• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
As a big lifelong trek fan, I have zero interest for this and it hurts. I just want thr format of trek of old back.

Paramount seems to be "getting it" a little more recently. Discovery finally showed some rays of hope in S4. Prodigy has been surprisingly good so far. Maybe Picard S2 will join them. I'll always watch anything with Trek in the name and hope for the best!

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Picard was even worse than Discovery, so I have very, very low expectations.

Would LOVE to be proven wrong though.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
The new intro is really lovely. Regardless of how this season turns out, at least that's good.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My problem with S1 stems from that the character and plight of Picard wasn't compelling regardless of whether I viewed it through a lens as a lover of TNG or not

There's a streak of nihilism that also ran through the show that I'm not sure I want to see how that further interprets Guinan, Q or other characters from the idealistic TNG

I'm a sucker for Sci-fi though and if it sucks, it sucks. Probably will catch over the weekend but expectations are low. Kinda interested to see what Terry Matalas brings this year (showrunner and creator of the excellent 12 Monkeys TV show)

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
That was a decent start to the season. It does seem like they're trying to treat this as a fresh start. Details about the first season are kept at a minimum, and everyone's pretty much moved on with the next phase of their lives, which I'm OK with.

It was damn good to see Q again.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a pretty clean start. I think people can straight up skip season 1 and head into this, knowing that Picard did some other stuff in the 30 years.

We're gonna see the Stargazer again, right? No way they spent all that money on multiple sets for a 10 minute scene.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The way they handwaved what happened Juranti is kind of shit, because it doesn't feel like they learned anything from how stupid that characterization was in S1. But hopefully they just want us to forget that even happened, other than being some "alien induced madness" or whatever.

A random observation... I will say, using transporters to harvest grapes seems so redundant considering those grapes are literally just being replicated on the other end... if you're not picking them by hand, what's the point? lol
Also I think I may have heard the Insurrection theme mixed in there, but I could be hearing things...

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah that was a good episode. A fresh start plus a strong focus on Starfleet. Lots of nice references too.
They definitely fixed a copy and paste complaint from last season.

FM606NLXEAMxqoY

Ships listed here include the Sovereign class, Titan, Excelsior, Stargazer, Akira class. Most ships we've seen since First Contact days.

Guinan scene was utterly pointless but there's a chance she'll pop up again later in a more relevant scene.

EDIT: Apparently reviewers got the first 4 episodes and it seems to be very positive. Marked improvement over S1.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting start to the season. Based on the trailers I was not expecting it to start like that.
Also the aging gag for Q was great.

Last edited:

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
That was a pretty good first episode. I disliked the previous season (i felt they totally missed what the character was about and he didn't work as well in that setting) but this one seems to have corrected alot of my issues with it. Excited for more.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up never finishing S1 but some positive impressions means I might just skip to the premiere.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The new Borg Queen design is absolutely horrible.

Q looked amazing though, goddamn.

Glad Soji had a fairly small part in this episode, I just zone out every time she's on screen.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It was alright, but once again riddled with just tons of really weird oversights in the writing.

Like Picard just up and leaving the chateau without telling his girlfriend what's up. There's no mobile communications hundreds of years in the future, huh? Not even a text "yo, admiral business, brb xoxo." Ruthless, Jean-Luc.

Or when the captain of a ship is loudly yelling "STOP FIRING" and the crew of this vessel, who all went through Starfleet Academy and know how obeying rank works just keeps firing and firing and firing.

Just a couple of examples, but that's been so typical and my main gripe of Kurtzman Trek and I'm sorry it's still so obvious in this new season of Picard. So yeah, if the core story stays strong I'll probably keep watching, but too much of this will break me.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
It was alright, but once again riddled with just tons of really weird oversights in the writing.

Like Picard just up and leaving the chateau without telling his girlfriend what's up. There's no mobile communications hundreds of years in the future, huh? Not even a text "yo, admiral business, brb xoxo." Ruthless, Jean-Luc.

Or when the captain of a ship is loudly yelling "STOP FIRING" and the crew of this vessel, who all went through Starfleet Academy and know how obeying rank works just keeps firing and firing and firing.

Just a couple of examples, but that's been so typical and my main gripe of Kurtzman Trek and I'm sorry it's still so obvious in this new season of Picard. So yeah, if the core story stays strong I'll probably keep watching, but too much of this will break me.

Well as far as the first point goes that is his mo right? He did it in the original series too because he was afraid he would stay on earth and not leave.

