate the show, that's okay no-one's forcing you to watch it or say it's good.

My hope is that now that the older fanbase have options with SNW, Lower Decks, and Prodigy, the hate directed at Discovery will fade a bit in the new Season 5.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Best Star Trek show of the modern era. It's firing on all cylinders. I especially love the visuals. It looks like classic Trek with a modern flair.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Show's been great so far. Really feels like a throwback to the OG with all bottle episodes (in the first 5 eps we've watched at least).

Weirdly, I keep getting this feeling like Celia Rose Gooding is too short to play Uhura, but she's actually 3" taller than Nichelle Nichols according to the internets.

E: Also gotta disagree about best new show of the year. The Old Man is winning that one handily so far, IMO.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
It's definitely way better than Picard. Like it obliterates that show. I haven't watched much Discovery, but it really didn't interest me at all.

I did get a little bored of it though, as it's still not the kind of Star Trek sci-fi I'm into (more into the 'hard sci-fi' kind of TNG style focusing on tech and thought experiment). I dropped off a few episodes ago, but I'll probably pick it up at some point again as it is a fun ST series. It's like a Stargate/Star Trek hybrid, which is kind of cool. I'm just somewhat bored/burned out on television as a medium in general these days though, so it's not so much that SNW itself has any problem that turned me off.

I think I still long for big ideas Star Trek written by smart people.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I have some issues with the show, but yeah: it's certainly the best live-action Trek since DS9.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I was a huge TNG fan as a kid but never saw TOS. Strange New Worlds was amazing and the finale got me curious. I watched an episode and I love it. I'm now watching The Glass Menagerie and so far, despite just watching e hours of this t0 year old show it might be my favorite trek ever. I can't believe I would ever love a trek show more than TNG. I love the twilight zone so maybe that's why TOS resonates with me so much. The style of dramatic acting and emotionally driven plotting makes TNG seem almost sterile by comparison.

Of course, we will see how this feeling holds up as I watch the rest of TOS!

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
The style of dramatic acting and emotionally driven plotting makes TNG seem almost sterile by comparison.

Of course, we will see how this feeling holds up as I watch the rest of TOS!
This kind of rhetoric is funny to me since that's exactly what I love about TNG - it's sort of unique that way in that it isn't so melodrama focused like every other show around. I'd love to see more of that 'sterile' style back in action.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Yes I LOVE the interior design of the ship and the lighting.
Every ep looks really expensive and really great.

The aliens have all looked really convincing too.
Love it

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This thread made give the first episode a chance. I haven't watched any kind of Star Trek media in forever, it was okay but also I'm not sure it enticed me to watch any more.

Didn't dig how it handled first contact. It just felt like the most basic execution possible. Aliens that look 99% like humans, have a civilization that is 99% like humans, and can magically understand humans too somehow.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't cared for modern trek like discovery and Picard, SNW 100% delivers the goods. They've modernized trek in just about all the right ways. SNW is easily one of my favorite shows.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Its still wild to me how good this show looked week to week without ever dropping the ball, meanwhile by the end Picard S2 had shots that looked more like an asylum parody of itself

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely the best Trek since DS9. They should have made this like another OT and TNG and bumped it up 100 years or so. The characters would need to be tweaked, but it would work just as well. I like the fan service alot, but it would have more legs if it wasn't tied into this specific timeline.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Aliens that look 99% like humans, have a civilization that is 99% like humans, and can magically understand humans too somehow.

So just like TOS :P To be fair I think the first episode was designed to be a little safe, so I don't disagree with you.

I feel the show really starts getting great around Episode 4, though I think Episodes 2-3 are decent.

Can I watch this even though I havent watched any of the Star Trek shows, only some of the movies

Yes, though you'll miss strong easter eggs. The only thing you need to know about Pike from his appearances in Discovery is that he got a glimpse of his future and it's not a good one.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
This thread made give the first episode a chance. I haven't watched any kind of Star Trek media in forever, it was okay but also I'm not sure it enticed me to watch any more.

Didn't dig how it handled first contact. It just felt like the most basic execution possible. Aliens that look 99% like humans, have a civilization that is 99% like humans, and can magically understand humans too somehow.
It gets better.

Yes aliens being humanoid and easy to understand can be silly. But it's done out of convenience. And hey at least they have lore explaining why it's like that. Like universal translators and ancient aliens spreading their DNA across the universe.

Last edited:

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
unfortunately Paramount+ is not here in most of Europe yet only later this year, I'd like to give it a watch but it's also difficult for me to get into anything TOS era/prequels any more with Star Trek, everything they've been trying to do with that from Abrams movies to Discovery I just can't get into. I go back to rewatching TNG/DS9/VOY and the movies for my Star Trek itches every time

the new Trek doesn't have that format of the crew dynamic and crew members in an episode facing a moral or technical or philosophical problem that they try to solve/contend with. That's what I like in Star Trek and it's not what they do with the new Trek. I don't like Star Trek being so deeply serialised either, I don't like Picard and I don't like Discovery and both for very different reasons but at least Picard was trying something new even though they didn't execute it well

spidye

Oct 28, 2017

You just summarized 99% of first contacts in the star trek universe

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like what they are doing with M'Benga and Chapel. Taking these background characters from tos and fleshing them out really well. The actors are doing a outstanding job.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I really like Pike's command style. He isn't above the crew or trying to do everything himself. To sum it up it is like what superman once said when was asked why he does what he does "I am not here to lift you up, I am here to catch you if you fall"

Oct 26, 2017
Trek is in such a good place right now, multiple fantastic shows with incredible acting and visuals. What a time to be alive.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Its still wild to me how good this show looked week to week without ever dropping the ball, meanwhile by the end Picard S2 had shots that looked more like an asylum parody of itself
All hail the wall
stu-arwall-head.jpg

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing is that this show looked a lot better than the last few Star Wars shows that use it. I guess it helps that they kept everything confined to smaller sets.
lol I haven't watched the star wars show, but everyone says that when talking about the wall. The tech is amazing as fuck.