• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this trashy show is dying a steady death. Many of those who still (just about) like it even seem to be losing interest if reddit and assorted messageboards are anything to go by. I'm still very surprised at just how incredibly BAD the writing is; Kurtzman, Chabon and the rest of the team really have a lot to answer for because they've heavily tainted, if not destroyed, the Star Trek that we all once knew and loved.
Is it getting canceled just like Disco is about to be canceled any day now?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like this trashy show is dying a steady death. Many of those who still (just about) like it even seem to be losing interest if reddit and assorted messageboards are anything to go by. I'm still very surprised at just how incredibly BAD the writing is; Kurtzman, Chabon and the rest of the team really have a lot to answer for because they've heavily tainted, if not destroyed, the Star Trek that we all once knew and loved.
I mean, nah.

If Star Trek survived ST09, it can survive anything. Disco and Picard aren't doing any damage to its legacy or future; if anything, they're saving it.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Hasn't it already been renewed for a second series?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and they said it will probably only run for 3 season, Stewart is old and probably doesn't want to do a TV show for 7 years again. Of course people will take it to mean it was a catastrophic failure but whatever.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Hasn't it already been renewed for a second series?
That and the show just had its best numbers since the premier. Pretty sure I just read that.

I wish people would just stop watching as opposed to wishing for a death of a show I actually really like. One of my favorites on the air right now and like the only show I can't miss.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
34def30bba62b28cd51d7d4e248e2ee7.gif

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn the recent Episode with Riker and Deanna was so good! Just great performances all around. I love this show.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017

7fe286784a195f3950c96dbf28428ae6ac9cc7b9.gifv

Embarrassing.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

I utterly disagree I am loving this show,every second of it. If all the episodes were available I would have binged watched it and I don't binged watch shows. This is one of the better shows on right now

If anything this show and Discovery have redeemed the franchise after the Abram films.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Riker is like the best dad in the franchise alongside O'Brien

Worf is easily the worst
Picard was a great dad.

latest

Funnily enough, in the fine tradition of TNG, this last episode forgot about The Inner Light when Picard agreed with Riker that handling a teenager is a totally new experience for him.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Picard was a great dad.

Funnily enough, in the fine tradition of TNG, this last episode forgot about The Inner Light when Picard agreed with Riker that handling a teenager is a totally new experience for him.

Yep, forgetful like the fanbase that keeps spewing that Picard is supposed to hate children after season 5 of TNG. The episode Disaster shows him getting over being uncomfortable around kids, and Inner Light has him raising kids and having a grandchild.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017

In the past 30 days:

Parrot Analytics has found that the audience demand for Star Trek: Picard is 43.5 times the demand of the average TV series in the United States in the last 30 days. 0.2% of all shows in this market have this level of demand.

On a rolling 30-day average basis, we compare TV demand in the United States for Star Trek: Picard to the preceding 30 days: Demand has increased by 34.0%

Star Trek: Picard ranks at the 97.8th percentile in the Action and Adventure genre. This means Star Trek: Picard has higher demand than 97.8% of all Action and Adventure titles in the United States

So, nope.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I don't actually think Picard would count the experiences of TIL as real--it was an elaborate simulation, made as a tribute to those people.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Yep, forgetful like the fanbase that keeps spewing that Picard is supposed to hate children after season 5 of TNG. The episode Disaster shows him getting over being uncomfortable around kids, and Inner Light has him raising kids and having a grandchild.
To your point, Stewart's performance in this show is in line with how I would expect Picard to behave after his experience in The Inner Light. He didn't really change at all in TNG, but within that one episode Picard totally mellowed out as he grew older.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
No, you can see how deeply his life on Kataan affected him when he shares his story with cmdr Daren in the episode Lessons.
Ah, shoot.

It could still be explained as him reconciling it somehow, in the interim time between then and now. I'm hesitant to call it a plot hole because this show has made a great effort to consider niche stuff in Trek lore.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, shoot.

It could still be explained as him reconciling it somehow, in the interim time between then and now. I'm hesitant to call it a plot hole because this show has made a great effort to consider niche stuff in Trek lore.
For what it's worth, besides that one quasi-sequel episode, TNG also ignored TIL. I've made my peace with that. TNG as a production was not equipped to reinvent the lead character midway through the series. TV just didn't do that back then. Picard (the show) can do that, but to acknowledge TIL as a life-altering experience - or, rather, another life altogether - would actually betray TNG. If his life on Kataan was something that Jean Luc truly thought of as real, he should've behaved that way throughout the rest of seasons 5, 6, and 7 of TNG. But he didn't. He stayed as the character he always was because it was the damn 90s and the alternative was probably inconceivable.

The Inner Light is just too damn good. It's so good that it breaks Star Trek and it breaks Picard, so the writers have to ignore it. I know it's Stewart's favorite episode, however, so I like to think it informs his performance in this new show.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually really annoyed about Hugh. Not even sure why, but it's bugging me how the show seems to be just offing every returning Trek character that wasn't a main cast member.

Would not bet against Seven of Nine dying next ep at this point.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, besides that one quasi-sequel episode, TNG also ignored TIL. I've made my peace with that. TNG as a production was not equipped to reinvent the lead character midway through the series. TV just didn't do that back then. Picard (the show) can do that, but to acknowledge TIL as a life-altering experience - or, rather, another life altogether - would actually betray TNG. If his life on Kataan was something that Jean Luc truly thought of as real, he should've behaved that way throughout the rest of seasons 5, 6, and 7 of TNG. But he didn't. He stayed as the character he always was because it was the damn 90s and the alternative was probably inconceivable.

The Inner Light is just too damn good. It's so good that it breaks Star Trek and it breaks Picard, so the writers have to ignore it. I know it's Stewart's favorite episode, however, so I like to think it informs his performance in this new show.
Originally, I never even thought about it. But in a rewatch, I rationalised it as Troi just doing her job really well.

But yeah, a lot of the big, wildly traumatic episodes (in every series) get kinda brushed off long term.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
All the ex Borg just got killed and Hugh said an ex Borg was needed as he died. Hmm, if only there was another ex Borg somewhere.

So we still don't know if Oh is Romulan or Vulcan? She did a mind meld but Romulans cannot mind meld, suggesting she is Vulcan, but Frakes said she is Romulan. She also wears sunglasses which a Vulcan doesn't need.

Did the writer not know Romulans cannot mind meld despite their link to Vulcans? Not aware of the sunglasses thing? Frakes just got it wrong?

She could be half Romulan, half Vulcan. She could be a Vulcan in the employ of the Romulans, she could be a Vulcan who was raised on Romulus, she could be a number of things I'm not smart enough to anticipate that explain all this. Probably better to wait and see how it plays out before we just assume the people running Star Trek don't understand basic Star Trek stuff.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

I find it easier and more enjoyable to assume that it was such a significant thing, to live another life entirely in that way, that it took Picard years, even decades, to come to grips with on a fundamental level. We see that happen with traumatic or otherwise life-altering events in real life all the time; something that affects us so deeply that we can't come to terms with it immediately, but are eventually forced to reconcile in some way or another.

An older, wiser Picard, 20 years removed from Star Fleet with plenty of time to consider, reflect upon and grow from the experience, certainly seems plausible to me, at least.

Oct 25, 2017
She could be half Romulan, half Vulcan. She could be a Vulcan in the employ of the Romulans, she could be a Vulcan who was raised on Romulus, she could be a number of things I'm not smart enough to anticipate that explain all this. Probably better to wait and see how it plays out before we just assume the people running Star Trek don't understand basic Star Trek stuff.

Vulcans were also against reunification so it could be a Vulcan working with Romulans

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of signal did the "totally not an elf warrior" turn on at the end? I must have missed it when that was introduced.

BTW. As ridiculous as that character is I kind of like him. Could partially just be though because he's one of the few people who isn't just miserable all the time.

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of signal did the "totally not an elf warrior" turn on at the end? I must have missed it when that was introduced.

BTW. As ridiculous as that character is I kind of like him. Could partially just be though because he's one of the few people who isn't just miserable all the time.
A beacon that calls the Fenris Rangers, who Seven is a part of.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017

The Jeri Ryan bat signal

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
The show is absolutely not "dying a death" in any way, shape or form.

There is a small but loud online vocal minority who can't handle their media not being exactly how they imagined it would be in their heads before release, and it breaks them and causes absolutely vitriolic attacks which eventually lead to actors leaving twitter and other social media due to continuous excessive harassment about their damn spaceship show / film.

Just because you don't like the direction something has taken does not give you the right to be nasty and carry out attacks online. Whatever happened to constructive, friendly criticism with peers who are fans of the same property? Oh yeah, YouTube allow the alt-right gamergaters, Red Letter Media groups and toxic sexist intolerant 'fans' to thrive unchallenged. Ugh.

I didn't hear until now that Michael Chabon was leaving as showrunner after this season, hopefully whoever is in charge next season may be more to people's liking. Although I've had issues with some of the script and using cheap deaths as a narrative device (especially the fridging of Soji in the pilot episode to inspire Picard to leave his cosy vineyard), overall I am enjoying the show a lot. This last episode has given me hope that they at least have a solid plan in mind and know where they're going with the season arc. Even if if won't be to everyone's satisfaction.

