• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are some of you forgetting he's meant to be 94 years old in this series? I'd say a good number of 90+ year old people tend to embrace their eccentric side a bit more as they age.. I can forgive some of the silliness.

The thing that bothered me most about this week's ep was the stupid pop-up ad stuff, that just didn't feel right at all.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Just absolute madness in this thread. The first episode of DS9 is better than all of Picard.

It actually does what Picard wants to do better. We understand why Sisko hates Picard and how he can't get over it. We see the tension in the meeting with the two. We don't get that with Raffi and Picard, we just get some cheap flashback and vagueness. I truly think Picard would have been better if they just focused on the 13 years ago plot.

Are some of you forgetting he's meant to be 94 years old in this series? I'd say a good number of 90+ year old people tend to embrace their eccentric side a bit more as they age.. I can forgive some of the silliness.

The thing that bothered me most about this week's ep was the stupid pop-up ad stuff, that just didn't feel right at all.

Ya I hated that too. Alison Pill's reaction to them seemed so off.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hate to say it, but not feeling this show the more it goes on.

In better news though we managed to get tickets to see Galaxy Quest at the cinema, introduced by Mark Kermode.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It actually does what Picard wants to do better. We understand why Sisko hates Picard and how he can't get over it. We see the tension in the meeting with the two. We don't get that with Raffi and Picard, we just get some cheap flashback and vagueness. I truly think Picard would have been better if they just focused on the 13 years ago plot.

The lead-in novel covers their mission together, it's pretty good.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017

I wonder what being in your 90s is like in Star Trek, where the average lifespan is like 140 or something.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
The lead-in novel covers their mission together, it's pretty good.

This is dumb. I don't really care about lead in novels. I hate this method of modern storytelling. I am watching Picard. I shouldn't have to follow all the comics and stuff to care about a character that is on a show. ST09 was the same thing. Anytime someone says "but in the comic" means that the show has done a shit job in storytelling.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is dumb. I don't really care about lead in novels. I hate this method of modern storytelling. I am watching Picard. I shouldn't have to follow all the comics and stuff to care about a character that is on a show. ST09 was the same thing. Anytime someone says "but in the comic" means that the show has done a shit job in storytelling.

They're covering the majority of the book in the show flashbacks though, especially now with the agnes and maddox relationship reveal.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what being in your 90s is like in Star Trek, where the average lifespan is like 140 or something.
I don't think the average is that high, I think it's more around 100-120. Exceptional people can live longer but we've only seen two or three instances of people that old.

Difference is that people stay in their prime for longer. Picard was still in his prime in his 60s and 70s.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Post Roddenberry but pre rights split there was the Tom Paris/Nick Locarno thing with Voyager, where Paris (who had a similar backstory and was played by the same actor) was possibly created because they didn't want to pay Locarno's creators. That might not be true, but it's a popular theory.
Ron Moore was a staff writer, wouldn't a character he created have becomes Paramount's property?🤔
I actually believe the official explanation that they wanted a character like Locarno but more sympathetic, the difference in their backstories is that Locarno got one of his friends killed, then convinced his other friends to blame the dead guy a d never considered telling the truth, it was Wesley who confessed and ruined Locarno's plan. Paris got people killed, would have gotten away with it after manipulating records but came forward and told the truth on his own.
I can see the Voyager producers thinking Locarno was too unsympathetic, he wasn't a Maquis fighting for survival, he was just an asshole who pinned his mistakes on a dead guy. The dead guy's father even had a scene were he apologized for his son almost killing the others too iirc, Locarno was trash.

I have to agree with this.
Sadly the best Star Trek currently being produced is still The Orville.
The Orville is a TNG ripoff, it's a fan film with a budget and the serial numbers filed off and Star Trek fans only like it because it's not Star Trek. If it was branded as "Star Trek Orville" everyone and their aunt would complain that it's too much like TNG, doesn't offer anything new, the writers suck because they couldn't come up with an original idea within the vast Star Trek universe etc.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think the average is that high, I think it's more around 100-120. Exceptional people can live longer but we've only seen two or three instances of people that old.

Difference is that people stay in their prime for longer. Picard was still in his prime in his 60s and 70s.
What would make them exceptional? Bones was like 130's and he was always just a normal guy.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Picards in good shape for a 90 year old who's been through the shit he has.

He had his heart stabbed and replaced as a young man, the Borg assimilation, the torture by the Cardassians.

I think only Chief O'Brien has suffered more in the franchise

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Picards in good shape for a 90 year old who's been through the shit he has.

He had his heart stabbed and replaced as a young man, the Borg assimilation, the torture by the Cardassians.

I think only Chief O'Brien has suffered more in the franchise

Don't they have characters who are like 200 years old walking around because of the advances in medical tech?

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really like Discovery and the older shows, loved classic series when was young, but this show is surely BORING, and too much goofiness in this episode, the whole disguise thing....

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
The difference I see is in the context. Holodeck adventures are recreational, this was a life or death situation for multiple people.

He's the most fun of the crew so far. Obviously hansoloish but the actor is doing a good job giving the character a unique identity.

Well, there was the time Picard and Lilly went into the holodeck and played out a Dixon Hill chapter just to fool and shoot some Borg.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I really like Discovery and the older shows, loved classic series when was young, but this show is surely BORING, and too much goofiness in this episode, the whole disguise thing....

Nothing wrong with goofy, Star Trek is goofy. i just don't think it's balancing the tones well at all, especially in an episode that has some of the most oh-we're-acting-now melodrama we've seen so far.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about this show. It started out great and has kind of gone downhill. Also, something about raffi does it for me. I think it's the hair

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Isn't Seven bi now? That's what was implied, right?

The android plotline, even though it's the thrust of the show's main plot, does feel like it gets in the way of the much more interesting backdrop of the Romulan refugee crisis.
There really isn't much to the android story right now. She's basically been a macguffin for Picard up to this point, when she's not the object of discussion for the Cruel Intentions twins.

As a character so far, she doesn't have much agency or intent. She's someone whom people talk about and things happen to, but she hasn't done anything that moves her own story forward.

While I'm enjoying the show, this part is bothering me a lot.

The android who had a plot and took agency died halfway through episode 1.

The one we're then left with is an unaware object going through motions that aren't even real (fake identity and memories, put on the cube by someone else for their own reasons and not hers.)

Picard's empathy and urgency to save the surviving android has so far fallen flat, since the person he is trying to rescue is a non-entity.

I think a more engaging story would be something like, when Dahj activated, Soji did at the same time as a failsafe. And would have been working this entire time from her end to survive until she could meet up with Picard. The tension would come from neither of them being sure if the other was really out there searching, but they have to try.

The terribly stretched out subplot of the Conflicted Evil Agent seducing Soji could have been relegated to a couple of flashbacks to explain how Soji was being worked up until she activated.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't particularly like any of the characters besides Garak, Quark, and Odo. I found the overarching plot dragging. I really hated the ending as well.

I somewhat agree. Garak, Quark and Odo were the best characters by far, the plot could have been paced better and the ending was truly awful.

Well, there was the time Picard and Lilly went into the holodeck and played out a Dixon Hill chapter just to fool and shoot some Borg.

Indeed!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You know what the funny thing about Raffi's son is? If she explained to Picard that her inability to let go of her conspiracy theories DESTROYED HER FUCKING FAMILY I might actually have had more sympathy for her early in the series.

Instead she positioned herself as someone who chose to live in a trailer in the desert because she lost her job. Why, Raffi?

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what the funny thing about Raffi's son is? If she explained to Picard that her inability to let go of her conspiracy theories DESTROYED HER FUCKING FAMILY I might actually have had more sympathy for her early in the series.

Instead she positioned herself as someone who chose to live in a trailer in the desert because she lost her job. Why, Raffi?
Did you not catch her insistence during the flashbacks that the attack on Mars didn't line up? This shouldn't have been hard to put together along with the fact that they're not talking and she lives in a desert. I think it was even mentioned in passing since.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Did you not catch her insistence during the flashbacks that the attack on Mars didn't line up? This shouldn't have been hard to put together along with the fact that they're not talking and she lives in a desert. I think it was even mentioned in passing since.

She didn't mention that she had a husband or a kid, as far as I can remember. I don't have a problem with her thinking she's right about her theories, but if she had mentioned that her refusal to let go cost her her family it would've been much more effective.

Jan 29, 2018
Episode 5 wasn't as great as 4 but I still mostly liked it. It was nice to see Seven in action again though I would've liked to see a little more of her and Picard just conversing. So I gather she's with these Rangers patrolling this lawless space where the Neutral Zone used to be, but the Romulans still have defined space (the Artifact is in their borders) so why no Neutral Zone anymore? Obviously the destruction of Romulus would be devastating but I wish the show was clearer on how functional or not the rest of their Empire is. I would think they'd still have most of their fleet.

Jurati being up to something was obvious but it looks like it's more than just "report back to Oh what Picard's up to". Hopefully Soji being the "Destroyer" is more of a metaphor and we don't actually have to save all life in the galaxy like we just did two seasons in a row on Discovery.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She didn't mention that she had a husband or a kid, as far as I can remember. I don't have a problem with her thinking she's right about her theories, but if she had mentioned that her refusal to let go cost her her family it would've been much more effective.
She said she lost everything though. But fair. Could have been more on the nose.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
She said she lost everything though. But fair. Could have been more on the nose.

Yeah, I think the criticism is more that it could have been laid upfront that the conspiracy theories wrecked her family life, prior to Gabriel being revealed as the reason she wanted to get to Freecloud this episode. Given this is a streaming show where everything has been pretty much planned out in advance, it feels like an omission for the sake of maximising the 'reveal' that her son is what she's after, when honestly that wouldn't have been lost had it briefly come up back on Earth. Plus, there'd be more of an arc of her implicitly conditioning her help on whether or not she can fix her family life, to then reach this moment where, sadly, she's gotta move on regardless.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Idea: Seven gets a Fenris Rangers spin-off but it turns out they're proper Super Sentai/Power Rangers-type Rangers and every episode ends with Seven fucking up the bad guy with a giant transforming robot made out of reclaimed Borg tech.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Idea: Seven gets a Fenris Rangers spin-off but it turns out they're proper Super Sentai/Power Rangers-type Rangers and every episode ends with Seven fucking up the bad guy with a giant transforming robot made out of reclaimed Borg tech.

Thought she was trying to get away from the skintight outfits

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Episode 5 wasn't as great as 4 but I still mostly liked it. It was nice to see Seven in action again though I would've liked to see a little more of her and Picard just conversing. So I gather she's with these Rangers patrolling this lawless space where the Neutral Zone used to be, but the Romulans still have defined space (the Artifact is in their borders) so why no Neutral Zone anymore? Obviously the destruction of Romulus would be devastating but I wish the show was clearer on how functional or not the rest of their Empire is. I would think they'd still have most of their fleet.

Jurati being up to something was obvious but it looks like it's more than just "report back to Oh what Picard's up to". Hopefully Soji being the "Destroyer" is more of a metaphor and we don't actually have to save all life in the galaxy like we just did two seasons in a row on Discovery.
I wish the world building in general wasn't so vague. For all the work showing us the places that are outside of normal civilization I think that it makes it seem a little too narrow, at least in thinking if it continues like this down the line. If the Romulans are such a big deal in this plot why aren't we seeing anywhere else in their empire - they must still have some worlds colonized with large, modern cities. Perhaps it is a little too early to think that they won't get to that eventually I suppose. Maybe we'll see Narek travel back to some more developed place in Romulan territory later on.

I think that if they want to do this allegory about our current political situations then maybe they could scale up a little here, eventually. I don't know how well this allegory can be developed if the plot is always situated in small or exotic locales outside of everything else. It seems kind of needless to only want to tell this story from the outside.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the world building in general wasn't so vague. For all the work showing us the places that are outside of normal civilization I think that it makes it seem a little too narrow, at least in thinking if it continues like this down the line. If the Romulans are such a big deal in this plot why aren't we seeing anywhere else in their empire - they must still have some worlds colonized with large, modern cities. Perhaps it is a little too early to think that they won't get to that eventually I suppose. Maybe we'll see Narek travel back to some more developed place in Romulan territory later on.

I think that if they want to do this allegory about our current political situations then maybe they could scale up a little here, eventually. I don't know how well this allegory can be developed if the plot is always situated in small or exotic locales outside of everything else. It seems kind of needless to only want to tell this story from the outside.

Unfortunately I think this is where Soji, as our non-Picard centred PoV character, is one of the limiting factors. Because the rationale of her as a PoV character is explicitly tied to Dahj, who was Picard-tied until she blew up. As such, the show doesn't readily permit having PoVs outside of that branching path from Picard (unless they say screw it later on), and so we can't get so readily a wider perspective on things.

Annoyingly, I feel like what could have killed two or three birds (of prey) with one stone would be what I've mentioned to missing from the roster at the moment: An actual Starfleet officer. Maybe a relatively young one in charge of a small ship who's doing a lot of the busy work between the Federation and the Romulan Free State. A PoV character tied to the political state of affairs that could allow us insight into the various worlds concerned; even if it's something as simple as discussions of what colony they've gotta ferry an ambassador preaching the Free State gospel to the diaspora. A show like Picard, showing life outside of Starfleet, would have been way easier in the TNG era where it was assumed nothing was largely different from the existing setting, but much of Picard's premise is built on how things have changed. Limiting our ability to actually know what's changed is... kinda annoying, even if it's justified by the context of the show

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just a bit bored. 5 episodes in and nothing has really happened except they know where Soji is, and a couple of snippets suggesting the attack on mars wasn't necessarily clear cut, and somethin gf secret about the synths which IMO we're too in the dark to really care about

just too slow and trying to be perhaps too clever about secrets and lies without enough substance to keep us going

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I think this is where Soji, as our non-Picard centred PoV character, is one of the limiting factors. Because the rationale of her as a PoV character is explicitly tied to Dahj, who was Picard-tied until she blew up. As such, the show doesn't readily permit having PoVs outside of that branching path from Picard (unless they say screw it later on), and so we can't get so readily a wider perspective on things.

Annoyingly, I feel like what could have killed two or three birds (of prey) with one stone would be what I've mentioned to missing from the roster at the moment: An actual Starfleet officer. Maybe a relatively young one in charge of a small ship who's doing a lot of the busy work between the Federation and the Romulan Free State. A PoV character tied to the political state of affairs that could allow us insight into the various worlds concerned; even if it's something as simple as discussions of what colony they've gotta ferry an ambassador preaching the Free State gospel to the diaspora. A show like Picard, showing life outside of Starfleet, would have been way easier in the TNG era where it was assumed nothing was largely different from the existing setting, but much of Picard's premise is built on how things have changed. Limiting our ability to actually know what's changed is... kinda annoying, even if it's justified by the context of the show

That could maybe work if it was someone like Gordi or Worf (or a Vulcan from TNG that Picard was close to...if there is someone like that) that would relay info and try to help Picard while still within Starfleet, but from what happened, a younger cadet would have to go AWOL to go off and help Picard like you're suggesting.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
That could maybe work if it was someone like Gordi or Worf (or a Vulcan from TNG that Picard was close to...if there is someone like that) that would relay info and try to help Picard while still within Starfleet, but from what happened, a younger cadet would have to go AWOL to go off and help Picard like you're suggesting.

See, that's what I mean. Because my example wouldn't even necessarily help, or even interact with, Picard, at least for a while. You'd have to have some point of interconnection, mind you, like say, this up and coming officer being on the night shift when their ship comes across Picard or whatever, but the service rendered would be that of a differing perspective.

Mind you... that's also kind of an interesting thing to think about with Geordi. Like, background fluff here has him as the guy in charge of the actual fleet construction. It'd be totally easy to have him invested in figuring out what the hell went wrong there, while not being quite so drastic as Picard to fly out into the former neutral zone to find his answers. I feel like LeVar Burton would be easily up to it too; I get a desire to work with a new cast and crew that you can do the most with (and not have to pay as much for), but that stinks as a big missed opportunity.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It probably doesn't help the episodes are so short. It was clearly made to be aired on TV at some point. Each episode is only probably 35 minutes once you cut the credits, intro and recap.

Also it should have been a 2 part premier to get the ball rolling but I guess since they only have 8 (9?) episodes you gotta stretch it out.

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I in the mirror universe right now? seriously
source.gif

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this show is awesome on paper and awful in execution. It tries so hard to be an edgy streaming drama, but it feels so listless most of the time. I took a long time warming up to Discovery, but that show succeeds equally at being a great Star Trek show and feeling new and distinct within the franchise. This show doesn't even succeed on a "nostalgia feels" level, because it's so preoccupied with drip-feeding us information on what happened in the time gap between ST: Nemesis and now. It's been five episodes and I barely know anything about Picard's new crew, and I don't care to spend any more time with them.

Any other Star Trek show would have devoted an entire episode (probably a two-parter) to Picard and Seven of Nine coming to terms with their shared de-assimilation trauma, but we only got 30 seconds here. Wouldn't Seven be uniquely motivated to help save a sentient android girl? Who knows!

the Cruel Intentions twins.

OMG.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Frakes in the latter part of this podcast rates PIC above TNG! Hyperbolic PR.

Woah. Haha. Hyperbolic indeed.

But he sounds very enthusiastic about the season as a whole and where the show is heading. So, good stuff.

He's a good sport and never says anything too negative about any show and episode he works with, but he was candid about Disco having problems at the beginning and the show getting better in season 2.

EDIT: Listening more, he doesn't exactly say that it's better than TNG but he does say that it's one of the things he's been the most proud of and that the fan reception is better at the beginning than for anything else. He remembers the fan conventions before TNG and the first seasons, and it was a very mixed reception. He says the anticipation and initial reception to Picard is much better.

Last edited: