• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I still have to watch the latest episode (probably won't get to it until next week since we have family visiting this weekend), but as much as I've loved seeing Seven on the screen again, I'd prefer they bring her back into Starfleet somehow, preferably with some hypothetical Stargazer show or something.

I just really don't get the whole Fenris Ranger thing, so maybe I need to rewatch S1 or something (ugh). It's like thinly veiled "I need to find a way to make a difference" kind of thing because Icheb was killed, and frankly has always seemed like character regression or at the very least, stasis, from her character progression on Voyager. I dunno, if the character were to continue into another show (which I'd love btw because it's been a joy getting to see Jeri Ryan play the role again) I hope the events of Picard get her back into a better place.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Why should they worry about Agnes? It's not like she's ever done anything questionable in the time that the Picard crew has known her. She's certainly completely trustworthy to be off doing things on her own.

It's not even her past behavior so much as one of their team is missing in the 21st century and none of them seem concerned about that.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even her past behavior so much as one of their team is missing in the 21st century and none of them seem concerned about that.
I mean, I get the feeling that they wanted to have a shot of her in the red dress walking into the night and then just came up with a reason why everyone rushed to Picard after that awkward hit and run and forgot all about her.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Episode was decent, but it does seem like they are deliberately creating problems with their writing the characters need to solve. It feels like it's stretching the plot quite a bit. The hospital shooting and now Picard's accident are two examples of such writing. I do enjoy the Jurati-Borg part a lot and I found René Picard's depiction decent enough, too. I am disappointed in Seven in this season. She might have been president in that fascist regime but she's hardly been more than moral support and comforting Raffi these last four episodes or so.

Nov 27, 2020
7 figures for the Stargazer bridge? Wow.
I've seen it said that the ENT-D bridge cost $600,000 when it was built, which would be over a million in today's dollars. Those bridge sets, with all those functional screens and lighting and such are not cheap at all.

That's why it was surprising that they actually built a new bridge set for the Stargazer, instead of doing a redress of a Discovery set for Riker's ship in S1. The cost of that, and the intricacies of that set, suggest we're going to see it again, and often, at some point. Hell, they even developed an evolution of the LCARS graphics, just for that set!

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure where you're all getting the Stargazer show comments.

The showrunners commented on the Pike success which lead to SNW, but nothing on a Stargazer show.
Mostly just based on what they have done before (announcing S31 and Pike spiniffs from Disco) and thinking about what Paramount are going to do over the next 5 years given how long each of the existing shows likely has left to run. 2022 will see them have 5 shows on air in Picard, Disco, SNW, Prodigy and Lower Decks. We still don't know whats going on with S31 so from the existing shows that we know of, its certain/likely that in 2025 there will be no Picard or Discovery in the mix, leaving only SNW as the live action show. I cannot see them letting that happen and by then SNW itself will be on its 4th season so they will need to be thinking about the future again there.

They already have characters people know, sets they have spent money on and directions in which to go. I don't think Rios has landed as well as Pike did, but I think he's been good enough and the introduction of the Stargazer and him as Captain back in the Federation helps their cause, maybe more so given his past history with the organisation and plots to explore there.

Also Who is going to say no to Space Ranger Seven.

Holy balls. I don't know why it never clicked before but it's Tess from "The Last of Us"!
It is indeed!
No figures to hand, but it was 7 figures. Top of my head near $2 million which was the give away.
Yeah that's a whole lot of money for a use it and lose it set. Not that I have any idea how much these things are supposed to cost.

Oct 25, 2017
Annie Wersching doing work as the queen. I only know her from her creepy ass role on Rookie (which she also does well) but I didn't realise she actually made her TV debut on Star Trek. On Enterprise. Interesting to see her tricking Jurati to allow her to gain more control.

I still think both will be a thing tbh.

She was also very good in 24

Jan 29, 2018
I could see them spending $2mil on the Stargazer sets if the plan was to use it a lot in season 3. I still think if a spinoff happens it'll be based on fan reaction and not because it was planned from the jump.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond the logistical stuff though, I think it would just be stupid for them not to directly mine the TNG-era 25th century era for TV content. Then again, what do I know, since the past decade has been Star Trek pretty much wholesale living in the TOS era.

Jan 29, 2018
I know I want to see more of the 32nd century Trek, whether it's from Discovery getting a 6th and 7th season or from a subsequent show. Lower Decks and Prodigy are already playing in that late 24th century/early 25th space.

...actually if we get another late 24th century live action show that increases the chances of a Lower Decks live action crossover event, which I've decided should happen.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Did they cut Seven's sub-plot from that episode or something? I don't remember her even speaking a single line.

Oct 25, 2017
She was creating a diversion, I don't think it's weird that they forgot her while Picard was lying on the floor dying.

Also the new preview shows Seven and Raffi looking for her

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Looks like a photo of a dinnerware set at a convention confirms that the Stargazer will be back alright.

The last pic is taken from on set.

Nov 27, 2020

Lol….I knew that ship looked familiar. Now I'm having a "duh" moment at not recognizing it right away.

And I think this is further confirmation that the writers have no intention of having Trek's 2024 be representative of our real 2024. Obviously we aren't going to have sun-shading energy field drones, fancy and actually in use orbiters, and manned missions to Europa in less than two years. This is a very near future that actually could have had a Eugenic War in the 90s, and launched a DY-100 sleeper ship. (I was actually kind of surprised that didn't show up on screen in this episode either).

It's an interesting choice, but it's better than constantly retconing past/current events into the Star Trek timeline, IMO. Let Trek just be it's own similar, yet separate universe.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Lol….I knew that ship looked familiar. Now I'm having a "duh" moment at not recognizing it right away.

And I think this is further confirmation that the writers have no intention of having Trek's 2024 be representative of our real 2024. Obviously we aren't going to have sun-shading energy field drones, fancy and actually in use orbiters, and manned missions to Europa in less than two years. This is a very near future that actually could have had a Eugenic War in the 90s, and launched a DY-100 sleeper ship. (I was actually kind of surprised that didn't show up on screen in this episode either).

It's an interesting choice, but it's better than constantly retconing past/current events into the Star Trek timeline, IMO. Let Trek just be it's own similar, yet separate universe.

I had my suspicions when I saw that they are replacing actual brands with in universe fake brands. It's the right way to approach this issue in my opinion. Just split it off into its own thing.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Feel like I am the only one enjoying it much more than S1.
It's fun. Nonsense but fun. Somewhat believable even, like classic "we are gonna pull some future bullshit out of thin air" they always did during TNG.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
God why is the dialogue in this show so bad? The overall plotting is better, but the whole Laris exchange at the start of the episode...cringe, I don't know how else to describe it. No-one talks like this. Buffy fanfic writers talk like this. Stop making everyone so "clever"

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't even sure Renee is the divergence in the timeline, they're only after her because Q was seen with her

but what if Q is trying to fix his mishap

we have 4 episodes left and we don't even know what changed

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
It's fun. Nonsense but fun. Somewhat believable even, like classic "we are gonna pull some future bullshit out of thin air" they always did during TNG.
I think the response to S2 in this very thread has been mostly positive and far more positive than the general consensus on S1. I don't think you are alone.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Wait why are they taking Picard to the hospital ISN'T HE A ROBOT NOW?

I know that its supposed to be "human like" but if its literally so human that a hospital isn't going to notice any differences then its not an android of any kind, its just a clone!

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Wait is NA one episode further? Amazon here (AUT/GER) has only up until episode 5.

I watched episode 6 on Amazon Prime GER today, it was uploaded around noon.

I know that its supposed to be "human like" but if its literally so human that a hospital isn't going to notice any differences then its not an android of any kind, its just a clone!

I refer to this as "the replicant issue". Are replicants robots/androids in a human skin? Are they just genetically designed humans with artificial synthetic implants? Same thing with Soji and Picard. It's just vaguely alluded to that they are synthetic but they have tear ducts, pores, saliva and - as Season 1 assures us - mucus. At this point it just seems that they are artificially created humans with a synthetic brain and some superhuman abilities. In Picard's case it has had the interesting side effect of severing his connection to the collective, because this body hasn't been assimilated by the Borg. Which is in some ways a downgrade considering how the Enterprise made short work of a Borg Cube in First Contact due to his connection to the collective.

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I refer to this as "the replicant issue". Are replicants robots/androids in a human skin? Are they just genetically designed humans with artificial synthetic implants? Same thing with Soji and Picard. It's just vaguely alluded to that they are synthetic but they have tear ducts, pores, saliva and - as Season 1 assures us - mucus. At this point it just seems that they are artificially created humans with a synthetic brain and some superhuman abilities. In Picard's case it has had the interesting side effect of severing his connection to the collective, because this body hasn't been assimilated by the Borg. Which is in some ways a downgrade considering how the Enterprise made short work of a Borg Cube in First Contact due to his connection to the collective.
I'm still working through how I feel about this in Picard, but for me the realization that Replicants are basically just clones actually really unlocks a lot of depth in Blade Runner, insomuch as it suddenly reframes things and the "replicant" designation becomes this branding excercise that Tyrell has been doing to try and make the horror of "We just make clones with 5 year lifespans and enslave them" sound like "We have fancy bio robots"

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I will say, I didn't like the writing for Picard's speech to Renee. It was so overwrought. Every line was a word of wisdom. And Stewart's performance continues to feel off. He has the same delivery for every line.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still working through how I feel about this in Picard, but for me the realization that Replicants are basically just clones actually really unlocks a lot of depth in Blade Runner, insomuch as it suddenly reframes things and the "replicant" designation becomes this branding excercise that Tyrell has been doing to try and make the horror of "We just make clones with 5 year lifespans and enslave them" sound like "We have fancy bio robots"

Same thing here. That revelation made Blade Runner much more interesting to me and in some ways it made accepting Golem Picard as a long time Star Trek fan much easier. I really expected them to go for a recast in Season 2 though with that set up, but then again I also expected them to recast Data by having his memory engrams transferred to B4 who would in turn be played by a younger actor, just for B4 to end up being portrayed by Brent Spiner who explicity killed off Data in Nemesis because he became to old to portray an unaging android. This is the second golden opportunity they missed.

At least them missing opportunities to recast means we're getting more Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner.

Jan 29, 2018

I don't think he and Soji are Androids like Data. They're synthetic in that their bodies are grown, but they're still meat.

Edit: though I guess he must still be different enough to short out the medical zapper. Hmm.

Last edited:

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Same thing here. That revelation made Blade Runner much more interesting to me and in some ways it made accepting Golem Picard as a long time Star Trek fan much easier. I really expected them to go for a recast in Season 2 though with that set up, but then again I also expected them to recast Data by having his memory engrams transferred to B4 who would in turn be played by a younger actor, just for B4 to end up being portrayed by Brent Spiner who explicity killed off Data in Nemesis because he became to old to portray an unaging android. This is the second golden opportunity they missed.

At least them missing opportunities to recast means we're getting more Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner.
It would be controversial among fans, but I would love a Data recast. I could see it working narratively and I would be interested to see how a new actor would interpret and grow the role.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he and Soji are Androids like Data. They're synthetic in that their bodies are grown, but they're still meat.

Edit: though I guess he must still be different enough to short out the medical zapper. Hmm.
If that's true then it makes a lot of Season 1 way dumber. Like, the entire synthetic body thing for Picard becomes truly pointless, even thematically

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Also, I assume I'm not alone in thinking the Paramount Plus TV app to be complete trash? It's the slowest of all the streaming apps we watch, and the fast forward and rewind don't even give you a thumbnail of what's happening on screen. I'm so sad TNG left Netflix.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

Soji is definitely not just standard meat. She was punching through the floor on the Artifact.

If that's true then it makes a lot of Season 1 way dumber. Like, the entire synthetic body thing for Picard becomes truly pointless, even thematically

A new body means a new lease on life. Picard was haunted by a deadly diagnosis and basically shut himself off from everyone pre Season 1. It being of comparable strength doesn't nullify the themes

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

People forget that the ship in Enterprise's opening was on of the early concepts for the X33 Space Plane that was scrapped.

353313main_ED97-43938-3_full.jpg

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
The android shit has always been dumb. I don't even know how you'd hide the fact you're a synthetic being in the future. How would a transporter not know, a doctor not know, those bullshit sensor systems that can find a person's life sign on a fucking planet how did an android/synthetic exist on Earth without knowing to hide itself with all that shit?

Especially when Earth was at one point using them as slave labor and then turned hostile to artificial life.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The android shit has always been dumb. I don't even know how you'd hide the fact you're a synthetic being in the future. How would a transporter not know, a doctor not know, those bullshit sensor systems that can find a person's life sign on a fucking planet how did an android/synthetic exist on Earth without knowing to hide itself with all that shit?

Especially when Earth was at one point using them as slave labor and then turned hostile to artificial life.
Fake biosignatures through the Eisenberg compensator buffer protocol. Or whatever. lol

But yeah, at this point just give me the TNG reunion and basically remake the "future" part of All Good Things. I guess that's the equivalent of skipping forward to the sex scenes in an HBO movie, but this is where we're at now I think. lol

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I am enjoying it a lot. Remember that negative voices are usually louder online, especially with regards to star trek

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
There are dozens of us enjoying it. Don't you worry.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
To all that guessed the clone stuff go collect your points.

All Hail the Future-Present Borg Queen!
I'm starting to worry, it is to obvious now...

I thought the Picard mom stuff was only home violence but the images implied there was an alien attack?

Speaking of spin offs, gimme 7of9 ranger series!
Yeah, I'm expecting a twist there now.

I'm pretty sure the characters didn't think it that through but it's not like the writers forgot, the defibrillator doing what it did and Picard being in a coma for some reason is just a vehicle to go deeper into the to Picard's mental flashbacks that they've been showing all season.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the characters didn't think it that through but it's not like the writers forgot, the defibrillator doing what it did and Picard being in a coma for some reason is just a vehicle to go deeper into the to Picard's mental flashbacks that they've been showing all season.
Yeah that's frankly the entire problem with this show, everything is a vehicle to "get to some idea the writers had", the entire fancy dinner at the first half of this episode just felt someone really wanted to dress the cast up in eveningwear. The whole "high security" gambit felt like someone wanted to "have a heist" but didn't have any interesting ideas for one. This plot constantly contorts around questionably coherent routes to get to endpoints that don't even end up being satisfying when you get there. Its like watching someone shuffle action figures around on a chess board and every ten minutes one of them stops momentarily to say "Well aren't you smart" to someone else

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018

I've actually been wondering if Picard is even still an android? Do we have any confirmation? If Seven never got assimilated and Is just a human then is Picard an alternate version of himself from the other timeline that never became an android? But then wouldn't his brain condition also be back? Well, unless alternate timeline Picard never had the brain condition.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
I've actually been wondering if Picard is even still an android? Do we have any confirmation? If Seven never got assimilated and Is just a human then is Picard an alternate version of himself from the other timeline that never became an android? But then wouldn't his brain condition also be back? Well, unless alternate timeline Picard never had the brain condition.
Yes, Second episode. Q tells him that in the Confed timeline the reason he has the synth body was fight against Dukat, as Q points out Dukats skull