• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Cool that's a pretty good translation. I know some German but couldn't really think of a good translation other than a literal one.

Yeah they really did the shows justice with the dubs and even got old Picard perfectly right. And don't worry about it, German is actually one of the harder languages to learn for non natives speakers so cool that you know some of it! :)

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first episode of the show, then started watching TNG for the first time. I've seen all the movies and I know a ton about it, but I've never actually sat down and watched it. Now, it's part of my nightly ritual, going through all the episodes I've heard of for so long and checking out the weirdly adorable funny ones that you don't usually see on top ten lists.

I just went from 'Allegiance' to episode three in 'Picard,' and just the difference in the way television is structured and shot is astounding. It's not really 'Picard's' fault, it's just the modernity of filmmaking and prestige TV these days, but comparing the two is fascinating.

I really miss the carpeted sets, harsh TV lighting, constant stream of awesome guest stars and character actors. I had no idea Tony Todd was Worf's brother! Or that Shooter McGavin briefly got to captain his own doomed Enterprise. Today's shows are so serialized, you don't have all new stories to cast for and sets to design. You could never have silly holodeck episodes anymore, or people would be tripping over themselves to call it a "bottle episode" first. I LOVE being able to just pick any episode at my leisure, watch one before bed and call it a night.

Even the way scenes are shot and edited in TNG seems like ancient history. The dialogue is almost theatrical, it's not naturalistic at all and the takes are suuuuper long. I can hear Brent Spiner and Levar Burton getting overwhelmed by all the techno babble they have to memorize after like a four-minute conversation walking through engineering with no cuts. By comparison, that conversation with Rafi in the cold open had more jarring cuts than a WWE match, it's just dialogue at breakneck speed.

Watching TNG, I you can still see the foundation of a '60s show produced at Desilu. The language of television production and editing just doesn't work that way anymore, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. Modernity doesn't really suit Star Trek.

I agree with all of this. That style of TV is gone and TNG was kind of the high-brow version of that style of 90s episodic sci-fi. I suppose, in actuality, it invented it really.

In terms of carpeted sets and harsh lighting, I can't say I miss that per say but it definitely was a look and a choice.

It sounds like you're doing a first viewing jumping around, so if you're interested in "what if" scenarios, take a look at "Yesterday's Enterprise" if you want to see what the show could have looked like on a daily basis with more realistic/better lighting. In that episode, the lighting is militaristic by nature, but it could have been done so much better even in normal episodes, and the show would have visually aged better for it. I can't remember if the flat lighting was a Roddenberry or Berman choice back in the day.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they really did the shows justice with the dubs and even got old Picard perfectly right. And don't worry about it, German is actually one of the harder languages to learn for non natives speakers so cool that you know some of it! :)
Yeah I had German in school (I'm Dutch) and we get a lot of German visitors where I live. Glad to hear you have a good dub. From what I understand the quality of these foreign dubs can be pretty terrible.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had German in school (I'm Dutch) and we get a lot of German visitors where I live. Glad to hear you have a good dub. From what I understand the quality of these foreign dubs can be pretty terrible.

Ah I see, I actually have a Dutch friend, she taught me a few Dutch words but that's about it. And yeah in my opinion Germany was really great about dubs in the 90's and early 2000, anime dubs have taken a bit of a ditch lately but live-action TV shows are generally still as good.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
It sounds like you're doing a first viewing jumping around, so if you're interested in "what if" scenarios, take a look at "Yesterday's Enterprise" if you want to see what the show could have looked like on a daily basis with more realistic/better lighting. In that episode, the lighting is militaristic by nature, but it could have been done so much better even in normal episodes, and the show would have visually aged better for it. I can't remember if the flat lighting was a Roddenberry or Berman choice back in the day.

Boring lighting would seem somewhat consistent with Berman's "wallpaper" opinion of music which led to the soundtrack quality declining after TNG season 4, but I'm not sure if he was primarily responsible for the look of the show, especially early on.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone roll their eyes when they said Romulan houses have a fake front door and the real one is round the back?

Because Romulans are secretive. Get it?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Boring lighting would seem somewhat consistent with Berman's "wallpaper" opinion of music which led to the soundtrack quality declining after TNG season 4, but I'm not sure if he was actually responsible.

