• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this episode was fine, more so the second half to the first for data, Riker and Picard. They still have a long way to go to get me to care about some of the newer cast though, but they do seem to have strong foundations to build upon if they can get the writing there.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
The Data stuff did nothing for me and part of that is because I am very opposed to the philosophy articulated in it. The dogmatic humanism on mortality and meaning is a parochial and unadventurous insight into what it does or can mean to be human. Meaning is tied to the contingencies of being human and those contingencies alter that meaning depending on what we are, or - there is no stable meaning and this can be thought of in light of our mortality being contingent on our ability to understand and control the different facets of our material being, our bodies. At some point, we could adapt to non-aging, given the appropriate knowledge and circumstance. In the Star Trek universe, it's especially ridiculous that this paradigm shift hasn't been explored seeing as the technology is right there with borg nano-probes and even some of the stuff they've already shown through their medical technology.

Also, Picard 'cutting the cord' with Data seems like an unethical assisted suicide. If we're to take the Data simulation as a living conscious being, then Picard is basically killing somebody who isn't terminally ill (was the pseudo-Data supposed to be eternally trapped in this thing?) . 'Kill me because I want to be dead and isn't it clever that my quest to be human lines up with this too' doesn't seem like a justified reason to kill someone. It reminds me of the Voyager episode where the one Q wanted to end its existence because it was bored of being immortal and omnipotent. I'm a suicide counsellor and I find these kinds of outlooks really negative. I think people consider agelessness in a way that makes them frightened of its potential. It's understandable but ultimately misguided, at least in the sense that it isn't a reason to tie it into dogmas of meaning. The absolute that is exposed in how the writing conceives of meaning this way is repressive.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also I'd prefer they drop the over-arching plots and instead go back to quirky SF writers delivering cool little short stories that fit within a tight 50 min narrative. Build the character traits across this and weave character change into specific episodes. Thans in advance.

I am just going to jump in on this point and say that I hope this style of writing/TV comes back. You can build towards epic, apocolyptic events with your cast but give them time to gel, to have inside jokes, adventures and history instead of trying to do it in the first season. This is very similar to the DC attempt at Justice League. Spend the time and lay the groundwork. If this was season 4 or 5 of Picard, and it ended with him dying (not getting resurrected), the emotional impact would have been much higher. This is why the episodes (or scenes in certain episodes) that have callbacks to history (Riker, Troi, Data, even Seven to a lesser extent) are the strongest episodes in the series.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
JFC, they used IKEA lamps... IKEA lamps!!

6PPQhPS.png

q34T0vL.png

This is not my Star Trek!

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was objectively good about it to you?
The acting was superb.

The overall story, while placed poorly, was fantastically written.

The resolution of Data's storyline.

The wonderful use of legacy characters in respectful ways.

The growth and recovery of Picard.

It had its rough spots but it is by far and wide the best first season of Trek ever.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I really liked the emotional beats in the final, especially the way they ended things for Data - the music was perfect. Yes there were some issues but I enjoyed this whole season and really like the cast - I hope they all return. The flowers coming up to protect the planet looked great but I was disappointed to see so many duplicate ships about. Likely a budget issue but I'd have preferred a smaller number with more variety? Even just have them in the background with less detail on them.

I wonder if all of you who dislike this show think that people like myself who liked it can't see any of these plot holes or scripting issues? I certainly can, but it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the show. I guess some people watch tv for different purposes, for me it's to relax and take myself elsewhere. Picard did a good job of taking me back into the world of Star Trek. Expecting these new shows to be perfect straight off is nuts. Someone compared this to Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones earlier, considered to be two of the best most recent series, and that's mindblowing to me. I'm rewatching TNG for the first time since I was a kid and it has masses of problems in both dialogue, plot holes, and handwaving things with technobabble which doesn't change the validity of the criticisms of Picard but makes me wonder how people would view it if they were produced today.

Next season I'm hoping the new showrunner will help improve some of the areas letting the show down, like the whole thing with Agnes. A single scene about how the mindmeld implanted a command to kill Maddox would have been all they needed to essentially exonerate her but instead they've got her just smiling away with the crew at the end when she should be in the brig. Small improvements here and there would kick it up a notch.
Agreed 1000%

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
iMI am not going to begrudge people not liking this or even hating it,
JFC, they used IKEA lamps... IKEA lamps!!

6PPQhPS.png

q34T0vL.png

This is not my Star Trek!
I can't tell if this is satire at this point. Trek re-used props all the time, and I really don't get the issue with using off the shelf stuff...

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the comments over here you'd think the series was a disaster, I started binge watching it last week, gotta say I'm loving it way more than Discovery, the conversation over at TrekBBS is way less bitter than here at least.

I liked it pretty well, though it is at times pretty dumb. My biggest beef is with Agnes after a certain point.

Talking about it positively here got some people to demand justifications for opinions and called the thread a circle jerk which was pretty silly considering it's mostly negative.

When you are caught up and join the convo, us who enjoy the show could use some more company.

Last edited:

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
The "Emperor Death" of the evil sister is obviously setting up her reappearance as a Borg Queen piloting the artifact next season.

Oct 28, 2017
The "Emperor Death" of the evil sister is obviously setting up her reappearance as a Borg Queen piloting the artifact next season.

I hear the actress is growing out her mustache so can twirl it while delivering her borderline incestuous lines to her brother.

Seriously though they totally ADR'd Seven's "This is for Hugh!!" action hero line. I wonder what happened to put that in there.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Watched the last 3 episodes last night. Solid season. Some good character development and interactions, kept pace reasonably well. Writing was iffy in spots but I think it held up overall. Between this and Discovery I think it's two good entries into the series and the fact they're happening at once is pretty sweet.

Some nice CGI at the end there too.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Interview with the showrunner:
variety.com

‘Star Trek: Picard’ Is Divisive — and Showrunner Michael Chabon Doesn’t Mind at All

In a candid conversation, showrunner Michael Chabon discussed the challenges and rewards in boldly going where no "Trek" has gone before.

A bit about negative fan response
That does cut both ways.

Right. Part of what you're talking about is, for example, the way that I felt about "Star Trek: The Next Generation" when it premiered. I was sitting in front of my TV, watching "Encounter at Farpoint," and I hated it. I kind of hate-watched it — although we didn't have that term then — for most of the first season. At some point in the second season, I realized, oh, wow, that was a good episode. The show actually did get better. It takes a while to figure out what a show is.

As someone who's watched a lot of "Star Trek," you're comparing something that you have now seen once with huge expectations, to something that in some cases you've seen hundreds of times. It takes a while for you to shed your expectations, your biases, your prejudices. I was prejudiced in favor of Mr. Spock, Captain Kirk, Dr. McCoy. It took a long time to lose that.

Some outlook on season 2:
So what does Season 2 look like?

It's going to be different in some ways. It's definitely going to go in directions that we didn't see in Season 1. I think we've been emboldened in many ways by the popularity of the show. I've only done this once, but I would imagine it's probably true for a lot of television shows especially in this era: Season 1 was in many respects about learning how to make "Star Trek: Picard." Both in a production sense, but also in terms of storytelling and who our cast is, how these characters end up forming surprising links and attachments to each other.

It's in a way that I think was probably true back with "TNG" and what I was talking about — everyone agrees, once Riker grew the beard, the show got better. It was because they learned what they had. Going forward, we're only going to be doing more of what we did, with greater confidence and with a greater sense of what this show feels like when it's firing on all engines.

Also seems to confirm that Seven and Raffi are gay

Well, on "Star Trek: Discovery," it was a very big deal that Lt. Stamets, the character played by Anthony Rapp, is gay. So I think there's a certain subset of "Trek" fandom that was excited about seeing that perpetuate on "Picard."

We're doing it in a different way. We're doing it in an organic way — what feels organic to me. It emerged in that scene between Bjayzl and Seven. I think it's pretty explicit, but it's explicit in a way that feels real. Bjayzl doesn't say, "We were lovers." She doesn't say, "We were a couple," or anything like that. She says, "We were incredibly close." It felt, to me, natural. It felt like how somebody would talk about many years later, a relationship that was in the past.

And it will continue to emerge. I think it's a part of our understanding of Raffi's character. In Raffi's scene where she calls into Starfleet to try to get access for them to the Artifact, and calls that old friend of hers, I mean, to me, the implication is there too in their relationship. But she doesn't ever say, "I'm going to call this woman that I used to go out with," and she doesn't say, "Hey, remember me. I used to be your girlfriend."

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
While a bit of variety may have been pleasing, that was probably one of the few things to make sense in this series. Lesson One from the Dominion War. Design a war ship. Make lots of them. Just in case. Doubly so if your shipbuilding yards get decimated down the line and you need to do things faster and more efficiently.

We saw a lot of science vessels get blown to pieces in DS9 fleet battles.

Starfleet seems to keep ships in service for a long time. With Starfleet's main shipyard destroyed in the synth attack they would likely have to keep older ships in service even longer than they were. It doesn't make sense that Starfleet was somehow able to bring hundreds of the same brand new ship for the battle and nothing else.

Oct 28, 2017
Interview with the showrunner:
variety.com

‘Star Trek: Picard’ Is Divisive — and Showrunner Michael Chabon Doesn’t Mind at All

In a candid conversation, showrunner Michael Chabon discussed the challenges and rewards in boldly going where no "Trek" has gone before.

A bit about negative fan response

Some outlook on season 2:

Also seems to confirm that Seven and Raffi are gay

This isnt just about expectations. Its also about fundamental failures in crafting a cohesive, compelling and logical story.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
The majority of people liked what they saw. Don't let the Era bubble fool you.

Youtube review videos, Amazon UK reviews, Metacritic. It's not just Era.

However you are right, most people do seemed to have liked it. But don't let that fool you because there is no benefit in making a show that annoys a large minority of some of the most hardcore fans.

And more importantly PIC wont have the sort of longevity that previous ST shows had. It's like how Nintendo went after casuals with the Wii only to see them disappear.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
There are so many straw men set up to explain why many of us dislike it:
It's serialized
It's too woke
It's modern
etc

We don't dislike it because of that we dislike it because it's not inspiring.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
There are so many straw men set up to explain why many of us dislike it:
It's serialized
It's too woke
It's modern
etc

We don't dislike it because of that we dislike it because it's not inspiring.
I like it when you post about why you dislike it. That's interesting to me, to hear people's opinions. And yours are very different to mine, so it's a good perspective to hear.

Speak for yourself. Have faith in your own taste. Don't try to justify yourself with "other people feel the same".

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Best TV of all time.
TNG is one of the very best and very worst of tv history. I love TNG but these days I skip so much of it for the actual good episodes and encourage other people to do the same.

I think if TNG aired today it would have been sadly cancelled before it got good, especially given the increased competition. Evengood modern tv shows like The Expanse are lucky to survive.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I watched this to the end and so throughly disliked it. Amazing how it does not capitalise correctly on it's own themes, ignores built up Character traits, and indeed managed to be so incredibly cliched. It reminded me of a Marvel movie - I felt literal embarassment multiple times while watching it.

This was not good :(

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Is it even going to go ahead for 3 years? With Covid-19 filming is going to be delayed at least 6 months.

Stewart is 79 as is, 80 in July. He'll be 82/83 by Season 3.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a polarising season for me. Data Makes me cry but the rest is mostly trash. This episode was horrible. Every character just jumping out from behind the camera ignoring actual geograph; the Romulans have 5 different planetary sterilisation patterns? (Actually that maybe doesn't surprise me); synths are ok now gh they have clearly shown themselves able to wipe out all organic life if they have a tantrum; are seven and Rafro a thing now!?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
"Have you fucked any" was terrible. I don't like swearing in this generally - it jars with the universe of the show IMO, and taking it one step further by being that literally explicit was really out of place.

Oct 28, 2017
This is such a polarising season for me. Data Makes me cry but the rest is mostly trash. This episode was horrible. Every character just jumping out from behind the camera ignoring actual geograph; the Romulans have 5 different planetary sterilisation patterns? (Actually that maybe doesn't surprise me); synths are ok now gh they have clearly shown themselves able to wipe out all organic life if they have a tantrum; are seven and Rafro a thing now!?

I wonder if Jonathan Del Arco (Hugh) and Jeri Ryan had a hand in that. Jonathan is gay but wasnt out when he did I, Borg. Over the years he became good friends with Jeri somehow and even appeared in at least one Voyager episode as an alien of the week.

I seem to recall an interview with Jonathan about how he and Jeri were advocates for showing homosexuality openly and plainly in Trek. Maybe they had some success.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Jonathan Del Arco (Hugh) and Jeri Ryan had a hand in that. Jonathan is gay but wasnt out when he did I, Borg. Over the years he became good friends with Jeri somehow and even appeared in at least one Voyager episode as an alien of the week.

I seem to recall an interview with Jonathan about how he and Jeri were advocates for showing homosexuality openly and plainly in Trek. Maybe they had some success.

'but did it come from anywhere:? Had seven and Raffi even spent any time together in the show before they're locking fingers?

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I like it when you post about why you dislike it. That's interesting to me, to hear people's opinions. And yours are very different to mine, so it's a good perspective to hear.

Speak for yourself. Have faith in your own taste. Don't try to justify yourself with "other people feel the same".
I am only pointing out to him what I have heard from others.

You guys probably already know the differing reasons that many of us dislike this show.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Yup they planned out a basic outline for 3 years i think

I'd heard this somewhere too, which makes the whole "golem" thing at the end totally unnecessary. His brain condition could have persisted but not have progressed much throughout the run of the show and that gives you a good plotline for the last season and to finally close out the character. That the body doesn't even make him live longer (absent the stupid death in the episode) makes it even less needed, but it was a stupid Voyager-style reset for no real reason other than 30-seconds worth of characters crying over Picard.