The second point i agree but the borg are probably the biggest boogeyman the federation has so panic maybe? Old picard would had everyone on review for that shit though.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
When the crew is shocked that the mysterious borg-green anomaly is the Borg.

23Y4fjT.jpg

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Quite like this episode; in TNG, have they ever really went into Picard's younger days? I've seen a majority of the eps but I don't remember.

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
I did not enjoy season 1. Way to serious and dour. The ending with Data was nice, but it felt like a really cheap tack on to cover up for the lackluster season.
LOVED the S1 pilot…hated pretty much everything afterwards (expect Riker/Troy…that was beautiful). I think I'll see what the reactions are to this after a few weeks before trying again.
This is exactly what I felt. S1 had a few nice episodes and moments, especially at the start and then again with Riker, but overall it was not good. The main plot was not interesting and they totally overplayed it, forgetting that people need to care first.

I absolutely loved Guinan and Q in TNG so hoping for good things. I'll definitely wait until all episodes drop though, the bad episodes go by a lot easier.
I'm also a sucker for Q so I'm hoping he still has a lot of fun and chews up the scenery in a good way. Guinan was always great too. Please be good... please be good...

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that was a good episode. A fresh start plus a strong focus on Starfleet. Lots of nice references too.
They definitely fixed a copy and paste complaint from last season.

FM606NLXEAMxqoY

Ships listed here include the Sovereign class, Titan, Excelsior, Stargazer, Akira class. Most ships we've seen since First Contact days.

Guinan scene was utterly pointless but there's a chance she'll pop up again later in a more relevant scene.

EDIT: Apparently reviewers got the first 4 episodes and it seems to be very positive. Marked improvement over S1.

The new post Nemesis era ship designs and their choices of ships to pick from non canon sources have been spot on.

Quite like this episode; in TNG, have they ever really went into Picard's younger days? I've seen a majority of the eps but I don't remember.

Yeah they went into the sibling rivalry with his brother and dropped a few details about young John-Luck that seem to inform this new season of Picard.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Is the season actually about Jean Luc? Or are we stuck with his dopey psycho crew again?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The new post Nemesis era ship designs and their choices of ships to pick from non canon sources have been spot on.

Yeah they went into the sibling rivalry with his brother and dropped a few details about young John-Luck that seem to inform this new season of Picard.
One of the Q episodes explored what would have happened if he hadn't been so brash in his early career.
Thanks, wouldn't mind seeing more of his past. Not sure if I've seen that TNG Q ep though.

Was really nice to see Guinan as well. Even though she wasn't in many eps, she felt pretty impactful in the series.

That season preview, whew.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
This is exactly what I felt. S1 had a few nice episodes and moments, especially at the start and then again with Riker, but overall it was not good. The main plot was not interesting and they totally overplayed it, forgetting that people need to care first.

Indeed. There was just this really odd writing with all the new characters (Agnes, Rios, Elmore, Rafi)… it never felt natural when more than one of them were present on the screen at a given time. I can't put a finger on it; there's was no rhythm or believability to any of it. Season 1 was at its best when legacy characters shared moments together.

This season 2 premiere seems to have solved all that. Very little I didn't like (Seven is still Punished Seven, Jurati drunk on a Starfleet bridge), and a whole lot I did (basically everything else).

This actually feels like part of the Trek universe. The characters all feel real. Seeing multiple Starfleet ship types. Discovery never felt that way to me until Season 4. Prodigy got it right straight off the bat. Lower Decks has its moments, too.

I don't know what's going on at Paramount, but I think they're growing the beard with the rebooted franchise at last.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Gave up on Discovery after season two vowing never to return but as much as I fucking hated the first season of Picard I will probably check out the season opener at least albeit begrudgingly.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Also, well, since Picard is a robot now I'm not even sure what his relationship with the Borg Queen or the Borg would be. He's literally just a program now - positronic, as they had Jurati joke when they had her meet Picard again.

I guess I could also debate whether or not he could represent humanity... but it also feels like another one of the S1 points they are hoping people forget.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
LOVED the S1 pilot…hated pretty much everything afterwards (expect Riker/Troy…that was beautiful). I think I'll see what the reactions are to this after a few weeks before trying again.

Same for me. I was super pumped after the first episode set up, and then really disliked where the story went after that, though I really loved the final scene w/ data.

Also echo the thoughts about Picard's weird ass crew. I didn't really like any of them. And it was very strange to me how they all just quickly got over the fact that Agnes brutally murdered a helpless man on the ship.

Nevertheless I will still be there for day 1 because I love this character so much and I will watch anything he's in, even if it's bad.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't, at least not directly.

Discovery S4 is set in 3190. -600 is 2590, which is 190 years after Picard S2.

This is really nice.

Yeah, some of the ships created for STO was in the season premiere. That was very cool to see.

That reminds, I should try giving that game another chance. I've been super into ST lately.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Picard is now the galaxy's most advanced synthetic lifeform but nothing from the trailers or previews indicate the show will deal with this huge change.

Season 1 left me greatly disappointed. If word of mouth is really, really good. I will subscribe to watch S2 at some point. But right now, it's looking doubtful.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Is the season actually about Jean Luc? Or are we stuck with his dopey psycho crew again?

Based on trailers, yes. Aside from overall awful writing, messy plotting and garbage characterization for Picard that was my biggest complaint of S1, the new supporting characters and their endlessly sarcastic, obnoxiously self-aware, Whedon'esque dialogue. Especially Rafi the drunken, whiny loser who was sooooooo put out that Picard got to live in a chateau mansion while she had to *gasp* vape in a trailer house in the desert (seriously the "economic problems" they tried to retrofit into the endlessly cynical new version of the Federation were so forced and rediculous, not to mention Troi and Riker's baby being denied access to medical care for his condition due to a 'banned' procedure related to the AI/cloning plot or some nonsense) and Alison Pill's constantly idiotic character who straight up murders someone but suffers zero consequences. And of course Picard being turned into a super golem AI life form at the end as that was clearly the only logical end point which made any sense plot wise. Based on initial impressions here I'll give the premier a shot at least but not holding my breath.

Last edited:

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
quite enjoyed it. The world feels better than the first season even after 1 episode. I like the fact they are basically forgetting the first season. Nice seeing all the different star ships.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Season premiere was fine. Potential for a nice mystery. Little strange that everyone was instantly buddy-buddy with Starfleet again.

Wonder if Guinan will show up again or if that was is. There were no other clips of her from the trailers that I recall.

Fantastic de-aging on Q and a nice quip to retcon it.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Unfortunately this was not much better than season 1 for me.
Everything's way too on the nose. Don't make everyone talk so much about the passage of time and second chances! It just comes across as cringey and trying to force feed the audience your point. It takes away any subtlety of the theme.
I swear it feels like the writing quality's gone backwards from TNG. And I'm not a trekkie or anything I just don't remember TNG being this on the nose and tropey.
This show really feels like it has the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It always takes a Star Trek show that isn't TOS a few years to find its footing

Took TNG 2.5 years
DS9 2 years
Voyager 3 years (arguably 4)
Enterprise 4 years (arguably 3)
Discovery 2 years (arguably 3)

so even though i didn't love season 1 I'll give Picard time and see what they do with this season.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Season Preview question:

Soji seems to have been Q'd too? I swear I see flash of her in trailer twice - walking down stairs and kissing someone. Seems like they did a decent send-off for her character at beginning of episode but Q has arbitrarily decided to send her back as well?

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the premiere, and it's nice that they addressed a lot of complaints (actual fleet variety again, more Federation in general). Feel like they're trying too hard to tie everything conveniently together, though. Like the thought of cramming a bunch of Borg tech into a new ship class and naming its lead ship after one most famously associated with Jean Luc Picard seems majorly insensitive lol. Especially since the Borg tech just seemed to be a macguffin so the Borg Queen could hack into it? Just seemed completely unnecessary, it's a new type of Borg ship with a new type of Queen, she could have just been able to do that without having to write in a plot contrivance.

Season Preview question:

Soji seems to have been Q'd too? I swear I see flash of her in trailer twice - walking down stairs and kissing someone. Seems like they did a decent send-off for her character at beginning of episode but Q has arbitrarily decided to send her back as well?
I mean, not necessarily. Because of the Save The Whales slingshot clip, we can infer that Picard etc are going back in time on their own power, not being sent by Q. Perhaps they seek Soji out for assistance because she might know something or may also retain her memories.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it. A really nice touch was when Picard was giving his speech at Starfleet Academy He quoted his mother as pointing to the sky and saying "Let's see what's out there." If you recall, this is what Picard said as the final line of "Encounter at Farpoint." Effectively, the writers retroactively made that line from the pilot a tribute by Picard to his mother.

Last edited: