• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
So Hugh is the same Hugh from TNG right?

Raffi's property, that's where they filmed that one episode of TOS with Kirk fighting the reptile guy isn't it. Also where Bill and Ted died but that's beside the point.

Would have thought that Raffi would have somewhat better housing, but it kinda felt like that might have been more on her than what society would have gave her in that time if she applied for it.

One thing irked me, in the flashback they mention they needed to save tens of millions of Romulans but in reality it should be billions. Look at how many people we got on Earth alone, sci fi always has a knack for low balling numbers when it comes to populations. Star Wars does that too.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
In a society where nearly anything can be replicated, the only resource limitation would be the energy required to replicate things.

On a planet like Earth, there's likely so much energy available that everyone's basic needs are taken care of (and then some), so my guess is that everyone gets an energy budget that limits what they can replicate and how often they can transport. Once you've hit your budget, that's it. But if you want a burger, the replicator's always gonna make one.

The real interesting thing is how everything above a basic energy budget is allocated and why. Who gets to live in the upper levels of those skyscrapers? You have to assume that if you have a job, you get a surplus to your energy budget, which can then be bartered for better housing and whatnot, but how is that done? Are their varying levels of energy income based on your profession and role?

At that point, you have a currency and "money" but not in the sense of hard currency, so all of our noble crews were probably saying that they don't have money in the technical sense, which is the best sense.

Oct 25, 2017
My god. CBS All Access on Prime is a dumpster fire. Got distracted the last 10 minutes of Ep2, and went to rewind. It keeps going to a commercial, and taking me to Ep3. I've watched about 20 commercials trying to rewind, and fast forward from the beginning. A couple of times it played the commercial, then the app crashed telling me something went wrong...

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just rewatched All good things.. the other day, and Q specifically says that he'll see Picard at the end (of his life).

So, if the theory of this entire series ending with his departure, and especially with tonight's dialog about being the "primary contact with the Q continuum" - I have high hope we'll see John De Lancie at some point before this show wraps up.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I just rewatched All good things.. the other day, and Q specifically says that he'll see Picard at the end (of his life).

So, if the theory of this entire series ending with his departure, and especially with tonight's dialog about being the "primary contact with the Q continuum" - I have high hope we'll see John De Lancie at some point before this show wraps up.

Are you sure about that? I thought he said "See you... Out There!" Meaning that it's not the last we've seen of Q. And it ties into the "exploration of existence" that Q told him was the true challenge laid before humanity.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's all but given Q shows up at some point. If to be a stinker or a helper, who can say.

Might be both.

Q has to be the cliffhanger / tag at the end of the season. It's the obvious play.

That or Soji dies and Q swoops in out of nowhere gives Picard a do-over because Q gives some overexplained reason ("Well, I was the reason the Borg came as early as they did, I guess I'll give you a mulligan")

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
One thing irked me, in the flashback they mention they needed to save tens of millions of Romulans but in reality it should be billions. Look at how many people we got on Earth alone, sci fi always has a knack for low balling numbers when it comes to populations. Star Wars does that too.
Romulans have their own ships which they would've been saving people with also. The ones they couldn't/wouldn't save are the ones Picard's fleet would've saved.

Oct 25, 2017
Raffi's property, that's where they filmed that one episode of TOS with Kirk fighting the reptile guy isn't it. Also where Bill and Ted died but that's beside the point.

Oh that was a kind of hilarious meta joke this episode pulls. They just straight up say it's Vasquez Rocks, the actual name of that area in LA County. It's used in a TON of things.

That might be a little human-centric of a POV. The Romulans might have just settled and developed to a different population level.

Like consider the Vulcans, from what we've seen of the planet itself, it doesn't seem to be populated by billions of Vulcans, we've seen no great cities of Vulcan, just lots and lots of desert and rocks.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
In a society where nearly anything can be replicated, the only resource limitation would be the energy required to replicate things.

On a planet like Earth, there's likely so much energy available that everyone's basic needs are taken care of (and then some), so my guess is that everyone gets an energy budget that limits what they can replicate and how often they can transport. Once you've hit your budget, that's it. But if you want a burger, the replicator's always gonna make one.

The real interesting thing is how everything above a basic energy budget is allocated and why. Who gets to live in the upper levels of those skyscrapers? You have to assume that if you have a job, you get a surplus to your energy budget, which can then be bartered for better housing and whatnot, but how is that done? Are their varying levels of energy income based on your profession and role?

At that point, you have a currency and "money" but not in the sense of hard currency, so all of our noble crews were probably saying that they don't have money in the technical sense, which is the best sense.
DS9 established that people use credits for transporters, so it's probably the same for other stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
So I was wondering how Rafi can live alone in the middle of nowhere when you figure the population of Earth would make things pretty crowded.......or enough humans live off-world so Earth isn't overpopulated?

Hugh was in this episode? How did I miss that?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, I am loving the soundtrack in this series, esp. the intro with that subtle hint of TNG. It's beautiful.
Agreed, the soundtrack and the theme are great. And I'm loving their moments of use of the main Star Trek theme too.

When are the Romulan brother and sister gonna fuck? It's not prestige TV until it happens.
Yeah lol, definitely felt like that.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
So Hugh is the same Hugh from TNG right?

Yes. Same actor, same character.

That might be a little human-centric of a POV. The Romulans might have just settled and developed to a different population level.

Well, two things to consider:
  • Two thousand years of space travel to spread out
  • It's very likely that the Romulan Star Empire was also doing their own primary evacuation.
The old sourcebook stated a population of 18 Billion, so even if that number is no longer canon, you'd guess that the planet has its own epic evacuation, and then a huge number of deals from other empires to help out. Starfleet doing everything itself would only make sense if the events of Nemesis had 100% annihilated the Star Empire's fleet rather than just take over the infrastructure.

So I was wondering how Rafi can live alone in the middle of nowhere when you figure the population of Earth would make things pretty crowded.......or enough humans live off-world so Earth isn't overpopulated?

Hugh was in this episode? How did I miss that?

Same reason; free food, easy travel, climate control machines, and just way better construction. She might live in a dump but as long as she can replicate dinner and isn't paying the heating bill...

He's the ex-borg guy leading to the interview. He has a lot less "stuff" on him, because generally all of the ex Borg remove implants and stop trying to look like death machines... (See: Seven of Nine)

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The only Romulans to be assimilated caused a Borg cube to catastrophically malfunction and the Romulan drones to go insane?

Further bolsters my theory that Romulans are bio-androids.

I don't even know how that would work with the history of the species through the franchise. After all, they're descendants of the same ancient progenitor species as Humans, Klingons, Cardassians, pretty much the entirety of Humanoid life in the galaxy as established in "The Chase."

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Same actor, same character.

Well, two things to consider:
  • Two thousand years of space travel to spread out
  • It's very likely that the Romulan Star Empire was also doing their own primary evacuation.
The old sourcebook stated a population of 18 Billion, so even if that number is no longer canon, you'd guess that the planet has its own epic evacuation, and then a huge number of deals from other empires to help out. Starfleet doing everything itself would only make sense if the events of Nemesis had 100% annihilated the Star Empire's fleet rather than just take over the infrastructure.

Same reason; free food, easy travel, climate control machines, and just way better construction. She might live in a dump but as long as she can replicate dinner and isn't paying the heating bill...

He's the ex-borg guy leading to the interview. He has a lot less "stuff" on him, because generally all of the ex Borg remove implants and stop trying to look like death machines... (See: Seven of Nine)

I'm watching it again, I recognize him this time

star-trek-picard-hugh-borg-1200754-1280x0.jpeg

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I watched the first episode of the show, then started watching TNG for the first time. I've seen all the movies and I know a ton about it, but I've never actually sat down and watched it. Now, it's part of my nightly ritual, going through all the episodes I've heard of for so long and checking out the weirdly adorable funny ones that you don't usually see on top ten lists.

I just went from 'Allegiance' to episode three in 'Picard,' and just the difference in the way television is structured and shot is astounding. It's not really 'Picard's' fault, it's just the modernity of filmmaking and prestige TV these days, but comparing the two is fascinating.

I really miss the carpeted sets, harsh TV lighting, constant stream of awesome guest stars and character actors. I had no idea Tony Todd was Worf's brother! Or that Shooter McGavin briefly got to captain his own doomed Enterprise. Today's shows are so serialized, you don't have all new stories to cast for and sets to design. You could never have silly holodeck episodes anymore, or people would be tripping over themselves to call it a "bottle episode" first. I LOVE being able to just pick any episode at my leisure, watch one before bed and call it a night.

Even the way scenes are shot and edited in TNG seems like ancient history. The dialogue is almost theatrical, it's not naturalistic at all and the takes are suuuuper long. I can hear Brent Spiner and Levar Burton getting overwhelmed by all the techno babble they have to memorize after like a four-minute conversation walking through engineering with no cuts. By comparison, that conversation with Rafi in the cold open had more jarring cuts than a WWE match, it's just dialogue at breakneck speed.

Watching TNG, I you can still see the foundation of a '60s show produced at Desilu. The language of television production and editing just doesn't work that way anymore, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. Modernity doesn't really suit Star Trek.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how that would work with the history of the species through the franchise. After all, they're descendants of the same ancient progenitor species as Humans, Klingons, Cardassians, pretty much the entirety of Humanoid life in the galaxy as established in "The Chase."
If the Vulcans based them on their own genetic structure they would also share the same progenitor DNA.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about any of you but watching episode 2 made me go back to my 10 year old self of watching Star Trek TNG and felt giddy about it

Oct 25, 2017
that was good, I liked Raffi's by the end and yeah it's obvious she chooses to live there, not that she's poor. Not everyone is going to want to live in a giant mansion or in the middle of downtown

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
that was good, I liked Raffi's by the end and yeah it's obvious she chooses to live there, not that she's poor. Not everyone is going to want to live in a giant mansion or in the middle of downtown
Heh. It's more that 400 years from now, people still don't treat mental health issues seriously.

Where's Troi when you need her. Or Ezri? lol

Oct 25, 2017
A lot, currently about 95% of the population lives on 10% of the available land so the surface is pretty empty. A lot of that is desert etc. but that should no longer be a problem in the Star Trek future.

Yea, in Star Trek's future I expect people to be living in big cities in the deserts and Arctic since, I assume, they figured out how to do it in a way that doesn't harm the environment

Can't have everyone living in 100 story condo buildings, can you?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
He should of had knowledge from his time with the Borg. Seven knows the events of First Contact.
7 was also a big deal, Hugh was a basic drone. It's entirely possible that a regular drone isn't going to remember the entirety of the Borg's knowledge when disconnected. That or what ever borg part that had that information was able to be removed.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Patrick Stewart is holding my attention still which is a really good thing because not much else in this show is. Every scene away from him (especially on the Borg ship) feels like a trial. And while I'm not much of a nitpicker, it's really hard for me to reconcile this show's vision of the future with established Trek. Just Raffi living in poverty on a supposedly moneyless Earth (while she points out Picard is far richer) took me immediately out of the episode. In our current political climate, I want this show to be a lot more comforting than it is but it's basically following in Discovery's footsteps, which is immensely disappointing.

I just want to say I agree with all of this. As you said there was just too much weird, nonsensical stuff holding this episode back. And no offense to Michelle Hurd as an actress but I hope the character improves quickly, because I absolutely hate Raffi so far. She just comes off as an unlikable pathetic loser and a jerk constantly projecting contempt for everyone else in every scene she's in. I was so irritated when they panned to her rolling her eyes when Picard said "Engage" ruining an otherwise wonderful little moment (that music).

Not as strong as the first two but otherwise enjoyed the rest of the episode:

-Stewart was amazing as always, his ability to shine and connect with the other characters even in weaker scenes is uncanny.

-Still plenty of of contemplative chat scenes (even though the ones with Raffi were stupid and made no sense as stated above)

-Looooove Allison Pill.

-Chateau fight scene was baller.

-Seeing Hugh was great, really interested to see where his character goes now that he is no longer a drone.

-I laughed when I noticed that the Romulan patient was the actress who played George's boozy, sarcastic mother in law/Susan's mom on Seinfeld. lol

-Captain Rios was ok, pretty sad his hologram assistant is a more entertaining character.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say I agree with all of this. As you said there was just too much weird, nonsensical stuff holding this episode back. And no offense to Michelle Hurd as an actress but I hope the character improves quickly, because I absolutely hate Raffi so far. She just comes off an unlikable pathetic loser and a jerk constantly projecting contempt for everyone else in every scene she's in. I was so irritated when they panned to her rolling her eyes when Picard said "Engage" ruining an otherwise nice little moment.

Otherwise really dug the rest of the episode:

-Stewart was amazing as always

-Still plenty of of contemplative chat scenes (even though the ones with Raffi were stupid and made no sense)

-Looooove Allison Pill

-Chateau fight scene was baller

-Hugh was great, really interested to see where his character goes now that he is no longer a drone

-I laughed when I noticed that the Romulan patient was the actress who played George's boozy, sarcastic mother in law/Susan's mom on Seinfeld. lol

-Captain Rios was ok, pretty sad his hologram assistant is a more entertaining character.

Holy crap that was her LOL

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying the show so far. The Borg are actually kind of interesting again. I would probably agree with many of the criticisms here, but I think my expectations are properly calibrated. I wouldn't mind future Trek shows set in this vision of 2399 and beyond.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say I agree with all of this. As you said there was just too much weird, nonsensical stuff holding this episode back. And no offense to Michelle Hurd as an actress but I hope the character improves quickly, because I absolutely hate Raffi so far. She just comes off an unlikable pathetic loser and a jerk constantly projecting contempt for everyone else in every scene she's in. I was so irritated when they panned to her rolling her eyes when Picard said "Engage" ruining an otherwise nice little moment.

Otherwise really dug the rest of the episode:

-Stewart was amazing as always

-Still plenty of of contemplative chat scenes (even though the ones with Raffi were stupid and made no sense)

-Looooove Allison Pill

-Chateau fight scene was baller

-Hugh was great, really interested to see where his character goes now that he is no longer a drone

I'm not sure whether this makes or breaks the episode now lol

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
You know a subtle thing I really liked. Hugh still walks like he did when he was Borg.

It's a subtle touch that shows how much of his existence as a Borg shaped him. I do however wish they did something to make him not just look like a human, like have his hair grow in green or something.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
You know a subtle thing I really liked. Hugh still walks like he did when he was Borg.

It's a subtle touch that shows how much of his existence as a Borg shaped him. I do however wish they did something to make him not just look like a human, like have his hair grow in green or something.

Man, I need to watch the TNG episode with Hugh again. Gonna queue that up in the next few days.

She was rolling her eyes at the Dr.'s reaction and I was right there with her. The giddiness is already on my nerves also. Quit nerding out and play it cool. lol

Ah, ok. Still kind of annoying though, feels a little too self aware.