Yeah, the music thing is frustrating, particularly after BoBW had such an amazing and DIFFERENT score. The Berman decree for no percussion was also always completely bizarre.

Anyone roll their eyes when they said Romulan houses have a fake front door and the real one is round the back?

Half of my social circle may as well have fake front doors as often as they use them. I mean, roll your eyes at world-building I suppose. Then you'd just complain about there not being any of that too, so I guess we'd have to suffer through those posts at that point.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half of my social circle may as well have fake front doors as often as they use them. I mean, roll your eyes at world-building I suppose. Then you'd just complain about there not being any of that too, so I guess we'd have to suffer through those posts at that point.

It is like an idea a child would have. Secretive society so they all have fake front doors. They would all know they are fake, so nothing is secretive, so there is no point. It's just stupid.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like they should have edited these 3 episodes into a 2 hour movie.

Very much so

I appreciate breathing room I really do, but looking at the three episodes now it's really verging on 'filler' territory in relation to driving the thrust of the plot forward

I know retreading TNG isn't the point, but man the breadth of plot, themes and some ground many of those 42 minutes covered are god tier compared to this

And I say this as someone who isn't having a bad time with Picard

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
It is like an idea a child would have. Secretive society so they all have fake front doors. They would all know they are fake, so nothing is secretive, so there is no point. It's just stupid.

So you believe everything in a culture has to have an actual point? Humans in the real world have fake decorative shit that's there due to custom and tradition all the time. The damn shutters on my house are empty shells drilled into the brick and definitely can't cover my windows, there's no point to them. The columns on my front porch are not load bearing members so there's no point to them since they're not holding up the house. MY LIFE IS LAZY WRITING!!!!!!

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It was literally a part of Palladian architecture, especially in Britain, to have false doors 'out' of rooms, that otherwise led to brick walls, just for the sake of symmetry with actual doors in the opposite corners.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I'm definitely still "engaged" with the plot, but man, is this a slow burn. Also, could she stop calling him "JL"?! It's annoying and weird.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
It's very common in the UK for people to never use the front door. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "fake" door, but it's for doctors and funerals.

Also, from Discworld: "There were only three times in your life when it was proper to come through the front door, and you were carried every time."

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with all of this. That style of TV is gone and TNG was kind of the high-brow version of that style of 90s episodic sci-fi. I suppose, in actuality, it invented it really.

In terms of carpeted sets and harsh lighting, I can't say I miss that per say but it definitely was a look and a choice.

The Orville actually mostly follows the TNG play book, but it's certainly a relic from television past in general yeah. It's certainly got better music post s3 tng

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I agree the early scenes w/ Raffi were a bit clunky to me. So you had a bad end to your starfleet career. And after 14 years you're still not in any way over it? I hope her character improves, because I do like the actress quite a bit.

I thought the episode got better as it went along, the 2nd half was much better than the first. I'm still all in on this story.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I agree the early scenes w/ Raffi were a bit clunky to me. So you had a bad end to your starfleet career. And after 14 years you're still not in any way over it? I hope her character improves, because I do like the actress quite a bit.

I thought the episode got better as it went along, the 2nd half was much better than the first. I'm still all in on this story.

As I was saying with my partner last night. When Starfleet fires you, not many upstanding opportunities in the Federation are going to show up.

Starfleet is supposed to be the best of the best of the best. when you are told someone there got fired, doesn't matter why, your not going to want that person on your job.

So fourteen years ago not only did her career end, but her career prospects for anything other than Shady business ended as well

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Starfleet is supposed to be the best of the best of the best. when you are told someone there got fired, doesn't matter why, your not going to want that person on your job.
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. If Starfleet are the "best of the best of the best", then anyone who got far enough in Starfleet to be a Lieutenant Commander must be pretty good. Who's not going to want that person? It's like deciding that although someone commanded a Navy SEAL team, they later got fired for insubordination so no, they can't be on your paintball team.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
As the they went to warp, first thought was "wait, episode isn't over yet is it? already??" it flew by, all three episodes have done so, so far. Really surprised reading people think the episodes should've been condensed, or that some (one) is fast forwarding...
If anything, the episodes should be longer...

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
If you're not in Starfleet, the only career options are Restaurant Owner or Archeologist.

As the they went to warp, first thought was "wait, episode isn't over yet is it? already??" it flew by, all three episodes have done so, so far. Really surprised reading people think the episodes should've been condensed, or that some (one) is fast forwarding...
If anything, the episodes should be longer...

I don't think anyone thinks they should have been condensed, but rather they should have been combined into a longer form pilot. Obviously that wasn't done for CBSAA subscription reasons though. There really is a complete through-line plot for Ep 1-3 that finally gets Picard back into space so it would make sense. Maybe they'll do that on the disc release.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You know, I wonder if they would have needed to get special permission to use the TNG theme under the old regime because technically it's the theme from the first movie.

Yep, historically any usage of alexander courage's theme has special clearance rights, although with the merger done now it's entirely moot.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, historically any usage of alexander courage's theme has special clearance rights, although with the merger done now it's entirely moot.
It's a good theme, but it makes me wonder why they chose to reuse it originally. But I guess things were much simpler back then when everything was under the same umbrella.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh, the season soundtrack is on spotify.

Here's the "engage" moment:

and the whole soundtrack:

It's a good theme, but it makes me wonder why they chose to reuse it originally. But I guess things were much simpler back then when everything was under the same umbrella.

They didn't, originally.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Started off slow but overall great third episode.

The Earl Grey references have now appeared in every episode. Has the company been paying for the product placement/advertising all these decades or what?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

A societal quirk it's fine, there's plenty of inane traditions we have much less the Star Trek caricatures of whatever aspect of humanity that the other races are meant to portray. The dumb part is when they used that to have Soji sit behind her and it's treated as the magic key to get through to her.

The episode of DS9 where Julian is recruited to help other people who had been genetically modified was cartoonish in its portrayal of mental illness but this was even worse with all the extras aimlessly shambling around like zombies in a cage.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The episode of DS9 where Julian is recruited to help other people who had been genetically modified was cartoonish in its portrayal of mental illness but this was even worse with all the extras aimlessly shambling around like zombies in a cage.
Yeah, the ex-Borg Romulan extras felt lifted straight out of a 90's TV series. It really took me out of the scene.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I feel bad for the doctor from Voyager. All that time gaining independence, bringing a mobile emitter back to earth, writing popular holo novels about the liberation of holographic life.

Then Holo-people still get shut off on the whims of surly humans.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
the paradox of star trek it's too slow and too fast at the same time lol

Id say this is a direct contrast to the stylings of TNG versus Picard

I mean it's been a while since I've seen Farpoint, but we had what, 15 minutes between them setting up the crew and then introducing Q and them then getting into hijinx

I know Farpoint had its detractors but I'd argue that's all I needed for that. Basic setup done, crew in space, different personalities, throw an alien entity in the mix then go go go!

Likewise for most of the episodes. 3 minutes of the crew doing normal stuff, introduce problem A of the week then bang. A plot with B side story intermixing, build up, resolution.

I enjoyed TNG very much for its simplicity in that regard. It stripped out the fat (to sometimes it's bad as well as good) and showed the problem solving and how those characters reacted and handled those philosophical and literal problems

Picard is going for an 8-10 episode dramatic arc. I get it, I can enjoy it, but it's not why I felt Picard the character got / gets to shine. Three episodes of him being introduced slowly back into the world and getting back into space is a harsh contrast to before

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As I was saying with my partner last night. When Starfleet fires you, not many upstanding opportunities in the Federation are going to show up.

So fourteen years ago not only did her career end, but her career prospects for anything other than Shady business ended as well

Why would Starfleet fire you because your superior officer resigned? Why do they "fire" anyone when it's a military service, not a corporation? You fall out of favour and they transfer you to a non-prestigious posting, not discharge you.

Also the Federation wouldn't get to be the Federation if they maintained present-day views on prejudice. If they shunned a person for losing a job (and directly drove her to being a drug-addled misfit), can you imagine what that means for ex-convicts and the re-offending rate?

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I think my favourite characters so far are Picard's Romulan housekeepers.

TV is all about serialization now. A single episode leads into the next.

Blame Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Sopranos, How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory and others.

When shows try to tone down serialization they get their episodes refer to as filler even if they do have plot elements that come back later.

Not sure I'd agree that the Sopranos is a heavily serialized show. Each season lazily winds its way through an overarching plot, but most episodes have one or two intertwined stories which start and end in that episode, but somtimes have consequences beyond that it.