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
So I re-watched the scene with Agnes and Rios. Rios definitely knows whats up. During their conversation, he brings up Raffi's trip to Free Could and wonders why her trip was so short and what she could have been doing. But he knows what she was doing because in the last episode, she tells him about her son and his pregnant wife. So the "airlock" conversation with Rios and Raffi was definitely friendly banter between the two. Rios doesn't threaten to blow her out an airlock. Raffi is the one who brings that up, not Rios. Rios replies that he hopes he doesn't have to. Raffi has a "bad joke" look on her face as a response and the scene moves on to Agnes' coma. Seems like misdirection by the director to me.
Completely agree.
I definitely thought Rios knew what was up with the particular way he was talking to Agnes there, even though they stopped just short of confirming it and the joke between Raffi and Rios. And that's a great point about how him bringing up Raffi's trip was only a tactic in his questioning of Agnes since he's actually already aware of what Raffi was doing since they just talked about it last time when he came to her quarters to try to help Raffi deal with what happened between her and her son after she got back to the ship.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it seems to be doing very well. I'm loving the show overall.

Storytelling caveats aside (and hey what do I know, I don't write stories for a living), I do think it's really neat that we get to see his answers to random fan questions about the show so quickly after an episode, and I'll miss the stories when he leaves the showrunner position after this season.
Yeah it's pretty cool.
Oh I didn't realize he was just in for the first season.

Chabon has teased that we'll learn more about the holograms on the ship, and suggested that the Federation put in limits so that holograms can't gain sentience like The Doctor or Moriarty.

We should be seeing those limits defined in upcoming episodes.
Nice they've been fun so learning more about them will be cool.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
So we still don't know if Oh is Romulan or Vulcan? She did a mind meld but Romulans cannot mind meld, suggesting she is Vulcan, but Frakes said she is Romulan. She also wears sunglasses which a Vulcan doesn't need.

Did the writer not know Romulans cannot mind meld despite their link to Vulcans? Not aware of the sunglasses thing? Frakes just got it wrong?
Who says romulans can't mind meld? I don't remember that ever being stated.🤔

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
another lost sheep led astray by the false Shepherd midnight edge how sad

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Quark probably angel invested in miniaturisation after his experiences. (In secret, of course.)

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when subspace transmitters were huge things.

theascent_313.jpg

Now they're the size of a button.
Picard takes place decades after that DS9 episode? Technology shrinks.

Also the one Odo and Quark had wasn't really meant to be mobile, they removed it from the Rio Grande and dragged it onto a mountain out of necessity.

Remember when cameras were huge things?

42dc612d-53f8-43ac-bnhka0.jpeg

Now they're the size of a button.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Though the show has plenty of well-established weaknesses, I still think this is probably the best Season One of a Star Trek show with perhaps the exception of TOS. Which isn't so much an indication of quality so much as it's a reminder that Season One Trek is dreck.

Overall, enjoying this show much more than I did Season One of Discovery. I still have a lot of issues with Season Two as well, but it was an improvement. Hopefully Picard can get a similar shot in the arm for all the folks feeling disappointed.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
So I re-watched the scene with Agnes and Rios. Rios definitely knows whats up. During their conversation, he brings up Raffi's trip to Free Could and wonders why her trip was so short and what she could have been doing. But he knows what she was doing because in the last episode, she tells him about her son and his pregnant wife. So the "airlock" conversation with Rios and Raffi was definitely friendly banter between the two. Rios doesn't threaten to blow her out an airlock. Raffi is the one who brings that up, not Rios. Rios replies that he hopes he doesn't have to. Raffi has a "bad joke" look on her face as a response and the scene moves on to Agnes' coma. Seems like misdirection by the director to me.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty clear too. Rios telling Agnes that he didn't know what Raffi was up to in Freecloud gave it away, since Rios and Raffi had an entire scene where they talked about that. Plus Raffi's face when Rios "threatens" to eject her out of an airlock. Rios and Raffi definitely have been suspecting Agnes of something for a while now, at least after her panic attack while caught in the tractor beam.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Look forward to seeing you in the S2 thread!

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek is the most alive its been since the 90's

Its not perfect but at least we haven't reached the lows of the other shows yet

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Though the show has plenty of well-established weaknesses, I still think this is probably the best Season One of a Star Trek show with perhaps the exception of TOS. Which isn't so much an indication of quality so much as it's a reminder that Season One Trek is dreck.

Overall, enjoying this show much more than I did Season One of Discovery. I still have a lot of issues with Season Two as well, but it was an improvement. Hopefully Picard can get a similar shot in the arm for all the folks feeling disappointed.
Star Trek is the most alive its been since the 90's

Its not perfect but at least we haven't reached the lows of the other shows yet

As someone who didn't enjoy Discovery (with the exception of a few episodes) and doesn't enjoy Picard (with the exception of the ten minutes of Picard, Riker and Troi hanging out) I will concede that these shows are generally watchable and competently made, as opposed to some of Star Trek's worst season 1 episodes. I think that this is fair to say when trying to judge these shows objectively.

That said, does anyone of us truly believe that these shows can produce episodes that are as good as Star Trek's best? We've had two seasons of Discovery, did we get its Measure of a Man, Q Who, Duet? Do people honestly expect that Picard will manage to produce a true classic?